Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/5 - 2/9 - Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish KCL was still "reporting" She really kept us in the loop. The trial wore her down, and personally I am happy she stepped away.

Actually, it inspired her to write a book about her sister's case, and she's closeted off in another state writing it as we speak, and she found happiness recently in her personal life. She has a long-distance relationship going on.

Actually, it inspired her to write a book about her sister's case, and she's closeted off in another state writing it as we speak, and she found happiness recently in her personal life. She has a long-distance relationship going on.

Now we have Ziggy doing our courtroom reporting.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I meant addressing Arias directly, via the foreperson, as they hand in their verdict. The same option as JSS has when sentencing.
Oh. awesome!!!! Wouldn't we pay to see that??

linasK , she has been tweeting every day on the sidebar thread. Bernina has been posting her tweets. They are funny! She is in Seattle.

Speaking of evidence, perhaps it's just because I'm Canadian and therefore don't have a lot of experience with guns, but if I were on the jury, I'd like to have seen examples of just how big the weapons believed used would have been. Surely there's a range of sizes, but I don't recall seeing anything during trial that actually showed how big the gun would have been(would it have fit within her palm, been the size of her hand, etc.) as well as examples of the size of the knife it would have taken to inflict those wounds(hunting knife, one of those big chef knives, a smaller paring knife, etc.).

Many people are visual and just cannot process measurements on a piece of paper into the visual, like all the people who keep spouting about how such a small "girl" could have taken down a "man"(ie. TA wasn't the tallest man in the world, or anywhere near the heaviest and JA certainly wasn't a tiny waif, she certainly dwarfs JW.), then you add in JA's martial arts training, type of work(trays of food/drink, on her feet for hours, at least when she was busy running for those tips or after her ex bf's), etc. compared to someone who was battling his weight and basically had a desk job where the heaviest thing he commonly lifted was Naps and perhaps the trays of cookies he'd bake with his friends (not said to sound mean but TA wasn't exactly a jock).

The kind of gun she used is really tiny, like fits-in-the-palm-of-your-hand tiny. The one time I held one, I had to remind myself to treat it with respect like a "real" gun that could actually go off and kill someone even if purportedly "not loaded," because it looked and felt so much like a toy.

So, if JSS won't sentence her with the omnibus motion pending, will she remain in County custody, or State custody?

Forgive me for being so dumb...Are you saying that even if the jury says DP, that JSS won't sentence her until after the omnibus ruling so JA will continue to sit in Seriff Joe's cell?

She will stay in jail until she's actually sentenced, yes.

I so wish the Arias's would have pressed charges on Jodi's pot growing and that that could be brought up. Growing pot is criminal activity.

She may have a juvenile record, but we won't know about it. Did LE that Bill and Sandy called just give her a lecture and let her go? I bet there has been some infractions - shoplifting, keying someone car, small things that give her satisfaction for righting a wrong in her mind.

The kind of gun she used is really tiny, like fits-in-the-palm-of-your-hand tiny. The one time I held one, I had to remind myself to treat it with respect like a "real" gun that could actually go off and kill someone even if purportedly "not loaded," because it looked and felt so much like a toy.

She will stay in jail until she's actually sentenced, yes.

Sheriif Joe said in an interview that if the jury sentences her to death she would be taken immediately to death row. He said if they hang, then she would stay in jail until sentenced by JSS. So again, are u saying that even though the jury would say they sentence her to death, she still has to be sentenced by JSS and it would wait until after the omnibus hearing? That is hard to believe.

ETA: also wrong if the State of AZ does that, IMO. Why have a jury at all?

Sheriif Joe said in an interview that if the jury sentences her to death she would be taken immediately to death row. He said if they hang, then she would stay in jail until sentenced by JSS. So again, are u saying that even though the jury would say they sentence her to death, she still has to be sentenced by JSS and it would wait until after the omnibus hearing? That is hard to believe.

Not AZL but no matter what the jury is in favour of, JSS sets the sentence. IIUC. So until the judge validates the jury's recommendation of DP or LWOP it is not 'official'.

ETA The judge cannot upgrade the verdict to DP if the jury says LWOP but, iirc, she could downgrade the verdict if the jury says DP.

I get extremely dizzy when I am in a tall building and look down. Or climbing in a mountain. Am I mentally ill?

Me too! Should've seen me freak out on top of the Space Needle in Seattle. And DH had to talk me down off Half-Dome in Yosemite.:scared:

Why would it matter? She used a .25 and it is small. The knife, large or small did major damage. And slit his throat. Jodi caught him in a vulnerable position and Jodi studied martial arts. Travis likely never fought anyone in his life.
And Jodi's NOT a "small girl". She's 5'8" or 5'10", I believe.

Thank you for sharing.
God Bless!

If you're asking me, then I'd have to say there's already a personality deficit. Obviously, there are millions of initially spoiled first borns that aren't personality disordered. Like DeMarte said, the personality is in adaptation stage until 25 - until then, it can go either way. It's my belief that personality disorder is evident by the early to mid teens. Many psychs don't like labeling adolescents with a personality disorder and it can be very difficult to determine when a child is simply a troubled teen or when it's something potentially a lot worse.

A child not getting what they want is going to cause some anger - what level that rises to very much depends on the child and their personal make-up. With someone personality disordered, they will use manipulation to get what they want - and, in all honesty, that includes how they respond with anger. Someone can rage and simply yell a lot. Someone else can rage and become physically violent. IME, rage and anger are also used as manipulative tools - how better to control someone else's behavior than through them fearing you? Or fearing what you will do to yourself?

I mean no offense to anyone here who may be personality disordered but obviously my experiences loving someone who is leave me a bit biased. Untreated personality disordered people won't just use threats, rage, or emotional blackmail to get what they want - including how we respond to them - but they actually use what matters most. Our love. That can't be truer for parents of a personality disordered child - you want them to be happy, whole, and know they're loved. You'll do almost anything to ensure that and that is taken advantage of. When you 'behave' (meaning doing what they want) they'll be an angel and you'll buy into the false hope that finally things are changing. They aren't, but the personality disordered person needs to draw you back in so you don't leave or give up on them. Our hope is our second greatest weakness.

That's really the cycle. When they're happy they're so charismatic, loving, kind. You thank your lucky stars for them - of course at this time, you're also perfect in their eyes. They get annoyed, and you know from past experience a rage isn't far off, so you start walking on eggshells. You change your behavior to suit them. You begin to argue less because it's simply easier not to. You might not ground them when they come home at midnight because last time they tried to cut themselves. Eventually, boundaries blur and through loving someone severely personality disordered and untreated, you truly do lose a part of yourself. It is absolutely psychological warfare and emotional abuse. Part of you gives up, part of you keeps hoping, and most of you is always confused, sad, upset because part of the manipulative process is making you feel as though their behavior is caused by you. This has devastating consequences for loved ones: fear, shame, embarrassment, self-loathing, depression, low self-esteem, loss of trust, isolation, potential self-harm, possible substance abuse, mental health issues, PTSD, stress, anxiety.

I just gotta add (sorry this is so long already) - sometimes suicide threats made by personality disordered individuals are very real. Other times they're just a manipulative tool. I've never personally figured out how to tell the difference but the link between suicide and PD is very real. I think we'd all agree as parents, we'd do practically anything to prevent our children from meeting that fate.

All JMO and FWIW

JA meltdown and her slamming Nurmi tweet....

BK provides exact time for each of her notes. Reconstructing from that, the tweet about Nurmi was sent out after the lunch break, 7 minutes after court was set to resume.

At the exact minute the tweet was posted JSS was on the bench speaking to the bailiff and JA's guard. JA was in the back room. Minutes more passed with the guards going in and out of the back room. One spoke with JM, leaving JM shaking his head. Don't know where MDLR was (tho the obvious guess is she was with JA); but it seems that Nurmi at least was in the courtroom.

After about ten minutes of this drama JSS called the jury in. JA was still in the back room. JA returned to the courtroom literally one minute after the jury was called.

It looks like she believed she could halt proceedings by throwing a hissy fit and refusing to return. She must have been amazed that everyone, including JSS, was willing and able to move along without her. :)

Then this tweet "Great. Kirk is doing Dr. Death-Demarte's cross. We can expect zero impeachment. #jodiarias ".

I think that Jodi expected her BFF, Jen W., to conduct the cross-exam of her arch-nemesis Dr.DM? That is why she was so pissed off...her DT likely may not have told her that KN was doing the cross this time around with DM or told her at the very last minutes prior to court resuming after lunch ? MDLR was simultaneously tweeting the debasing message about " Great, Kurt.....blah, blah, blah" Just a thought.

She's listed on her DL as 5'6 and 125 lbs. She is taller than Wilmont and Juan. Travis was 5'9- 10 IIIRC

Okay, still only a 3 inch height differential, and I wouldn't classify her as petite. Besides I think even an armed petite woman could take down somebody much larger.

Then this tweet "Great. Kirk is doing Dr. Death-Demarte's cross. We can expect zero impeachment. #jodiarias ".

I think that Jodi expected her BFF, Jen W., to conduct the cross-exam of her arch-nemesis Dr.DM? That is why she was so pissed off...her DT likely may not have told her that KN was doing the cross this time around with DM or told her at the very last minutes prior to court resuming after lunch ? MDLR was simultaneously tweeting the debasing message about " Great, Kurt.....blah, blah, blah" Just a thought.

Oh, now I get that it was a slam against Nurmi. :doh: I did see this tweet on the Sidebar thread. I interpreted it that they didn't know what impeachment was, since that was Nurmi's real goal to try to impeach DeMarte. Okay, so even Jodi saw that he wasn't effective yesterday, even though he was at his most obnoxious self!!!

ETA: also wrong if the State of AZ does that, IMO. Why have a jury at all?

Not AZL but no matter what the jury is in favour of, JSS sets the sentence. IIUC. So until the judge validates the jury's recommendation of DP or LWOP it is not 'official'.

ETA The judge cannot upgrade the verdict to DP if the jury says LWOP but, iirc, she could downgrade the verdict if the jury says DP.

In AZ, the judge can't change the verdict either way. But juries don't "sentence" people; judges do. So as soon as she is sentenced, she will be taken to death row, yes. But the jury verdict is not a sentence. Much like the jury verdict in the guilt phase is technically not a "conviction."

Now if the jury says "death," there's nothing for the judge to consider, so JSS could immediately announce the sentence if she wants to. And even if they say life, she could immediately announce LWOP/LWP. But typically sentencing hearings are set a month or two down the road.

In this case, perhaps she will sentence JA immediately just to start the clock running on all the post-trial motions Nurmi will want to file lol. :) Since she knows for certain that those motions are coming, and there will be no problem with jurisdiction for the omnibus motion until those motions are resolved, she might as well get things started.

JSS cannot change a jury rendered verdict, no matter what it is. If the jury hangs this time JSS decides sentencing, and it can't be the DP. Either LWOP or LWP, technically, but LWOP in reality.

ETA...ignore me. AZL beat me to it. :)

In AZ, the judge can't change the verdict either way. But juries don't "sentence" people; judges do. So as soon as she is sentenced, she will be taken to death row, yes. But the jury verdict is not a sentence. Much like the jury verdict in the guilt phase is technically not a "conviction."

Now if the jury says "death," there's nothing for the judge to consider, so JSS could immediately announce the sentence if she wants to. And even if they say life, she could immediately announce LWOP/LWP. But typically sentencing hearings are set a month or two down the road.

In this case, perhaps she will sentence JA immediately just to start the clock running on all the post-trial motions Nurmi will want to file lol. :) Since she knows for certain that those motions are coming, and there will be no problem with jurisdiction for the omnibus motion until those motions are resolved, she might as well get things started.
BBM. I hope, I hope I hope.:praying::praying::praying: From your mouth to God's ears!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli