Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 1/15 thru 1/20 Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, "let's look at some facts" is followed by facts which you personally value. Others may not value those facts at all, may value them in part, or place a far greater value on altogether different facts. Whatever the case, ultimately everyone's opinion is informed by a different basket of facts and as such, can't be judged according to what one's chosen to put in one's own basket, and certainly not without examining everything that's in theirs.

I don't hold some facts to be more valuable than other facts. I put all facts in the same bucket. They are what they are. When someone says Arias will kill someone inside prison because that's who she is, I look at what's occurred in the years she's been incarcerated. No one has been killed. That's a fact, not an opinion. Someone may think they know what the future holds and claim they know what Arias will do in the future, but they don't. None of us do. I'm interested in proof and facts and I do hold those as more valuable than speculation and opinions. It's proof and facts and evidence that are the gold standard in cases and it's what gets killers convicted, thus it's what I look at.

Can you point me to links for Dr. De Marte's testimony during the Marissa Devaul trial? I've been searching in vain! TIA

Here's one:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/2...ist-diagnoses-marissa-devault-as-a-psychopath
But on Monday, DeMarte disputed Devault's story, saying her jailhouse phone calls tell a different story.

"There was a lack of remorse. There was a time when she was talking about the murder of Mr. Harrell and laughing about it," said DeMarte.

DeMarte also says on those jail calls, Devault didn't show remorse for her husband's family.

"His family was wanting his remains and Ms. Devault said she refuses to release the remains unless they drop the lawsuit, which is again manipulative and also shows a lack of remorse for the family."

DeMarte diagnosed Devault with antisocial personality disorder. She questions why Devault would ask her mother and stepfather to take custody of her daughters if she was really physically abused by her mom and sexually abused by her step dad when she was a kid.

"Ms. Devault had reported that her mother was quite abusive toward her and so was her stepfather and in jail phone calls, I heard conversations where she was asking her parents to take custody of her children.. guardianship of her children."

I think so too. Her mom told Flores that LE had called Jodi at her job the day prior and it scared her Plus why wait 6 weeks after killing Travis to kill the Hughes, MiMi, Lisa etc? Was she going to drive another 1,000 miles back to do this when everyone was already looking at her? If she was inclined to do that seems she would have done ASAP after her killing Travis.
It does make sense that she knew her arrest was coming and like Scott Peterson she loaded up a car and headed for the border. Not saying it was a good plan but she was desperate and scared of being arrested

When did she buy this .9mm gun? Doesn't it take at least a couple of weeks for the license to be approved and you can't buy one legit without a license, correct? As to whether she was making a run for it or to go after others, I think she was trying to figure out who was her biggest threat first. She had stopped TA from letting the cat out of the bag... was anyone else a threat to her "life"?

As for her being on the run when arrested, I'm pretty sure she thought she had it all under control, a few cutesy calls to the cops offering her expertise with how to retrieve data from a camera, telling them she had been basically living at TA's house so they would just ignore all her dna..., then she finds out that TA's friends were naming her as a prime suspect and dang it all, now the cops seem to have figured out the deal with grandpa's gun. At that point, sure cover your tracks by pretending to return boxes of books to old bf's that would never betray you... what do you have to lose if the gig is already up and you figure no jury would ever convict you anyway?

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1301/22/ng.01.html
"JEAN CASAREZ, "IN SESSION" (via telephone): Nancy, we`re learning some absolutely amazing things from a police incident report that we have just gotten hold of. On July 14th, when Mesa police detectives went to Yreka to arrest Jodi Arias, they found her at her grandparents` house.

They visually surveilled her from outside, and they could see inside that she was packing boxes and packing suitcases. They believed she was going to flee. They stayed there watching her. In time (ph) of that night, of July 14th, a car pulled up. She came outside to talk to a female person in the driver`s seat. They believe that was her mother. It was a lengthy conversation. It ended with Jodi going back into her grandparents` house, her mother driving off.

The next day, they found a brand-new shiny rental car outside of the grandparents` house. They subsequently arrested Jodi, executed a search warrant, and found in that rental car boxes of books of Jodi Arias`s. Intermingled amongst the books were two knives. In her suitcase was a box of .9-millimeter bullets, no gun.

