Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do you happen to recall one of those cases where a shoe print was an "exact match" to a shoe?

Does my post that you're responding to say 'exact match"?

It should be noted here also that the investigators determined that a car was NOT used in Jacob's abduction.

They were wrong about that.

All of this information should be used for learning, not for fingerpointing.

Happy to oblige.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2010/feb/01/forehead-shoeprint-leads-felons-arrest-office-buil/

Then there's this:

http://www.forensicscienceresources.com/shoes.htm

But THIS?? This right here is the best article so far:

http://crimefeed.com/2015/11/18392/

And I quote: "DJ: There was a murder of a young woman. The suspect had stepped on the white blouse that the victim was wearing and had left a shoe print. I was able to get shoes from the suspect and the lab was able to match it, exactly to the print on the shirt. That never happens. They can often say it’s similar or consistent with a shoe, but the lab told me, ‘this is like a fingerprint. It’s an exact match.’ That’s the only time that ever happened."

It's rare but it DOES happen.

Thanks, IB. I was just wading through Forensic Files abstracts.

Perhaps having the well seasoned and experience crime lab state that the shoes and tires were 'consistent with' but not an exact match to, was the wrong thing to tell an inexperienced bunch of town police. They probably didn't understand the terminology.

It should be noted here also that the investigators determined that a car was NOT used in Jacob's abduction.

Because he took him back to a car, IB? And it wasn't at the scene of the abduction?

I lived 3 1/2 hours away from the abduction site, and even I was looking in ditches and ravines. Everyone in Minnesota was searching for clues. His story doesn't make sense to me.

I agree, the is a pathological liar, so what can we believe.

It should be pointed out that most people who are abused as children don't grow up to be abusers at all.

I was going to respond to this earlier but somehow I got sidetracked.

To this post I ask, "What?" I don't think anywhere out there anywhere are the studies or statistics to back up this statement. We as a society truly do not know the awe inspiring number of children who are sexually abused because so often it either goes unreported or under-reported or not reported or not reported until decades later.

My humble opinion is that the above quoted post has absolutely zero merit.

I would like to THINK that it's true but we simply have zero data to state that it's so.

Because he took him back to a car, IB? And it wasn't at the scene of the abduction?
You know, I'm glad you wrote this because the wording in some of these reports really becomes so critical.

Did they mean that a car wasn't used in the actual ACT of kidnapping? I don't think so. From what I've read that was the primary reason they started focusing on DR, because they had determined that there was not a car used in the abduction.

So law enforcement decided then it must be DR. I think to from listening to that MPR podcast, the kids said that they heard a rustling in the grass or the corn there the first time they passed by and then when they returned and approached the same area where they had heard that rustling, a man appeared on the road.

Maybe that contributed to the police reaching their own conclusions about there not being a car.

Come on folks .... EVEN IF it could be proved that DH's car was on Rassier's driveway ... so what .... it just means he and his car were there. He could simply say he pulled in for a bathroom break , turned around and drove away

Same thing if you or I pulled onto that driveway , stopped to stretch our legs , turned around and drove away .... Should we be charged with murder ?? ... Of course not.

Besides that there was no known murder until last Tuesday. Until last Tuesday kidnapping could not even be proved. A defense could speculate that the stranger on the road sent the third boy running to the woods like he did with the first two boys .

Nobody can even say Jacob was placed in a car ... none of the boys reported seeing a car .... heck , at one point even the police felt there was no car so they went after Mr Rassier because he owned the driveway.

Maybe It's a good thing police did not charge DH with kidnapping and murder based only on the tire and shoe prints ...... a jury would have found him not guilty and he truly would have gotten away with murder. He could never be re-charged again after a jury acquittal.

As it is , he only got away with murder for 27 years.

I have to go now, thank you all of you for this lively discussion. Even when we don't agree, we are helping each other get our brains working, seeing a different point of view! Goodnight.

Come on folks .... EVEN IF it could be proved that DH's car was on Rassier's driveway ... so what .... it just means he and his car were there. He could simply say he pulled in for a bathroom break , turned around and drove away

Same thing if you or I pulled onto that driveway , stopped to stretch our legs , turned around and drove away .... Should we be charged with murder ?? ... Of course not.

Besides that there was no known murder until last Tuesday. Until last Tuesday kidnapping could not even be proved. A defense could speculate that the stranger on the road sent the third boy running to the woods like he did with the first two boys .

Nobody can even say Jacob was placed in a car ... none of the boys reported seeing a car .... heck , at one point even the police felt there was no car so they went after Mr Rassier because he owned the driveway.

Maybe It's a good thing police did not charge DH with kidnapping and murder based only on the tire and shoe prints ...... a jury would have found him not guilty and he truly would have gotten away with murder. He could never be re-charged again after a jury acquittal.

As it is , he only got away with murder for 27 years.
You are correct about most of this, however if we all just threw our hands up in the air, and said, "Move on there's nothing more to see here folks." well, Websleuths would be a ghost town.

After finally having a chance to sit down and read the transcripts..... I want to bathe the filth of that monster off of me. As many others have said, there is no way that is all of the story. BUT.... I'm not sure I would want to know any more. Another poster said they thought he was probably going back for a souvenir when he discovered the 1st grave site was uncovered. I have to agree. Jacob's family have much more control than I would have had. I do believe I would have attacked him had that been my child. I cried thinking of his last words. Poor sweet child.
Question now.... so if I read it all correctly, if another victim is found he can be tried and convicted correct?
I pray he gets put in general population. :rolleyes: Just for a few days at least.....

They did not say that in the beginning. They did not say that until 2004

You know, I'm glad you wrote this because the wording in some of these reports really becomes so critical.

Did they mean that a car wasn't used in the actual ACT of kidnapping? I don't think so. From what I've read that was the primary reason they started focusing on DR, because they had determined that there was not a car used in the abduction.

So law enforcement decided then it must be DR. I think to from listening to that MPR podcast, the kids said that they heard a rustling in the grass or the corn there the first time they passed by and then when they returned and approached the same area where they had heard that rustling, a man appeared on the road.

Maybe that contributed to the police reaching their own conclusions about there not being a car.

I think you have to read about this case and Kevin in . 2004

Please read about this case as this is not true until 2004

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tillygirl
Back