Possible lead in Susan Powell case, 8-18-11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Remind me how many miles he had put on his rental car? I vaguely remember it being 250, which wouldn't be enough to get to Ely. But I could have that mistaken.

Never mind. That wouldn't be relevant. I had to go back and refresh my memory. He didn't get the rental car until after they took his van.

The cold medicine makes me blurry. :sick:

Good point! Also - wanted to also throw this out. Was reminded of a post on FB - a person posted on the OLD Friends and Family of SP page - Link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=198478842187 - that she saw JP at a HOTEL on that day he said he was camping. She had told Police - and had not heard back. Posters got her in contact with SP's dad about this new lead. That was a couple weeks ago. Maybe it was the hotel lead they got, and it was in Ely, NV? If JP was AT the hotel, and not Pony Express (which as we all know was obviously a lie) then JP best be getting prepared to start answering questions and may be soon visiting the gray bar hotel.

I read the post and it sounds like it was a dream she had or something; and she wouldn't answer the questions posed to her. IMO

I hope this tip did not come from the Powell family :(

Remind me how many miles he had put on his rental car? I vaguely remember it being 250, which wouldn't be enough to get to Ely. But I could have that mistaken.

It was "several hundred". But remember, that was a second trip.

The midnight freezing-weather camping trip was supposedly to the "Pony Express" area - and they left at midnight, and were gone about 17 hours. In the family minivan, no less. The rental was a compact car. I doubt either of them went off-roading.

Ely, Nevada was founded as a stop on the Pony Express route.

There are two main routes to Ely, from West Valley City:

1 - Through "Pony Express" paved roads to Delta, then on US-50 to Ely.
544 miles round trip

2 - Via I-80 to Wendover, then south on US-93
472 miles round trip

By the way, those unpaved roads out by Simpson Springs? There was a wreck out there yesterday, with a small child killed when an SUV rolled. That's a rough road in the summer, in daylight. No one goes out in the dark, in muddy winter.

Cox also said Josh Powell had issued a restraining order against him. :banghead:

"I cannot approach him or the children,"
he said. :furious:

Cox said he had a court hearing next week about the restraining order.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=16858047

The possible lead on Susan totally evaporated when I read that. I totally forgot about it.

I cannot even adequately put into words how angry that makes me.

The kids come first. The kids see their grandparents no matter what you think of them, no matter what it takes.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. When Josh gets arrested... Josh's Dad is going to end up with those kids.
Susan's parents will have no basis to fight for custody because they haven't seen the kids in so long.

If they haven't gone to court to try and do anything... then a judge will give custody to the grandparent who has been in their lives consistently.

That angers me and saddens more than words are capable of explaining. :furious:

It was "several hundred". But remember, that was a second trip.

The midnight freezing-weather camping trip was supposedly to the "Pony Express" area - and they left at midnight, and were gone 18 hours. In the family minivan.

Ely, Nevada was founded as a stop on the Pony Express route.

Thanks, laytonian. I had put that all together after I posted. This definitely seems like the most logical possibility yet. He was gone, what, about nineteen hours (left at 10PM and returned at 5PM - do I have that about right)? So, figure ten hours of driving, and nine hours of sleeping and doing whatever it was he did. Plus, Ely's weather is even colder than SLC, if I'm not mistaken. Average low temperature in December is 10.6 degrees. That would explain the possible chapping on his hands.

I hope that he is a scared little man right now. If this is a credible lead, I really hope someone is watching out for those boys, for the next little while.

This is the best news I've heard in a while - I have a good feeling about this. I hope Susan can finally come home. Josh must be shaking in his little boy drawers right about now. I hope that they have eyes in the area already to see if anyone from the Powell family suddenly decides to take a (second?) midnight trip to Ely, NV after hearing news of the search.

(snip)
Susan Powell's best friend, Kiirsi Hellewell, said she learned about the developments in her friend's case from the media, but is encouraged by the news.

"I was really surprised because in all the time that Susan has been missing, I've never known the police to put out a press release, so that makes me think this is more credible," she said.

What the news may be, she has no clue. Whatever it is, she says it will be better than knowing nothing at all.

Thanks, laytonian. I had put that all together after I posted. This definitely seems like the most logical possibility yet. He was gone, what, about nineteen hours (left at 10PM and returned at 5PM - do I have that about right)? So, figure ten hours of driving, and nine hours of sleeping and doing whatever it was he did. Plus, Ely's weather is even colder than SLC, if I'm not mistaken. Average low temperature in December is 10.6 degrees. That would explain the possible chapping on his hands.

