Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How is the release of the files and records about Jacob's case coming along?
I would like to see them before I die.
What is the hold-up now?
Let me guess.
Danny Heinrich does not want them to be released. This was part of the plea deal. Plead guilty to killing Jacob and then no records will not be released. Has to be the reason.

Finally. How many pages will there be? 57000? Wow!! We will be busy for the rest of the year. September 20th? I hope nothing changes their minds this time. Would be great if we could get the FBI files and records also.

Otherwise a local record could become an FBI record very easily.
I think all records and files should be released including the FBI ones. There should not be anything in those records that could affect national security I don't think.
I take that back. Maybe it might. But you have to expand your thinking on what that could be.
Reminds me of another investigation back in 1963-1964. Was known as the Warren Commission.
They decided then that the records would not be released for 75 years.

"Releasing the files to the public" is not a simple or easy task ... sometimes impossible ..... here is why

During the years of investigation many persons (suspects) would have been investigated , accused , poked and prodded , every stone turned over , every sin exposed .... yet in the end were not involved with the Wetterling crime.

Police cannot now make these things public without being sued into oblivion for releasing personal or sensitive information

It would require a tremendous amount of editing to tell the behind-the-scenes story of the investigation. I think the best we could hope for is a well written book from some of the original investigators ..... and keep in mind it would likely involve a ton of stuff that was done wrong by police thus we may not see a bunch of volunteers.

Finally. How many pages will there be? 57000? Wow!! We will be busy for the rest of the year. September 20th? I hope nothing changes their minds this time. Would be great if we could get the FBI files and records also.

I believe only about 20,000 pages will be released, a little more than 1/3 of the investigative file. FBI has nabbed the rest of it

Executive Order 13526
Sec 1.7
"Classification Prohibitions and Limitations. (a) In no case shall information be classified, continue to be maintained as classified, or fail to be declassified in order to:
(1) conceal violations of law, inefficiency, or administrative error;
(2) prevent embarrassment to a person, organization, or agency;
(3) restrain competition; or
(4) prevent or delay the release of information that does not require protection in the interest of the national security."

41,787 files they released. On a thumb drive? Did anyone get it?
12,545 more files are FBI .
54,332 total files.
FBI says there files are only 4,000?
Wetterlings wanted to not release 168 of their files? Or was it 20? And they were a part of what the files that are not going to be released?
I should have known that they would be pointing fingers at each other blaming each other for screwing up.
We need all the files in order to see for ourselves who dropped the ball on this case and to figure out who was really responsible for making this case go off the rails. I want names. Can we fire them or make sure that they do not work anywhere else?
This sheriff is thinking of haveing the legisature change the law to make it harder to embarrass the investigaors. No way.
I say that this is precisely why the Data Practices Act was written. To make sure that law enforment and any other people involved in a case are above suspicion and we don't end up like we did with the fictional Warren Report in 1964.

41,787 files they released. On a thumb drive? Did anyone get it?
12,545 more files are FBI .
54,332 total files.
FBI says there files are only 4,000?
Wetterlings wanted to not release 168 of their files? Or was it 20? And they were a part of what the files that are not going to be released?
I should have known that they would be pointing fingers at each other blaming each other for screwing up.
We need all the files in order to see for ourselves who dropped the ball on this case and to figure out who was really responsible for making this case go off the rails. I want names. Can we fire them or make sure that they do not work anywhere else?
This sheriff is thinking of haveing the legisature change the law to make it harder to embarrass the investigaors. No way.
I say that this is precisely why the Data Practices Act was written. To make sure that law enforment and any other people involved in a case are above suspicion and we don't end up like we did with the fictional Warren Report in 1964.

I would like to know if anyone got the released files too. How would someone go about getting them? It would be nice if they were available online.
Pointing fingers seems to be par for the course - good grief. I'm embarrassed for them.
That is exactly why that law was written.
Sorry to say, but regarding the files, I'm not so sure this is the end of it. :rolleyes:

Wow what a gong show yesterday with the sheriff and Garber and everyone pointing fingers!
I'm interested in seeing any additional evidence photos that were released. If someone finds them online, please post a link. I noticed several in the power point that I hadn't seen before.

The fallout from the press conference is fascinating. From what I understand, there was infighting between the FBI and Stearns County from day one, and to see the confrontation between Gudmundson and Garber at the presser shows that the dissension still exists. Wow. I think someone could write a book just on that angle of the case alone.

Here's what I don't get...Stearns wants to point the finger at the FBI for moving away from Heinrich, but wasn't it the FBI that zeroed in on him in 1989-90 and nearly solved the case then? Stearns is responsible for the on-foot theory that set the case back decades and ruined the reputation of an innocent man, yet they want to throw the FBI under the bus? I don't get it. I think both agencies could have handled things much better, but I think most of the fault lies with Stearns. From what I gather, it seems like the investigation wasn't going anywhere until Shane Ball and the rest of the FBI took another run at Heinrich and ulitmately solved the case.

I sure hope we get to see the FBI files at some point. It's hard to believe that after almost 30 years, there's still more questions than answers in regard to this case.

The fallout from the press conference is fascinating. From what I understand, there was infighting between the FBI and Stearns County from day one, and to see the confrontation between Gudmundson and Garber at the presser shows that the dissension still exists. Wow. I think someone could write a book just on that angle of the case alone.

Here's what I don't get...Stearns wants to point the finger at the FBI for moving away from Heinrich, but wasn't it the FBI that zeroed in on him in 1989-90 and nearly solved the case then? Stearns is responsible for the on-foot theory that set the case back decades and ruined the reputation of an innocent man, yet they want to throw the FBI under the bus? I don't get it. I think both agencies could have handled things much better, but I think most of the fault lies with Stearns. From what I gather, it seems like the investigation wasn't going anywhere until Shane Ball and the rest of the FBI took another run at Heinrich and ulitmately solved the case.

I sure hope we get to see the FBI files at some point. It's hard to believe that after almost 30 years, there's still more questions than answers in regard to this case.

And still a pissing match - unbelievable.

The only two I've come across are available in this In The Dark update, Jacob's shirt and the lineup including Henrich:

Law enforcement comes clean on botched Wetterling investigation | 'All of us failed' | APM Reports

There are some crazy details forthcoming about the investigation, like the tip from a kid in Painesville 48 hours after Jacob's abduction, and Heinrich asking Hart *the same month as Jacob disappearing* how to get rid of a body.

The picture of the red jersey damn near just broke my heart. I almost wish I didn't see it, because it makes it so real. #11

I apologize for constantly bringing up the APM Reports podcast, but I have to hand it to them for consistently staying on the story since Heinrich's confession. They've done an incredible job, in my opinion. Here is another update:

Why law enforcement didn't see that Danny Heinrich killed Jacob Wetterling | Missing a Murderer | APM Reports

It's a bit of a breakdown of the investigation with links to various documents included in the recently released investigative file. Nothing too enlightening, other than documents detailing the surveillance of Heinrich in the early months. They're an interesting read. And there's Duane Hart's reply to Heinrich's question as to how to get rid of a body. It's chilling.

There's also another update podcast: Law enforcement comes clean on botched Wetterling investigation | 'All of us failed' | APM Reports

The podcast update is definitely worth a listen, particularly hearing when Al Garber essentially grabbed the mic after Don Gudmunson's admonishment of the investigation.

Another noteworthy point is a retelling of a conversation between Heinrich and his older brother Dave, in which (amongst other things) he takes responsibility for some of the Paynesville attacks, but not all of them, and tries to pass himself off as some sort of victim in all of this, and that essentially the case would still be unsolved if it were not for him. What an eggplant.

That got me thinking about him taking some responsibility for the Paynesville attacks, particularly the hat that was left at one of the attacks that belonged to Duane Hart.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mili
Back