*~* Questions for our locals *~*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi All,

I live in the part of town that's near the gym and the church where the vigil took place. I agree it's quiet as far as news, but as someone else said, we don't want this case to be ruined. We don't want an OJ case, or Ramsey Bonet, etc. I also wont' be posting any hearsay or speculation for just that reason (not that there is much).

The other thing is all our kids just got out of school on the 17th, so we're all adjusting to that and very busy, not that everyone isn't upset about this case. But they specifically do not want our help searching, either physically on foot or looking for anybody in particular (aside from TM if we were around that Friday the 4th and saw her or the white truck). We're all horrified at the situation, but again as I've said before, the tone here is that there *isn't* a mad man around and our children aren't in danger, so what can we do but wait?

I too live in the same general area! Yes, we have been told that this is an isolated incident, so LE MUST know a stranger is NOT on the loose! Frustrating because on one hand we are told not to help to look (which I know, we don't want to contaminate evidence), however, then we are told to help by keeping an eye out and look for Kyron and, according to his family, our "memories" which is another strange term. Then the questionaire was totally geared towards the Skyline Elementary School parents, but what was strange was that NOT ONCE was those same questions asked of the general public! I would think LE would be asking ANYONE those questions, but they definitely were asking Skyline parents. Of course, as webssleuthing here, even if I wasn't a Skyline parent and saw the questionaire and knew some info, I would let LE know; HOWEVER, there are still some people in my community who are CLUELESS and do not even know about this story! And I just live maybe 3 to 4 miles from Skyline! So, they may have some info, but happen not to be Skyline parents.

Also a local here but new to these boards. I can tell you that the investigators are doing a heck of a job keeping things quiet. I know friends who actually have a relative on the case and they aren't saying much of anything.

Same here! I thought I might glean at least a hint of where they're going with this, but poker faces all around.

I used to live near the church/gym area too, but I've moved just a few miles away now. I agree, there is definitely no sense of public danger like there was during the Ashley and Miranda case.

I too live in the same general area! Yes, we have been told that this is an isolated incident, so LE MUST know a stranger is NOT on the loose! Frustrating because on one hand we are told not to help to look (which I know, we don't want to contaminate evidence), however, then we are told to help by keeping an eye out and look for Kyron and, according to his family, our "memories" which is another strange term. Then the questionaire was totally geared towards the Skyline Elementary School parents, but what was strange was that NOT ONCE was those same questions asked of the general public! I would think LE would be asking ANYONE those questions, but they definitely were asking Skyline parents. Of course, as webssleuthing here, even if I wasn't a Skyline parent and saw the questionaire and knew some info, I would let LE know; HOWEVER, there are still some people in my community who are CLUELESS and do not even know about this story! And I just live maybe 3 to 4 miles from Skyline! So, they may have some info, but happen not to be Skyline parents.

I assume that since he apparently disappeared from the school, that's why they are specifically asking the parents and anyone who was at the school that day. Logic would dictate that someone there might know something that would help them find out who took him. If that tactic doesn't pan out, they will probably expand to asking everyone in that area if they've seen him.
LE likes to start in a small circle and work their way outward. Sometimes kids are found very close to the spot they vanished from. Other times not... but they start within the location they go missing and then search further out.
Hope that explains it.

At this point in time in many cases, public searches are started, why is LE telling you guys not to search? especially if they are not searching around the school area and only searching SI. Surely some volunteer searches could be set up to search those areas, since LE is satisfied and doesnt appear to be going back. Look at Caylee Anthony she was right down the street from the home LITERALLY, several people came close to searching there but never did.
If it was me I would have to start a search, regardless of wether LE said not too, because they have already cleared the area what would it hurt?

Also a local here but new to these boards. I can tell you that the investigators are doing a heck of a job keeping things quiet. I know friends who actually have a relative on the case and they aren't saying much of anything.

But they specifically do not want our help searching, either physically on foot or looking for anybody in particular (aside from TM if we were around that Friday the 4th and saw her or the white truck). We're all horrified at the situation, but again as I've said before, the tone here is that there *isn't* a mad man around and our children aren't in danger, so what can we do but wait?

Ok, this seals the deal for me. I've been objective thus far. I have remained on the fence because of the comments made by Kyron's classmate. I couldn't understand why LE wouldn't simply confirm or deny the boy's remarks publicly. One of them involved the group chaperone; it would be a simple matter to check with her. I refused to assume that LE's repeated statement that the SM was the last person to see Kyron was literal and inferred that the classmate's report(s) had been eliminated. BUT what you have said in your posts above and the fact that LE did not want us to hear the classmates claim, accurate or not, and which IMO lends itself to the possibility of an abduction, reveals to me that LE already knows who and are working on the how and where. I feel quite ill and don't think I'll be able to look at certain PC videos again.

As a mom with young kids in Portland, I can tell you that everyone I know feels shocked and saddened by this experience. Portland is a VERY family friendly city, compared to all other cities I have lived in. Restaurants, theaters, events, etc cater to kids.

For its population size, it has a very low level of violent crimes -a phenomena that has been studied by academics interested in finding out what is unique about this community. Drug use is relatively high, but has improved since a major meth crackdown some years ago. This is still a city where kids in most neighborhoods play outdoors and people say hello to "strangers". Strangely, no one I talk to (and this is anecdotal evidence, of course) is alarmed about the risk of some maniac taking their kid. LE's assurance that this was an isolated case has assured many people, probably b/c it is in keeping with what they already assumed about this city, that it is a mostly safe place. No one seems that outraged at PPS either...the absence of cameras is not surprising. I suspect that if PPS moves to put cameras in all of the schools next year, there will be a healthy debate about whether it is really necessary or simply reactionary. Similarly, the possibility that a parent could leave school with their kid (if indeed this is what happened) without formally signing the child out on a busy day doesn't surprise me as a public school parent.

Sauvie Island is very large and criss-crossed with waterways and channels.

The other thing to understand is that Portland is unique for having an urban growth boundary. It is urban and densely populated in most parts of the city, but once you cross the borders, it opens up into dense woods or farmland quickly. Skyline is an atypical neighborhood on the border, with mostly suburban sized homes bordering forest and farms. Nearby is Forest Park, the largest urban park in the country, larger than Central Park and heavily wooded with wildlife (including the occassional black bear...not that I think a bear took him ;)) Without a firm lead, finding this child would literally be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

It breaks my heart to see his picture everywhere.

As a mom with young kids in Portland, I can tell you that everyone I know feels shocked and saddened by this experience. Portland is a VERY family friendly city, compared to all other cities I have lived in. Restaurants, theaters, events, etc cater to kids.

For its population size, it has a very low level of violent crimes -a phenomena that has been studied by academics interested in finding out what is unique about this community. Drug use is relatively high, but has improved since a major meth crackdown some years ago. This is still a city where kids in most neighborhoods play outdoors and people say hello to "strangers". Strangely, no one I talk to (and this is anecdotal evidence, of course) is alarmed about the risk of some maniac taking their kid. LE's assurance that this was an isolated case has assured many people, probably b/c it is in keeping with what they already assumed about this city, that it is a mostly safe place. No one seems that outraged at PPS either...the absence of cameras is not surprising. I suspect that if PPS moves to put cameras in all of the schools next year, there will be a healthy debate about whether it is really necessary or simply reactionary. Similarly, the possibility that a parent could leave school with their kid (if indeed this is what happened) without formally signing the child out on a busy day doesn't surprise me as a public school parent.

Sauvie Island is very large and criss-crossed with waterways and channels.

The other thing to understand is that Portland is unique for having an urban growth boundary. It is urban and densely populated in most parts of the city, but once you cross the borders, it opens up into dense woods or farmland quickly. Skyline is an atypical neighborhood on the border, with mostly suburban sized homes bordering forest and farms. Nearby is Forest Park, the largest urban park in the country, larger than Central Park and heavily wooded with wildlife (including the occassional black bear...not that I think a bear took him ;)) Without a firm lead, finding this child would literally be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

It breaks my heart to see his picture everywhere.

Thank you for that paragraph about the urban growth boundary.

I've see so many references to Skyline being 'rural' or 'remote'...as though it's way out in the sticks and desolate. People who aren't from around here don't understand the area...as you described...neighborhoods and forest and farmland all pretty much intertwined together. If you want to hide something, there are plenty of places close by in which it would be very easy to do that.

Personally, I am a little mystified that Forest Park wasn't searched. Anyone who took Kyron could have gotten there in a matter of minutes. It makes me wonder any more if LE has some very specific leads they are checking out, that they don't feel the need to look in places such as this.

Personally, I am a little mystified that Forest Park wasn't searched. Anyone who took Kyron could have gotten there in a matter of minutes. It makes me wonder any more if LE has some very specific leads they are checking out, that they don't feel the need to look in places such as this.

I wondered that early on ... and then when they seemingly skipped right over it to go to Sauvie Island, I really wondered! But the thing I'm not sure about, despite having hiked in Forest Park many times, is what the access is like from Skyline area? I have only driven to FP from the Hwy 30 side and I've hiked in from the south side (starting with Macleay Trail). But is Germantown Road the only way in from the west side?

Also, I would think anything off of Germantown Road would be fair game for searching. The only problem with that is there isn't really anywhere to pull off to (just the shoulder) and maybe that would have been noticed by someone? I really expected to hear Forest Park was being searched, but maybe they didn't search it because it was just too daunting? Or too unlikely?

Thank you for your description of the area. I am wondering is there anything near the school such as a grocery store, variety store, library?
I haven't been in that area for several months, but there was mom-n-pop grocery on Corneilius Pass & Skyline - maybe a half mile from the school. It use to be Plainview Autoparts.

I wondered that early on ... and then when they seemingly skipped right over it to go to Sauvie Island, I really wondered! But the thing I'm not sure about, despite having hiked in Forest Park many times, is what the access is like from Skyline area? I have only driven to FP from the Hwy 30 side and I've hiked in from the south side (starting with Macleay Trail). But is Germantown Road the only way in from the west side?

Also, I would think anything off of Germantown Road would be fair game for searching. The only problem with that is there isn't really anywhere to pull off to (just the shoulder) and maybe that would have been noticed by someone? I really expected to hear Forest Park was being searched, but maybe they didn't search it because it was just too daunting? Or too unlikely?

I believe there are a number of ways into the park, but I am not 100% sure of all the ways to access by car.

It's just that there are any number of areas nearby that something could be hidden and not be found for a long time, if ever, unless it was accidentally stumbled upon. Even places like Hoyt Arboretum. I remember when my DH and I were dating, he drove us around there one night on the spur of the moment, and let me tell you, in the dark, it was rather creepy.

It just seems like whoever took Kyron, wouldn't have to go for a hiding place.

I just hope LE has some solid leads. And are persistent! The Miranda Gaddis/Ashley Pond case is being discussed on another thread. They were on Ward Weaver's property the whole time. Indeed, during one television interview, the reporter walked right across the slab underneath which one of them was buried. Sometimes I feel like Kyron might be right underneath everyone's noses - so to speak - and we just don't know it.

Skyline Blvd goes through the edge of Forest Park. There are several bicycle trails into Forest Park off of Skyline.

Thank You for all the posts. It helps to hear what those of you who live in the general locale have to say. I'm surprised at how quiet it sounds right now. I don't imagine LE will keep everyone in the dark much longer because, of course, you still have concerns for the safety of your own children.

It's a blessing the children are now on summer vacation, but I'm sure they and the whole community has been stunned that Kyron is gone, he's somewhere, and there's no real answers yet.

Thank You for all the posts. It helps to hear what those of you who live in the general locale have to say. I'm surprised at how quiet it sounds right now. I don't imagine LE will keep everyone in the dark much longer because, of course, you still have concerns for the safety of your own children.

It's a blessing the children are now on summer vacation,but I'm sure they and the whole community has been stunned that Kyron is gone, he's somewhere, and there's no real answers yet.

BBM - ITA with your post Curious Me. Where is he, who took him away?

Reading this thread makes me feel pretty sad. Some of the posts are reminding me of how much terrain there is ... without clues or evidence to point them in the right direction, searchers could very easily never find him. It could be by "luck" (for the abductor), or by design, but how horrible for Kyron's family, and for the rest of us, too.

The other thought I had was that if this was something planned in advance, the perpetrator could have made/built/dug a space on their property (or elsewhere) in advance specifically for this purpose. =(

This is truly depressing. If there is a perp, I hope the police get a break in the case and get the truth out of him or her. I just keep thinking about how Nina Reiser was buried only half a mile from where her children slept. And they couldn't find her without that *advertiser censored*'s help.

I take comfort in the fact that the truth always comes out and Justice is always served, whether it be in this life or the next. Whoever is responsible will one day pay

Welcome locals! We have a lot of new members who live in Oregon and specifically in the Portland area. :woohoo: Your input is invaluable!

Please remember that Websleuths is not home to rumors you may have heard in the area. As a local, we need to back up any facts we've learned with a link.

VERIFIED locals have more freedom to post things they have heard in the area. This does require an email to Tricia, the owner of Websleuths. She will ask you questions about who you are and why you want to post information that is usually not allowed on Websleuths. This would mainly be for those who are in a profession so they can be added to our Professional Poster list or be a friend of Kyron's family. If you would like to discuss having more freedom with your information as a verified local or professional poster, please email her: tgrif@xmission.com

Most locals do not need to be verified because they are merely explaining the area, or they might have a child that attends Skyline and can explain what they've observed at the school. These posts are allowed and welcomed.

I'll leave this thread open for locals and those who might want to be verified in case anyone has questions for the mods.

Thanks again everyone for being here! :grouphug:

Bumping up as a reminder. Currently, our verified locals are Freefallzzzz, Gwenabob and Joshiesmom.

I want to thank ALL OF OUR LOCALS who are letting us know about the area, the pulse of the community, and how they view this horrible case. I pray for a miracle and Kyron is found safe! I won't give up and neither will any caring Oregonian! :grouphug:

In the press conference last friday - june 18 - Gates is heard asking the community to keep looking for kyron. Do you guys know what he meant by this? Are there groups or individuals in your community actively searching for Kyron? thanks for all you do.

Hi All,

I live in the part of town that's near the gym and the church where the vigil took place. I agree it's quiet as far as news, but as someone else said, we don't want this case to be ruined. We don't want an OJ case, or Ramsey Bonet, etc. I also wont' be posting any hearsay or speculation for just that reason (not that there is much).

The other thing is all our kids just got out of school on the 17th, so we're all adjusting to that and very busy, not that everyone isn't upset about this case. But they specifically do not want our help searching, either physically on foot or looking for anybody in particular (aside from TM if we were around that Friday the 4th and saw her or the white truck). We're all horrified at the situation, but again as I've said before, the tone here is that there *isn't* a mad man around and our children aren't in danger, so what can we do but wait?

BBM. First, THANK YOU to all of the locals that are giving us insight to your community. I would like to touch on 2 things you mentioned and get your opinion. Please understand that I am NOT asking for rumor, hearsay, or speculation ... just your personal perspective & opinion.

You said that LE has made it clear they do not want anyone helping search (paraphrasing). I have heard of 2 little girls that were murdered (possibly in your town if I read right ... I'm not familiar w/ those cases ... Ward case?). What I am wondering is this: Is Kyron's case being treated any differently, from your prospective, as far as LE not wanting help searching? Has there been missing kids in the past that citizens got to help search for?

Next, I get the feeling that people feel relatively safe there. Parent's aren't in a panic that there may be a predator lurking to take their kids next (paraphrasing again). Can you tell me what prompted you to feel that you and your family are safe? Is it that the LE is very much respected and trusted in this area? Do you (or others) feel that LE knows who and are just gathering evidence? Again, I am NOT asking for rumors or names ... just a general understanding if possible.

Any other locals that would like to comment on my questions please do.

I live just a few miles from the school. Even though I have small kids, I don't worry too much about a loose abducter. Knowing that this school is in such a rural area with the only way to leave via road are very curvy roads, along with other things we have learned, make me believe that Kyron had to leave with someone he knew. Yes, I do still keep an extra eye out, but I always have and haven't changed my behavior. Also, I trust LE completely, so when they said this was an isolated incident, I truly believe they were trying to tell us that there was not a strange predator on the loose and they know who did it, just need more evidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susanna410
Back