Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He won't escape the consequences to his career and his image (for whatever those two things are ultimately worth). As far as facing the legal music...well, most of those allegations are beyond the statute of limitations, so in none of those particular cases will he be charged. Are there any cases that we know of for which the statute of limitations would not yet have exceeded? Like you, I tend to doubt that he will truly be held legally accountable. I know why women so often don't report sexual assault right away, or even ever, but why do men drug women for sex? Especially men who likely could get it any time they want without doing it-and we know he's done that plenty of times.

Come on, the guy is 77, does he have a career? (or more to the point, does he need one?), all he has is a reputation, & if enough people believe these allegations, it's ruined. I don't think the truth will come out in court, but both Mr. Cosby & the women who have had 'encounters' with him know the truth, I'm sure there's enough pain to go around.

Statistics regarding false accusations of rape (from Wikipedia):

"A false accusation of rape is the intentional reporting of a rape by an alleged victim when no rape has occurred. Studies have found that police typically classify between 1.5 and 8% of rape accusations as unfounded, unproven or false, however researchers say those determinations are often dubious. The "conventional scholarly wisdom," according to American law professor Michelle J. Anderson, is that two percent of rape complaints made to the police are false. The United States Justice Department agrees, saying false accusations "are estimated to occur at the low rate of two percent -- similar to the rate of false accusations for other violent crimes." However, others say eight percent or more of rape accusations are false, and as a scientific matter the answer remains unknown.[ Turvey, Brent E. (2013). Forensic Victimology: Examining Violent Crime Victims in Investigative and Legal Contexts. Academic Press. p. 265. ISBN 0124080847.]"

Even if the rate of false accusations of rape is 10%, in this instance it would allow us to statistically rule out maybe 2 of the accusations (based on 13 -17 victims). That would still statistically yield 11-15 victims who are not lying.

With specific regard to Janice Dickinson's claims, IMO not believing her based on what you know of her from seeing her on tv has as much validity as believing Cosby could not possibly be guilty of these crimes because he is a successful entertainer and pitchman.

It is sad to see all of this. But I have to wonder if there had been no recording of the Seventh Heaven actor, Steven C? would we be having a similar discussion? I think we would. I remember no one believing or I should say many believing OJ was innocent. I think we hold Actors and Public Figures to a much higher standard and we are reluctant to believe what we don't see portrayed on TV. Our minds have a hard time wrapping around this kind of stuff, KWIM?[/QUOTE]

I think it's because we see these people on tv, in character, and think we know them- that's why we have a hard time believing that they'd do such perverse stuff. I had that reaction when it first started to look like OJ was the suspect in the death of his ex-wife and Ron Goldman.

The story I heard of Spanish Fly growing up was different. Spanish Fly wasn't supposed to be a knockout drug. It was supposed to be a drug that got women super aroused.

I think some want their fifteen minutes of fame, a book deal or to get back at Cosby for one reason or another that has nothing to do with being raped. JMO

What strikes me as proof for some of the stories is that when the suit occurred in 2006 a private investigator for the plaintiff found 13 other victims, with very similar stories. JMO

If that is true then where in 2006 did they all come forward and make their accusations and go to authorities??? Why wait 8 more years???

So now Don Lemmon has apologized to "anyone who found his question insensitive". During an interview he asked one of the victims why she did not use her teeth as a weapon and bite Cosby's penis when her forced her to perform oral sex

:mad: I saw earlier that DL was trending on twitter, and had to check it out. I could not believe what I was reading. CNN has had problems in the past and anchors have been fired over comments. JMO, but he should have at least been suspended for such a horrendous comment.

I'm

Come on, the guy is 77, does he have a career? (or more to the point, does he need one?), all he has is a reputation, & if enough people believe these allegations, it's ruined. I don't think the truth will come out in court, but both Mr. Cosby & the women who have had 'encounters' with him know the truth, I'm sure there's enough pain to go around.

He's been working quite a bit in the 2000s:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001070/otherworks?ref_=nmbio_sa_1

Betcha $5 Cosby comes out with some lame story and statement in the next week denying, excusing and/or blaming these victims. The feedback about his remaining silent will get his peeps moving to make him say something. And then his (probable) lies will start.

I'm disgusted by Whoopi Goldberg's comments today. Hollywood and the entertainment crowd seem to make excuses for their fellow entertainers when they exhibit abhorrent behavior.

