Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 26, Part 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
if she does switch her writing hand in court, it's probably already too late. Whoever asked that was already observing her before submitting the q.

Doesn't mean she won't try, which will just show the juror who asked the question how manipulative she tries to be.

Thank you to everyone that posts the tweets, and to everyone commenting on them.
At one time the defense had an expert witness that was going to testify about the conditions inmates in at the prison. I wonder if he will still testify.

I read through day one last night. A juror asked about the sex tape on the helio phone and I wondered how they knew that seeing as it hadn't been mentioned in the testimony.

Only other thing I've seen that concerns me is something posted by the 13th Juror guy. I'm not going to say what as I was stunned and amazed JW mentioned rewriting journals when nobody in court had suggested such a thing.

It's so hard to tell what has been mentioned in the testimony. Trial watching by Tweet sucks.

I honestly can't decide what I want more: Juan to start rebuttal case or JA to take stand. On one hand, Juan is so good, even at trial by tweet. On the other, she was so bad at testifying last time. Thoughts?

I read through day one last night. A juror asked about the sex tape on the helio phone and I wondered how they knew that seeing as it hadn't been mentioned in the testimony.

Only other thing I've seen that concerns me is something posted by the 13th Juror guy. I'm not going to say what as I was stunned and amazed JW mentioned rewriting journals when nobody in court had suggested such a thing.

I believe Juan has brought up the sex tape on the helio. He kept mentioning that she said it was stolen when it wasn't stolen and was conveniently found later. He also mentioned the Aunt a couple of times as an accomplice in retrieving the phone for Jodi's defense. It's come up.

The 13th Juror has his article up regarding yesterday's testimony. https://www.facebook.com/JuanMartinezProsecutorSupportPage/posts/893957047316362

Here's a teaser- 'I expect the jury knows that she does not have the guts to step on the stand to face the wrath of Juan and the voice of Travis Alexander. They already know she is a cold blooded killer and nothing has been presented to show it otherwise.They have no fear of putting her to death.'

Thanks for posting as I always enjoy reading his blog. It was interesting that he noted he did not understand why the juror asked if she was left or right handed as he said he still doesn't know. Perhaps someone will respond to him that it was in an effort to verify that if her finger were broken on x date, that her handwriting SHOULD have changed. But it did not. Thanks to :websleuther: for sharing that as I too couldn't figure out why the question was asked.

I honestly can't decide what I want more: Juan to start rebuttal case or JA to take stand. On one hand, Juan is so good, even at trial by tweet. On the other, she was so bad at testifying last time. Thoughts?
I don't think testifying would unnerve her and it just gives her a platform that feeds into the delusion she's more important than she really is. Personally, I am so far past done with her having a venue to spew her venom that I'd love for rebuttal to start.

As an aside, Jodi is so far beyond egotistical even for a psychopath that it boggles my mind. Many I know of will step back, weigh their options, and only do what's in their best interests to get what they want. Examples: Marissa DeVault did not take the stand in her defense. Ted Bundy worked as his own attorney but he'd actually attended law school. My ex plead guilty, to a crime he admits to but blames the victim for, for a reduced sentence. Their instinct for self-preservation usually trumps everything else.

Summary of my afternoon in court:
* Thank God I have a keyboard to type on right now; I suck at texting so thank you for not getting irritated!

* Jodi took her glasses off when jury was out of the room, also slid them down to the tip of her nose like readers when sitting close - face to face with Cha Cha chatting. She made sure to get them back on fast when the jury was coming back in.

* I sat right behind her. I saw the "broken" finger in action. Her arms and fingers animate like, like a creature. That's the only way I can describe it.

* Her mother has lost weight and her hair is much longer. She and Jodi look so much alike now. Jodi's hair was cut straight across the back and actually a bit shorter than mom's.

* I sat right in front of @sneakyjuror and her friend. Saw BK working away with computer and a power strip and all - saw Jen (trial diaries), 13th juror, but failed to figure out anyone else. Very hard to listen, text, and try to watch the jurors all at the same time with an iPhone 5s.

* You cannot sit on the prosecution side; it's reserved for media, court personnel and Alexander Family. I tried. :-/

*The asthma lady who asked me to move, she and her friend have been there from day 1 of the first trial. They seem to know the Alexanders by now. I talked to them afterward and walked to my car with them. TA family parked in same lot. I did not talk to them - I know it was a long day and they were all dressed to the 9's and dignified. I CANNOT imagine if my own brother was murdered and having to sit there and listen to him being trashed over and over and over. Kudos to them.

* Jurors: Only 4 that I could say were "old" but they looked about my age. Can't say if that makes them more vulnerable to buying the DV angle. There are 3 fairly young women, one Travis-like guy, one good looking goatee guy, most are middle aged. I thought their questions were brilliant!!! They sometimes looked like they were taking notes, but they could have been doodling for all I know. Their attention waned at times; heads down, but so did everyones, even mine - sheesh I'm good at paying attention but I zoned out twice.

