Rebecca's cell phone records

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE proclaimed everybody was truthful with them so I presume they just believed whatever was told to them. Did they ever try to find out if there actually was a message?

I find it difficult to think LE would not confirm info given to them by a witness. Perhaps people with power and influence have much impact on whether or not the info they give is confirmed by investigators? Maybe some witnesses are given the benefit of a doubt based on WHO they are? I dunno....just wondering....:waitasec:

I hope the Zahau family will be successful in obtaining phone records of all those involved. I think they will tell the tale. The fact that Rebecca did not have a missed call is a huge red flag. My daughter was a district manager for AT&T, she said ALL cell phones tell you that your phone has a voice mail, text or a missed call. As she said to me, 'otherwise, if you had to turn your phone off for some reason, no one would be able to reach you. This way, they can leave you a message, just by calling or leaving a voice message, or text. One of the main differences between a landline or a cell and an advantage because it is a portable device.....' (I'll spare you the rest of my technology part of the lesson)

Dearest Sunnie,
You are completely correct that all cell phones have a log of all calls, including missed calls on them. On the actual phone device itself. The Zahau family is fighting still to get their hands on Rebecca's actual phone. So to the best of my understanding, we do not know what is or is not on the device. Unless I am missing something. We have only been shown the phone records from AT&T, I believe.

Dearest Sunnie,
You are completely correct that all cell phones have a log of all calls, including missed calls on them. On the actual phone device itself. The Zahau family is fighting still to get their hands on Rebecca's actual phone. So to the best of my understanding, we do not know what is or is not on the device. Unless I am missing something. We have only been shown the phone records from AT&T, I believe.

I do not understand why police can keep her phone and have not released it to her family. They declared her death an iron clad suicide and thus aren't planning to investigate it anymore.

I do not understand why police can keep her phone and have not released it to her family. They declared her death an iron clad suicide and thus aren't planning to investigate it anymore.

Or any of her other personal effects. Apparantly they have asked for and been denied any items.

Or any of her other personal effects. Apparantly they have asked for and been denied any items.

Why? What right do police have to keep these items? They are not investigating anything anymore. And RN and JS were not married, so JS is not her next of kin, her parents and sisters are.

I completely agree jjenny. They should give them her stuff back. My understanding from other articles is that the attorney for the Z family has filed the required paperwork in hopes of getting her articles returned. This hassle has to do with the fact the items were obtained via a search warrant, giving "investigators" more legal hoops for the family to have to jump through to get her stuff back. Hopefully Ms. Bremner will be successful.

I also think since the case is "closed" both families should have access to the full investigation, including MS & RZ. Both families (shacknai & zahua) should be equally supportive of each other in their search for answers. To be clear, I would feel compelled to share my phone records with others if it helped to answer their questions and relieve some of their pain. IMO

Both families have clearly suffered, but they are not the only ones who have. We as a public are also hurt, disturbed and confused by this. My perception of law enforcement has changed and my heart aches for answers to the many questions that remain. This case MUST be reopened. Something is missing here.

The phone may not be owned by RN, it might be owned by JS.

JMO

The phone may not be owned by RN, it might be owned by JS.

JMO

That's a good point, plus didn't they say they might reopen the case if new evidence or a new witness came forward? For that, they'd need the phone.

In a an early article, a friend of GS is quoted as saying she was in Coronado. But left before paramedics arrived.

I wonder who took her to the airport? It seems that Rebecca was the go-to gal when it came to airport transportation for that household.

That's a good point, plus didn't they say they might reopen the case if new evidence or a new witness came forward? For that, they'd need the phone.

Why would they think a new evidence or witness might come forward if they have an iron clad suicide case?

I wonder who took her to the airport? It seems that Rebecca was the go-to gal when it came to airport transportation for that household.

She was also in the airport that same day to pick up DS's sister.

I completely agree jjenny. They should give them her stuff back. My understanding from other articles is that the attorney for the Z family has filed the required paperwork in hopes of getting her articles returned. This hassle has to do with the fact the items were obtained via a search warrant, giving "investigators" more legal hoops for the family to have to jump through to get her stuff back. Hopefully Ms. Bremner will be successful.

I also think since the case is "closed" both families should have access to the full investigation, including MS & RZ. Both families (shacknai & zahua) should be equally supportive of each other in their search for answers. To be clear, I would feel compelled to share my phone records with others if it helped to answer their questions and relieve some of their pain. IMO
Both families have clearly suffered, but they are not the only ones who have. We as a public are also hurt, disturbed and confused by this. My perception of law enforcement has changed and my heart aches for answers to the many questions that remain. This case MUST be reopened. Something is missing here.

BBM
Peaceful, your bolded comment summarizes my feelings as well. And, regardless of who owns the phone, the answers should be forthcoming and not require the legal means to do it. I believe withholding such key information doesn't speak well for our criminal justice system nor anyone else for that matter. Seeking and disclosing the truth is all anyone is asking for. Anything less than that simply looks like a cover up.

BBM
Peaceful, your bolded comment summarizes my feelings as well. And, regardless of who owns the phone, the answers should be forthcoming and not require the legal means to do it. I believe withholding such key information doesn't speak well for our criminal justice system nor anyone else for that matter. Seeking and disclosing the truth is all anyone is asking for. Anything less than that simply looks like a cover up.

Which is why the Zahau's are attempting to obtain information, imho. I have never seen a suicide handled like this. Has anyone else? Usually after the ME determines suicide, the family can do what they please with their loved ones belongings. You would think that when the body was released, that all other items would have been. Especially since LE declared this an 'ironclad conclusion'.

I also don't see anything in the autopsy report to support the idea that there were initial positive reports on Max's condition and that changed for the worse before the supposed message. And as far as I can tell, no physical evidence has been produced to indicate such a message ever existed to begin with. But LE thinks everybody was very truthful with them, so I guess they just took a word that there was a message and what it was about.

The proof of the message would be found in the outgoing call detail on the phone used to make the call. The time and length of the message would also be on the phone company's voice messaging server details that LE can obtain by subpoena. What they can not obtain is the message itself because she erased it and it is no longer on the server.

JMO

I believe that the bill reads Rebecca Zahau. That makes it her phone.

I don't believe you are correct. The bill is for the service, not the phone itself.

Whomever paid for the phone is the one who owns the phone.

JMO

The proof of the message would be found in the outgoing call detail on the phone used to make the call. The time and length of the message would also be on the phone company's voice messaging server details that LE can obtain by subpoena. What they can not obtain is the message itself because she erased it and it is no longer on the server.

JMO

'Proof' that a call was placed is not 'proof' of what was said. What was said, unless I missed something, was completely hearsay. It would be appropriate to, at the very least, submit evidence that the voicemail was left for Rebecca from the initiating party's phone records. At least then that detail is not left hanging not that it proves much however.

I believe that the bill reads Rebecca Zahau. That makes it her phone.

Yes the bill is in her name. What right does the sheriff's department have to keep her belongings?

'Proof' that a call was placed is not 'proof' of what was said. What was said, unless I missed something, was completely hearsay. It would be appropriate to, at the very least, submit evidence that the voicemail was left for Rebecca from the initiating party's phone records. At least then that detail is not left hanging not that it proves much however.

At this time we haven't seen any proof it was even placed, let alone what was in it.

BBM

Phone records have always required a subpoena to obtain. There are rights to privacy that LE must respect.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member