Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 12/05-08 In recess

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Joshua Freeman was 22 (would be in 4 days) in july of 2008

From his obit:

"Joshua Eugene Freeman passed away on July 22, 2008 in Scottsdale, Arizona. Born as the second son to Denise and Gary Freeman on July 26, 1986 in Dire, Timbuktu Province, Mali, West Africa he was a joy to his parents and family."

When did they move to Mesa? Were his memories, that I noted didn't happen until about the same time as JA arrived in Mesa(July 2007), from elsewhere? Were his siblings also abused? Did his parents know at the time and perhaps that's why they moved to Mesa?(side note, I had a somewhat similar exp, though I honestly still don't remember it all, and my family moved to protect me and my siblings because back then stuff like this just wasn't talked about, unless the kid ended up dead from it).

The problem is there are more paths to formally complain when one gets a ruling they don't like. If the judge rules and DT wants to push it then there is the CoA. If the CoA rules and DT doesn't like their ruling there's the state supreme court (maybe, if the supreme court takes the issue on). All of these actions cause delays, and if I understand it correctly, the judge's hands are tied until there's a final decision. She already gave the computer guy more time and no one else will take the stand.

But, and maybe I misunderstood so correct me please if I'm wrong, but AZL said there's no reason to wait for these things before moving the trial forward. The COA had already issued their ruling. What do they need to wait for the opinion for?

I am so bummed out! I can't believe this. No testimony this week? Bogus!
What is wrong with this Judge? Has she lost her mind? She has no regard for deadlines, no respect for anyone's time, specifically the jury or the Alexander family, who have to pay for travel & hotels, jeopardize their jobs, and go broke to see Justice done for their dear brother, while the DT gets paid by the hour by the State of Arizona. I am shocked!
Doesn't JSS have peer review? Didn't I read that they have capital case management meetings to discuss the status of trials due to the large number of pending capital cases? I am sorry, but jeez louise. I have never seen nor heard any other case run like this, except for OJ. If i were a taxpayer in AZ, I would be expecting my residential taxes be raised next year to pay for this and I would be plenty angry at this nonsense. Think of where else this money could be better spent - border issues, Veteran's benefits, etc. This is awful!
So... Thursday I betcha Monday's testimony will be postponed for some stupid DT motion, then JSS will start the Holiday break. What a farce.

Does anyone remember when the COA was supposed to meet again? For some reason I thought it was Wednesday.

But, and maybe I misunderstood so correct me please if I'm wrong, but AZL said there's no reason to wait for these things before moving the trial forward. The COA had already issued their ruling. What do they need to wait for the opinion for?

Exactly.
@TrialDiariesJ · Nurmi says the secret witness #jodiarias will not testify until COA submits another ruling. Judge says trial won't stop for this #3tvarias

Then she just reversed herself (JSS that is) and bye until Thursday and no testimony this week. Maddening.:gaah:

But my understanding is that if JA does not let herself be crossed than any testimony she has already given will be thrown out. This is such a weird trial. We should only be discussing whether or not her life is worth saving and instead this judge thinks we need to further trash Travis for some reason.

No, her testiphony, if in fact there was any -- JSKS won't allow Arizonans or anyone else to know for sure -- won't be thrown out because the 'judge' on the case has handed the reins over to the DT.

This trial will proceed as the DT determines with the 'judge' doing their bidding.

Really nothing. He would prevent the post-conviction argument that Nurmi rendered ineffective assistance of counsel by not subpoenaing them. JM wouldn't have to actually call them to the stand.

Is that why the DT didn't want to reveal who they were or how to contact them? JM can't subpoena someone if he has no way to contact them except through the DT..... can you imagine trying to get the judge to order the DT to deliver them.:facepalm:

AZL said the DT wants the ruling in writing with details of the scope of the CoA decision (limited to 1 witness or encompassing all DT witnesses) so they know what to appeal to the supreme court. At least that's how I read it.

From his obit:

"Joshua Eugene Freeman passed away on July 22, 2008 in Scottsdale, Arizona. Born as the second son to Denise and Gary Freeman on July 26, 1986 in Dire, Timbuktu Province, Mali, West Africa he was a joy to his parents and family."

When did they move to Mesa? Were his memories, that I noted didn't happen until about the same time as JA arrived in Mesa(July 2007), from elsewhere? Were his siblings also abused? Did his parents know at the time and perhaps that's why they moved to Mesa?(side note, I had a somewhat similar exp, though I honestly still don't remember it all, and my family moved to protect me and my siblings because back then stuff like this just wasn't talked about, unless the kid ended up dead from it).

I don't think it was anyone but him. He was a child I think when it happened. They have two homes, Arizona and Idaho where they own a bed and breakfast ~
Here is his families website ~

The Freeman Family Institute

http://www.freeman-family-institute.org/p/our-story.html

ETA ~ http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/joshuafreeman/mystory JF was 6 or 7 and it was a neighbor boy I think that's what I just read....my mind is gone

AZL said the DT wants the ruling in writing with details of the scope of the CoA decision (limited to 1 witness or encompassing all DT witnesses) so they know what to appeal to the supreme court. At least that's how I read it.

I didn't see that in AZL's posts. But she also said there's no point in that. Though that may have more to do with the Nurmi not calling witnesses than writing an appeal.

ETA: and there would be no reason to delay the whole trial for that anyway. Nurmi can still call Jodi back to the stand. It's unnecessary.

Uncool. Someone over on BK comments page is cut and pasting many posts from here- including AZL's and my own and at least 3-4 other WS' s , and posting them all as her own. If that's someone from here, please don't. You don't have my permission to use my words as your own.

When I got up this morning, it was Steven who was on my mind. Grief can be bottomless when you loved the one lost and the manner of death has made this intolerable for him. No matter how many time he retches, it will not go away. The marriage came apart and outside help has failed to put him back together again. Just intensely worried about Steven. If he has faith remaining in our justice system, days like today damage that. I was going to pray but just started bawling.

I wonder what the total cost of this phase has been?

It occurred to me the chance of either a mistrial or, if 12 jurors manage to make it to the bitter end, a hung jury is pretty high in this case. And I thought that even before this phase started. Now I'm thinking the odds of a DP sentence are fairly slim.

Had the state not opted to try this phase again, Arias would be sentenced and away, housed at her new Perryville home for the rest of her life. I understand exactly why the state (and the Alexander family) want Arias to get the DP, but I find myself wondering if all this extra cost, time, frustration, gnashing of teeth, tears, and heartache are worth it. If she ends up with LWOP anyway (which is certainly very possible and perhaps even probable), was this a good use of all the extra monies and resources?

I personally think AZ should change their laws so that the state gets one shot, and only one shot, at the penalty phase and if the jury hangs, then it's LWOP. The cost of trying a penalty phase twice is high on every possible meter (physical, emotional, literal).

{my postings are to stay here on Websleuths and not copied to any other site}

Uncool. Someone over on BK comments page is cut and pasting many posts from here- including AZL's and my own and at least 3-4 other WS' s , and posting them all as her own. If that's someone from here, please don't. You don't have my permission to use my words as your own.

:facepalm:

Is this the same person who was taking BK's "by subscription only" material and sending into the "unsubscribed" cyber world?

Is this the same person who was taking BK's "by subscription only" material and sending into the "unsubscribed" cyber world?

I dunno anything about that. Was just really shocked to see someone cut and pasting half this thread and calling it her own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en