I hope that he is a scared little man right now. If this is a credible lead, I really hope someone is watching out for those boys, for the next little while.

The Salt Lake Tribune just put up a timeline: CLICK. EXCERPTS:

Afternoon, Dec. 6 • Neighbor JoVonna Owings dropped by the Powell’s home on Sunday afternoon to visit with Susan. The family had pancakes and eggs for dinner. Susan, who was feeling ill, lied down for a nap about 5 p.m. Owings left, as did Josh Powell, who said he was taking his two sons sledding.

8:30 p.m., Dec. 6 • A neighbor saw Josh Powell as he returned home and pulled into his garage.

12 a.m. to 12:30 a.m, Dec. 7 • Josh Powell said he left home with his two sons, then ages 2 and 4, to go camping at the Simpson Springs Campground, about 25 miles west of Vernon in the remote west desert of Tooele County while Susan went to sleep. This is approximately the time when the neighbor heard the car alarm go off in the Powell's garage.

Evening, Dec. 7 • Josh Powell and his two young sons returned home between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. He was taken to the West Valley Police station to be questioned.​

What's never been publicly revealed, is the timeline of the rental car, and the mileage.

(gentle snippage)

I have said it before and I'll say it again. When Josh gets arrested... Josh's Dad is going to end up with those kids.
Susan's parents will have no basis to fight for custody because they haven't seen the kids in so long.

I don't think so.

The children are with their father, because he's not been charged with a crime.
With the Powells bringing it all on themselves, including total hatred from the community, there will be no problem with the Coxes gaining custody of the children.

This is great but I must ask Why would LE announce on Thurs morning that they were going there Friday? Wonder why they didn't wait till tomorrow to announce it?

Cox also said Josh Powell had issued a restraining order against him. :banghead:

"I cannot approach him or the children,"
he said. :furious:

Cox said he had a court hearing next week about the restraining order.

The possible lead on Susan totally evaporated when I read that. I totally forgot about it.

I cannot even adequately put into words how angry that makes me.

The kids come first. The kids see their grandparents no matter what you think of them, no matter what it takes.

If they haven't gone to court to try and do anything... then a judge will give custody to the grandparent who has been in their lives consistently.

That angers me and saddens more than words are capable of explaining. :furious:

That's the worst news I have heard yet, in any of the recent new developments. These men are evil! JMO :sick:

I don't think so.

With the Powells bringing it all on themselves, including total hatred from the community, there will be no problem with the Coxes gaining custody of the children.

I agree on this one.

I don't think so.

I wish that were the case. Not likely going to happen anytime soon. WA State is the worst laws for any Grandparents rights cases! They will have to fight very hard to even get visitation. :banghead:

Mr. Cox says he is going to court next week on the restraining order. If Susans' remains are found, and JP is arrested, I see no problem with the Cox family being given custody of the kids....without JP being arrested, the Cox family have to play by whatever rules Josh says they have to, don't they?

This is great but I must ask Why would LE announce on Thurs morning that they were going there Friday? Wonder why they didn't wait till tomorrow to announce it?

Bumping this up...anyone have any ideas...

Bumping this up...anyone have any ideas...

This is JMO, or maybe wishfull thinking. I think something was found and waiting on an ID, dentals or something. I also would not be surprised to find out WVCPD has been out there since yesterday and is throwing the press off in case there was a leak.

This is JMO, or maybe wishfull thinking. I think something was found and waiting on an ID, dentals or something. I also would not be surprised to find out WVCPD has been out there since yesterday and is throwing the press off in case there was a leak.

WVCPD is holding a question and answer meeting (basically a press conference) in Ely, NV at 9:00 am - and press and cameras are invited to attend.

But they would not announce anything about 'remains' because would they not keep that quiet until the family is told. So I am slightly confused. (nothing new) ha..

I think you're right. They have likely been there already - and this may be the news Susan's family has needed for a long time. Her family may even know more, but are not able to speak about it.

WVCPD is holding a question and answer meeting (basically a press conference) in Ely, NV at 9:00 am - and press and cameras are invited to attend.

But they would not announce anything about 'remains' because would they not keep that quiet until the family is told. So I am slightly confused. (nothing new) ha..

I think you're right. They have likely been there already - and this may be the news Susan's family has needed for a long time. Her family may even know more, but are not able to speak about it.

That is interesting. If this turns out to be nothing...why not just issue another press release saying the lead didn't pan out?? Or maybe WVCPD is trying out a new tactic of being more vocal?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back