Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the pic, you can see one of the bathroom windows pretty clearly, that's some pretty bright light streaming through, I'd think only if it faces west could it be coming in at 5:30 in the evening.

That light has to be from a window and not a light because of the way it streaks across the floor. That streak doesn't even look like it's from an overhead light, especially if the light was fluorescent or not rectangular. In a bathroom, especially in a newish house, lit by an overhead light, I think you'd see more diffuse brightness.

Travis is still alive in that photo? He's not totally dead-weight yet?

I wonder if there's any evidence that Jodi worked out a lot in the months preceding the murder? The lie about the sensei and that she'd quit MA was to cover up the fact that she'd been practicing up?

Wow..... So clear on that one. She's the perp even from just the foot size. With the grid of the tiles, they could absolutely get this correct, 'cos they'd know the dimensions of the tile. They might even be able to get the width.

Since there were clearly other pieces to the case, I'm betting the "JA screwed up one thing that enabled her conviction" is a deliberate snub at JA. She thinks she's so clever, and she had this piece elaborately planned. Messed up again, Jodith. There were many pieces that went into the case, including the fact that there was no one else with motive.

Also, the gas can thing required great detective work and the cooperation, doggedness, and skill of people from all walks of life. This is something to be very proud of. SLAM again, Jodith: everyone is on the other side. This theme is ideal for a book about justice and doesn't compromise JM's professionalism: it's a very deliberate selection.

I have stopped believing that JM does things by mistake.....

JM said on NG that he calculated the drive/distances. He was aware of Brewer lending her two gas cans. He figured she'd need a third. He went through all of Jodi's receipts and found one from Walmart. He called the Walmart and asked for details on her purchase. Walmart told JM the "kero" item was a five gallon gas can

You too. Saw the pic. Can't gauge just with that. The light looks like either early AM or mid afternoon to me, but dunno.

I quite agree...I think the light streak would be in a different spot if it was later in the day. Dang, we need someone who is good at trigonometry so we can triangulate the angle of the sun and compensate for the height of the soffit and where the roof juts out. There's not a big jut, right? That light streak is not from a sun that is very low in the sky.

IMO, an overhead or vanity light of whatever kind wouldn't magically put a strong light streak in front of a window like that. And there's no shadow from TA's body? Or the vanity? No on the light.

Does anyone have a window of those dimensions? A bathroom with a light source such that a photo would be relevant? So some experimentation can be done with light angles etc.?

The angles of the sun on June 4 2008 are probably on record somewhere.....

JM said on NG that he calculated the drive/distances. He was aware of Brewer lending her two gas cans. He figured she'd need a third. He went through all of Jodi's receipts and found one from Walmart. He called the Walmart and asked for details on her purchase. Walmart told JM the "kero" item was a five gallon gas can

I would have thought that would be the job of an investigator ...not a prosecuting attorney

In Chapter One JM visits the crime scene. TA home is orderly, "immaculate" except for the carpet cleaner in the middle of the living room. Upstairs is also orderly but for a camera case beside a bean bag chair in the loft/theater room. The camera was missing. In the bedroom 1,000 places to see before you die was on the nightstand beside the bed. Flores took JM through the closet to see the bathroom. Blood everywhere, a shell casing resting on top of some pooled blood. The body was in the shower and a 16oz plastic cup rested between TA right arm and the wall of the shower stall.

JA put the 1,000 places book on the nightstand as a final coup de grace?

Fair assessment.

At least Juan got his book plug in. Probably the main purpose for Juan was getting a mention of his new book coming out. So it served him well that way.

For someone that had not followed the case I think Dr. Phil did a good job of summarizing the whole case story which is hard to do in that small time window. So from that angle I thought it was well done.

Except for JVM who hogged too much of his show. And I didn't agree with her views on some things which she thinks everyone will just willingly agree with her version LOL

DP may have been auditioning JVM for contract work for his show?

I would have thought that would be the job of an investigator ...not a prosecuting attorney

Agree. It does kind of make you question how well investigators dug into things.

Why would Juan have to be the one to figure this out. Glad he did though.

Chapter Two deals with the initial interviews of TA friends/roommates. TA CTR ring in the kitchen per Enrique. Mimi says Jodi had followed them on dates. Lisa reported she and T fell asleep in loft watching TV one night. They awoke to Nap barking. Noticed a light going off downstairs. T found Jodi standing in his kitchen. She admitted she'd let herself in. She also told T she had gone upstairs and watched them sleep. Lisa reported the email she received and the tire slashing.
JM says Flores called him and let him know Jodi had called several times wanting to speak with investigators. Flores said he was going to call her back but was headed to the station so he could record the call. Flores called JM back around 4pm. He had called Jodi at 2:35. JM had Flores bring a tape of the call by his office. He wanted to hear her voice. The call was 41 min, 14 seconds long

JA put the 1,000 places book on the nightstand as a final coup de grace?

I can imagine her thumbing through it. Trying to get T attention, all the time knowing she had a knife, a gun and a car with plates removed with three full gas cans in the trunk

I can imagine her thumbing through it. Trying to get T attention, all the time knowing she had a knife, a gun and a car with plates removed with three full gas cans in the trunk

The 1000 places to see before you die aspect seems extraordinarily vile.

Thanks for the info. I ordered the hard cover and it will come in today's mail. Unfortunately, we tend to get our delivery between 6-7 PM and even the next day when the roads are messed up, which they are!

As for the gas can research... IMHO Juan got a light-bulb moment and followed through. I'm sure Flores and the other investigators got all the receipts for him and did the WalMart research. I'm betting that when the prosecution handed over the receipts to the defense, they didn't bother telling them the research they had done!

The 1000 places to see before you die aspect seems extraordinarily vile.

I wouldn't put it past JA if she had brought that copy and left it there. Or even if it was his copy she maybe got it out and began saying strange comments to him about places he may never get to see. She is pure evil and revengeful.

During DP show yesterday one of the guests reminded us how during the sentencing JA closing statements she had to rub it in that TA was awake during the throat slashing. That served only one purpose and one purpose only.

To make TA family get upset. It was pure evil.

Just dawned on me! The sheets, etc from his bed were in the dryer according tomDF and another load was in the washer with the camera. My washer takes at least 40 min to do even a small load which means she was cleaning for a long time.

Just dawned on me! The sheets, etc from his bed were in the dryer according tomDF and another load was in the washer with the camera. My washer takes at least 40 min to do even a small load which means she was cleaning for a long time.

Yes, that struck me, too, that she'd done two loads of laundry.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Agree. It does kind of make you question how well investigators dug into things.

Early in his book he makes it clear that he likes to work on his own and that he carefully goes over everything that LE sends to him. For example--and just before my e-reader died--he writes that he simultaneously watched the interrogation tapes while he read the transcript because, he notes, transcripts are rarely 100% accurate. I don't think he means this as a criticism; instead, it's an illustration of his thoroughness. He takes nothing for granted.

The Kobo is juiced up . . . yay!!! Back later.

She had been over to his house often enough to get comfortable with his roomates routine.
Combined with her snooping of his emails she probably felt comfortable when someone would next come home.

I think she also knew her roomates respected TA privacy and would never come up to his part of the house. Which makes me wonder if she had an escape route planned that even if a roommate came home she felt comfortable she could exit the home even with them being home.

Maybe she had slipped in and out of his house many times while his roomates were home and she felt she could do it again if she needed to.

I just had a thought on that one. If one of the investigators had called and gotten information on such, it would have had to have been turned over for evidence as disclosure and discovery?

If it's a prosecutor that just " made a phone call".. Would that have to be turned over for discovery to the defense team as to such discovery ?

If this was "behind the scenes" it perhaps explains why he is so proud of that third gas can, and how it was a * surprise * at the trial when they put that up and she lied about it.

If it had not been given to defense with discovery.. that this phone call was made to Walmart and results ... that sure would be something he kept under wraps for 4 years.

Soooo ..Is the big deal he is talking about that phone call, and knowledge, was never made knowledgeable to the defense team ? Nurmi and Wilmont were therefore blindsided? (like the magazine ?)

:thinking:

It appeared during the trial they were very surprised re gas can!

May I have the link to the book thread please? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I ordered the hard cover and it will come in today's mail. Unfortunately, we tend to get our delivery between 6-7 PM and even the next day when the roads are messed up, which they are!

As for the gas can research... IMHO Juan got a light-bulb moment and followed through. I'm sure Flores and the other investigators got all the receipts for him and did the WalMart research. I'm betting that when the prosecution handed over the receipts to the defense, they didn't bother telling them the research they had done!

And the greatest fear of a defense attorney :moo: the client doesn't tell them everything and they are blindsided during the trial like happened with this ;)

Early in his book he makes it clear that he likes to work on his own and that he carefully goes over everything that LE sends to him. For example--and just before my e-reader died--he writes that he simultaneously watched the interrogation tapes while he read the transcript because, he notes, transcripts are rarely 100% accurate. I don't think he means this as a criticism; instead, it's an illustration of his thoroughness. He takes nothing for granted.

The Kobo is juiced up . . . yay!!! Back later.

Oooohhhh. That is exactly the kind of detail about his trial prep I want to know about. :)

Still waiting for my mailman, but saw that Amazon now has its free peep of the book going, and read the prologue.

I love his completely accurate and eloquent slapdown of her---that he could easily imagine her dreaming big but living the life of a bad waitress at a Purple Plum dive, definitely implying that anything more than that she ever did or had was the result of parasitic attachment. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnicornAmalthea