Rescue at sea for sick baby

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just went online to check Charlotte's blog on The Rebel Heart website-
Overwhelmed, Shocked, Saddened

She has posted about the rescue and included some photos. She did also comment about the negative comments that they received and how she is slowly deleting them. Seems she is angrier about comments made by her family -- much more than those made by strangers. In addition, they are "disabling comments for the time being."

I am a bit confused by the talk of the sexual abuse, is she saying that that had something to do with her poor decisions as a sailor? Or is that the reason she was running? Is the abuse the reason for her poor decision making as a mother? I don't understand how something that happened to her (if its true) as a child has her lashing out because she made a bad decision about taken babies on a round the world trip. Hide cake from your child, shame on you.

From what Charlotte wrote, it was a horrific situation before the rescue. It's terrible to lose your home and almost everything in it. I wouldn't want anyone to experience that, no matter what mistakes they may have made. I'm very glad they're safe. I think people did go too far in many of the comments I read, in addition to the ones she posted.

That said, I hope when things calm down, that they can assess what went wrong and learn from it. There was certainly reason for concern, just based on their blogs. I don't think any of us here could be described as "haters." Personally, I hope they can try this again someday when the kids are a little older and they are a little wiser. There's nothing wrong with raising kids on a boat with the right equipment. But if they dig their heels in, only listen to their supporters, and scorn any opportunity to grow from this, they have missed the point.

I had a mom that was ahead of the times; she didn't put us on antibiotics unless she absolutely had to because she was afraid we would build up immunity to them. I raised my son the same way. And now, look at all the superbugs that people are getting that are immune to common antibiotics! Three antibiotics each at that tender young age? Yikes!

I don't think it's the antibiotic takers who build up the immunity- it's the germs who adapt themselves and change in order to defeat the meds. So even if you toughed it out and never took antibiotics until you had no choice, it's all the other people who take them who create the problem. We all know people who dash to the doc and demand meds for every little sore throat and cold. (cough, cough, my sister-in-law).

Many of my friends and family have also expressed anger at the mean-spirited comments that have been left on our blog by complete strangers. Please, friends, do not dismay. We will slowly delete all the comments from the internet armchair quarterbacks who know nothing about us, our life, our skills, or, I might add, sailing.

No, it is not these commenters that fall under the third adjective I have picked, it is the comments from family members who have given negative interviews to the press about me and Eric. It is one thing to ignore comments from the internet at large, it is another to watch and read the interviews given to news sites by members of my estranged, nuclear family. Then again, these are the same family members who claim that my sister and I are lying about the sexual abuse we suffered from my father, who, to this day, remains an unprosecuted, unregistered sex offender. Their words show more about the content of their character than I could ever personally express to you. Thus, while I am saddened by their commentary, I am not surprised.

Oh yeah, they haven't learned a thing. Nothing is their fault, they did nothing wrong.

I don't think it's the antibiotic takers who build up the immunity- it's the germs who adapt themselves and change in order to defeat the meds. So even if you toughed it out and never took antibiotics until you had no choice, it's all the other people who take them who create the problem. We all know people who dash to the doc and demand meds for every little sore throat and cold. (cough, cough, my sister-in-law).

They create a problem for themselves; an individual person that takes antibiotics too often is a bad thing. Taking too many antibiotics can result in the development of more difficult to treat infections for that person.

In fact, there is a tendency for patients to believe that if they are ill with an "infection", an antibiotic is the solution. Well, it's not always.

In reality, inappropriately used antibiotics will do nothing except place the patient at an unnecessary risk for potential side effects. In addition, too much use of an antibiotic can cause bacteria to become increasingly antibiotic resistant. Consequently, the resistant bacteria will not respond to the antibiotic in the future when this therapy may truly be needed. Thus, antibiotics should be used sparingly and with caution in all situations. If a physician tells a person that an antibiotic is unlikely to be helpful, it is in that person's best interest to not take the antibiotic.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/h1n1_center/h1n1_center_treatment/antibiotic_overuse.html

From what Charlotte wrote, it was a horrific situation before the rescue. It's terrible to lose your home and almost everything in it. I wouldn't want anyone to experience that, no matter what mistakes they may have made. I'm very glad they're safe. I think people did go too far in many of the comments I read, in addition to the ones she posted.

That said, I hope when things calm down, that they can assess what went wrong and learn from it. There was certainly reason for concern, just based on their blogs. I don't think any of us here could be described as "haters." Personally, I hope they can try this again someday when the kids are a little older and they are a little wiser. There's nothing wrong with raising kids on a boat with the right equipment. But if they dig their heels in, only listen to their supporters, and scorn any opportunity to grow from this, they have missed the point.

Thanks just wasn't enough. You stated my thoughts perfectly. Well said!!

(And notice they still aren't actually saying what happened yet ... but at least they thanked their rescuers before going on to their "we have so much support, haters gonna hate" blah blah blah)

Oh, and Charlotte has a "Rebel Strong" avatar on her fb. So close to the Boston Marathon, this especially irks me. To me, people shouldn't co-op "Boston Strong" but that's JMO.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

I am a bit confused by the talk of the sexual abuse, is she saying that that had something to do with her poor decisions as a sailor? Or is that the reason she was running? Is the abuse the reason for her poor decision making as a mother? I don't understand how something that happened to her (if its true) as a child has her lashing out because she made a bad decision about taken babies on a round the world trip. Hide cake from your child, shame on you.

No, she is saying that the family members who are negatively critiquing her actions are the same family members who disbelieve her claims of sexual abuse and thus their comments/critiques can and should be written off as, obviously, they are people whose are against her and cannot be trusted. She is brushing off the negative comments and preferring to think that she did nothing wrong.

No, she is saying that the family members who are negatively critiquing her actions are the same family members who disbelieve her claims of sexual abuse and thus their comments/critiques can and should be written off as, obviously, they are people whose are against her and cannot be trusted. She is brushing off the negative comments and preferring to think that she did nothing wrong.

After seeing just how rough the conditions were...Im wondering if the rescue had more to do with them unable to handle rough seas like that then it had to do with a sick baby. They probably only have experience in calm conditions.

The photos I have seen of Lyra after rescue she seems in fairly good health.

Also it is infurating to see her dismiss all criticism as arm chair quarterbacking. Scary how she seems to have learned nothing. As far as her brother I have seen photos of him on her blog where she went to his house for holidays ..so were they really that estranged from her? Hmmm

It sounds as if the biggest problem may have been dehydration, just guessing. Babies are so small it does not take long for them to dehydrate once they have a fever and diarrhea. They lose those body fluids fast. It appears they left too soon after all three of them being ill in Mexico. The medic from the ship did say a couple of more days the baby would have died because she was unresponsive when they arrived. Children bounce back pretty fast but adults not so much.

Why were they living in Mexico? Was that ever revealed their blog?

I keep trying to see Charlotte as someone who could benefit from this experience and at least feel some compassion toward her. But she makes it so HARD!! This post from February 24 on FB, venting about someone who suggested that they postpone their trip until she feels better, is unbelievable. Be sure to read the comments and her replies. Yikes!

https://www.facebook.com/svrebelheart/posts/671493816240128

I looked at the actual comment on her blog, and it was one sentence and in no way unkind or provocative. Charlotte took offense and questioned why the person would leave a comment "like that" anonymously. When Charlotte posts about suicidal thoughts and depression, people are going to show their concern. Her responses were over the top. Something is really off. I hope she gets help.

http://www.therebelheart.com/charlottes-blog/2014/2/23/i-should-be-blogging-about-provisioning.html

Why were they living in Mexico? Was that ever revealed their blog?

I believe they sold everything 7 years ago and lived on the boat, Cora was born. They eventually made their way to Mexico where Lyra was born 13 months ago. They've lived on the boat or in a marina.

I'm put off by these passive aggressive posts too. They aren't doing themselves any favors at all.

The latest one on their FB page is a video with lyrics of the Malvina Reynolds song "Little Boxes", implying that people questioning the wisdom of their trip are total conformists who have never done anything interesting or original. My husband and daughter and I didn't live a conventional, suburban life and we have had lots of adventures. I don't feel superior to those who have chosen a more "normal" life. But I get a real sense of arrogance and superiority from the Kaufman's and their most vocal supporters. They really do need a better PR advisor, or quit posting and eventually the criticism will die down.

The criticism is not about their chosen lifestyle. It's about the unwise choices they made in its pursuit that endangered their children, themselves and their rescuers.

BBM. Oh that is rich! I wonder if she really feels that way or is just parroting what Eric has drummed in her head.

Well i do criticize their trip and for good reason. They were ill prepared, arrogant, endangered children, cost taxpayers over a half a million to rescue them, endangered the rescue crew, etc ( I think you get the gist of where I am coming from.)

I criticize it and i am far from a "total conformist". Hubby and I have a rather unconventional (simple, rural, self sufficient, etc). Our life is not about wild destinations or thrilling adventures. We may not have an exciting life worthy of a blog.

Oh but our life is far from dull and that's because hubby and I are first-responders (he being a former *advertiser censored*'t fire chief with decades of service). We have exciting adventures from dealing with accidents and such caused by people with minds like Eric and Charlotte (as well as many by "total conformist who follow the rules and simply have an accident or meet with fools who like to live dangerously and don't care who they endanger.)

