Post sentencing discussion

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM .. well that's the bit that was worrying me, because all she would need to do is grant it, and then if it was her presiding over the actual appeal, then all she will do again is say that the first judgement was the correct one. Reading kaos's post it doesn't seem as though that can happen though (I think!).

The NPA have to convince Masipa that a higher court could reach a different verdict

Ulrich Roux @ulrichroux · 3h 3 hours ago
To succeed with appl for leave 2 appeal,State must convince J Masipa that DIFF COURT could reach diff verdict upon re-assessing the case.

Here is an article with some details about the guy who drew the short straw. It appears the measured with 2 different standards. I read somewhere since then he is doing quite well, but it was definitely a big blow to his potential career.
http://www.iol.co.za/sport/more-sport/oscar-s-inclusion-cost-magakwe-dearly-1.1487532#.VE5RKiKG-Sp

from your link:

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/more-sport/oscar-s-inclusion-cost-magakwe-dearly-1.1487532#.VE5urpUtBjq

"Magakwe says his dream of competing at an Olympic games is not completely dead , with the Rio de Janeiro 2016 games coming up, however, he is struggling for confidence, and financially he is battling. Should he qualify for the 2016 games, he hopes to show the world what he is all about. "

Hopefully, there will be some benevolent financial backing for this man. Wouldn't it be great to see him succeed in '16!

To be honest I’ve a bit of mixed feelings about ANCWL role in this whole case. Appreciate their support for Reeva and agree the case is important beyond this single trial . .

. . but . . I don’t know what would be their role/influence in the process acting as “a friend of the court”. One of my worries is they might distract from a clear states strategy and reasoning as they may have other priorities. As kind of representing parts of the government ruling ANC I don’t like the idea of too much political influence as such.

They have also been critisized for not paying the same attention to other cases of murder/rape/DV where less prominent or rich people were trying to seek justice. I read about some cases where in my view it was outragious they didn't support or push in any way in favour of the victims.

But maybe that's just me . . .

Indeed, Woolworths in South Africa is VERY posh and expensive!

Hi and thanks to all the posters making me learn that Wollworths in other parts of the world is something VERY different from what it is and seen as in Germany :-)

See ya later hopefully

Hi and thanks to all the posters making me learn that Wollworths in other parts of the world is something VERY different from what it is and seen as in Germany :-)

See ya later hopefully

I guess the wool is worth more is South Africa.

Hello, Zwiebel, meine Liebe!

Your vacation and relaxing will come to an end, I fear. Are you prepared to work again on this special case?

Yes! But if my strom (electricity) keeps giving me problems, I may have to move house to do it! :)

What IS it with Carl and his tweets .. I've just seen this retweet https://twitter.com/carlpistorius/status/526693094843224064

RT “@TedOfficialPage: They keep saying the right person will come along, I think mine got hit by a truck.” .. does it not cross his mind what he did (i.e. hit a woman while driving and killed her) when he tweets stuff like this? .. and then all those other tweets that are just soooo insenstive .. I think they, the Pistorius family, are wired up wrong.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-conviction-sentence-south-africa-prosecutors

Weekend reports in South Africa suggested that the chief prosecutor, Gerrie Nel, is gearing up for round two. The Sunday Times said he would meet NPA head Mxolisi Nxasana on Monday. “Nel has already consulted outside legal experts,” the paper noted, adding that an appeal process would be scheduled to start on 3 November.

An appeal by the state against a verdict can only be made on a matter of law and does not involve a retrial or the submission of any new evidence. It is assumed the case will be heard by the supreme court of appeal in Bloemfontein in Free State province.

More at link

See ya later hopefully

I was just going to say that; Woolworths is definitely not posh in Germany! It's exactly like it used to be in England. A little of everything.

Attorney, Martin Hood, said: "Our criminal procedure act does prevent an appeal against factual findings, but we must remember that our criminal procedure act was passed long before our current constitution, and I believe there may well be constitutional grounds to appeal factual findings against the judge as well".

http://news.sky.com/story/1361213/prosecutors-to-appeal-oscar-pistorius-verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members