*~* Questions for our locals *~*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
1. It is a frequent topic of conversation with people I interact with. Everyone strongly believes that Terri is involved. For that reason, there seems to be no heightened concern about kids. Kids are out playing at all the city parks as they normally are this time of year.

2. We don't attend Skyline but do attend PPS. No one seems to think PPS is at fault since the assumption is that he left with stepmom.

3. I see that little guy's face all over town...but I think most people fear the worst.

4. Personally...I am angry she has moved away. They need to bring her back and hold her accountable for whatever it is she is not talking about.

Ditto to the above. From day 1 no one worried or thought it was anyone but TH. If you knew the area, it would be quite a stunt to pull off going into this small school and walking out unnoticed with a boy - even if he went willingly with a stranger who tricked him, as in "come help me carry this inside." I do, however, worry about TH's friends pulling a similar stunt with another child to try to throw LE off (which of course it wouldnt'), or a copycat. For that reason, my heart does sink when my children are out of sight for more than a minute more than before, although I've always been a paranoid hovercraft of my kids.

My friends, family and I almost never discuss this case -- or actually have never thought to bring it up in all these weeks. I think it's because we feel it's a domestic violence/child abuse case with a 'missing child' twist - meaning it's no different than any other child abuse case except for the fact that TH planned it out and the poor boy went missing. Personally, I wish they could use stronger techniques to get TH to talk and spare our tax dollars as well as LE's time and efforts. With budget cuts, etc., it's beyond annoying that we've wasted so much time, effort, money and heartache on one child when one person who knows all the answers walks free but won't talk and so many children are in need of our city's resources...that's MHO.

We're probably going to need a local whose been on the grand jury or knows someone who has. Each county has their own so the answer will be county specific.

I was subpoenaed to testify against my brother in front of a grand jury back in 1985. I got my subpoena in the principal's office at my junior high school & I immediately went and called my mom, so lots of people knew right away that there was going to be a grand jury convening in the matter. It wasn't "secretive" at all. It was not published in the newspaper (his arrest & conviction were, though), but anyone who knew my family knew what was going on.

ETA: I spent the past few days at the Ronald McDonald House in Portland (East house, near Legacy Emanuel Children's Hospital ~ it's across the river from Skyline) and met a woman from Roseburg. I asked her if she'd heard about Terri Horman moving there & she said she & her husband are friends with Terri's parents and they (T's parents) are NOT happy about the media circus she has brought to their street. This woman also said she feels very badly for Terri's parents because of the situation their daughter has created... that no one deserves to be placed in such a position by one of their children. I realize this is all hearsay, but thought I'd share it, anyway. Outside of that one conversation, I did not see any pictures of Kyron posted anywhere or hear anyone talking about him anywhere, nor did I talk to anyone who had an opinion one way or another about the case.

O/T

All locals please look at this thread regarding a missing teen!

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110153"]OR OR - MISSING: Levi Richard Parker, 16, Portland - 22 July 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Dear locals,
Has anyone driven by Skyline school today?
Did anyone see any search going on as reported?
What is it like around Skyline school as far as what neighbors think?
Are they afraid of what may be fund in their own area???

Totally off-topic, but Portland/MC needs to use some of that extra money to fund mandatory swimming lessons. I cannot believe the number of drownings since following this case.

Hi locals...trying to get a visual of where this Training Facility is located. Is it near the Sheriff's Dept. Headquarters ??? And what's the weather like out there today...Thank You!

Totally off-topic, but Portland/MC needs to use some of that extra money to fund mandatory swimming lessons. I cannot believe the number of drownings since following this case.

ITA - there have been a large number of drownings in a short period. To live in "River City" and not know how to swim is pretty crazy.

ITA - there have been a large number of drownings in a short period. To live in "River City" and not know how to swim is pretty crazy.

Well unfortunately, it's not like we can really learn to swim in the Willamette (filthy) or the Columbia (huge). We don't live in a climate where home swimming pools are worth the expense for majority of folks. Most community centers don't have a pool, and lessons cost money. I know lots of Portlanders who don't know how to swim.

The problem isn't non swimmers getting in the water; most of the people who drown actually do know how to swim. They just make poor choices about where to swim, underestimate risks, and/or don't take proper safety precautions. Those who don't know how to swim or are poor swimmers (like me), don't go tubing down the Sandy River, etc. in the first place.

Well unfortunately, it's not like we can really learn to swim in the Willamette (filthy) or the Columbia (huge). We don't live in a climate where home swimming pools are worth the expense for majority of folks. Most community centers don't have a pool, and lessons cost money. I know lots of Portlanders who don't know how to swim.

The problem isn't non swimmers getting in the water; most of the people who drown actually do know how to swim. They just make poor choices about where to swim, underestimate risks, and/or don't take proper safety precautions. Those who don't know how to swim or are poor swimmers (like me), don't go tubing down the Sandy River, etc. in the first place.

All true! And a lot of people underestimate how COLD the water is, even in summer, and the effect that COLD water will have on the ability to swim, or even tread water.

