Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To add to what I just said, I don't suppose that if JA is able to bring in the alleged pedophilia that JM could ask a question in rebuttal like, "And you attempted to sell forged letters where you claimed Travis admitted he was a pedophile right?" :dance:

I must admit I have no clue what to expect from this next phase.. It seems to me like both sides will be bringing in some new information. Or at least put a new spin on an old story.

I wonder if the new witnesses of the state that the defense wanted to preclude will actually testify or if they're just backup in case JA and company decide to trash TA's character some more. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Here's an expanded upwards snip from the minutes. As you can see, just before defense withdraws its objection and the motion is denied, Arias requests to have her counsel reinstated - she no longer wants to represent herself. She'd only been representing herself for a week. My guess would be that she was adamant about getting these letters admitted, thought she could make it happen by representing herself, realized it was a lost cause, and wanted her lawyers back.

IT IS ORDERED granting the Defendant’s request to have her advisory counsel
reinstated as counsel of record.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED appointing Kirk Nurmi and Victoria Washington to
represent the Defendant for all further proceedings.

Counsel for the Defense withdraws their objection to the State’s Motion to Preclude.

IT IS ORDERED granting the State’s Motion to Preclude the Letters.

Everything we know about Arias suggests that she would have had a sick thrill at being given access to witnesses, telephone calls, meetings and trial documents. All oxygen for her stalking, creepy madness. I bet she enjoyed every moment - plotting and planning how to cause maximum possible upset for the family and friends of Travis Alexander. She will get off on that for years.

Jeez does that mean this could make the original trial seem like it finished in less than a week? If JA went 18 days before....

Or does it give JM more leeway to bring in people to rebut whatever nonsense JA might come up with?

Or did I completely misunderstand your point?

I think this phase will be completed within the time frame currently set. Although anything "relevant" can come in, it has to be relevant to mitigation or to balancing mitigation and aggravation--it can't just be relevant to guilt vs. innocence.

Yes, JM will have more leeway for rebuttal evidence.

To add to what I just said, I don't suppose that if JA is able to bring in the alleged pedophilia that JM could ask a question in rebuttal like, "And you attempted to sell forged letters where you claimed Travis admitted he was a pedophile right?" :dance:

Yes, although I doubt she'll testify and subject herself to cross-examination. I expect she'll just do the allocution again. But JM will be able to respond with forgery evidence if the pedophilia issue is raised, yes.

Opening her hyperactive mouth.______Back in June, 2008 the killer phoned the cops to advise them to look into Thomas Brown, one of the roommates she found suspicious. She said, "You really need to look at him." Now we ask you Miss I Am Innocent, why would you point at someone still grappling with this monstrous crime, if you had blamelessly committed it in self-defense? Horrible gestures like this are one of the reasons Sleuths put nothing past you. The day after the murder, she confided to Leslie Udy that she hoped to watch her children & Travis' children play together. His body had not yet been discovered. Why would you entertain such a fantasy when you claim you did your utmost to keep this "pedophile" away from children, including his friends' children?

Agreed. I think they know exactly what kind of monster she is, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're afraid of her. And saying that, their behavior was still reprehensible in court and in SM, imo.

IMO, they are afraid of her. Not only since she committed this murder, either; I think her family's fear of her and suspicions that she could be capable of brutal violence dates back at least a decade, maybe two.

Sleuths have been commenting on this board for weeks & weeks that Arias is pushing with determination to re-litigate this case, even though it is baldly clear we are dealing with punishment only, The Penalty, not whether she is guilty or not. She has to be capable of understanding the distinction. A moron could. Instead, Arias cannot accept the reality in which she now finds herself living, as a convicted murderer. Simply a big mistake caused by those demon cameras, a jury that betrayed her, counsel who despised her and prosecutorial misconduct. Out come the colored pencils and a fresh piece of paper, do this over and make it right.

Tuba, it is eerie how far inside the killer's head you are able to go; it is evident in post after post!

And before anyone gets offended by my saying that, I wish to clarify that I am in awe of your abilities to assess this killer, her intentions past and present, and the level of evil that resides where her heart is supposed to be.

I wonder if JA is going to testify herself as a witness OR just do the allocution which would prevent Juan from asking her any questions.

I suppose it will depend on how many witnesses JA has managed to connive into testifying for her. If it goes well for her in her mind, she may choose to avoid letting Juan have a go at her.

Im kind of 50/50 on this because we all saw how she seemed to enjoy her time on the stand. So perhaps she has big plans this time around and maybe she is itching for her chance to get on the stand. Perhaps her + Nurmi have a whole list of topics and questions he is going to ask her.

If so, I sure hope that if Juan properly objects, then I hope the judge will properly disallow any questions that are not appropriate for this phase of the trial.

I have a feeling that we are in for a huge volume of objections.

It is almost impossible to know for sure but I bet she will just do her allocution. She can say a lot more there without being objected to and, heck, she could probably have it go on for days if she wanted to.

I just know that whenever she drags out a DV tee shirt or some pedophile brochures or forged letters/texts/emails/whathaveyou...I will upchuck.

Go away now, killer. You murdered the best thing that ever happened to you. Just hang your head and go away!

I can't remember exactly how JA fit the pedophilia allegation into her story, but I do seem to recall it was somehow of great importance to her explanation of why things ultimately went down the way they did.

Wasn't it during her testimony when she spoke of a photo falling in "that chaotic way that paper will" off TA's bed? Or...did she bring up the brochures first? You know--the pedophile brochures that she saw on display somewhere so out of the kindness of her heart picked up some for him.

Or was it neither? Seriously, this nonsense has gone on for so long I am confused more often than not anymore.

Will there be reporter tweeters once the official trial kicks off on Tuesday?

Well, Travis's character isn't really relevant in the mitigation phase (because it isn't supposed to be worse to kill good people than bad people, although we all know it is...). But to the extent that by some tortured reasoning his character is maligned by Arias to support one of her mitigating factors (e.g. to provide context for her abuse story), JM will be able to respond with evidence of his own in rebuttal.

I can't remember exactly how JA fit the pedophilia allegation into her story, but I do seem to recall it was somehow of great importance to her explanation of why things ultimately went down the way they did.

Yes, AZ, the way she linked the pedophilia into her defense was that "everything changed after that." That was when the escalation of abuse began. Pretty clever, really.

You know...I am not really convinced they believe her. Her family, I mean.

Agreed. When her mother found out Travis had been murdered one of the first things she asked Jodi is if she had been to Arizona.

Wasn't it during her testimony when she spoke of a photo falling in "that chaotic way that paper will" off TA's bed? Or...did she bring up the brochures first? You know--the pedophile brochures that she saw on display somewhere so out of the kindness of her heart picked up some for him.

Or was it neither? Seriously, this nonsense has gone on for so long I am confused more often than not anymore.

If IRCC she said she picked them up at the mall.

Everything we know about Arias suggests that she would have had a sick thrill at being given access to witnesses, telephone calls, meetings and trial documents. All oxygen for her stalking, creepy madness. I bet she enjoyed every moment - plotting and planning how to cause maximum possible upset for the family and friends of Travis Alexander. She will get off on that for years.

I have no idea how it actually works, but wonder if she hoped (among other things) to get private time with witnesses - including her own - when she was representing herself. Or in other words, opportunities to coach.

Agreed. When her mother found out Travis had been murdered one of the first things she asked Jodi is if she had been to Arizona.

and don't forget that JA's answer to her mom was "no, she had the receipts to prove it" (paraphrase).
that response locked in (explained) so much for me.

Purposely saved to try to prove her route and save her arse. To bad for her, once the prosecutor got hold of them and did his research, little did she know those receipts would help bring her to where she spends her days now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove