Post Verdict - Ross Harris Trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She then notes that the defendant has been found guilty of all charges against him. "It now becomes my duty to determine which punishment to impose."

"Except for the fact that the defendant has no prior criminal conviction, there is no mitigating fact or circumstance in this case...."

"This court finds particularly that the defendant, Justin Ross Harris, intentionally and unnecessarily and in a wanton manner inflicted on the victim, Cooper Harris, unnecessary and wanton" agony."

She notes that the jury was unanimous in its verdict.

Harris, she says, "callously walked away from that child in that hot car in June. In Georgia."

She then says she will follow the recommendation of the state, which is life in prison without possibility of parole, plus 32 years, to run consecutively.

Staley Clark then calls for Harris and the defense and the prosecution to approach the bench for sentencing.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/minut...oss-harris-sentencing/EU4ubO8MG4gNAHtlsUM1kM/

Love that word, "consecutively." Its importance cannot be underestimated. If the State of Ga., or the federal gov't ever were to rule that LWOP cannot be imposed on anyone -- a sentence would have to be something like 40 years to life," etc, (it won't happen, but...), the the consecutive part will be meaningful. JMO.

But didn't she add "In a different way"? I think she meant 'Let this be a warning to anyone else who thinks they can do this and get away with it'
That's exactly what the judge was saying.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Judge just essentially acknowledged it was an accident as well. That's what her comments sounded like to me anyway.
That jumped out to me as well. How does the state of GA state via the judge it was an accident but sentence on malice. Makes zero sense to me

Does anybody but me find it odd that there was nobody there to give a victim impact statement on behalf of the deceased victim? where is the mother? where is some relative to speak for the deceased: very unusual and sickening actually.

Family and friends have spoken. They believe it was an accident. Try to put yourself in that position - if they honestly believe it was an accident then they can grieve for Cooper and still find Ross's conviction to be another part of their tragedy.

What?! I missed watching this live with all of you. Grr....

Thank you all for posting, so I could catch up with today's events.

I'm happy with the verdict, I'm happy the judge made the cutting remark about being an "advocate," I'm happy we were witness to justice for Cooper every step of this case.

No, that's not true at all. I am not happy. This case devastated lives, and I can't be happy about that.

This was the case that prompted me to join WS and now it's over. I know appeals will happen, but for me, this is over.

RIP, little Cooper. You are not forgotten, not at all.

I cant believe I forgot about the sentencing today! So glad he will pay for killing his son every day for the rest of his life.

The burden (as he thought of it) of raising Cooper was removed from him in exchange for the burden of sitting in a prison cell for the rest of his life. At some point one hopes he will realize the enormity of his crime and the choice he made.

you can rewatch the sentencing here:

[video=youtube;uvIuJDz0zL8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvIuJDz0zL8[/video]

The judge entering the courtroom begins at about 24:00. The first 24 minutes is of the camera panning the courtroom.

Thank you to the court and jury for the verdict and sentencing you have determined. I believe the correct punishment was provided. I hope Ross Harris takes time to reflect on the pain and suffering his son Cooper endured during his life behind bars and the mess he has made of his own life.

There are no winners here a precious young boy is dead and a man, who was meant to be a father to his child, ended his child's life and ruined and threw away his own due to his selfishness.

May Cooper Harris Rest In Peace gone but not forgotten.

Please post any updates about his inevitable appeal which I believe will result in the same conclusion and verdict. Thank you to all of you for caring about Cooper and his case.

Rest in gentle peace, baby boy. May love and light always surround you !

I am disgusted with Cooper's "parents" and the other family members who couldn't be bothered to show up in court for him.
But if they don't care-- fine. I'm DONE thinking about them at all.

How long is life over there? Is it actually life?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

JRH looked like he was about to faint when he was sentenced. He was swaying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess we all hear what we want to hear LOL. Didn't even occur to me at all in anything the judge said or prosecution said that anyone thought it was an accident.

you can rewatch the sentencing here:

[video=youtube;uvIuJDz0zL8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvIuJDz0zL8[/video]

The judge entering the courtroom begins at about 24:00. The first 24 minutes is of the camera panning the courtroom.

At around 28:41 when the judge is asking Boring about the sentencing parameters for each count I believe he said counts 2 and 3 (the felony murder counts, right?) were vacated. Boring says count 2 as a matter of law is vacated by law so there would be no sentence for count 2. He says the same for count 3.

So Ross was sentenced only for malice murder. Am I understanding this correctly?

ETA: That's what it looks like:

Count 2. Felony murder, count one. In felony murder, the defendant causes the death of another during the commission of a felony. In count one against Harris, the “underlying” felony was cruelty to children in the first degree.

Sentence: Vacated by law (due to conviction on Count 1)

Count 3. Felony murder, count two. In count two, the underlying felony was cruelty to children in the second degree.

Sentence: Vacated by law (due to conviction on Count 1)

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/justi...prison-without-parole/IHpP38nLFwyVHBphbJkJEK/

I just got to watch the sentencing, so glad Judge Staley gave RH the max!

I think the reason the defense didn't have anything to say is they are confident they will win an appeal. jmo.

Little Cooper had no one to stand up and defend him I guess his whole life. That whole family didn't deserve Cooper, may he find joy in heaven! jmo

At around 28:41 when the judge is asking Boring about the sentencing parameters for each count I believe he said counts 2 and 3 (the felony murder counts, right?) were vacated. Boring says count 2 as a matter of law is vacated by law so there would be no sentence for count 2. He says the same for count 3.

So Ross was sentenced only for malice murder. Am I understanding this correctly?

ETA: That's what it looks like:

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/justi...prison-without-parole/IHpP38nLFwyVHBphbJkJEK/

Ross was sentenced for malice murder as well as first degree child cruelty, the underlying felony. Additionally there was sentencing for the underage minor charges. In total, Ross received life without parole plus 32 years (to be served consecutively).

Judge says since RH wanted to be an advocate ...mission accomplished.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm THRILLED with the sentence imposed upon RH today. Well done, State of Georgia. Cooper deserved so much better than what he got for parents. When he was declared guilty at the end of his trial, I told my friend that RH definitely is an advocate against hot car deaths, he just didn't anticipate being THIS sort. Let this serve as an example to anyone who thinks this is a great way to get rid of a kid.

the time to crack was when he was arrested and admit the jig is up or at the very latest over the past three weeks so as to avoid LWOP. Of course maybe he did ask Boring for a plea bargain and got turned down?

I guess we all hear what we want to hear LOL. Didn't even occur to me at all in anything the judge said or prosecution said that anyone thought it was an accident.

My parents called it "selective hearing". My brother was more afflicted than I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298