Possible IT, Computer & Tech. Connection to the Long Island Case, Perp & Victims

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for the link, I haven't been able to re-view it (I did watch it some time ago) due to some internet connection problems I have today.

But I think that if Lynn Barthelemy's attorney belive that the killer has great knowledge of technology, I think we should listen to him and take his views seriously, because he knows a lot more about the killers calls than we do.

And Snowstar what happened to the next post you posted??? it's gone now?! It was a GREAT question you asked, when you asked somthing like this:

"How could the killer know where Megan Waterman's mother worked, if Megan didn´t bring her cellphone when she met the killer? because Megans mother has another lastname than Megan, megans mother's last name is Ela.

And I have a suggestion how the caller could/might have gained personal knowledge/info about Megans mother; I belive he might have befriended her on facebook? pretending to be a friend, and later change his voice when calling.

Megans mother said: " Ela said the caller had an unusual tone "

Well after I thought about my question, I figured the call to Lorraine Ela came after her name was in the media. At first, I thought if the killer called her before the media got a hold of Megan's story, then Megan would have had to have her phone with her because their last names are different. I still find it strange that he knew where Lorraine Ela worked. I haven't seen any articles stating where she was employed. I'll have to look. Thank you for saying it was a great question!

Well after I thought about my question, I figured the call to Lorraine Ela came after her name was in the media. At first, I thought if the killer called her before the media got a hold of Megan's story, then Megan would have had to have her phone with her because their last names are different. I still find it strange that he knew where Lorraine Ela worked. I haven't seen any articles stating where she was employed. I'll have to look. Thank you for saying it was a great question!

Is it possible that the strange call to Lorraine could have been a reporter looking for more info for a story?

All I think she said about the caller was that it was someone presenting himself as an investigator. She took this as it being someone pretending to be a police detective investigating the case. But what if it was a legit journalist doing an investigation?

Do you know if she had a cell phone or ever used a disposable one?

Do you know if she had a cell phone or ever used a disposable one?
Molly Dilts? I don't think she had a cell phone because in the article it says she called her family from a pay phone. She might have had one but maybe couldn't afford to keep it activated. In the article it says she called her family collect. IMO

I'm soooo glad there are other people posting in here besides me! Woot!

Thanks Dwntwnslim for those questions. Just re-reading them and having just read about Kim Raffo's hubby it seems none of this was needed by him to get the phone to answer and work. It was turned on and his knowledge of how it worked was all that was needed.

Do you think what was written about Mr Raffo sounds plausible?

Going one step further, don't you find it odd the killer had not turned her phone off? That would make it easier to track, right?

Thanks Dwntwnslim for those questions. Just re-reading them and having just read about Kim Raffo's hubby it seems none of this was needed by him to get the phone to answer and work. It was turned on and his knowledge of how it worked was all that was needed.

Do you think what was written about Mr Raffo sounds plausible?

Going one step further, don't you find it odd the killer had not turned her phone off? That would make it easier to track, right?

I still don't know a whole lot about the AC cases so it's hard for me to have an opinion about them. But, from what I understand it does not necessarily matter if the phone is on or off. If a phone has an internal mic, LE can turn it on to eaves drop on conversations going on near the phone. It does not have to be turned on for them to do that. And LE can track the signal by doing that too. LE just needs to know the phone number, if I'm not mistaken.

From, what I understand (I'm still learning about this stuff) they only way to effectively keep your phone fr/ being hacked & tracked is to take out the SIM card (if the phone has one), take out the battery (if the phone does not have a SIM card) or place it in a Faraday bag.

Here is an interesting article about cell phone security:

Roger Crockett
Business: Wireless Expert Talks Cellphone Security
August 8, 2011
By Roger O. Crockett
http://rocrockett.com/2011/08/business-wireless-expert-talks-cellphone-security/

"If voicemail hacking is trivial what’s the more serious concern?"

"Singer: The more serious concern is phreaking (the activity of phone freaks who examine the intricacies of phones) or what I call phone breaking. Remember when iPhone and iPad customers were spooked earlier this year to find out that their devices have recorded a detailed history of their locations in an unprotected file? Apple was doing it for advertising purposes, but the fact is, you can do it for much more nefarious purposes. Smart phones, especially Android phones, are particularly vulnerable because they’re based on an open source platform. So when Google prints out millions of documentation for phones developers hundreds of people can figure out where the entry is for phreaking. They can embed code in an image or text like a blog and when you click on it, these so-called “exploits” release a thin “virus thread” that seeps into a smart phone and attaches itself to an element of the phone’s operating system. Think about a thin wisp emanating from Harry Potter’s wand. The phone becomes a reel and it pulls in the rest of the thread until it has the entire wand. Once that wand, or exploit, is inside your phone, it can control sensitive operations. Any file—audio, video, text—on phone belongs to me. Unless the user takes the battery out of the phone, the wand can control the microphone – even when it is turned off. It can turn the microphone on and off, recording everything in the immediate vicinity. Any picture taken by the phone can be sent to a remote website and made available for viewing."

