Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this been posted yet?

Jen's Trial Diaries @TrialDiariesJ · 5m 5 minutes ago

The hearing that was set for today at 1:30pm In the #jodiarias case has been vacated.

MC Superior Court ‏@courtpio · 15m15 minutes ago
The jury will be sworn in at 10am tomorrow. Preliminary jury instructions will be read and then openings will begin. #jodiarias

Beth Karas ‏@BethKaras · 2m2 minutes ago
The hearing scheduled for 4:30 pm ET in #jodiarias is not happening. It's been vacated. Trial starts tomorrow at 1 pm ET.

What can this mean. Sorry on break an just saw this recent tweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is in charge of programming there? On the eve of the retrial that brought them huge numbers, HLN bounces JVM into dead air. She had just won her time slot against all cable channels, with a recap of the Arias case. When HLN curtailed her shows to four a week, it was a warning. But the audience didn't know what was next. I guess the channel doesn't have two quarters to rub together. But their financial sheets are going to look much worse now they have eliminated their ratings winner.

HLN apparently can't count money nor read a calendar (bbm):

--
HLN ‏@HLNTV · 5h 5 hours ago
#JodiArias' sentencing retrial begins today in Phoenix. A new jury will decide if she gets death or life in prison: http://on.hln.tv/58LuWk
--

No folks, it's tomorrow, not today, maybe they didn't really mean to fire JVM, just a calendar mishap?

The jury will be sworn in at 10am tomorrow. Preliminary jury instructions will be read and then openings will begin. #jodiarias

The hearing scheduled for 4:30 pm ET in #jodiarias is not happening. It's been vacated. Trial starts tomorrow at 1 pm ET.

They forgot the "sharp"s! :wink:

For those asking about if the DP were to be dismissed at this point...if that were to happen I believe there would be an opportunity for the defense to argue for life with parole. A sort of mini-mitigation, for lack of a better term. Not sure if such a proceeding would allow witnesses but I think it would allow impact statements, maybe even an allocution by the killer. Maybe AZlawyer will stop in and elaborate as IIRC she posted something about this previously--I just can't find the post right now.

Yes, there would be a sentencing hearing. The judge could just rely on the evidence, VIS and allocution presented at the previous mitigation phase, or she could allow the attorneys to present new information and arguments. Even if she allowed new information, though, I doubt she would schedule more than a day for the hearing. Everything takes much longer with a jury and when the death penalty is at issue.

What about those 4 urgent motions Nurmi filed? The secrecy in this case just leads to so much confusion. :facepalm:

CNN reports but is using an unnamed source "close to the defense": Arias will not be testifying in this re-trial, however you never know with Arias who has a mind of her own. The defense team has cobbled together a handful of witnesses to testify in her behalf. (All of this comes from the source.) That is not the report I read on a news site, which said simply that she will not testify. The source may be correct in assessing her as capable of forcing the issue with Nurmi. We do know she is trying to avoid cross examination but on the other hand, she is just driven to take the courtroom focus.

Has this been posted yet?

Jen's Trial Diaries @TrialDiariesJ · 5m 5 minutes ago

The hearing that was set for today at 1:30pm In the #jodiarias case has been vacated.

Maybe because the judge has ruled on everything in that motion before except for the inane complaints about tweets and JA's MCO jail searches... :floorlaugh:

I seriously hope all these pay-for-trial-videos websites won't result in there not being immediatly spot on tweets as things are happening. What I mean is, I hope Jen and Co. don't start saving all the good stuff for their blog and tweet less.

I'm all for all these reporters turn entrepeneurs but I hope their tweets stay on point!
Agreed! Other than if the convict is in stripes, I really don't care who is wearing salmon, teal, plum, khaki or what they had/want to eat!!!
And I really, really don't want to hear about the milky/creamy white skin of the convict. Barf!!! Only that she looks like a pasty ghost!

What can this mean. Sorry on break an just saw this recent tweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably that the defense team didn't get their way and that it was thrown back at them???

Beth Karas ‏@BethKaras 31m31 minutes ago

I've been wondering.. Does Nurmi have a choice when it comes to the pedophelia accusations or does he need to listen to his client? I wonder if he and JW have much choice in what they've been saying in court..

CNN reports but is using an unnamed source "close to the defense": Arias will not be testifying in this re-trial, however you never know with Arias who has a mind of her own. The defense team has cobbled together a handful of witnesses to testify in her behalf. (All of this comes from the source.) That is not the report I read on a news site, which said simply that she will not testify. The source may be correct in assessing her as capable of forcing the issue with Nurmi. We do know she is trying to avoid cross examination but on the other hand, she is just driven to take the courtroom focus.

But if she's not testifying - who is? We know Alyce LaViolette said she wasn't going to, this time around. I really wonder who else the defense has.

I've bee wondering.. Does Nurmi have a choice when it comes to the pedophelia accusations or does he need to listen to his client? I wonder if he and JW have much choice in what they've been saying in court..

She gets to direct her defense whether they like it or not.

I have a neighbor that has worked with Judge Sherry. He said she is a VERY nice lady.
I think that may be some of the problem in this trial.
People have different personalities and not all are suited to this type of case. I don't think their education or experience can change that. I think maybe JSS is this type of person. I am not saying this is good or bad, it just is IMO, what it is.

I think she's responsible for this misconduct motion as well.
No doubt. But the one involving Flores's wife won't go far. A lead dectective's wife wouldn't jeopardize his case by posting sealed info, which she didn't have access to anyhow. Anything Mrs. Flores posted was common knowledge, and she does have a right to express her opinion.
I'm continually reminded of a case here on WS a couple of years ago where a girl got in trouble with her school for posting on Facebook that a noon-duty aide was mean. She was vindicated. That was NOT a threat, it was an opinion. Many noon-duty aides are mean. She had every right (but not good judgement) to post her opinion on Facebook.

Does this mean we aren't going to be able to watch Vinnie Politan get all hyper and animated while doing ridiculous re-enactments with Mike Brooks ?

Is Vinnie Politan not going to have his "After Dark" program where he has a fake jury decide the answer to his "question of the day" ?

What about the half dozen attorneys they had on every night, talking over one another and smiling big for the cameras, are they gone too ??

What are we supposed to do for entertainment this time around ??

Monday Night Football only comes on once a week !!

Vinnie is long gone. He's at 11alive in Atlanta. After Dark was cancelled before he left. Not sure if HLN plans to keep Nancy since Jane is gone, but I'm sure if NG's around you can find all the screaming lawyers you want on her show!

LinasK I totally agree with you regarding Ms Flores right to post anything she pleases. I just think it was a very poor choice if she did. I can understand wanting to stand up for your husband. But, sometimes it is just better to be silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member