Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 11/14/14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gwen...I think you're right about one reason JM hasn't called on the Hughes. I had forgotten.

Chris Hughes posted on FB, Feb 13, 2013 defending Sky, basically. Nurmi had lied to her. Told her he has irrefutable proof that the pedo letters weren't forged. She believed him and said something to Nurmi that JM would NOT want her to have to clean up on the stand. Not worth it at all!

So I am watching these hearings, refreshing my memory. Seems Juan never intended to call the Hughes' even before this hearing. So I'm still baffled as to why he won't call them.

Gwen...I think you're right about one reason JM hasn't called on the Hughes. I had forgotten.

Chris Hughes posted on FB, Feb 13, 2013 defending Sky, basically. Nurmi had lied to her. Told her he has irrefutable proof that the pedo letters weren't forged. She believed him and said something to Nurmi that JM would NOT want her to have to clean up on the stand. Not worth it at all!

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

So I am watching these hearings, refreshing my memory. Seems Juan never intended to call the Hughes' even before this hearing. So I'm still baffled as to why he won't call them.

I wonder too. But I know Juan is brilliant so he must have a very good reason. Must be something there that we don't know about, a letter, an email, something that the judge maybe wouldn't allow in?

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

Pretty sad though. I still think they were very judgmental of their friend. But I have children too and if an attorney told me he had irrefutable proof of pedophilia I would be scared. I do remember that when Nurmi told her that, she turned around and sent an email to another friend harshly attacking Travis. I am thinking his family may not be happy either with all that the Hughes said and did....even with the best of intentions. Maybe that is why they wrote their book, as a way of apology to Travis.
Jodi has really hurt many people with all her lies. And it is still going on.

I don't think that JM needs to call the Hughes because so far, nothing that has been 'revealed' by this line of witness testimony has been damaging. Big freakin deal, Travis 'dated 2 girls at once, hurt their feelings.' I am pretty sure all of the jurors dated in their 20's and have little problem with this 'bad behavior.' It is common and something we all live through and move on. I think JM has more fertile ground to pursue than this hogwash.

Personally, I don't want Juan to go down the email trail, taking the jurors even further away from the heinous murder, the premeditation, and the consciousness of guilt. I would like him to deal with it by asking Dr. F. where and when she got her PhD.; her certification as a Sexpert; and her certification as a mind reader. I believe he can deal with her very quickly, and get the jurors back to focus on the real issues.

Excellent post. And trust us, all any of us have been doing during this sentencing phase is scratching our heads. I do hope JM will bring out all the contradictions. The truth is really quite simple. Jodi is a cold blooded murderer and was on her way to becoming a serial killer.

ETA: I will never understand the judge allowing all this to go on with all the contradictions. She has seen it all and yet allowed it to continue. Scratching my head and pulling my hair out!

If it makes you feel any better, JSS has absolutely no authority to stop a witness from testifying just because they're contradicting themselves. And believe me, JM would be ticked off if she tried. :)

I don't think that JM needs to call the Hughes because so far, nothing that has been 'revealed' by this line of witness testimony has been damaging. Big freakin deal, Travis 'dated 2 girls at once, hurt their feelings.' I am pretty sure all of the jurors dated in their 20's and have little problem with this 'bad behavior.' It is common and something we all live through and move on. I think JM has more fertile ground to pursue than this hogwash.

This is a good point. Calling a witness to talk about one topic only sends a strong message to the jury that the topic is important. These emails are not important, so JM might not want to give the subject any more "airtime" with the jury than appropriate. It's the "who cares" strategy. :)

Pretty sad though. I still think they were very judgmental of their friend. But I have children too and if an attorney told me he had irrefutable proof of pedophilia I would be scared. I do remember that when Nurmi told her that, she turned around and sent an email to another friend harshly attacking Travis. I am thinking his family may not be happy either with all that the Hughes said and did....even with the best of intentions. Maybe that is why they wrote their book, as a way of apology to Travis.
Jodi has really hurt many people with all her lies. And it is still going on.

Nurmi knew the letters were forged. He lied to her. Why? I bet he had a sense that she might bite. And once she did, he had achieved his purpose of ensuring she wouldnt testify.

It seemed obvious when he had Dr. F drone on for 2 days about those emails that he knew the Hughes wouldn't be rebutting. He's a snake, but Sky made it possible.

Trying not to be judgemental, but if anyone --including an attorney-- called my best friend a pedophile I would be outraged, not believing.

I believe they were not called because they would have nothing to add but confusion. The State charged Jodi with premeditated/felony murder. That is all they had to present. Then the defense threw all of the personal stuff. None of the Lisa, Dessira, or Dan testimony really had to do with the self defense it was for how TA treated Jodi. The state called the one rebuttal witness that was closest to TA which was Deanna and we saw how she was treated by the Defense.

My favorite movie is "Somethings Gotta Give" with Jack N and Diane K.... Well here was a 62 years old with how many black/red books? a whole drawer full! He never committed..until the end. So what if Travis did the same thing, he was still quite young. I think all this BS shows how much a human being TA was with all his flaws and how he was wanting to be better.

If it makes you feel any better, JSS has absolutely no authority to stop a witness from testifying just because they're contradicting themselves. And believe me, JM would be ticked off if she tried. :)

This is a good point. Calling a witness to talk about one topic only sends a strong message to the jury that the topic is important. These emails are not important, so JM might not want to give the subject any more "airtime" with the jury than appropriate. It's the "who cares" strategy. :)

BBM - Then again, if Juan can - in a short amount of time - convince jurors that anything that comes from JA's side of the room is a lie, that would be a good thing.

I am going to ask Beth was JM is looking like in court. Does he look like he is ready to do a smack down? Is he writing down any notes?

Oh I am sure Juan will review Dr Fonseca's CV. I don't even understand why she was called. Her specialty is unusual sexual practices and the psychological make up of those individuals. I haven't seen the relevance of her testimony. To me she could have been describing anyone in their 20's or 30's. It was the age of sexual awakening for alot of us. I can speak for myself here, but that was the age of '"fooling around" before settling down and finding "the one" for me. I think Travis was late to the game and absolutely overwhelmed with a nymphomaniac that was the murderess. He knew all these nice girls with intact morals like Lisa & Mimi and then unfortunately met this "sex kitten" with much more experience & willing to do all these things with him.
Just think of how many lives the killer has ruined - the Hughes, Lisa (slashed tires, anonymous hate mail) & Deanna too, who had to admit on the witness stand that she and Travis had made love, and I say this because I think Deanna & Travis were soul mates but marriage was just not in the cards for them. I think Deanna is married now, not sure, but she still has Napoleon, that shows how close they were.
I respect psychologists, but this testimony of Dr Fonseca's is just psychobabble to me - just like ALV & Dr Samuels. Dr Demarte spoke like a real clinician, she cited real diagnoses with plenty of relevant examples to make it easier for a jury to understand & correlate the killer's behavior to the diagnosis. I hope she comes back to help Juan.

Thank you for this great post. If Dr. F believes what Travis did falls into her field of study, then she's in the wrong field, imo.

I still say her testimony would be completely different if she were testifying for a person charged with a sex crime. I'm guessing suddenly she'd get a whole lot more tolerant in her sexual views. just sayin'

Nurmi knew the letters were forged. He lied to her. Why? I bet he had a sense that she might bite. And once she did, he had achieved his purpose of ensuring she wouldnt testify.

It seemed obvious when he had Dr. F drone on for 2 days about those emails that he knew the Hughes wouldn't be rebutting. He's a snake, but Sky made it possible.

Trying not to be judgemental, but if anyone --including especially a defense attorney for the woman you thought was crazy and didn't want around your children-- called my best friend a pedophile I would be outraged, not believing.

I'd be in shock. I might be in doubt. But I wouldn't immediately assume the worse and talk badly about my dead friend to someone else.
I'm probably being hard on them. I don't know exactly what I would do but I just have this gut feeling...
Anyways if the book is just an apology, they can gift it for free to anyone who's interested.

I understand the who cares strategy, but don't think that's why. The jurors have been given precious little info about Travis. It's powerful stuff, taken out of context as it has been,to hear that supposedly close friends called him abusive.

The best erasure of that false impression would be to have the writers look at the jury and explain. I really imagine JM would prefer it if a Hughes could.

Did Defense Expert Damage Travis Alexander’s Computer Hard Drive?

November 14, 2014 by The Trial Diaries

In a new motion filed by Juan Martinez, it states that the “defense expert damaged the computer during his last examination preventing the State from making a mirror image of the hard drive.” The State is requesting a copy of the mirror image to examine the defendant’s claims made in that salacious motion handed in by defense over the weekend. Take a look, read, and see what you think……The Trial Diaries

http://thetrialdiaries.com/did-defense-expert-damage-travis-alexanders-computer-hard-drive/

Thank you for this great post. If Dr. F believes what Travis did falls into her field of study, then she's in the wrong field, imo.

I still say her testimony would be completely different if she were testifying for a person charged with a sex crime. I'm guessing suddenly she'd get a whole lot more tolerant in her sexual views. just sayin'

Absolutely, and does anyone think Nurmi would, in his own field of practice, tolerate for one second his client being accused of a sex crime based on a recorded phone call, texts or emails?

Again, I think a great strategy on cross would be to show this email to Dr. F and have her agonizingly read through it line by line and mind-read about JA's intentions and how this email shows JA's appeasement of Travis's unreasonable behavior, etc. etc.:

"Hey You…
I haven’t heard back from you. I hope you’re not still upset that I didn’t come to see you, I just didn’t have enough time off. It’s ok, sweetie, you’re going to be here in less than two weeks – we’re going to see the sights, check things off “The List,” and all kinds of fun things. Oregon is BEAUTIFUL this time of the year. Yaaay!..... be happy!
Anyway I wanted to let you know that I’m thinking about pushing my visit up to next week, but it depends on my budget, so I’m not for sure yet. I know you’ll be in Cancun, but I’ll probably crash at your house in your cozy bed anyway… eat some of your oatmeal and frozen dinners you know, the usual – jk I know you said the door is always open, but I wanted to give you a heads up. If for any reason that won’t work, let me know and I’ll make arrangements. Your house has always been my second home, although it’s a bit more lonely without Naps around. You’re probably in California right now, but wherever you are, get a hold of me, at least before you get to Mexico.
Thanks hon, -Jodi "

and then spring it on her that it was written after Jodi had KILLED Travis and therefore maybe, just maybe, this practice of email analysis with no context is risky business.

I'd be willing to bet the defense hasn't shown the email to Dr. F--it isn't relevant to their theme. And if they have, JM could still make a big deal out of the fact that Dr. F wants to consider the context for THIS email but doesn't seem to care about that for any other email.

I totally agree NB, but Jodi is not sorry. I think she is actually enjoying all this attention. This is the first time in her pathetic life that she has EVER had friends (cray cray supporters) and MONEY, and people buying her art. Her glasses were auctioned off as "a piece of history" cough cough... She's done interviews, been on television!!!!! She thinks she is a star. She is dragging this out as long as she can because in her mind she is famous.

To her, it's not about TA or his family. She has no remorse at all. It's all about her and her adoring fans. She's a sociopath, and she is in her element.

She will forever see herself as the beautiful princess locked away in a dungeon by the evil wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech