Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I lived 3 1/2 hours away from the abduction site, and even I was looking in ditches and ravines. Everyone in Minnesota was searching for clues. His story doesn't make sense to me.

Yup me too, I lived about 20 miles away from Paynesville on Eagle Lake near Willmar, from 1980 to 1995. Like Jacob, there was a tom thumb a half mile up the service road from my house. I was 14 years old a year after the abduction and I was pheasant hunting alone on am abandoned railroad tracks. The tracks were gone on it so you could either walk or drive on it now. A pretty good ways into my walk I noticed a garbage can down the hill and in the ditch. Jacob was still largely on my mind, I had to check it out. I get down to the trash can and inside it was a dead deer skeleton. I then thought ok well that was worth checking out at least, and who loitered this here like this?

I think the Goldman's considered it a morale victory when they won the civil suit. Fred Goldman was hell bent on seeing justice served on behalf of his son.

I can't see the Wetterling's subjecting themselves to that type of circus of horrors. The Wetterlings got the answer they wanted, certainly no civil suit will bring back their son.

I was just speculating about the Wetterling's because Mossad brought up the topic. I am more than curious what the follow through will be with Jared's civil suit, and if any additional information will come to light.

The Goldman's civil suit made sense because OJ had money, assets, and money coming in. By suing him, they could try to make his comfortable lifestyle not so comfortable anymore. Jared has nothing to gain by a civil suit. Only the pain of having to go over the details of what happened to him again in a court room for the public to discuss.

Yes they are an exact match. I have been doing it for over 50 years including working with Local Police, State Police, FBI and Secret Service. Foot prints are as unique as finger prints and give more information about the individual that a finger print can. The print data stands the test of cross examination in court. The FBI has a very advanced program for this.

It is possible to match a print to a shoe type, but not to a specific shoe because wear patterns can change from one day to another. The best that an expert can say is that a print is a specific shoe type, and that it is similar to, or consistent with, a specific shoe.

It is not possible to state that a print came from a specific shoe unless the shoe is examined at the time that the print is made.

Thank you for posting this. I have absolutely zero experience with matching tracks or shoe prints. So yesterday when I was reading some of the search warrant information and looking at the sole of the shoe and it's unique tread, then looking at the print in the gravel I was flabergasted that they police couldn't make a more definitive conclusion. Then, add in the fact that the tires matched the tread, I'm further baffled.

What would the ODDS be that any other person in that area would have both the shoe pattern and the tire pattern that matched up with the fresh crime scene? And that the one person that DOES match up with these two independent pieces of evidence would be none other than a man the police had suspicion of as being interested in young boys??

I'm just shaking my head. Hindsight is 20/20.

Police look for tire types when they have tire prints, but similar to shoe print evidence, it is impossible to state that a tire print belongs to a specific tire. In 1990, per the search warrant, police knew that the shoe print and the tire track were similar to, or consistent with, the shoes and tires belonging to Heinrich. That alone is not sufficient to file charges, or to conclude that Heinrich alone owned that type of tire and shoe.

Yup me too, I lived about 20 miles away from Paynesville on Eagle Lake near Willmar, from 1980 to 1995. Like Jacob, there was a tom thumb a half mile up the service road from my house. I was 14 years old a year after the abduction and I was pheasant hunting alone on am abandoned railroad tracks. The tracks were gone on it so you could either walk or drive on it now. A pretty good ways into my walk I noticed a garbage can down the hill and in the ditch. Jacob was still largely on my mind, I had to check it out. I get down to the trash can and inside it was a dead deer skeleton. I then thought ok well that was worth checking out at least, and who loitered this here like this?

Yes...I think all of Minnesota did this. Subconsciously, I'm sure i have always been searching for Jacob. We all have. I just pray for peace for the Wetterlings. My porch light is on, and I've got a white ribbon on my lamppost. I'll never forget that sweet boy.

Police look for tire types when they have tire prints, but similar to shoe print evidence, it is impossible to state that a tire print belongs to a specific tire. In 1990, per the search warrant, police knew that the shoe print and the tire track were similar to, or consistent with, the shoes and tires belonging to Heinrich. That alone is not sufficient to file charges, or to conclude that Heinrich alone owned that type of tire and shoe.

What are the odds, Otto? That someone else might have the same tire track AND the same shoe print as DH?

ETA: and was a POI

He said he threw the shoes into a ravine. Looking at a map of the area that was probably from the bridge on old HWY 23 into the North fork Crow River. They probably weren't there long and there world be no reason for anyone to be down there let alone thinking finding a pair of shoes would mean anything.
On page 27 of the confession transcript, Heinrich says he "walked back home and threw his tennis shoes into a ravine about another 100 yards down the road."
The ravine in question appears to be the one pictured below at the northern end of Washburne Ave, where he lived at the time, but I'm sure LE has searched it by now.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3833373,-94.7126493,1016m/data=!3m1!1e3

attachment.php

Attachments

• Noname.jpg
    Noname.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 181
He knows what they are. He's been intimately involved in the discussion of the tracks in the relevant thread in this subforum.

Thanks. I wanted to say that too, with all respect to JJenny.

Can someone explain this to me? I fully understand that the scientific blah blah meant that the tire/shoe prints at scene wouldn't allow DH to charged without other evidence. I get this clearly. But even I, a humanities major with no claim to any relevant expertise, with a rudimentary knowledge of statistics, understands that the match between DH prints and crime scene prints represented astronomical probability that DH was the perp, given his proclivities.

So they can't charge, but - didn't they all know that he was the guy? No way do I believe that LE were a bunch of bumbling idiots. So - why go down the DR path? Did they suspect a conspiracy? Do they still, and that is why no public clearing of DR name?

The Goldman's civil suit made sense because OJ had money, assets, and money coming in. By suing him, they could try to make his comfortable lifestyle not so comfortable anymore. Jared has nothing to gain by a civil suit. Only the pain of having to go over the details of what happened to him again in a court room for the public to discuss.

"The dollar amount meant nothing to us," Kim Goldman told CNBC. "We were just thrilled that 12 people unanimously determined that he was the killer of Ron and Nicole. The rest was just paper."

Don't want to get off topic though...I was wondering if Jared pursued his civil suit, possibly additional information could be revealed. Possibly information which might reveal that DH committed perjury when he testified in court.

But they weren't similar or consistent with his shoes and tires. They were exact---because it was HIM. As far as pattern of wear on the shoes, it would have been the same. For example, if they found there was wear on the outside of the left heel, a year later there may be more wear to the outside of the left heel but the pattern wouldn't change to wear on the inside of the right heel. The pattern would be the same---just more pronounced.

"The dollar amount meant nothing to us," Kim Goldman told CNBC. "We were just thrilled that 12 people unanimously determined that he was the killer of Ron and Nicole. The rest was just paper."

Don't want to get off topic though...I was wondering if Jared pursued his civil suit, possibly additional information could be revealed. Possibly information which might reveal that DH committed perjury when he testified in court.

But this is different. OJ was never convicted and never admitted to killing Ron or Nicole. DH admitted what he did.

On page 27 of the confession transcript, Heinrich says he "walked back home and threw his tennis shoes into a ravine about another 100 yards down the road."
The ravine in question appears to be the one pictured below at the northern end of Washburne Ave, where he lived at the time, but I'm sure LE has searched it by now.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3833373,-94.7126493,1016m/data=!3m1!1e3

attachment.php

<modsnip>

Based on Heinrich's confession, the murder site and first burial site is clear.

<modsnip>

What are the odds, Otto? That someone else might have the same tire track AND the same shoe print as DH?

ETA: and was a POI

You're looking at as a layman. A prosecutor needs to look at it as making a murder care.

BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I know you can't, but ASK THE WETTERLINGS!

They'll tell you why!

You're looking at as a layman. A prosecutor needs to look at it as making a murder care.

BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I know you can't, but ASK THE WETTERLINGS!

They'll tell you why!

There have been plenty of convictions for crimes based on shoe prints or tire tracks. I'm asking you since you're the one claiming it's not enough.

But this is different. OJ was never convicted and never admitted to killing Ron or Nicole. DH admitted what he did.

Wait, what?

Who is talking dollars?

Nothing like that has EVER come up!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member