Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably. But IMO the AZ Supreme Court will not grant him a stay pending appeal, and neither will JSS.

I cannot even believe that the reason for the secrecy was that JA would be unable to express herself properly if anyone knew what she had said.

Reading between the lines that means that people on the internet would be able to successfully dispute every mitigating factor that she brought up and that JM would get all kinds of information to help him in cross. :giggle:

MOO

So can he go on to argue this now? That the witnesses who have not appeared in this case before will only testify in secret? And if they can't it jeopardizes her right to a fair trial? Didn't that happen in the first sentencing phase and JSS ruled against him?

I'm sure he'll make that argument again, yes. But now JSS has a handy-dandy guide to the factors she should be considering when making the decision.

Wow I can't wait to read it. Ya think Jodi will be able to remember what lies she told this time? It's been a while since she testified in secret.

Although expressing concern that Arias was being manipulative, the court
stated it had considered the potential legal ramifications if an appellate
court later determined that Arias did not voluntarily waive her right to
present evidence in mitigation.

----

Justice 1, your stupid test 0, Dr Gefner!

Yep. Judge is intimidated by any breath of a threat of successful appeal. The reasoning by the DT is so convoluted and distorted it would do a psychopath proud. IMO. It's all about the successful appeal to her.

Wish the in courtroom observers would tell us whether JA seems to be aware of the COA ruling against her, if she is sulking, etc.

How did JSS swallow the asinine lie that someone in 23/24 lockdown was afraid of death threats... and meanie letters?

It sounds like she didn't actually swallow it but feared a CoA down the road saying the killer expressed fears and the judge ignored those fears and blah blah blah, sentence overturned.

It's a reach, but JSS errs on the side of caution ALL THE TIME. Caution is good but too much of a good thing can be counter-productive.

COA: Although expressing concern that Arias was being manipulative.......

ya think?

My favorite part:

...The exclusion of the public, therefore, "is an extraordinary measure and should be done with caution....especially when requested by a defendant and "would take from the public its right to be informed of a proceeding to which it is an interested party"

woo-hoo!!! no more hiding, you little sneak!!

She has already been found indigent. That finding will carry over to appeal. The State does not get to decide if her appeal is viable before approving the funds. That would be a major conflict of interest for sure. :)

The concern was that JA wouldn't get the right to testify and had not voluntarily waived the right BECAUSE she felt pressured into waiving the right due to the death threats, etc.

But what I mean is, JSS knows that threats were total BS, but she decided to grant JA's request anyways so that Jodi can't claim that she had felt pressured into waiving her right. As in, JSS didn't buy JA's story at all, but even though there wasn't any "evil danger" that would warrent JSS closing the courtroom to the public she took more into account JA's refusal to testify than the fact that were death treats and such.

Yeah I'm not wording that right at all.

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 6m6 minutes ago
Counsel proached. Sizzzle. The Geff has on light gray suit with light blueberry tie and light charcoal mustache #jodiarias

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts 7m7 minutes ago
Something ironic about being afraid of death threats when out old reporters after the verdict that you wanted to die. #jodiarias

Is Geffner back on the stand or are we at a secret sidebar?

It sounds like she didn't actually swallow it but feared a CoA down the road saying the killer expressed fears and the judge ignored those fears and blah blah blah, sentence overturned.

It's a reach, but JSS errs on the side of caution ALL THE TIME. Caution is good but too much of a good thing can be counter-productive.

The COA certainly erased any lingering doubt as to how worried JSS is about appeals.

COA: Although expressing concern that Arias was being manipulative.......

ya think?

It was in their document but I think they were saying JSS was the one who had expressed that concern (meaning, JSS expressed that concern in her ruling that was sealed from our eyes and ears, but not to hte CoA).

From WAT:

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 6m 6 minutes ago

Counsel proached. Sizzzle. The Geff has on light gray suit with light blueberry tie and light charcoal mustache #jodiarias

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 2m 2 minutes ago

The Geff is on the stand. Jury waltzing in now. #jodiarias

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 1m 1 minute ago

Jennifer continues with Geffner and asks "are you ready?? do you have water" #JodiArias

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 38s 38 seconds ago

Geff goes over some tests that they were discussing at the end of trial yesterdeee. #JodiArias

Now that we'll be getting the transcripts, I wish Jodi would have testified longer LOL.
Transcripts sure beat tweets. :)

From WAT:

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 55s 55 seconds ago

#JodiArias flips through her paperwork and begins to craft with the golf pencil.

From WAT:

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 31s 31 seconds ago

Curious as to why court photographers have to use a noisy clicking style camera still? Very distracting #JodiArias

:seeya: Well, IF JSS would have allowed cameras, there would be no clicking noises !

The COA certainly erased any lingering doubt as to how worried JSS is about appeals.

That it does. She is worried about appeals to the point of ridiculous. I hope this ruling gives her more intestinal fortitude to get through the proceedings at hand. IOW, no more "just in case" rulings for things that should be obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaLegend71