Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah I know that. I meant this "fog" between age 12-14. Can't remember that being brought up last time

Well, she does embellish.

"But it's not her fault. After all, what's a girl to do?" ~ Paraphrasing the incomparable JM

Tom Tingle ‏@TomTingle2 2m2 minutes ago
Defense attorney Kirk Nurmi and #JodiArias look at jury today as sentencing retrial continues in Phoenix #retrial

View attachment 65757

Juan should file a motion demanding CMJA button her 70's blouse up... nobody wants to see that. Just Kidding. Besides, wasn't it reported that she had sprung a leak?

Guess defense will keep him on stand through Thursday. I feel bad for the jury. After this week, I bet there will be no trial days until January 2nd. Defense wants jury to think about Jodi's abuse during holidays. My guess is the jury already hates her. I am glad the holidays are coming up. Glad for the jury. Glad for us. (Maybe Santa will give JSS a backbone for Christmas but she has been so bad it's not likely he will even visit her.)

Maybe the jurors can enjoy JA's rendition of "O Hole-y Night" or "We Three Holes of Yreka" or whatever it was she warbled.

Steve Krafft ‏@SKrafftFox10 6h6 hours ago
AZ Appeals Court: Judge Stephens was aware #jodiarias was being "manipulative" but fear of reversal if she didn't cave was greater.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 1m1 minute ago
Fears of leaving Travis existed, fears of what would happen to Travis if she left him #jodiarias #3tvarias

FFS She already 'left him' by moving back to Cali. And they were NEVER really together. Did not live together, were not married, had no kids, no shared responsibilities. This is a ridiculous conclusion this doctor made.

Tweets from the afternoon behind spoiler:

11:52AM@TomTingle2#JodiArias looks around in court Tuesday. Sentencing retrial continues with Dr. Robert Geffner on the stand
B5AG86KCEAA2CJq.jpg:large
Twitter
11:55AM@TomTingle2Psychologist Dr. Robert Geffner speaks 2 jury Tues about psych test results on #JodiArias #depressed #suicidal
B5AHpVzCMAA-aAd.jpg

Twitter
11:57AM@TomTingle2Judge Sherry Stephens listens to defense attorney Jennifer Willmott in #JodiArias sentencing retrial Tues in Phx
B5AIAWFCAAABKHJ.jpg

Twitter
11:58AM@TomTingle2#JodiArias defense attorney Jennifer Willmott questions psychologist Dr. Robert Geffner Tues about psych test results
B5AIUs7CIAAdr4Q.jpg

Twitter
12:01PM@TomTingle2#JodiArias defense attorney Kirk Nurmi leaves a bench conference during sentencing phase retrial Tues in Phoenix.
B5AJBaGCUAA1-3D.jpg

Twitter
12:03PM@TomTingle2Psychologist Dr. Robert Geffner testifies that #JodiArias had low self-esteem and was, at times, suicidal.#nothingnew
B5AJf-NCIAAAqbD.jpg

Twitter
12:09PM@TomTingle2#JodiArias seemed in better spirits today. Interesting juxtaposition since today's testimony is that she was suicidal
B5AKuO-CIAAT0Bt.jpg