Less than a month later, her mother was inquiring where the gun was that Jodi had hidden in the rental car. They traced the rental car at that point to San Francisco, California, and they found hidden in that car a .9- millimeter gun."
-------
"DARRYL COHEN, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Nancy, I feel like I`ve been set up, but of course, that`s on the run. But she waited 10 days. She wasn`t fleeing. She had her books. She didn`t have her clothing. She was waiting. She had a rental car. She was leaving. That`s not the same.

GRACE: I`m so glad she remembered to pack her knives and her .9- millimeter, along with her books. Good point!"
------
"CASAREZ: This is July 14th, the day before she`s arrested. Mesa police arrived in Yreka, California. They are able to locate Jodi inside her grandparents` home. Visually, they can stand outside, surveil her and see that she is packing boxes.

They were concerned she was going to flee, so they stayed outside the home. The next day, a rental car was loaded with boxes and at least one suitcase of Jodi Arias. They arrest Jodi. They immediately execute search warrants at the grandparents` home, the parents` home, and that car.

Inside the car, in her boxes were many books, and amongst the books, two knives. In her suitcase, a .9-millimeter box of bullets.

And one more thing, Nancy. When they executed the search warrant in her bedroom of her grandparents` house, they found evidence that she had purchased a .9-millimeter gun."

She bought the gun July 1, 2008. 10 day wait. $25 registration fee. She was arrested July 15.
IMO the greatest threat to her life was the State of Arizona!

Not saying she wanted protection right away or a gun that was easily accessible. Again, she was trying to hide it so she could get it to Mexico (or Canada). I don't think it had to do with being caught with the same type of weapons. Most peolple CA own knives and guns are not illegal. And after she was arrested one of the first things she told Flores was she just bought a gun.

It just doesn't make sense. She knows they're on to her so she starts planing more murders? If all she cared about that point was getting to her next kill then why hide them? So the police wouldn't find them? Well if the police have her then they're gonna find the knives and she told them about the gun. Don't see it. She was on the run.

When Scott Peterson was arrested they found a map of Amber's workplace that was printed the previous day. It's possible that Arias had a plan to get rid of the Hughes. I think we're baffled because, I mean, who carries knives after committing a gory murder? Knives! Some PTSD, huh? :thinking:

She had a permit for the gun. She could have chosen any weapons but she chose the exact same combination of tool types - knives and a gun- that had served her in slaughtering Travis. She was worried that she may be stopped so took the precaution of hiding weapon types associated with a murder she was a suspect in. She already owned a stun gun, according to her journals.

I'm not dismissng the running away theories. I feel that she was so enraged at the (imagined) injustices the Hughes had inflicted on her that she would have wanted revenge on the way out. She was arrested before any of our theories could be tested.

I just came across a few articles on knives + PTSD.

1. "After her husband's murder, the former nursery worker could not bring herself to use knives - even cutlery knives"
There are a few such examples provided in the article.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-22966016

2. "Physical Artifacts: These are tangible items which are associated with traumatic events. If my trauma is associated with knives, then seeing a knife, or a particular type of knife, may trigger my PTSD."

http://drzemler.hubpages.com/hub/What-Are-PTSD-Triggers

Interesting, Rose that psychopath Arias couldn't wait to get hold of the same combination of weapons which were used in the slaughter of Travis. No sign of PTSD there.

She has displayed absolutely no genuine signs of trauma. Chillingly, she wanted to see the photos. Even when faking tears in court, she managed to leave a gap in the hand covering her face to peep at evidence. She creeps me out.

When did she buy this .9mm gun? Doesn't it take at least a couple of weeks for the license to be approved and you can't buy one legit without a license, correct? As to whether she was making a run for it or to go after others, I think she was trying to figure out who was her biggest threat first. She had stopped TA from letting the cat out of the bag... was anyone else a threat to her "life"?

As for her being on the run when arrested, I'm pretty sure she thought she had it all under control, a few cutesy calls to the cops offering her expertise with how to retrieve data from a camera, telling them she had been basically living at TA's house so they would just ignore all her dna..., then she finds out that TA's friends were naming her as a prime suspect and dang it all, now the cops seem to have figured out the deal with grandpa's gun. At that point, sure cover your tracks by pretending to return boxes of books to old bf's that would never betray you... what do you have to lose if the gig is already up and you figure no jury would ever convict you anyway?

