Possible lead in Susan Powell case, 8-18-11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am guessing they've gone to find some different shoes, a public restroom, and some bottled water supplies!!! The LE should have told them to dress for a long walk in rocky terrain at least!!

jmo

I think that is why the statement by LE of "I need to go change clothes" was said 3 times as a hint to the reporters so they would change too.

Cedar City & St. George are close by. I have family in the Ely area.

I'd probably go to a town that had relatives or friends in it.

But Elko's 20 miles closer than Cedar (shortest route....and St George is 65 miles further from Ely).

WDIV (Detroit) just reported on Susan Powell search during the 4:00 news. I'm pleased to know that they realize that local viewers are interested in this ongoing missing person case.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...san-Cox-Powell-case-focus-on-mine-shafts.html

Excellent article in the Deseret News. Explains (a little more) about the search warrent, etc.

Excerpts:
".....new information from a search warrant in the Susan Powell case prompted them to head to the Silver state."

"We were able to obtain information from a prior search warrant," Mike Powell said, explaining that the warrant was served during "the initial part of the investigation" and the information was "fairly recent."
:banghead:

A GPS planted on a vehicle, or in the rental car?

It must have something specific to do with "mines", because they can't get away from them.

Thanks Utahmom!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...san-Cox-Powell-case-focus-on-mine-shafts.html

snipped

"We were able to obtain information from a prior search warrant," Mike Powell said, explaining that the warrant was served during "the initial part of the investigation" and the information was "fairly recent." He would not specify when or where the warrant was served or whether the information was a result from crime lab tests.

I bet you this is something from the computer. Maps, searches for mines, something like that.
Computers can take forever to process depending on where they are sent. I would think actual forensic tests would have been done sooner.

It's not the rental car because they didn't know about that until after the fact.
And if it had GPS already they would have known that immediately.

"We were able to obtain information from a prior search warrant," Mike Powell said, explaining that the warrant was served during "the initial part of the investigation" and the information was "fairly recent."

He would not specify when or where the warrant was served or whether the information was a result from crime lab tests.

He said investigators chose to "utilize the media" in order to let people know the case is still an active investigation.

Excellent article in the Deseret News. Explains (a little more) about the search warrent, etc.

Here's a snippet:

"We were able to obtain information from a prior search warrant," Mike Powell said, explaining that the warrant was served during "the initial part of the investigation" and the information was "fairly recent." He would not specify when or where the warrant was served or whether the information was a result from crime lab tests.

So this makes we wonder... Did the original search warrants include wiretapping a phone or a home, or access to monitor email - something along those lines? :waitasec:

ETA: Seems like quite a few of us zeroed in on the same info...

can someone please tell me what happened at the press conference in regard to JP changing clothes or something?

Nothing.

The WVPD spokesman said that HE was going to change his clothes.
He said it three times.

I think Lera213 is right: it was a CLUE to at least one clueless reporter, that maybe they needed to think about what they were wearing. We saw the shoes; I can imagine a lacy blouse ;)

nothing.

The wvpd spokesman said that he was going to change his clothes.
He said it three times.

I think lera213 is right: It was a clue to at least one clueless reporter, that maybe they needed to think about what they were wearing. We saw the shoes; i can imagine a lacy blouse ;)

ok..thank you!

could it be that the bones found in 2010 were of a man but in that report from the kids, and just now spotted that they mentioned other things they found, perhaps Susan's Clothing? IS this why maybe the cop said 3 times I have to go change? As far as the search warrant perhaps the clothing they took of Susan's showed some other clothing similar to the one in the 2010 report of bones found?

I don't know just throwing things out there. My brain can get to step 2 or 3 then I get lost in my own brain. LOL

I would imagine if it was just that the reporters needed to change clothes... that the cop would have simply said... "Hey, I'm sorry we didn't let you know before... since we are going to let you go along with us while we search you might want to change your clothes and shoes. We are going to be actually going through some rough terrain."

I can't imagine him being so secretive about something like that. I am the type that is afraid to mention anything... I don't tell people if their fly is open or anything... but even I would say that to do a group of reporters. You aren't singling anyone out...

Anyone else glued to their computer??

Also, anything going on in the scanner threads? Or the basement?

jenniferstagg Jennifer Stagg
@ @ronaldo0501 I'm working on my stories for 5 and 6 on @KSL5TV. Searchers are still hiking and looking at mine shafts #findsusan

He also never needed to change clothes. Since he knew where they were headed, the most logical thing would have been to come already dressed for the occasion.

Just speculating, but in my neck of the woods, some police agencies do not allow officers to hold official press interviews out of uniform. For example, you'll probably never see someone from Nevada Highway Patrol on camera without their Smokey the Bear hat, something we regularly tease our local spokesman about.

I bet you this is something from the computer. Maps, searches for mines, something like that.
Computers can take forever to process depending on where they are sent. I would think actual forensic tests would have been done sooner.

It's not the rental car because they didn't know about that until after the fact.
And if it had GPS already they would have known that immediately.

There's two kinds of GPS for rental cars: one for the customer, and another that's like a lo-jack (it tracks the vehicles movements, for the rental company).
You can bet that they placed a lo-jack on Josh's minivan, while they had it in on the warrants (twice on that vehicle).

I think you're on the right track, with the computer.
Josh was a bit of a computer nerd. He created websites (not very good ones, but he did create them). He may have had some odd password thing that couldn't be tracked until recently. Or information uploaded somewhere else that was just retrieved.

I would imagine if it was just that the reporters needed to change clothes... that the cop would have simply said... "Hey, I'm sorry we didn't let you know before... since we are going to let you go along with us while we search you might want to change your clothes and shoes. We are going to be actually going through some rough terrain."

I can't imagine him being so secretive about something like that. I am the type that is afraid to mention anything... I don't tell people if their fly is open or anything... but even I would say that to do a group of reporters. You aren't singling anyone out...

If there was only one goofball reportress in pointy heels, it'd be singling her out. He mentioned "getting dirty", too. ;)

The part about "face will be the same" probably means "I'll have different clothes on, but you can still find me."

BenWinslow Ben Winslow
To answer many of your questions, there are NO cadaver dogs on this search. Just cops wandering into mines. @fox13now #findsusan #Utah
2 minutes ago

Josh Powell has been named a person of interest in the case, but there have never been any official suspects.
He and his father, Steve Powell, have since said they believe the woman ran away with another missing Utahn, Steven Koecher, and believe the pair may have been hiding out in Nevada.

"Who's going to look for you in Ely, Nev.?"
Steven Powell said after hearing of the police lead.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ox-Powell-case-focus-on-mine-shafts.html?pg=2

I still think that quote could easily be the real thought process that went into this... I see Josh figuring it out like this...

"Okay... now where do I put her that she can't be found... a mine is the best place... which mine?

Eureka is too close... what about Tintic... no... too close...

Nephi... no too close... what about Fish Springs.... no too close...

Something further away... Nobody would think I drove 4 -6 hours away... what is 4 - 6 hours away...."

*pulls up map*

"Hmmm Nevada. That might work... Henderson... no... Vegas... no..."

"Ely... hmmm Ely? That'd probably work.

Who is going to look for you, dead or alive... in Ely, Nevada???"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members