Twitter
12:32PM@TrialDiariesJJuan says the issue with the mirror image was tested over lunch & it works! Nurmi says Numeister tried it and it didn't #jodiairas #3tvarias Twitter
12:33PM@TrialDiariesJNurmi says Numeister followed proper protocal and used a writeblocker and it didn't work #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
12:35PM@TrialDiariesJJuan says given Numeisters testimony and the fact he can't operate the equipment take it as you will #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
12:36PM@TrialDiariesJNurmi is saying the two witness's that work with Numeister are not available for tomorrow and he can't confirm that they will be right now Twitter
12:37PM@TrialDiariesJJuan wants the interview, judge says call them Nurmi #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
12:39PM@WildAboutTrialNurmi is adamant that is doesn't matter what Juan "wants" re: interviewing additional ppl on Neumeister's team. Might not happen. #jodiarias Twitter
12:42PM@TrialDiariesJNew chart- It is a Phase 2 and Phase 3 chart. It has to do with domestic violence. #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
12:42PM@TrialDiariesJPhases 2- abusive or violent incident Phase 3- calm and kindness, sexual interaction #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
12:46PM@WildAboutTrialHe claims Travis aggressively grabbed #JodiArias causing pain. Additionally, he mentions text messages & emails. Twitter
01:10PM@TrialDiariesJJodi says she knew argument was over when her and TA had sex. Jodi says she was always the one to apologize #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
01:11PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner says the public and media tend to minimize the affects of psychological abuse #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
01:13PM@TrialDiariesJPhysically injuries can heal but psychological damage can last forever #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
01:14PM@jeffgoldesq#JodiArias emotional abuse can not be minimized . can have lifelong effect on spouse who has been damaged Twitter
01:17PM@WildAboutTrial#JodiArias looks on with a pathetic defeated face as Geff talks about the use of "*advertiser censored*" & "*advertiser censored*" being abusive. Twitter
01:19PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner sees humiliation, Juan objects and we have a sidebar #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
01:22PM@TrialDiariesJBeing embarrassed in public such as in Jan 07 in her journal she noted Travis called her a *advertiser censored*. #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
01:22PM@jeffgoldesq#JodiArias Travis calling Jodi "pure evil" was stab to heart (does Jodi have one?) Twitter
01:23PM@jeffgoldesq#JodiArias jury listening intently. No notes at this point Twitter
01:24PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner- Jodi was a monogamous person and before she got involved with Travis she broke it off with Darryl #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
01:26PM@CarolynSungCNNDr. Geffner and Willmott continue to discuss #jodiarias and TA's relationship. Twitter
01:26PM@WildAboutTrialGeff talks about #JodiArias breaking up w/Darryl for TA & then JA being devastated when TA was texting up to 5 girls at a time. Juan objects Twitter
02:32PM@jeffgoldesq#JodiArias has 4 supporters here today including her mom Twitter
02:33PM@TrialDiariesJJodi didn't know what she did at times and she was beat by her mom. #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:33PM@TrialDiariesJDad is whipping Jodi and her brother with a belt and it's scary #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:34PM@TrialDiariesJCarl the younger brother was interviewed in Feb of this year #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:34PM@jeffgoldesqDid #JodiArias testify in secret about child hood abuse. Juror #3 said yes but unconfirmed by 2nd source. Twitter
02:35PM@TrialDiariesJWe are looking at the typed interview with Carl- Carl confirmed Jodi was hit with a wooden spoon #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:36PM@TrialDiariesJJodi and Carl played but would fight with each other. Jodi 12-14 yrs was very private. She was mostly in her room with door shut #jodiarias Twitter
02:36PM@WildAboutTrialCarl Arias interview on screen. Says #JodiArias was always very private starting around age 12. Twitter
02:37PM@WildAboutTrialCarl says, "Both parents beat the crap out of their kids." #JodiArias Twitter
02:37PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner says something traumatic happened to Jodi between 12-14yrs but he doesn't know what it is and Jodi doesn't know either #jodiarias Twitter
02:38PM@TrialDiariesJBoth parents beat the crap out of us according to Carl Dad would spank them with a WWF belt and instill fear #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:39PM@TrialDiariesJHe would threaten them with belt so when he would get home the kids were in constant fear #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:40PM@TrialDiariesJAn Aunt told Geffner now a days this would be looked at as abuse #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:40PM@TrialDiariesJFrom 9-11 years old this is when the belt spanking was occurring #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:41PM@jeffgoldesq#JodiArias had a pattern of "learned helplessness" giving in to the punishment. And just wanting to cope with it. Twitter
02:41PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner says Jodi told him Carl got it worse than her and Carl said Jodi got it worse #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:42PM@jeffgoldesq#JodiArias dad had paddle with kids name on it but neither remembers being hit with it Twitter
02:45PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner says tremendous fear was instilled in young children.They would lay in bed and just cry #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:45PM@tinalcarr69@TrialDiariesJ I think it goes, "don't cry or I'll give you something to cry about." #JodiArias Twitter
02:50PM@WildAboutTrialGeff said this experience traumatized her................................. #jodiarias Twitter
02:41PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner says Jodi told him Carl got it worse than her and Carl said Jodi got it worse #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:42PM@jeffgoldesq#JodiArias dad had paddle with kids name on it but neither remembers being hit with it Twitter
02:45PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner says tremendous fear was instilled in young children.They would lay in bed and just cry #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
02:45PM@tinalcarr69@TrialDiariesJ I think it goes, "don't cry or I'll give you something to cry about." #JodiArias Twitter
02:50PM@WildAboutTrialGeff said this experience traumatized her................................. #jodiarias Twitter
03:00PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner interviewed a family friend named "Faith" We have a sidebar over transcript #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:06PM@TrialDiariesJJodi and Carl had a normal relationship. When Jodi moved she still kept in touch with friend. Jodi kept the guys she was dating to herself Twitter
03:06PM@TrialDiariesJShe kicked a hole in bedroom wall when she was mad at her mom and had a temper #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:07PM@WildAboutTrialOn screen interview w/ #JodiArias friend: Her Bro remembers her (Zeyna) saying JA was moving from Salinas bc some1 was coming after JA's Dad Twitter
03:07PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner doesn't see this as violent because it's a wall and not a person #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:08PM@TrialDiariesJThe Aunt says she never even saw a hole in wall so he doesn't know if this is true #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:08PM@WildAboutTrial#JodiArias was always a messy girl, went to visit her in Big Sur, she had moldy food and over flowing litter boxes. (screaming cat emoji) Twitter
03:10PM@TrialDiariesJJodi always spent more than she had (max out cc to go on trips with Travis) #Jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:10PM@WildAboutTrial"Kicked hole in bedroom wall when she was mad at Mom" according to interview w/friend yet Geff says Aunt never saw hole in wall. #jodiarias Twitter
03:14PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner says he remembers an interview with Lora and Judge says OK bring jury back #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:17PM@TrialDiariesJJodi says her family never had money but in adulthood Jodi was loaning Travis money when she didn't have it #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:17PM@TrialDiariesJDarryl's sister Lora stated Jodi spent more money than she did. Jodi would spend money and go overboard on men #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:19PM@TrialDiariesJWhat affects would coming from an abusive home have on someone. Well if a female was hit then she would think this is normal #JODIarias Twitter
03:20PM@thegoldpatrol#JodiArias being humanized today by defense. Martinez will later contrast today with inhuman butchery of Travis, planning lies and coverups” Twitter
03:22PM@WildAboutTrialGeff says products of abusive homes typically seek stable relationships to make up for love lacked in childhood. #jodiarias Twitter
03:23PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner- Yes but they don't know how to form a healthy one so they find someone with like experiences #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:23PM@WildAboutTrialGeff says people that lack self esteem like #JodiArias will sometimes attract abusive partners that remind them of their parents. Twitter
03:24PM@jeffgoldesq#JodiArias Bobby Juarez abused her too acc to DrG. Twitter
03:24PM@TrialDiariesJBobby Juarez Geffner- This is an abusive relationship all the way around. #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:25PM@TrialDiariesJGeffner- Jodi moved in with Bobby to get away from her home. When Juan objects Geffner goes "OH!" lol #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:27PM@TrialDiariesJSee you all tomorrow at 9:30am MST #jodiarias #3tvarias Twitter
03:27PM@jeffgoldesq#JodiArias day is done Twitter
03:31PM@thegoldpatrol#jodiarias Bobby Juarez allegedly abused her too. And on that note, the day ends. Twitter

Thank you so Much for all the hard work you did on compiling these tweets.:loveyou:

Sounds like her mo, she wouldn't allow her ex's to move on until she was ready to discard them. She's still got strings to MM and DB... and who knows who else that we haven't heard about.

I was thinking about that last night- it's never really come to light what exactly she was doing during that time when she was unattached- a supposed long stretch between Matt McCartney and Darryl Brewer.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 2m2 minutes ago
Geffner is using Jodi's journals and text message as a point of reference. #jodiarias #3tvarias

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 2m2 minutes ago
Jodi says she knew argument was over when her and TA had sex. Jodi says she was always the one to apologize #jodiarias #3tvarias

Using HER journals is not very credible. They are chock full of lies an delusions.

Also, if SHE is the one that always apologizes, doesn't that make HER the abuser?

I'm surprised they didn't say the Geffer is only available next Monday and Tony only on Christmas Eve and Man of Mystery #2 only on the day after Christmas - you know, try to screw up his Christmas as much as possible.

i thought the court could force them to show up to be available

Here's the important part from the CoA ruling that underscored the whole problem going on (at least important to me)

"Although expressing concern that Arias was being manipulative, the court stated it had considered the potential legal ramifications if an appellate court later determined that Arias did not voluntarily waive her right to present evidence in mitigation. As a result, the court closed the proceeding for Arias’ testimony."

