Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My only point is gun shots in late OCT. isn't unusual to hear in the Paynesville area.

Except that it wasn't deer season. Even if it was deer season, every single legal hunter in Minnesota knows that you cannot shoot a deer after dusk. This was in the dark.

While I agree that gun shots in a rural area are not unusual nor usually a cause for alarm, most people hear gunshots in a rural area and pause to see if anything else is going on. If; upon rising the next morning they find out that a young boy was missing in that area it may occur to them that the shots heard were unusual indeed.

As of yet we have not heard what the medical examiner has to say about the examination of the remains.

No one knew who DR was until 2010. He was named a POI then
Well hmm. I thought he was always a suspect because his driveway was where the abduction took place and the boys never saw a car. Was he an unnamed POI very until 2010? Like maybe he wasn't formally stated a POI but small town gossip made him one possibly?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I lived in the country. We heard shots all of the time. That Is a good point that a shot that night would be unusual . Perhaps people were asleep.

Except that it wasn't deer season. Even if it was deer season, every single legal hunter in Minnesota knows that you cannot shoot a deer after dusk. This was in the dark.

While I agree that gun shots in a rural area are not unusual nor usually a cause for alarm, most people hear gunshots in a rural area and pause to see if anything else is going on. If; upon rising the next morning they find out that a young boy was missing in that area it may occur to them that the shots heard were unusual indeed.

As of yet we have not heard what the medical examiner has to say about the examination of the remains.
Regarding the remains, I'm also curious to see if what he says happened lines up with the evidence. Maybe he doesn't realize how easily it could be to tell if he shot him or not.

Well hmm. I thought he was always a suspect because his driveway was where the abduction took place and the boys never saw a car. Was he an unnamed POI very until 2010? Like maybe he wasn't formally stated a POI but small town gossip made him one possibly?

I don't think so. I know people who lived in the area, and they never heard of him. His name was not out there until 2010. Sher , a poster on here, said that she had friends that lived by the Wetterlings that were searched so often that they gave LE a key. I don't think anyone would think searches of DR property would be unusual

LE thought there was a car until 2004 when Kevin came forward

I lived in the country. We heard shots all of the time. That Is a good point that a shot that night would be unusual . Perhaps people were asleep.

Right, and to IBsleuthin's point, I was looking at it from the perspective of the perp. The perp, it would seem, would not be comfortable discharging a firearm near houses regardless of how 'normal' it might be to hear those sounds. I would think a perp would want at least some distance between himself and a witness so that it would be difficult for a witness to say where it came from. Given what we've found now, I think there was enough distance from the murder scene and the nearest residence (the farmhouse across the street) that no one at that farm could really say where the shot came from, even if they made a connection to the abduction. Given that it was a handgun, anything much more than 100 yards makes it really hard to figure out where it came from.

I would also go on to add to what you've said here, depending on what a home was made of, the sound could be very very muffled. Our farm house is made of brick and block. You can't hear anything unless you're outside. Some houses are easier to hear, others aren't. But considering the situation the night before, IF I heard a shot or two during the night, I may have investigated the area I heard the shots come from. But even the direction could be hard to make out from gunshots.

I have a feeling he moved the remains when the house was being built. Maybe the proximity to the first gravesite made him nervous.

I'm so glad you mentioned that! I am not familiar with who Kevin is.

"Kevin" is known only to law enforcement. We don't even know if he existed. LE said that "Kevin" and a "girl" drove down DR's driveway just before the abduction. The implication was that it was "Kevin" that had left tire tracks in DR's driveway, thus explaining the fresh tracks there. Ergo, no car was used in the abduction because no tracks were found. This, of course, was preposterous considering the fact that the tracks found in the driveway were a gross mismatch for the car "Kevin" and "friend" were in, or any car owned by DR. The fresh tracks left there were clearly a "foreign" car track that had to be explained. It matched the tracks of DH's car.

Correction: I said just before, it might have been just after the abduction that "Kevin" supposedly drove down DR's driveway.

"Kevin" is known only to law enforcement. We don't even know if he existed. LE said that "Kevin" and a "girl" drove down DR's driveway just before the abduction. The implication was that it was "Kevin" that had left tire tracks in DR's driveway, thus explaining the fresh tracks there. Ergo, no car was used in the abduction because no tracks were found. This, of course, was preposterous considering the fact that the tracks found in the driveway were a gross mismatch for the car "Kevin" and "friend" were in, or any car owned by DR. The fresh tracks left there were clearly a "foreign" car track that had to be explained. It matched the tracks of DH's car.
Thank you for explaining! That IS extremely weird. How did Kevin get mentioned to authorities? Did he come forward?

I, like many here, desperately wanted Jacob to be alive. I know that I and at least a couple of us are in shock over discovering that he in fact died a very long time ago, on a cold night alone and in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in the pines that no longer exist. I believe I know now where, when and how Jacob died. So it is that this search for answers comes to an end. And I can see that as this thread winds down, Jacob's story will fade into history in a similar way. That is also sad. But I will take from this awful story positive things about how to make a better world, and I hope all the others here do as well. Many thanks to all the sleuthers here that did everything they could to help find Jacob. You made a difference. It is really nice to see that some people who actually care do exist. Indeed, life is so strange.

Thank you for explaining! That IS extremely weird. How did Kevin get mentioned to authorities? Did he come forward?

The story is that a man came forward and admitted that he had driven down the driveway around the time of the abduction. He says he drove in, turned around near DR's house, then sped out. This was what LE based their "no car involved" theory on. I'm not really sure what they were thinking by divulging this story, but we were never given a real or full name of him or his passenger, the girl. We only knew the type of car he was supposedly driving.

Did they find the skull yet? Sorry for asking the question but I think it has to be asked.
Just clothing will not do it for me.
They said something about an orthodonist.......teeth were found then? one? two?
gun wound in skull would help to check to see if this guy is telling the truth.
It seems like one shot missed and another one misfired. So he shot three times but only one bullet killed Jacob.
Can anybody help?

Correction: I said just before, it might have been just after the abduction that "Kevin" supposedly drove down DR's driveway.

Kevin exists. His last name has been in the media. Joy and Patty apparently met him as well.

Did they find the skull yet? Sorry for asking the question but I think it has to be asked.
Just clothing will not do it for me.
They said something about an orthodonist.......teeth were found then? one? two?
gun wound in skull would help to check to see if this guy is telling the truth.

He was identified by two positive methods:
1. Dental examination
2. DNA
The remains were found with clothing items matching the description of what Jacob Wetterling was wearing at the time of the abduction. Thus, it is highly unlikely that Jacob is alive.
It seems like one shot missed and another one misfired. So he shot three times but only one bullet killed Jacob.
Can anybody help?

That appears to be the case, yes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95