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1301/22/ng.01.html
(snipped the transcript part for space)

Something I've never quite figured out is that it seems neither JA nor her family are exactly loaded with money, yet with JA there's always rental cars, going on trips, spending money at Starbucks, buying guns, etc. Oh and "loaning" money to Travis since he was penniless. (Yeah right.) Where does all this money come from? She never had much of any income to speak of as far as I can tell. Look at the conditions she was living in with her grandparents - it looked like a small room for a 10yo boy.

I think there was some info from her bank records in the original trial - maybe related to debit card usage; I don't recall. Are her parents richer than I realize? If not, was she getting all her money from sponging off one guy after another? Jeez - seems like it would have been several guys given her spending habits.

Interesting, Rose that psychopath Arias couldn't wait to get hold of the same combination of weapons which were used in the slaughter of Travis. No sign of PTSD there.

She has displayed absolutely no genuine signs of trauma. Chillingly, she wanted to see the photos. Even when faking tears in court, she managed to leave a gap in the hand covering her face to peep at evidence. She creeps me out.

Also after the memorial Jodi asked a friend to take her to Travis' house to see it. If she had PTSD, she would never be able to go near his house, the location of the "triggering event." She would have a been a mess and start having flashbacks.

Geffner back tomorrow.... How much more can the jury take of him? Three court days this week. I am hoping we get solid testimony and minimal BS. Waiting for Nurmi to file another frivolous motion Tuesday morning. We are almost at the guilt phase in length for goodness sake.

So, JA wanted to make a run for it and get her parents help so she LIED AGAIN. Really? She told them that someone from LE had called her work the day before to talk about her grandparents burglary? BULLCHIT! LE would not be watching her on one hand while another group of LE called her work, unless they wanted to make her try to make a run for it!
Personally, I think she was just lying to her parents again to get them to rent the car for her. She even told them she would not be seeing them for a while. Two stories? I was going camping with a bunch of men I barely knew so I packed protection? Oh wait, no! I was going to take personnel items back to my old boyfriends? LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!

I concur with this statement from Chris Hughes and I post it every chance I get. "Some people deserve the death penalty and Jodi Arias is one of them. This family is VERY united. They want her to get the death penalty. Absolutely."
http://t.co/IBpiJZPs13

I think her planning the murder and how much he must have suffered means she deserves it. I just have come to accept that she may not get it and I don't want to look upon that result as we lost. She is going to be in isolation for five years or so in the beginning of her life term regardless. She will be living in hell then and go crazy alone with her thoughts maybe even try to take her own life. PRISON is going to be utter hell compared to how she has lived in at the county jail.

We won, if one wants to think of that way, the day the jury came back with agreement she premeditated this, it was especially cruel, MURDER ONE conviction. That is perpetual. She WILL never walk free again.

relief from verdict-photos-jodi-arias-trial-pg-009.jpg

His fist raised up to God in victory, justice has been served for his dear friend, the look on Dave Hall's face was utter relief after five long years of waiting to hear "We didn't believe her". "Guilty. Murder One".
dave.jpg

The family reacts to hearing "GUILTY" http://youtu.be/UiXwKEnqxDc

Everyone laughed at her utter delusions of her political platform as if she were running for student counsel starting programs in prison, taking over the education in prison, imagining her programs being so successful they would create jobs ....... just overhauling the entire prison system in America.

It is a grandiosity of a true psychopath, someone who would...I don't know.....write a manifesto.

Here is the truth of what life will really be like for Jodi Arias by Dr. Lillian Glass

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=Pp-x-B7MZ4IAK0JUy8Z45g&bvm=bv.83829542,d.aWw

Here is the ABC interview with Ryan Owen, the reporter who asked her "NO ONE believes a single word out of your mouth. Why don't you just stop talking?"
He also asked her, "Regarding wigs , can't you grow out your hair and donate it from death row?

http://youtu.be/-gjmW7s4veM

Jodi Arias admitted "It was a defense decision" not to call mitigation witnesses. Her mom had written out a letter to read and her dad was fired up, wanted to speak. So we know they cannot be one of the phantom 14 witnesses too frightened to take the stand Nurmi tells the court.

A defense decision, indeed.

Here is the link to the former Deputy Warden’s analysis of what life will be like for Jodi Arias.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJTBLd-72fg

Travis, we won. 1132073.jpg

They visually surveilled her from outside, and they could see inside that she was packing boxes and packing suitcases. They believed she was going to flee. They stayed there watching her. In time (ph) of that night, of July 14th, a car pulled up. She came outside to talk to a female person in the driver`s seat. They believe that was her mother. It was a lengthy conversation. It ended with Jodi going back into her grandparents` house, her mother driving off.

-------
"CASAREZ: This is July 14th, the day before she`s arrested. Mesa police arrived in Yreka, California. They are able to locate Jodi inside her grandparents` home. Visually, they can stand outside, surveil her and see that she is packing boxes.

[/I][/SIZE]

Way to go, Einstein. Leave the blinds open while you're packing boxes and suitcases after you murdered someone.

When Scott Peterson was arrested they found a map of Amber's workplace that was printed the previous day. It's possible that Arias had a plan to get rid of the Hughes. I think we're baffled because, I mean, who carries knives after committing a gory murder? Knives! Some PTSD, huh? :thinking:

Good point about the PTSD. Maybe Demarte can bring that up.

Geffner back tomorrow.... How much more can the jury take of him? Three court days this week. I am hoping we get solid testimony and minimal BS. Waiting for Nurmi to file another frivolous motion Tuesday morning. We are almost at the guilt phase in length for goodness sake.

Jeez the jury got four full days of him to end the year. They will not be happy to see him again, especially if KN or JW (whichever it was) wants to keep going on direct. They might wake up again once Juan gets a chance to light into him though.

Something I've never quite figured out is that it seems neither JA nor her family are exactly loaded with money, yet with JA there's always rental cars, going on trips, spending money at Starbucks, buying guns, etc. Oh and "loaning" money to Travis since he was penniless. (Yeah right.) Where does all this money come from? She never had much of any income to speak of as far as I can tell. Look at the conditions she was living in with her grandparents - it looked like a small room for a 10yo boy.

I think there was some info from her bank records in the original trial - maybe related to debit card usage; I don't recall. Are her parents richer than I realize? If not, was she getting all her money from sponging off one guy after another? Jeez - seems like it would have been several guys given her spending habits.

I've always wondered about that, too. Maybe she was running up a credit card that she only paid a few dollars on every month. But I also wonder who would issue her a credit card with her sketchy work history and low income. Maybe Mommy and Daddy were giving her money and enabling her failure to launch.

Here is another thing I have thought about that makes JA even more EVIL to the bone. She knew that TA was thinking more seriously about finding a wife, by reading his last blog entry. She probably even realized that TA had most likely already gone to his Bishop to confess his sins regarding the law of chastity.

She knew that TA, or almost any man that young would/could not say "nay" to sex when they are in the heat of the moment. This was more than likely part of her evil premeditated plan. Knowing how much TA thrived to be a good Morman, she wanted to make sure he could never ever receive forgiveness from his Bishop. I also think she reminded him of this verbally with every single stab. JMO

With all due respect, "let's look at some facts" is followed by facts which you personally value. Others may not value those facts at all, may value them in part, or place a far greater value on altogether different facts. Whatever the case, ultimately everyone's opinion is informed by a different basket of facts and as such, can't be judged according to what one's chosen to put in one's own basket, and certainly not without examining everything that's in theirs.

I agree. Thank you. Someone is missing these critical points:
1)None of us has all the facts, and many of us have used critical thinking skills to sort out relevant from irrelevant facts, while being open to the idea that some facts deemed not important can suddenly become crucial.
2) Selectivity is a form of bias; analysis on the basis of a biased set of data is not at all reliable, especially if the analyzer doesn't want to consider counter-arguments.
3) Implying that someone on Websleuths is not "doing their homework correctly" is a non-starter, IMO. Most everyone here makes points that are supported by examples; we make them in good faith and we are intelligent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member