Translation: JSS is running scared at every point where she has to make a decision because she is terrified the case may be overturned on appeal. Basically she lacks confidence and doubts herself. She also is catastrophizing (what IF the appellate court thinks Arias didn't get a chance to..... and then they overturn ....) Not a good thing for a trial judge in a capital murder case to rule from fear that every decision she makes could become judicial error.

The irony here is that JSS is so busy trying to protect the case from future appellate action that she may well end up with a 2nd mistrial from delay after delay and resulting juror attrition, and then she will have to sentence Arias, and at that point the DP will not be on the table. The defense is counting on this and would be only too happy if JSS stayed paranoid and scared. I think she will continue to be as paralyzed as ever.

Changed my flash settings recently and my 'reply to thread' and 'thanks' button not working ok, I can only respond via 'quick reply', so a big thank you to everyone for tweets and comments.

The abuse tales are getting taller and taller, hopefully this witness is done on direct tommorrow and we get to hear from Juan.

I'm having the same problem and I can't watch some of the videos. I need to take my laptop in to see what the deal is but I hate to miss this. Dang flash stuff LOL.

Thanks to everyone posting and giving us the tweets!

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 47s47 seconds ago
Geffner said when he met Jodi he really didn't have much of a history of case, witnesses that testified, the sex involved etc #jodiarias

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq 1m1 minute ago
#JodiArias recess

Wha??????? Didn't he testify in the guilt phase?

I have so much reading to do to catch up, have been away all day. Anyone willing to give me a quick summary ? TIA

Oh yeah I know that. I meant this "fog" between age 12-14. Can't remember that being brought up last time

IIRC. I do remember something about the boy/ knife incident and that is what Jodi told Samuels?

Once again, an expert is delivering what the defense wants.

For those of us who followed the first trial, there are glaring discrepancies. The jury must also be wondering about discrepancies as well. During the opening arguments of this phase, Nurmi told them that Arias had been choked to near unconsciousness by a parent while the other parent stood by and did nothing. Today they heard that Carl and Jodi were beaten with wooden spoons and a belt, and this was later qualified as discipline but not so much abuse by standards of the time. Make sense to the jury?

Dr. F mentioned one instance where Travis kicked Jodi and broke her finger. Dr. G did not mention that. Instead, he said something about grabbing Jodi.

The defense is not presenting a clear, clean picture of things for this new jury. Tweeters from the courtroom say that not many notes are being taken.

It should come as no surprise that Arias has less than an ideal history, and facts like kicking a hole in the wall will be good for him to challenge Dr. Geffner's tainted presentation. I have no doubt that Martinez will be able to use Dr. G's testimony to his advantage and blow things like "learned helplessness" out of the water.

I'm hoping there is a juror like Tara Kelley from the last trial submitting questions!

i thought the court could force them to show up to be available

Witnesses can be ordered to appear by subpoena. Or the judge can order counsel to have their witnesses available to testify. But something tells me she won't.

Once again, an expert is delivering what the defense wants.

For those of us who followed the first trial, there are glaring discrepancies. The jury must also be wondering about discrepancies as well. During the opening arguments of this phase, Nurmi told them that Arias had been choked to near unconsciousness by a parent while the other parent stood by and did nothing. Today they heard that Carl and Jodi were beaten with wooden spoons and a belt, and this was later qualified as discipline but not so much abuse by standards of the time. Make sense to the jury?

Dr. F mentioned one instance where Travis kicked Jodi and broke her finger. Dr. G did not mention that. Instead, he said something about grabbing Jodi.

The defense is not presenting a clear, clean picture of things for this new jury. Tweeters from the courtroom say that not many notes are being taken.

It should come as no surprise that Arias has less than an ideal history, and facts like kicking a hole in the wall will be good for him to challenge Dr. Geffner's tainted presentation. I have no doubt that Martinez will be able to use Dr. G's testimony to his advantage and blow things like "learned helplessness" out of the water.

I'm hoping there is a juror like Tara Kelley from the last trial submitting questions!

Jurors not taking a lot of notes is not really a red flag, IMO. It might mean they see through what is being said and do not see the need to capture it in a notebook for posterity...or to refer to later. IOW, jurors might not be as taken in by the testimony as defense and witness are hoping they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member