Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 11/3/14 Hearing

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, JA had fired one or more attorneys previously. Plus the 2 (?) times she has represented herself. I don't believe a defendant with a public defender has unlimited choices about representation. In addition, IRC, a while back she wrote to the court asking for KN not to be taken off her case when it seemed likely he would be. All this to-do from JA about representation could be seen as just one more manipulation.
To put it into perspective, the number of times that Jodi and Nurmi have 'broken up' and got back together has now surpassed the number of times she and Travis broke up and got back together. :facepalm:

My understanding is if this phase gets a mistrial, then it goes to the judge to decide.

Correct. If a mistrial is caused by something the State did or a hung jury. What isn't certain is if that also includes a mistrial due to the loss of too many jurors.

I think if there's another mistrial the state will just drop the DP for the good of the taxpayers and family, who really need to get on with their lives. Surely they wouldn't push for the DP and yet another trial? Regardless, I think it's up to the state, if they still want DP everyone goes again. I THINK!

AZLawyer has said it depends on the reason for the mistrial. If it's a hung jury, that's it. If there's some other reason, it would depend.

I think the family will keep pushing until they can't anymore. I understand that even if others don't. Jodi already thinks she won by killing Travis. And waiting the family out will be seen as another victory for her. They're there to show her she can't beat them down. Good for them.

To put it into perspective, the number of times that Jodi and Nurmi have 'broken up' and got back together has now surpassed the number of times she and Travis broke up and got back together. :facepalm:

Or Ridge / Brooke / Thorne .. their father .. etc .. it really has been an epic tale!

I don't think anyone is going to come forward for her. I don't envy him trying to find some. If he gets a little extra time to search for just one that doesn't bother me. What I don't get is why her parents won't get up for her. What kind of parents are these people?! Or maybe they are using that to get people to feel bad for her..

Maybe they are the type of parents who aren't Cindy Anthony and won't lie for her. There may be things her parents won't lie about or maybe the defense wants Jodi to appear all alone.

Try Wednesday (not Monday). The judge gave the defense all the way till next Wednesday for some reason.

November 10th and 11th had been scheduled off from the beginning so no need for anyone to be miffed with that (or any more than usual with slower-than-dog-poo Arizona court scheduling), why JSS didn't insist on some witnesses the remainder of this week is aggravating as all heck though.

Isn't there something called a subpoena that defense could request and JSS could issue if a witness refuses to voluntarily testify?

Maybe they are the type of parents who aren't Cindy Anthony and won't lie for her. There may be things her parents won't lie about or maybe the defense wants Jodi to appear all alone.

Nah, I don't think that is it. They are all over the internet raising money for her and making sure people don't give to the wrong site. I think it could be that they think it looks better for her to have no one???

My understanding is if this phase gets a mistrial, then it goes to the judge to decide.

Thanks, that is what I thought, so really all this bull the DT is doing is so we can have the courts spend money and time on setting presidents for what is already in our constitution as the the right to a fair trial and the right to free speech. I am glad I am not a lawyer, as I would be enraged at the way this trial is being tried, and wonder what is happening to my profession all the way around. I do believe JM is one of the few in this trial which is doing justice to our justice system... Ok my rant is done, back to lurking and learning.

I don't get why JSS has given a week to get the next witness up. For goodness sake, if Nurmi and Wilmott cannot get another witness in, then tough. They should be ready. I wish this trial had a judge that would run this show properly, and tell Nurmi that this is not some endless cash cow for him to milk. It's ludicroud that the motion to close the court was ever granted, you can't trump the first amendment, I know that and I'm not even American. This must be torture for Travis' family. Hold on guys, the end is getting nearer.

If "winning" means killing someone in cold blood and ending up convicted for first degree murder, with a stay in state prison for life, then yeah, Arias certainly hit the jackpot there. She may also earn a spot on death row.

If "winning" means killing someone in cold blood and ending up convicted for first degree murder, with a stay in state prison for life, then yeah, Arias certainly hit the jackpot there. She may also earn a spot on death row.

Yes, anyone with a normal brain would not consider that a win. But sociopaths don't think like that. A win is a win, even if it isn't.

I don't get why JSS has given a week to get the next witness up. For goodness sake, if Nurmi and Wilmott cannot get another witness in, then tough. They should be ready. I wish this trial had a judge that would run this show properly, and tell Nurmi that this is not some endless cash cow for him to milk. It's ludicroud that the motion to close the court was ever granted, you can't trump the first amendment, I know that and I'm not even American. This must be torture for Travis' family. Hold on guys, the end is getting nearer.

Someone has already posted that Mon and tues of next week were already off the docket. So it is just wed thur and fri of this week.

Yes, anyone with a normal brain would not consider that a win. But sociopaths don't think like that. A win is a win, even if it isn't.

Doesn't bother me a bit and I hope no one else spends time worrying about the disordered thinking of the murderess. Ask her in 15 years if it was worth it. She's all flush with the attention of the case still being active, but by then she'll be just another inmate sitting in a cell.

Doesn't bother me a bit and I hope no one else spends time worrying about the disordered thinking of the murderess. Ask her in 15 years if it was worth it. She's all flush with the attention of the case still being active, but by then she'll be just another inmate sitting in a cell.

It doesn't bother me one bit either. That wasn't at all the reason for what I said.

I don't think anyone is going to come forward for her. I don't envy him trying to find some. If he gets a little extra time to search for just one that doesn't bother me. What I don't get is why her parents won't get up for her. What kind of parents are these people?! Or maybe they are using that to get people to feel bad for her ..

i agree there is something fishy about her parents not testifying either at last trial and apparantly so far not at this trial.

Something is up with that, since they are more than willing to go solicit money.

You could be right that maybe its just to make the jury feel sorry for JA. Heck, they are sitting right there in the courtroom and jury has to know by now who they are. They are wondering too. I am sure of it.

This is definitely one of the defense tricks of some sort. Dont buy it Jury

OK, I got it now, the only exception still out there is if there is a mistrial due to loss of jury members, still not clear on what would happen then, thanks to everyone who help clear this up for me...

This whole "delay, delay, delay" thing just smacks of blackmail. Take the DP off the table OR ELSE. Or else this will NEVER END, and the poor TA family will have to continue to pay for lodging and meals and transportation forevermore. I just DESPISE the Defense and the killer for this.

Doesn't Arizona have a Professional Review board for Attorneys and Judges? Are there some kind of rules on professionalism? Something is very wrong here.

I don't know the answer to your question.
However, I was raised to act and not react to a dilemma.
I'm sitting here up in the Catskill Mountains in NY feeling powerless because I can't do anything about bearing witness to the absurdity of this trial.
I place the blame on Sherry Stevens.
I feel that she is inept and immature. Two very dangerous qualities when dealing with a DP case.
I like your question and your statement. As far as your question; at the very least it, indicates that someone on this board is attempting to try and figure out how to address the obvious problems; caused by Stephens conduct.
Something is wrong for certain.
Mr. Juan Martinez knows far better than I how to act instead of react as far as these issues are concerned.
I will accept and agree with what the family and Mr. Martinez decide.
My post is probably full of grammar and spelling errors, I'm upset...

Yes, this phase will end.

It will either end with a mistrial of some kind (in which the judge will then decide which life sentence is given) or it will end with the jury making a unanimous decision. But it will end. Maybe not nearly as fast as we all would like. But, eventually.

IME, comorbid Cluster B personality disordered people wouldn't see the situation quite like 'normal' people do. She's quite likely to fervently believe she will beat the DP, society at large will see the victim she so clearly is, and her 'wrongful' conviction will be overturned on appeal because she murdered Travis in self-defense.

I'd be absolutely gutted if I were incarcerated. The loss of freedom scares the hell out of me. But for someone like Arias, it's viewed as a temporary situation, easily adaptable. The high-profile nature of this case feeds her narcissism and her belief that she's a lot more important than she really is. IMO, she absolutely believes - to the core of her being - she will one day be free. In the meantime, she will continue to manipulate where and when she can, to include Travis' family, because it's fun to her. She feels like a mastermind, the queen of the chessboard, and all us lowly humans (to include attorneys, judge, family, friends, supporters, etc.) are just merely her pawns. Other people are her playthings - she'll engineer and manipulate situations just to get the result she desires.

So yes, she believes she will win. We know better. ;)

JMO and FWIW

ETA: Something rather scary to bear in mind when it comes to figuring out Arias...she feels justified in taking Travis' life. In her world, she really isn't guilty, because he deserved it. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member