PTL (Peach Tree Landing)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why are we comparing cleaning up blood to repaving or resealing a road? They are not the same. Also, one of them is done by LE, the other was done by private citizens. One is necessary, and happens in every murder, the other does not.

LE does crime scene clean up? I never knew that.

"Clean up" is not done by police or CSIs. They only secure and process the scenes and investigate the case. In the case of private property the responsibility lies on the property owner(s). In the case of public property the fire dept might help there. Or <gasp OH NO> even community citizens.

I made a mistake saying that LE or CSI cleans up crime scenes. My apologies---can we get back on topic regarding the renovation of PTL? The detour is over, let's get back on the main road.

The property exterior was (eventually) redesigned so that lookiloos wouldn't easily find or recognize it. The house number was even changed! I don't think the tile walkway was replaced or resurfaced right away, unless there were damaged areas that had to be repaired. It really comes down to the condition of the property. The concrete walkways outside were washed down. They were not otherwise damaged though they may have been fixed/replaced as years went by, based on the city's maintenance schedule.

There is no law against bettering a dwelling or easement or land, after a scene has been released by LE, as long as the necessary paperwork has been obtained, depending on the jurisdiction and rules of the property location. In the case of PTL, it does not appear to be a legal issue, just one that some Interweb dwellers are having a tough time accepting, for some reason.

The Bundy walkway - which was actually not a sidewalk as I previously referenced it, but surface in the gated section of her home on which she was killed - was cleaned off. Not re-tiled or otherwise altered when the jury saw it. There was still police tape around it. I would think that made more sense to a juror than a new surface that was entirely different than what they saw in crime scene photos. The sales and renovations and re-numbering came much later.

However, there was clearly a crime, graphic physical evidence, and a body in that case, so the jurors had perspective no one will ever have on the PTL scene.

Personally, I don't see anyone having acceptance issues, rather, I think people are having differences in perspective on activities at PTL.

A personal observation from other cases I have followed: Each LE department has a limited amount of funds and resources for ALL of their cases. If they do not need to use their resources or funds for a case, they won't. Not meaning any offense to LE, Heather is not their daughter, and it is not their priority to find her body. It is their priority to see that justice is done if she was kidnapped/murdered. If they can do so without her body (and it appears they believe they can), there would be no reason to continue using resources to find her. This is not unusual if they have what they consider to be enough proof to convict without a body. The public never knows what is considered "enough" until the trial.

This is exactly why I said I think the decision to not perform future searches without credible tips is resource driven.

I was opining on why (as you put it) "people are having differences in perspective on activities at PTL."

The knowledge of those activities, including specific actions taken by LE in their investigation, has not been widely known, which appears to be one source of consternation. The public being involved, or some community members being involved or taking on a project at PTL appears to be another source of consternation. Fear of the case being botched and possible LE mistakes because the crime scene was released also appears to be an area of concern as well. This is what I read today.

I think the defense will attack or attempt to attack any and all evidence against their clients, as is done is most murder cases. They will try to introduce doubt to the jury.

I don't think the PTL landing re-sealing project will be an issue. I'm not sure there's much evidence there to have them worried. Maybe their concern will be more focused on stronger items of evidence, possibly including: the video evidence, the txt messages, the social media posts, the GPS pings, and whatever DNA was discovered somewhere on or in the M's property. Those are the things I'd be most concerned about.

I think people have differences in perspective because that's the nature of people. This is not a claim that a crime scene should not be cleaned until a trial is over, or an argument that the Moorer's will get off on a chunk of asphalt defense.

And, I think the lack of evidence at PTL is going to be a favorite bullet point for the defense.

Posting a thread to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not appropriate in a public forum. Please utilize the board&#8217;s Private Message function, or email, staff if you wish to discuss these issues.
Rules, Etiquette & Information

:tyou:

Part of the problem, Imo, unless searches are publicized, and I am not sure how that works with the gag order, there will be next to nothing to discuss for the next year or so. Plenty of time for emotions to settle down, which is great for the defense, not so much for the state. Jmo

Part of the problem, Imo, unless searches are publicized, and I am not sure how that works with the gag order, there will be next to nothing to discuss for the next year or so. Plenty of time for emotions to settle down, which is great for the defense, not so much for the state. Jmo

Agree. I am trying to figure out if the gag only applies to LE, DA, both defendants lawyers. (Did I miss anyone else?)

If there are unpublicized searches going on now, and private citizens locate Heather, would they be allowed to inform the media?

Gag orders only affect the people involved in the case itself: the lawyers, the court personnel, the DA.

It does not apply to people outside of and not involved in the case. If a private citizen or private citizens located a body, they could not be the ones to ID that body. They might believe it was Heather, but only the state M.E. can issue a positive ID. And the state M.E. would do so and eventually release that body to the family, who would make funeral plans and yes, there would be disclosure of such an outcome. However, the details about the manner of death might not be released as part of the gag order and the family might be instructed not to say anything (assuming they were told those details).

There would essentially be no way to keep such an outcome secret anyway. If a body is found, it is always noted in the news because people call 911 and the media follows scanner calls and would be on to such a find.

Random thought time. Suppose PTL was resurfaced because LE wanted to take part of the asphalt away for testing? It would leave a dangerous hole in the surface, so it was resurfaced, and kept quiet.

I have no basis for this random thought.

Thanks OkGranny. Now what's PTL's address again? I forgot. I can never find it on google without googling forever and a day. tia

Iirc, there's a Peach Tree Lane & Peach Tree St.? Rd? I forget, honestly.

Thanks OkGranny. Now what's PTL's address again? I forgot. I can never find it on google without googling forever and a day. tia

Iirc, there's a Peach Tree Lane & Peach Tree St.? Rd? I forget, honestly.

It's Peachtree Road. You can zoom in to the landing on the GIS map until you see a very long number, then click on that and a window pops up with all the info.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms
Back