Hi locals!

Can you give us a sense of what the public opinion was of LE before this case? Did they have a good reputation, or bad? Was there any great work they did, or anything that they seriously bungled?

Sorry if this was already asked. I don't have time to read through 430 posts.

Thanks!

ITA. The rivers can be treacherous, especially this year are running faster than usual. The s OR town I live in built a city pool back in the 60's, just because all the kids would go to the river and there were many drownings. Guess what, the kids (especially teens) still go to the river. Most of the kids who drown are swimmers, they just underestimate the power of the currents. And most of the adults are alcohol related or refuse to wear a life jacket in a boat in a raging river. Just poor judgment.

Hi locals!

Can you give us a sense of what the public opinion was of LE before this case? Did they have a good reputation, or bad? Was there any great work they did, or anything that they seriously bungled?

Sorry if this was already asked. I don't have time to read through 430 posts.

Thanks!

Portland Police Bureau gets a lot of flack from the press because they have had some issues (not just recently) and officer related shootings over the years. But this case is being handled by MCSO, which isn't as caught up in scandals or questions about police brutality and ineptitude. But a few years ago, the Sheriff resigned because he wasn't up to snuff on his credentials. He was kind of an *advertiser censored*, too. There was a good race for sheriff this year; the guy I wanted didn't win (Staton did), but I have no problem with Staton.

And I think part of why budget keeps coming up is because the previous sheriff (whose name I can't remember - Guido? Gitano?) wasn't managing the money very well.

I think this case is good for MCSO's public image. So long as it doesn't come to light that they have bungled/lost evidence, I think people will have a better impression of them than they did before Kyron went missing. Even if they don't indict anyone for a long time.

Hi locals!

Thanks!

KH and family live out in the boonies so I can't speak to what public opinion might be in that area but generally speaking LE in the Portland area has never had the greatest of relationships with the city due to bungled arrests that turn into shootings, the counter culture/anti-establishment vibe that exists here (and I am thankful for this, as most here are), and the usual laundry list of reasons why LE aren't trusted in bigger cities.

Given that the city and state have been struggling financially it's not exactly "no biggie" to have to ask for more and more money to investigate cases, even unprecedented ones like these.

Portland Police Bureau gets a lot of flack from the press because they have had some issues (not just recently) and officer related shootings over the years. But this case is being handled by MCSO, which isn't as caught up in scandals or questions about police brutality and ineptitude. But a few years ago, the Sheriff resigned because he wasn't up to snuff on his credentials. He was kind of an *advertiser censored*, too. There was a good race for sheriff this year; the guy I wanted didn't win (Staton did), but I have no problem with Staton.

And I think part of why budget keeps coming up is because the previous sheriff (whose name I can't remember - Guido? Gitano?) wasn't managing the money very well.

I think this case is good for MCSO's public image. So long as it doesn't come to light that they have bungled/lost evidence, I think people will have a better impression of them than they did before Kyron went missing. Even if they don't indict anyone for a long time.

I'd be curious why Staton do this Presser ? Do you ladies and gentlemen in Portland think there is something behind the scenes going on there???

KH and family live out in the boonies so I can't speak to what public opinion might be in that area but generally speaking LE in the Portland area has never had the greatest of relationships with the city due to bungled arrests that turn into shootings, the counter culture/anti-establishment vibe that exists here (and I am thankful for this, as most here are), and the usual laundry list of reasons why LE aren't trusted in bigger cities.

Given that the city and state have been struggling financially it's not exactly "no biggie" to have to ask for more and more money to investigate cases, even unprecedented ones like these.

This is a misconception that continues to be perpetuated here. The area they live in is not "out in the boonies". Heck, they are closer to downtown Portland than I am, and I am nowhere near to living "out in the boonies".

LE in general has not been terribly popular in the area over the last several years. PPD even less so. However, this is being handled by the Multnomah County Sheriff. Just off the top of my head, I can't remember hearing a lot about the current Sheriff, one way or the other. The DA seems to enjoy a good reputation, for whatever that is worth. And I sincerely hope that the FBI is still bringing its expertise to bear on this case.

Note, I'm a longtime Wikipedia editor and heavily involved in maintaining the content about Oregon.

This Wikipedia article about MCSO is pretty good as far as LE articles go--it talks about the scandal with the previous sheriff (Guisto):

Multnomah County Sheriff's Office

Most of this, except the scandal part, was written by an enthuiastic young cadet and SAR volunteer so there was quite a bit of what I call "rah rah", and possibly overkill on the division descriptions, but we've tried to make it more balanced. And please if you see anything that needs fixing, PM me!

I was searching the internet for new info on kyron,,, and while searching i found that portland oregon has underground tunnels,,, my questions would be are there any near the school or within that 10 mile radius from school?

I don't live in Portland..however I have a neice with 5 little children under the age of 11 that do live there. Do you lovely wonderful ladies and gentlemen feel comforatable sending your children back to school not knowing anymore than what you do now. LE says it is a isolated incident...do you think the majority feels that way...????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back