Not so fast-she might be making excuses for him, but I get what she is saying-as hard as it is to report a sexual assault, and especially one perpetrated by a beloved celebrity, it would be the right thing to do, so he doesn't keep doing it. In other words, it doesn't do anybody any good to wait for years to tell the police. I don't know that Whoopie is saying that he didn't do it-just that there's little credible actionable proof-actionable is the key word here; the credibility of these women increases with each additional accusation. I am wondering what the point of waiting until he's 77 years old would be, before all of these women have their say? Is it just the strength in numbers? I believe this happened to some of the women, but not necessarily Janice Dickinson.

:sigh: I'm so disillusioned by these terrible actions of famous stars, sports people, priests, my former mayor, some of the police department, etc., etc., :sigh: People I looked up to are not as pure as I thought.

Years ago Charles Barkley got into trouble from the media for saying that athletes shouldn't be role models. Parents should be role models, but he's right, IMO. There is so much more that goes on behind everybody's lives that if/when it comes out people feel let down. I have to admit I feel the same way. It would make me really upset if Fred Jackson, Eric Wood or Kyle Williams (Bills players) were accused of something heinous. Those three guys are shining examples of what a person should be. (From the outside looking in.)

If that is true then where in 2006 did they all come forward and make their accusations and go to authorities??? Why wait 8 more years???

Most aren't coming forward now, and never will. Why women don't report rape happens for many reasons. I don't know why in every case. My friend who was raped felt like it wasn't worth it because of the sentence the guy got. I told her that at least in the future if someone else accuses him they might take it more seriously given his past conviction. That's all I could say. I'm sure that some women who've heard her story think it just isn't worth the pain and accusations to press charges. JMO

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/19/showbiz/bill-cosby-rape-allegation-prosecutor/index.html?hpt=en_c2

Ex-prosecutor wanted to charge Bill Cosby but lacked evidence
By Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN
updated 5:48 PM EST, Wed November 19, 2014

(CNN) -- A former prosecutor who declined to bring charges against Bill Cosby a decade ago said Wednesday that he wishes he could've nailed the comedian on an allegation that he drugged and molested a woman at his Pennsylvania home.

Bruce Castor also told CNN that he believed Cosby -- a beloved figure who, with his wit and boyish smile, has charmed audiences as a family-friendly stand-up comic, the voice of Fat Albert, the host of "Picture Pages" and the star of a wildly popular eponymous sitcom -- lied to authorities....

What a nasty old man! Figuring the first incident reported so far was around 1970, if he is 77 now, he was around 32 at the time. I'll bet there are more than just 14 women out there that he did this to.

Not so fast-she might be making excuses for him, but I get what she is saying-as hard as it is to report a sexual assault, and especially one perpetrated by a beloved celebrity, it would be the right thing to do, so he doesn't keep doing it. In other words, it doesn't do anybody any good to wait for years to tell the police. I don't know that Whoopie is saying that he didn't do it-just that there's little credible actionable proof-actionable is the key word here; the credibility of these women increases with each additional accusation. I am wondering what the point of waiting until he's 77 years old would be, before all of these women have their say? Is it just the strength in numbers? I believe this happened to some of the women, but not necessarily Janice Dickinson.

The impetus for all of these women coming forward was his twitter account posting pictures of him and asking people to meme him. Well he was expecting funny memes, but a lot of people started memeing him with the rape allegations from years ago. That became a national story because he had Streisand Effected himself. I believe at that point the woman who had the case against him and settled out of court was asked about her thoughts and then a lot of other victims came out to bolster her claims and tell their stories.

Well it looks like Bill Cosby made a stupid decision on his twitter account. He sort of "Streisand Effected" himself.

http://us.cnn.com/2014/11/14/showbiz/tv/bill-cosby-rape-allegations/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Rape allegations haunt Bill Cosby in the digital age
By Todd Leopold and Ben Brumfield, CNN
updated 5:08 AM EST, Fri November 14, 2014

...The Tweet

On Monday, the comedian -- or whomever was in charge of his social media -- put out a challenge with a jovial picture of Cosby in a cap: "Go ahead. Meme me! #cosbymeme."

The Internet immediately reacted, but probably not in the way Cosby expected.

"Claire, have you seen my ... nevermind, found my raping hat!" tweeted Trill Withers over the cap picture....

View attachment 63512

There's a lot more to this and I suggest reading the entire article before commenting.

Here's the OP for those who've jumped into the conversation in mid stream.

Publicity, money, Fame.. who knows.. People do things for all kinds of reasons.

I just don't buy it. I am sorry. I need proof before someone gets dragged through the mud. I am so horrified at today's media justice. Some one makes an allegation and so it must be true.. That is not justice.. That is gossip.