Our "interesting or original" adventures are things like doing hurricane relief things such as delivering fuel to shelters in the midst of the hurricane, sheltering where the storm is hitting so that we will be there to render aid during and after the storm, dealing with the unpredictability of the storm and what it will cause. Hubby even did boat rescues for weeks after Katrina, rescuing people in his own boat, own equipment and fuel. We have deal with fires, bridge jumpers, vehicle accidents, boat accidents, etc.

So Charlotte comes off as arrogant with her little dig at "total conformists". Cuz guess what, she should be THANKING the "total conformists" tax money that funded that $600,000+ rescue.

She should be thankful that people dedicate their lives to serving and helping (rather than selfishly doing their own ignorant and arrogant adventures, endangering innocent children) that made it possible for this foolish couple to be alive and be able to still be spouting their nonsense.

I bet it was those boring "total conformists" who tended and treated her child in the hospital.

Yep, it was probably even those danged conformist who donated money from their conforming (but compassionate) hearts. I surely doubt it was those with "rebel hearts" who gave heard earned money to help these two. Cuz a lot of those "rebel hearts" only care about themselves (like Charlotte who lied to her child rather than share a bit of cake with her).

Shaking my head!!

I believe they sold everything 7 years ago and lived on the boat, Cora was born. They eventually made their way to Mexico where Lyra was born 13 months ago. They've lived on the boat or in a marina.

They had an apt in 2013. link upthread

They had an apt in 2013. link upthread

Yes, they rented a small apartment for 6 weeks in Mexico, about 1/2 mile from where the Rebel Heart was anchored.

This apartment was the respite I needed after too much time spent baking in the Baja sun. But after six weeks, I miss our boat; I miss our home.

Our time here has coincided perfectly with Lyra learning how to sit unassisted and to roll and move her body more. It has been so nice to place her on big, open, cushy expanses and know that if she fell over, she wouldn't hit her head or face. The space has been a blessing. Instead of having to step over a baby learning how to move (imagine telling your three year old to be careful around her sister every three minutes on a boat), we have been able to let Lyra roll and kick and explore at will.

http://www.therebelheart.com/charlottes-blog/2013/10/1/adios-apartamento.html

Yes, they rented a small apartment for 6 weeks in Mexico, about 1/2 mile from where the Rebel Heart was anchored.

http://www.therebelheart.com/charlottes-blog/2013/10/1/adios-apartamento.html

That was yet another time: ( thanks, missed that one) They also were in an apt in Feb 2013. Point being, they were not living on the boat continually for 7 years. They lived on land in SD before Mexico too :)

The biggest thing I'm doing to encourage labor is walking. See that pink arrow? It is pointing to the building where we are staying this month in La Cruz. From the marina to the building it is just over a half mile walk.

http://www.therebelheart.com/charlottes-blog/2013/2/10/149-steps-to-inducing-labor.html

That was yet another time: ( thanks, missed that one) They also were in an apt in Feb 2013. Point being, they were not living on the boat continually for 7 years. They lived on land in SD before Mexico too :)

The biggest thing I'm doing to encourage labor is walking. See that pink arrow? It is pointing to the building where we are staying this month in La Cruz. From the marina to the building it is just over a half mile walk.

http://www.therebelheart.com/charlottes-blog/2013/2/10/149-steps-to-inducing-labor.html

I haven't read everything in their blog but did read some more and it appears that during the intense summer heat in Mexico, they'll rent an apartment for a little over a month and do some restoration to the boat that they can't do while living in it.

So these people live their lives to have these adventures, and then a large amount of money had to be spend to rescue them from one of these adventures.
And nobody is even asking them to pay it back.
Obviously some of us have to have boring lives so we can pay taxes.
Cause adventurous ones might need saving.

I believe the rescue team has already stated that this is part of their job. Regardless of the cost it is why they, in part, exist to protect our coast lines and those who get into trouble on the high seas. They train for this and it was a good opportunity to put those training skills to work. No one likes to see someone get into trouble on the water no matter what the reasoning is for the event.

I do think Eric made the right choice by sinking the boat. He could have tried to get the boat back on his own but he chose to stay with his family so I have to give him credit for doing that. For the most part I do think they realize how fast things can turn from bad to worse with a small child in such a short time. An expensive lesson to be learned but thankfully it was not tragic due to the help provided by the California National Guard.

This family lost everything they worked for during the past 7 years. That is a pretty significant lesson to learn. jmo

In her latest blog, she says the Rebel Heart will be back. Was the boat insured? Will they take this money, buy another boat, and be back on the seas?

No lesson learned! JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back