*~* Questions for our locals *~*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was searching the internet for new info on kyron,,, and while searching i found that portland oregon has underground tunnels,,, my questions would be are there any near the school or within that 10 mile radius from school?

The tunnels, which mostly exist in the Old Town part of downtown Portland have been mythologized out of proportion. They are mostly the basements of old buildings that were connected. Also possible tunnels between hotels and brothels, speakeasies--this was all in the early 1900s. So no, no tunnels of this sort in suburban Portland AFAIK.

ETA: This article sucks, but it's a start. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_tunnels"]Shanghai Tunnels[/ame]

This is a misconception that continues to be perpetuated here. The area they live in is not "out in the boonies". Heck, they are closer to downtown Portland than I am, and I am nowhere near to living "out in the boonies".

I am from the eastside so I guess the Skyline area seems like the boonies to me? My point was that culturally that area is very different from most areas in the city, so the perception of LE would be different there.

I am from the eastside so I guess the Skyline area seems like the boonies to me? My point was that culturally that area is very different from most areas in the city, so the perception of LE would be different there.

I'm very familiar with the Skyline area and have never heard anyone describe it as "culturally that area is very different from most area in the city". I know my friends in the area would be quite surprised and perplexed by that statement.

I'm very familiar with the Skyline area and have never heard anyone describe it as "culturally that area is very different from most area in the city". I know my friends in the area would be quite surprised and perplexed by that statement.

Yeah, I'm not sure what that is about. Portland is a relatively homogeneous place, culturally. Skyline may be woodsy, but the people themselves are just like everyone else. They have jobs, and education. We allow them to intermingle with us *real* Portlanders. Banjos don't start playing just because the shrubbery is a little thicker! LOL. Really.

I don't live in Portland..however I have a neice with 5 little children under the age of 11 that do live there. Do you lovely wonderful ladies and gentlemen feel comforatable sending your children back to school not knowing anymore than what you do now. LE says it is a isolated incident...do you think the majority feels that way...????

I have no problem whatsoever sending my daughter back to school in the fall.

I was searching the internet for new info on kyron,,, and while searching i found that portland oregon has underground tunnels,,, my questions would be are there any near the school or within that 10 mile radius from school?

There are tunnels, but they are in the very old part of town near the Willamette River. They are not accessible to the general public as almost all of the openings are in old building basements. You would have to work in that building or be on one of the tours. A person can't just open a door and hide someone in a tunnel. They are a tourist thing, mostly. And as I said, they are downtown in a very crowded, populated area. Nowhere near that school or any other school.

I was simply pointing to the fact that where less crime exists fewer people are likely to be distrustful of LE because they don't deal with them in a context where that level of distrust can be built (i.e. outside of traffic tickets and other minor incidents). I get the sense that there isn't as much violent crime in the Skyline area as opposed to east Portland. And Portland varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. Just sayin'.

The most significant thing that can be gleamed from K last being seen in Skyline is that there's a likely chance TH could get away with doing something criminal without it being noticed by too many people. And that is a pretty scary thought.

The tunnels, which mostly exist in the Old Town part of downtown Portland have been mythologized out of proportion. They are mostly the basements of old buildings that were connected. Also possible tunnels between hotels and brothels, speakeasies--this was all in the early 1900s. So no, no tunnels of this sort in suburban Portland AFAIK.

ETA: This article sucks, but it's a start. Shanghai Tunnels

Hi Haeve, It is very nice to know what you do and thanks from this Oregonian.

I bartended for about a year at 3rd and Couch. I was down in the basement and saw the room where they tied up those they lured or drugged to put on the ships when they hit port. My owner told me he had walked all through that tunnel that comes out right at waterfront park where the stone wall is. I never did that, no way LOL, and couldn't find the door where it opens up there either. But lots of people talked about it.

There is a big old bar on 2nd that was THE spot in THE day way back when the tunnels were active. I've heard their tunnels were very well built and still are there to this day. Bet you know what that bar was. LOLOLOL xox

I think this case is good for MCSO's public image. So long as it doesn't come to light that they have bungled/lost evidence, I think people will have a better impression of them than they did before Kyron went missing. Even if they don't indict anyone for a long time.

Thanks. My hope is that they are doing a great job and being meticulous and we will all be pleasantly surprised at how much information they have when this thing finally goes to trial.

I don't live in Portland..however I have a neice with 5 little children under the age of 11 that do live there. Do you lovely wonderful ladies and gentlemen feel comforatable sending your children back to school not knowing anymore than what you do now. LE says it is a isolated incident...do you think the majority feels that way...????

No problem sending my kids at all! Most everyone here (in my circle of friends) think it's isolated and TH is involved.

I was simply pointing to the fact that where less crime exists fewer people are likely to be distrustful of LE because they don't deal with them in a context where that level of distrust can be built (i.e. outside of traffic tickets and other minor incidents). I get the sense that there isn't as much violent crime in the Skyline area as opposed to east Portland. And Portland varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. Just sayin'.

The most significant thing that can be gleamed from K last being seen in Skyline is that there's a likely chance TH could get away with doing something criminal without it being noticed by too many people. And that is a pretty scary thought.

Not the boonies but I get what you're saying. The main crime in NW Portland is domestic violence. We've had quite a few over the last year. Boyfriends killing their girlfriends, husband's killing their wife and then themselves. A Dad killing their children....that one was particularily disturbing. Just a few years ago we had a triple homicide but again, domestic and not random. But not the kind of city crime you get downtown despite being only 10 minutes away.

Hi Haeve, It is very nice to know what you do and thanks from this Oregonian.

I bartended for about a year at 3rd and Couch. I was down in the basement and saw the room where they tied up those they lured or drugged to put on the ships when they hit port. My owner told me he had walked all through that tunnel that comes out right at waterfront park where the stone wall is. I never did that, no way LOL, and couldn't find the door where it opens up there either. But lots of people talked about it.

There is a big old bar on 2nd that was THE spot in THE day way back when the tunnels were active. I've heard their tunnels were very well built and still are there to this day. Bet you know what that bar was. LOLOLOL xox

You're welcome!

Ooh. I don't think I'd be checking out the bar's basement tunnel either. Not that I think anything bad would happen, but I'd scare myself to death.

Actually, I never much ventured past Starry Night/Roseland. Now when I get to PDX, I'm more of a McMenamin's girl. But are you talking about this one? http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonexperiencearchive/beervana/ericksons.php Very interesting stuff! I think for a while it was an advertising museum. Now it doesn't look like my cup of tea at all. :)

Back on topic--I'm originally from a much smaller city, and I rarely feel unsafe in Portland, it's not like it's any worse than any other city in the U.S. Back in the day, it was much more, um, colorful, but I don't think this has any bearing whatsoever on Kyron's disappearance.

Kyron dear boy, where are you?

Hi locals...what do you think the consensus is there that Mr.Houze is representing Teri?

Is there anyway possible for someone to get to any basement sewers? lower part of furnace? 'Someone used to work at that school' could have accidentally found loose boards loose bricks, etc in the basement of the school. Have cadaver dogs been in the school? No one saw Karon get in the truck with this stepmother. Maybe he didn't.
Do we know if the science project was in boxes, wrapped up?? She needed the truck, so it was fairly large. Maybe she left the project on purpose and actually put Kyron in the box or the wrapping. Can you get from the school basement to the outside? ........killed Kyron/or unconscious. put him in the box, carry box to truck, truck to her girlfriend to transfer to??
It was difficult to prove Caylee was in the trunk until they found the one hair. With that knowledge....transfer the body again to either car/truck, stepmom takes body and buries it later on or the girlfriend buried the body. It bugs me that the science project was left at school. Did the other kids take their projects home the same day? if so, Kyron prob thought he was going to the dr appt. (that bs story would have kept Kyron from acting out of character.

No problem sending my kids at all! Most everyone here (in my circle of friends) think it's isolated and TH is involved.

I volunteer during the school year at a Portland grade school in a reading program in which adults read one-on-one with children in grades K-3 who either need help with reading or who teachers think would benefit from additional adult attention. Parents need to approve a child’s participation in the program and a background check is run on all volunteers. It will be interesting to see what changes are made to security in the Fall. The suburban grade school I volunteer at is about the size of Skyline, but newer, and situated on a much smaller piece of property. There is one entrance. Numerous door open onto the playground, but are locked from the outside, and the playground is surrounded by a high fence. The school office is adjacent to the entrance and is glassed in – but no one in the office has an eye fixed on the entrance at all times. Visitors are required to sign in using a PC in the school office and to wear a name tag. I admit that on one occasion last year when I was running late I walked past the office and down the hall without signing in. I understand parental concern about security, but the Portland school district is so short on funding and has already made so many cuts that, at this point, it is a zero sum game. Some big city schools elsewhere in the country have guards and metal detectors at their entrances. I hope we have not come to that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back