We're on opposite sides, then, because I DO buy it- why would any kind of fame or publicity for saying that you were assaulted by some nasty old man be worth it? There's not going to be any proof, at this stage, you just have to determine for yourself who seems more credible.

After reading all these comments I have concluded that there are some people who just do not believe there is such a thing as rape and they will never be able to relate to a rape victim. I don't rhink anyone is going to change their mind here.

They did not "all come forward" in 2006. The people working for Andrea Constand's civil suit located them and they all agreed to testify anonymously.

Several of the women spoke out afterward but the story never got legs because they weren't believed. They didn't wait another 8 years to bring it up again--it took 8 years before the story received any real attention.

I don't have a link handy but I'll find one.

As for needing proof of rape before you believe it, what about all the children who were molested by priests? By the time that got any attention they were adults and any proof was long gone. Do you believe any of them?

We're on opposite sides, then, because I DO buy it- why would any kind of fame or publicity for saying that you were assaulted by some nasty old man be worth it? There's not going to be any proof, at this stage, you just have to determine for yourself who seems more credible.

Just take a look at what Janice D does for publicity and you will understand

The one question I cannot understand is what do these women want? Money? To defame Cosby? What's the purpose? Which ones can we possibly believe?

While it would be nice to think that every rape victim should go to the police and report the crime, even that action doesn't assure that the case will make it to trial, or even that the evidence will be processed:

"Every two minutes, someone is sexually assaulted in the United States. With the crime of sexual assault, the victim’s body is a part of the crime scene. When the victim reports the assault to the police, a hospital or rape crisis center, a doctor or nurse will photograph, swab and conduct an invasive and exhaustive examination of the victim’s entire body for DNA evidence left behind by the attacker—a process that takes four to six hours to complete. That evidence is collected and preserved in a sexual assault evidence kit, commonly referred to as a rape kit.

When tested, DNA evidence contained inside rape kits can be an incredibly powerful tool to solve and prevent crime. It can identify an unknown assailant and confirm the presence of a known suspect. It can affirm the survivor's account of the attack and discredit the suspect. It can connect the suspect to other crime scenes. It can exonerate innocent suspects.

To accomplish these things, however, rape kits must be tested.

In the past, the federal government estimated that hundreds of thousands of rape kits sit untested in police and crime storage facilities across the country in what is known as the rape kit backlog. Each kit represents a lost opportunity to bring healing and justice to a survivor of sexual violence. "
- See more at: http://www.endthebacklog.org/backlog/what-backlog#sthash.d4NiTWhp.dpuf

And from Wikipedia:

"According to a 2009 report by Human Rights Watch, Los Angeles, California has the largest known rape kit backlog in the United States, with at least 12,669 languishing in storage facilities of the Los Angeles Police Department, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, and 47 independent police departments in Los Angeles County, and "smaller, but not inconsiderable" backlogs residing at police crime labs. These backlogs consist of both kits stored in evidence storage facilities, for which DNA analysis is not requested by investigating detectives, and those submitted for testing at crime lab facilities, but which have not been tested in a timely manner. Although authorities have struggled to address the backlog problem, their attempts have reportedly been hampered by funding issues and politics. As a consequence of these backlogs, assault survivors are often not informed of the status of their rape kit or their case.["Testing Justice". Human Rights Watch. May 31, 2009]

They did not "all come forward" in 2006. The people working for Andrea Constand's civil suit located them and they all agreed to testify anonymously.

Several of the women spoke out afterward but the story never got legs because they weren't believed. They didn't wait another 8 years to bring it up again--it took 8 years before the story received any real attention.

I don't have a link handy but I'll find one.

As for needing proof of rape before you believe it, what about all the children who were molested by priests? By the time that got any attention they were adults and any proof was long gone. Do you believe any of them?

ETA: Here's one link. I know I read that the women who agreed to be witnesses were contacted by Constand's investigators, not the other way around. I'll keep looking.

"As news of that lawsuit spread, 13 other women came forward with similar allegations of drugging and abuse and who were willing to serve as witnesses in Constand's case. Cosby denied assaulting Constand and the lawsuit was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

Although many of the women were listed as Jane Doe's, some made their accusations and identities public. California attorney Tamara Green also came forward in 2005 and said on the Today Show that Cosby had drugged and assaulted her. Cosby denied even knowing Green.

In 2006, Philadelphia magazine twice interviewed Barbara Bowman, another witness in Constand's lawsuit. In the stories, Bowman detailed several sexual assaults allegedly at the hands of Cosby."

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...ssault-claims-against-bill-cosby-back-n250161

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mutations