Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if WaPo this, but many news outlets pay a licensing fee for photos and videos and that is how they get around this.

They pay a licensing fee to the outlet that takes the photos but the subjects are not compenstated. It's similiar to a subsciption to AP so they are not getting around anyone. They don't pay period.

They pay a licensing fee to the outlet that takes the photos but the subjects are not compenstated. It's similiar to a subsciption to AP so they are not getting around anyone. They don't pay period.

Like I said, I don't know if wapo does it, but some news outlets do.

A
If it was just Dickinson making the allegation I would be beyond skeptical.

But it's not.

I think that even dismissing someone like J Dickinson is really unfortunate because it's always easy to dismiss the eccentric party girl. Well, prostitutes can be raped and women of every age, race and personality; just because J Dickinson is part of Hollywood culture doesn't make it less likely. As a matter of fact, predators may choose carefully a "broken bird" because it makes the perpetrator that much more believable and makes it easier to claim "well she's crazy"...

For example, one of my close friends was raped by another student at our high school. She was an outspoken girl, sometimes a drama queen, and many of her friends stopped being her friend because she spoke out. It got pretty heated at school and people tried to silence her. Some kids didn't want to deal with it and the perpetrator kept lying saying she was just crazy. A few of us believed her and were really upset that nothing happened to the student and it was downplayed. Well, eventually the perpetrator admitted that he raped her after he wasn't going to get in trouble. Initially they thought she was being "dramatic". The point is, is it's not about personalities, it's about facts. To me, it does women a disservice to take their claims less seriously because they are in limelight or in a non-traditional female profession.

ETA It's just appalling that Cosby "spanish fly" comedy bit was allowed and that people actually found it funny. Sometimes the misogyny is too much. BC actually discussed with L.King awhile ago:

http://news.yahoo.com/cosby-uproar-...lYwNzcgRwb3MDOARjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQ0M18x

If BC can joke about it, he probably confided in his friends or acquaintances what he was doing (if allegations are true). If so, I bet there are male friends of his that are fully aware of his crimes, and hope they speak out if that's the case.

Or friends of Cosby that could be implicated.

I apologize if this point has been made earlier - I have not read through the entire thread.

I'm Canadian. There are 2 ex-pro hockey players (Theoran Fleury, Sheldon Kennedy) whose experiences of sexual abuse by their hockey coach is well-known. Both have done a great deal of work on behalf of victims and to educate the public and prevent sexual abuse.

http://www.amazon.ca/Why-I-Didnt-Say-Anything/dp/1554830362

http://www.macleans.ca/society/theoren-fleury-was-abused-an-absolute-nightmare-every-day-of-my-life/

I know these two stories are not representative of all male victims of sexual abuse, but I would like to point out that both these men waited years to report their abuse, and no one had difficulty believing them. They are regarded as heroes for their courage to come forward.

IMO

Spanish fly jokes have been around since I was a kid, 50 years ago. Though the substance may be a mild irritant of mucous membranes, I don't remember anybody claiming it caused a girl to lose consciousness. The joke, thin as it was, was always the irrational hope of teenage boys for a magic "persuader".

Now that roofies are so commonly used--and Spanish fly has been linked to such things--I don't see much of a joke there any more.

It is astounding to me that the biggest reason given to believe he didn't rape those women is that "too many have come forth". Too... many.

There are thousands of rich and powerful men and women in the entertainment industry. I'd venture a guess that the majority of them have had relationships with people who worked with/for them. And yet, no one ever comes forth to accuse them of sexual assault just to cash in on their millions.

Why is it that BC seems to have had over a dozen women in his life loathe him enough to lie about sexual assault and have their character questioned and life turned upside down... for money? They just... hate him that much and want to exploit the situation for money? Live their entire lives out with that over their heads but yay they get to drive a Benz? How does that even make sense to people who use that "reason" to defend BC?

And the "lack of evidence" defense? Don't even get me started. Hell, most times all it takes to have zero evidence is to use a condom. Then there is no physical evidence of rape IF the victim is lucid and willing enough to go to the police. Bruising doesn't always happen and it isn't always considered enough evidence.

Over a dozen women and we as a society in general don't believe them because... he's rich? He's lovable? He's famous?
My parents used the same argument against Anita Hill when she accused Clarence Thomas of sexual harassment. "Oh, she's only looking to get a book out of it!":doh: Not that he had good reason to lie- a Supreme Court nomination at stake...:snooty::silenced:

Rape is an act that takes place in isolation so that one person's word against another is all we have. We can only use our common sense, intuition, and life experience to decide who is telling the truth. A rapist is not going to rape a woman in front of others and if DNA is left, he and his lawyer only have to say we/they had sex but it was consensual. So I have come to the conclusion that people who always believe the accused in the face of credible testimony by the victims basically don't believe in rape. Or they don't care. It is a waste of time to argue against their denial. They will never admit a misoganist bias against women, but that's what it is. I do feel by the responses this scandal is getting that people as a whole are more willing to listen to women's voices, but then maybe it's just because there are so many of them.

So true!!! My uncle made sure nobody was in view both when he would brush up against me from behind when I was little, and when he ambushed me. It would've been his word against mine, and even when I did tell years later, my family still didn't believe me.

Or friends of Cosby that could be implicated.

I don't know which alleged victim it is, but I thought one of the victim's claimed BC drugged her so that his friend could rape her. Not sure, I am stating correctly though. But you're right there may be other friends involved. If so, who and what have they said on the matter(s)?

It is really interesting, isn't it, that there hasn't been a huge outpouring of support for BC among his friends, and people he has worked with. Only a voice here and there as far as I've seen.

Bill Crosby could've been responsible for a death if he gave someone some drug and they had a serious reaction. I wonder if he would have called for help or just high-tailed it out of there. Giving someone any drug or too much liquor to get them into bed is wrong, and not a funny joke.

He made jokes about Spanish Fly, so I thought I'd look it up. You know how it is here, we always learn something new from being on this forum.

Very interesting facts about Spanish Fly, especially the historical tidbits under the sexual desire section. (he's even mentioned in that section!) It's made from a pretty beetle. Who knew? It says that "its irritant effects upon the body's genitourinary tract, and can result in poisoning if ingested."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_fly

"The Spanish fly is an emerald-green beetle in the family Meloidae, Lytta vesicatoria."

It is really interesting, isn't it, that there hasn't been a huge outpouring of support for BC among his friends, and people he has worked with. Only a voice here and there as far as I've seen.
Yes, why haven't some of his dear friends and famous co-workers spoken out in his favor?

I just find it strange that he is almost 80 and now everybody was a victim. Idk.

Trying to keep up, but incredibly the list of victims keeps growing. I hadn't heard this woman's allegations.

Bill Cosby's 1980s Co-Star Claims He Sexually Assaulted Her, Paid College Tuition
21 hours ago
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/bill-cosbys-1980s-co-star-claims-sexually-assaulted-074400620.html

"...His “Picture Pages” segments filmed in Pittsburgh — the shorts started on a local Pittsburgh children's show — and he was looking for local talent. Hill, a 15-year-old model and aspiring actress, was recommended by her modeling agency...."

"By the time she was 19, Hill claims Cosby was paying her college tuition and her family saw him as a father-figure in her life."

So true!!! My uncle made sure nobody was in view both when he would brush up against me from behind when I was little, and when he ambushed me. It would've been his word against mine, and even when I did tell years later, my family still didn't believe me.
Iam sorry to hear that.

I think once the checks stopped. People are now feeling like victims.

Please provide specifics. Checks to whom?

why is this done over and over? I just check in every now and then don't read every post and *I* know that two posts above this someone talks about tuition being paid, other settlements have been discussed, and someone claims to have made payments on cosby's behalf...it's not a secret that money has exchanged hands -

Reading this makes it clear that many people were aware of the documented allegations for years, but tried to make light of it, skirting around it being truth, until now. IMO, it doesn't matter who got checks or settlements, but that Crosby put himself in that position over and over again. He had to pay off people to keep quiet about his wrong doings and secrets. If it is true, yes, some people would describe him as a serial rapist.

Cosby Biographer: ‘I Was Wrong’ for Not Addressing Sex Abuse Claims
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/co...or-not-addressing-sex-abuse-claims/ar-BBfG51O

As far as I know, as of yesterday there was only ONE woman who got money in a settlement of a law suit, right? And yet, in discussing this topic on "The View" this morning, Whoppi was back on her soapbox beating the "why did they wait 30 years" drum. In addition, someone, I am not sure who as I had glanced away from the TV, chimed in with "well they got SETTLEMENTS out of it" - implying that ALL of the women who have made the accusations have received settlements.

Now, how is it that people whose job it is to be up on current affairs would not have correctly read any of the numerous articles that are on the internet at this point? And that such a piece of misinformation would be broadcast as truth?

If the ladies of The View are going to discuss this topic, they need to be stating the FACTS! Whoppie won't believe any of this "without solid proof" she says. Okay, fine. But DON'T be making false statements on national television - because it kind of looks like someone may be trying to perform a whitewash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akwy