According to 48 Hours, Lynn Barthelemy got a call from the likely killer. He said he was from the NYPD and wanted to know if she filed a missing persons report. I could not find anything else on this call to her....hmmm.

According to 48 Hours, Lynn Barthelemy got a call from the likely killer. He said he was from the NYPD and wanted to know if she filed a missing persons report. I could not find anything else on this call to her....hmmm.

Could you please post a link to the "48 hours" video, and add at what minute/sek that info is to be found in the video?

To me it sounds like somone got it mixed up with what megan watermans mother experienced.

OR, if it is true that Lynn Barthelemy ALSO got a call like that, just like MW's mother, then it seem like that the killer possibly is presenting yet another pattern.

Snowstar

It sure seems that you info concerning Melissa's mother Lynn Barthelemy is correct.
I found this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18559_162-20078763.html?pageNum=2

Quote:

"And the calls didn't stop coming. Eight in total, including one in which the likely killer spoke to Lynn. That time, he claimed he was with the NYPD and wanted to know if she had filed a missing persons report."

(Ther is more about the calls to MB's little sister in the link)

SO it sure seems that the killer have made TWO calls to two of the GB4 victim's mothers, in both cases pretending to a police officer.

One call to Megan Waterman's mother, pretending to be a LI police officer.

One call to Melissa Barthelemy's mother pretending to be a NYPD police officer.

Very interesting an most of all frigtening!

Snowstar

It sure seems that you info concerning Melissa's mother Lynn Barthelemy is correct.
I found this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18559_162-20078763.html?pageNum=2

Quote:

"And the calls didn't stop coming. Eight in total, including one in which the likely killer spoke to Lynn. That time, he claimed he was with the NYPD and wanted to know if she had filed a missing persons report."

(Ther is more about the calls to MB's little sister in the link)

SO it sure seems that the killer have made TWO calls to two of the GB4 victim's mothers, in both cases pretending to a police officer.

One call to Megan Waterman's mother, pretending to be a LI police officer.

One call to Melissa Barthelemy's mother pretending to be a NYPD police officer.

Very interesting an most of all frigtening!
Yes it is frightening! I tried to post a link earlier but I had problems with the link...sorry. I think you watched the same video anyway. I don't know if both women were called by the killer or 48 Hours made a mistake.....hmmm.

Going back to the one of the comments that Barthelemy's step dad said the SK made in his taunting phone calls ---

"I'm going to watch her body rot"

IMO, the killer didn't keep these bodies long. But, assuming he was speaking literally, I was curious about how he would be able to watch the bodies rot, unless he was actually stopping by the dumping places on a regular basis. That would be awfully risky. Or, is he keeping them somewhere for some time before disposing of them, that allows him to watch the various stages after death?

I think he keeps them a while. Just a gut feeling. I had thought this since the GB4 were first found. LE should be able to tell if decomp started in a different environment?? - at least I would hope so.

The bodies in various stages of decomposition, the victims reduced to bones showing the SK understood the process of decomposition, the bodies moved from one location to another certainly suggests he must be keeping them somewhere. Also suggests someone with medical knowledge of decomposition. If that makes sense. MOO. This case is so complicated and by now there is so much erroneous information in the mix, it is really hard for me to make sense of it all.

Forgive me for sounding indelicate but, I don't think watching a body decompose requires any special knowledge or training.

JMO.

I think he keeps them a while. Just a gut feeling. I had thought this since the GB4 were first found. LE should be able to tell if decomp started in a different environment?? - at least I would hope so.

From what I understand the ME should be able to ascertain where the various stages on decomp. took place - even in water. I posted a link about somewhere and I think Theforeigner did too. I will try to find them.

P.S.

Here is one link:

Post #13
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134796"]Forensic Evidence - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

The bodies in various stages of decomposition, the victims reduced to bones showing the SK understood the process of decomposition, the bodies moved from one location to another certainly suggests he must be keeping them somewhere. Also suggests someone with medical knowledge of decomposition. If that makes sense. MOO. This case is so complicated and by now there is so much erroneous information in the mix, it is really hard for me to make sense of it all.

Who wants to bet me a beer that SG and the G4 were decomposed in the same canal where SG's possessions were found?
:please:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back