Possible IT, Computer & Tech. Connection to the Long Island Case, Perp & Victims

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wasn't trying to disparage W/S either...they probably have excellent security, but is it possible for someone to get my IP address?
I'm not that concerned...more curious...and good advice to all to keep your public info at a minimum

*If* someone placed a Trojan in a file containing some of the extensions in post #139 of this thread and you opened it, yes it's possible. It also would depend on how good your anti-virus software is and whether or not you have firewall protection installed. Another variable to consider is how good the site security is on the websites you peruse and might open files.

Also see post #110 of this thread. It's about cell-phone hacking/phreaking but the same principles would apply to a computer.

On any website or forum you visit, be careful of what you open. My own personal policy that I follow even here is I never open jpgs or pdfs. I am also extremely careful of what links I click on. One of the reasons I provide the information I do along with the links I post is so that people have the details to conduct their own internet searches in case they don't want to use my link.

If your concerned about someone tracing your IP as you surf check out the Tor Browser. I've heard very good things about it from various computer geeks. It's free.

Tor
Torproject.org
Tor Browser Bundle
https://www.torproject.org/

"The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked."

*If* someone placed a Trojan in a file containing some of the extensions in post #139 of this thread and you opened it, yes it's possible. It also would depend on how good your anti-virus software is and whether or not you have firewall protection installed. Another variable to consider is how good the site security is on the websites you peruse and might open files.

Also see post #110 of this thread. It's about cell-phone hacking/phreaking but the same principles would apply to a computer.

On any website or forum you visit, be careful of what you open. My own personal policy that I follow even here is I never open jpgs or pdfs. I am also extremely careful of what links I click on. One of the reasons I provide the information I do along with the links I post is so that people have the details to conduct their own internet searches in case they don't want to use my link.

If your concerned about someone tracing your IP as you surf check out the Tor Browser. I've heard very good things about it from various computer geeks. It's free.

Tor
Torproject.org
Tor Browser Bundle
https://www.torproject.org/

"The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked."

bbm

Very interesting. Thank you very much Dwntwn...you are a gem! Sounds like great advice for all of us rookies! I like the way you post - telling us how you got to your links - most excellent thinking IMHO. I will take your advice to not open jpegs or pdf's...but seriously, Thank You. I never did get an answer from other sources...

Recently, while reading through a notorious (MOO & *Not* WS) Long Island serial killer related website, I accidently clicked on the Facebook link on their homepage. A “Warning” was promptly displayed that stated the following:

“Potential Clickjacking/UI Redressing Attempt!”
“...intercepted a mouse or keyboard interaction with a partially hidden element.”

Although Facebook is a very common vector for this type of attack, Clickjacks can be present on *Any* website. They are very simple to create but very hard to spot.

COMPUTERWORLD
FAQ: Clickjacking – should you be worried?
Nearly all browsers are vulnerable to this new attack class, but details
are scarce
By Gregg Keizer
September 29, 2008
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9115818/FAQ_Clickjacking_should_you_be_worried_

“What is clickjacking?”

"Think of any button on any Web site that you can get to appear between the browser walls. Wire transfers on banks, Digg buttons, CPC advertising banners, Netflix queue.... The list is virtually endless, and these are relatively harmless examples. Next, consider that an attack can invisibly hover these buttons below the users' mouse, so that when they click on something they visually see, they actually are clicking on something the attacker wants them to."

“In plain English, clickjacking lets hackers and scammers hide malicious stuff under the cover of the content on a legitimate site.”

TrendLabs
MALWARE BLOG
Threat News and Information Direct from the Experts
Clickjacking Woes
Oct 17
8:18 pm (UTC-7)
by Jovi Umawing (Technical Communications)
http://blog.trendmicro.com/clickjacking-woes/

“Regarding clickjacking, there are three significant points that should be considered:”

“Clickjacking techniques are used with little or no leniency since clickjacks can take control of how users navigate within the page by, say, making all links in certain a Web page bogus. Consequently, users are allowed to click any link they feel lured to but the clickjacks still end up directing them where hackers want them to.”

“Clickjacks can use any form of link (image link in the form of buttons or text link) to pull users to click them. The sad part is that no user will even know that he/she is already within a hijacked page. Only Web security/reputation services can block the bad pages.”

“Lastly and perhaps the most diabolic is that clickjacking techniques have made the exploit adaptable in certain situations.”

“For example, in case a user’s browser has been set to block out JavaScript execution, other methods take in place such as using iframes to harvest user’s click actions.”

Reuters
Facebook takes on 'clickjacking' spammers
in court
By Laura L. Myers
Seattle Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:06pm EST
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/27/us-facebook-spam-lawsuits-idUSTRE80Q07120120127

“(Reuters) - Facebook and the state of Washington sued a company on Thursday they accused of a practice called "clickjacking" that fools users of the world's top social network into visiting advertising sites, divulging personal information and spreading the scam to friends.”

Having been a member here for three years, I have great faith in WS providing as much security as it possible to have on a forum of this type. I wouldn't worry.

This is one site I never worry about. That said, I tend to keep my interwebz footprints scarce, like a ranger from the north. ;)

There is some very interesting information in this linked article about “keyloggers” and “burn phones”.

Please be sure to read the “Discussion Threads” at the end of the article. There is *Important Info* in there too!

Gawker
TECH SUPPORT
The Mercenary Techie Who
Troubleshoots for Drug
Dealers and Jelous Lovers
BY ADRIAN CHEN
Jan 25, 2012 12:13 PM
http://gawker.com/5878862/the-merce...-and-jealous-lovers?comment=46369056#comments

The article linked below has some helpful information on how to maintain privacy while surfing the net. Included in the article is a helpful, easy to follow how-tow on how to keep from being tracked while surfing, depending on what browser is used.

Lifehacker
PRIVACY
Everyone's Trying to Track
What You Do on the Web:
Here's How to Stop Them
BY ALAN HENRY
FEB 22, 2012 8:00 AM
http://lifehacker.com/5887140/every...what-you-do-on-the-web-heres-how-to-stop-them

I wonder if LI & NYPD cops have this type of equipment available to them in their cruisers?

Popular Mechanics
Should Cops Be Allowed to Scan Your
Phone During a Traffic Stop?
By Glenn Derene
April 19, 2011 3:00 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...scan-your-phone-during-a-traffic-stop-5587825

“In Michigan, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has filed a complaint alleging that Michigan State Police officers used forensic cellphone analyzers to snoop in drivers' cellphones during routine traffic stops. PM talked to a Fourth Amendment expert to sort through whether that amendment's protections against illegal search and seizure should stop an officer from scanning your phone.”

"The device used by the Michigan State Police is a portable forensic system called the Cellebrite UFED that can suck data from a variety of devices, including multiple Android phones and Apple iOS devices such as the iPhone and iPad. The company did not immediately return phone calls, but according to Cellebrite's product description, the UFED can grab email, Web bookmarks, Web history, SIM data, cookies, notes, MMS, instant messages, Bluetooth devices, locations, journeys, GPS fixes, call logs, text messages, contacts and more."

I wonder if LI & NYPD cops have this type of equipment available to them in their cruisers?

Popular Mechanics
Should Cops Be Allowed to Scan Your
Phone During a Traffic Stop?
By Glenn Derene
April 19, 2011 3:00 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...scan-your-phone-during-a-traffic-stop-5587825

“In Michigan, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has filed a complaint alleging that Michigan State Police officers used forensic cellphone analyzers to snoop in drivers' cellphones during routine traffic stops. PM talked to a Fourth Amendment expert to sort through whether that amendment's protections against illegal search and seizure should stop an officer from scanning your phone.”

"The device used by the Michigan State Police is a portable forensic system called the Cellebrite UFED that can suck data from a variety of devices, including multiple Android phones and Apple iOS devices such as the iPhone and iPad. The company did not immediately return phone calls, but according to Cellebrite's product description, the UFED can grab email, Web bookmarks, Web history, SIM data, cookies, notes, MMS, instant messages, Bluetooth devices, locations, journeys, GPS fixes, call logs, text messages, contacts and more."

no,li does not have these in there cars nor do nypd!

I am currently looking for what the Suffolk County and Nassau County police departments use.

It looks like the NYPD uses “MOBILEedit! Forensic Software”:

MOBILedit! Forensic Software
http://www.cellforensics.com/

PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE
OF THE
SUFFOLK COUNTY LEGISLATURE
Thursday, December 15, 2011, at 10:00 a.m.
legis.suffolkcountyny.gov/clerk/cmeet/ps/2011/PS121511.pdf

“As you can imagine, the Homicide Task Force which was created were now actively involved and following up on all their contacts, either through cell phones, computers or otherwise; a very slow, methodical type of investigation.”

“The District Attorney and I had said on many occasions, this is not CSI, it's not Criminal Minds. This is going to take a long time because it was going to involve technology and it was going to involve people who were having contacts with strangers, which is not the norm in homicide cases. Serial killer cases are very, very difficult to solve."

Here is info on one of the central LE persons involved in the LISK case that apparently is an expert on Digital Evidence, his name is:
Inspector Stuart K Cameron.

Inspector Cameron is the commanding officer of the Suffolk County,
New York, Police Department’s Special Patrol Bureau in Ronkonkoma.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/august-2011/digital-evidence

August 2011

Digital Evidence
By Stuart Cameron, M.S.

p15_cameron.jpg

Here are some links to videos including Inspector Stuart K Cameron.
<modsnip>

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/police-link-long-island-bodies-to-atlantic-city-murders-ncx-20110407
Police Probe Possible Link Between Long Island Bodies and Atlantic City MurdersPublished : Thursday, 07 Apr 2011, 4:28 PM EDT

ATLATICSTUARTKCAMERONINSPECTORSUFFOLKCOUNTYPOLICE.jpg

Screenshot from the above video of Stuart K Cameron

http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/9559
Suffolk Police Continue Search for Shannan Gilbert
Look for Clues Into Her Disappearance in Oak Beach Marsh Area
Reported by Holli Haerr
Published: Dec. 6, 2011 in

http://fios1news.com/longisland/node/9617
Suffolk Police: Lip Gloss Was Found in The Marshland
Reported by Mike Stevens
Publihed: 5:56 pm, Dec. 9, 2011

(In this above video Stuart K Cameron gives a LOT of info about the area where Shannon Gilbert's belongings where found, and where her ramins would be found a cupple of days later)

I would have been nervous too if Dormer was speaking about a high priority case that I was involved in. Where every detail is critical, and you should not show your hand. Especially when this guy (Dormer) has no regulator on his mouth, is apart of the rival political party, it was prety much sealed that you were leaving with a $200k pension no matter what, and the other political party pretty much ensures you WILL be collecting that pension soon because they are gonna boot your *advertiser censored*.

I would be sweating as well.

Theforeigner,

Thanks for posting the info you did! I still have it!

<modsnip>

slim

Re: this cell phone scanning technology:
Wow, that sounds like illegal search and seizure, IMO.

And, if a LE officer or a citizen has this type of scanner it might be a real big temptation to use the device, for not so reputable purposes, on unsuspecting people.

I recently posted about Clickjacking. For those who haven't read the post or don't remember what Clickjacking is, here is a quick explanation:

“Clickjacking, put simply, is when a button, image, video, or some form of embedded content on a website is overlaid by an invisible layer that sits on top of the site underneath it.”

“For instance, you may see a page with a movie embedded on it. You want to watch the movie, so you click on the play button. You don't think twice about it -- you've done it a million times. Meanwhile, a hacker has superimposed an invisible web page over the movie. It just so happens that a button allowing access to your camera and microphone has been placed over the movie's play button. Now, when you think you're playing the movie, you're actually permitting the hacker to access your video camera and microphone.”

“That invisible layer sitting on top of the page has intercepted and highjacked your mouse click.”

**The quoted portion above was taken from the “WIRED” article linked below. The article also contains easy-to-follow instructions on how to secure a web browser to prevent Clickjacking attacks:

WIRED
HOW-TO-WIKI
Prevent Clickjacking Attacks
http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Prevent_Clickjacking_Attacks

Here is another link to *Important*, useful and easy-to-follow instructions on how to secure web browsers. The paper also contains information on how to prevent Clickjacking attacks:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
US-CERT
UNITED STATES COMPUTER EMERGENCY READINESS TEAM
Securing Your Web Browser
Will Dormann and Jason Rafail
https://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/securing_browser/#Mozilla_Firefox

“This paper will help you configure your web browser for safer internet surfing. It is written for home computer users, students, small business workers, and any other person who works with limited Information Technology (IT) support and broadband (cable modem, DSL) or dial-up connectivity.”

The link below contains an excellent primer on how and when LE can legally surveil and search computers and communications data. Information on how and when LE can obtain subpoenas and warrants is included.

This should give everyone an idea of what LE might be doing in relation to the computer and cell phone technology that maybe involved with the LI serial killer case.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
The SSD Project
https://ssd.eff.org/

“First, we're going to talk about the threat to the data stored on your computer posed by searches and seizures by law enforcement, as well as subpoenas demanding your records.”

“Second, we're going to talk about the threat to your data on the wire — that is, your data as it's being transmitted — posed by wiretapping and other real-time surveillance of your telephone and Internet communications by law enforcement.”

“Third, we're going to describe the information about you that is stored by third parties like your phone company and your Internet service provider, and how law enforcement officials can get it.”

I just found this article. I didn't know that Sprint has a dedicated website for LE seeking to access cell phone records. I wonder if other cell phone network providers also offer dedicated websites for LE to access cell phone records?

THE DAILY BEAST
In Newsweek Magazine
Feb 18, 2010 7:00 PM EST
AUTHOR – Michael Isikoff
The Snitch in Your Pocket
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2010/02/18/the-snitch-in-your-pocket.html

“The Justice Department doesn't keep statistics on requests for cell-phone data, according to the spokeswoman. So it's hard to gauge just how often these records are retrieved. But Al Gidari, a telecommunications lawyer who represents several wireless providers, tells NEWSWEEK that the companies are now getting "thousands of these requests per month," and the amount has grown "exponentially" over the past few years. Sprint Nextel has even set up a dedicated Web site so that law-enforcement agents can access the records from their desks—a fact divulged by the company's "manager of electronic surveillance" at a private Washington security conference last October. "The tool has just really caught on fire with law enforcement," said the Sprint executive, according to a tape made by a privacy activist who sneaked into the event. (A Sprint spokesman acknowledged the company has created the Web "portal" but says that law-enforcement agents must be "authenticated" before they are given passwords to log on, and even then still must provide valid court orders for all nonemergency requests.)”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back