At other times they were really listening, a few leaning in a bit. They did not seem overly impressed with Dr. Geff today. He was Mr. Social and happy and chatty and personable when not testifying. But I don't think the jury liked him. I do not think they trust him. And after many of their questions, Geffner was uncomfortably silent before figuring out "how" to answer the question. It was obvious. I had to practice my game face HARD. I caught myself smiling when twice he seemed stunned that he had no answer and had to scramble. It was so obvious. So obvious. Great job jury.

* Texts: My 18 year old stepdaughter just said the other day she didn't want to tell a guy a certain something via text and she explained to me it's too easy to misinterpret and read something more into a text as opposed to in person!!! BINGO!!! Travis did text several women at the same time, same day, same period of time as well and it was flirty and sexual but also teasing. "When are we going to make a baby?" Could be a running joke between them who knows? Could be his way of wanting a relationship if she was LDS too - can't make a baby til married right?

Too many variables for ANYONE to put them on a big screen and try to interpret what a dead man meant in a text. It was just WRONG. Seemed like Travis liked to talk about marriage and babies. Did he do so to manipulate these women or were those things he was looking for while he was navigating "dating" as a 30 year old Mormon. Geff's interpretation as an old geezer means nothing. No amount of psych ed. can educate you on how to interpret texts. There are some pretty young ladies on the jury and I bet they get what I'm saying.

* Juan: powerful. There was a long stretch where he just sat there and let Wilmott and Geff go on and on with the same molestation, young boys, child *advertiser censored*, abuse of women story. His objections had been overruled but he doesn't give up. I think he did it to just let them hang themselves a bit. The more they went over it, the more desperate it started to sound - the more rehearsed and contrived - and the LESS it made sense. Maybe Juan is a jury whisperer, because the questions they asked made me think he was right. THEN - he broke 10 tackles, ran into the end zone and spiked the ball…by elaborating on the jurors' curiosity of why the only evidence of these nasty things is from Jodi only. He drove that point home with his final questions of Geff.

I'd say JW is a good attorney too. They sure have been dogged about this case - unrelenting. I saw her do her best with what she has to work with. She stays sharp on dates, times, names…

*Judge - WTF? OK listen. I was pretty shocked at what went on today. First, there is a lot of gum chewing and eating in court! Where I'm from, no way. I was a juror and knew many of the judges from school and they are strict on protocol. Next: the inability to cross examine these affidavit witnesses concerns me. Not NECESSARY. We have the technology to not show a person's face (remember the Kennedy rape blue dot?) and they can testify by video feed from anywhere or call in. Somehow everyone knows who "Witness 1" is anyway. Even Geff called him by name twice by accident.

What JSS set out to accomplish has been blown apart and in the process, so has justice. No doubt it felt like Travis was on trial. Character evidence cannot be used against a defendant, however the victim is fair game here. And letting Jodi testify in private?? WHAT? The reason for private witness testimony was because the witness was intimidated and afraid of harassment and death threats. None of that applies to Jodi so what is the real reason? That bothers me. Seriously.

OK, I need rest. Going to try and make it back tomorrow.

Does anyone know if I can get wifi in courtroom? iPad would be easier than phone!!! I'll bring it just in case.

Last thing my daughter asked: "Is she creepy in person?" Yes in the way she moved her arms and fingers all creature-like. No as to her looks. She is not tall, short legs and does look rather plain. If she was shopping next to me at Safeway I wouldn't notice her. It's just the freakish long fingers and arms and how she uses them. Then think about what she did to another human being and it's hard to wrap your head around. I prefer to focus on what next for her?

Thank you for your thoughts of yesterday's proceedings!

Summary of my afternoon in court:
* Thank God I have a keyboard to type on right now; I suck at texting so thank you for not getting irritated!

* Jodi took her glasses off when jury was out of the room, also slid them down to the tip of her nose like readers when sitting close - face to face with Cha Cha chatting. She made sure to get them back on fast when the jury was coming back in.

* I sat right behind her. I saw the "broken" finger in action. Her arms and fingers animate like, like a creature. That's the only way I can describe it.

* Her mother has lost weight and her hair is much longer. She and Jodi look so much alike now. Jodi's hair was cut straight across the back and actually a bit shorter than mom's.

* I sat right in front of @sneakyjuror and her friend. Saw BK working away with computer and a power strip and all - saw Jen (trial diaries), 13th juror, but failed to figure out anyone else. Very hard to listen, text, and try to watch the jurors all at the same time with an iPhone 5s.

* You cannot sit on the prosecution side; it's reserved for media, court personnel and Alexander Family. I tried. :-/

*The asthma lady who asked me to move, she and her friend have been there from day 1 of the first trial. They seem to know the Alexanders by now. I talked to them afterward and walked to my car with them. TA family parked in same lot. I did not talk to them - I know it was a long day and they were all dressed to the 9's and dignified. I CANNOT imagine if my own brother was murdered and having to sit there and listen to him being trashed over and over and over. Kudos to them.

* Jurors: Only 4 that I could say were "old" but they looked about my age. Can't say if that makes them more vulnerable to buying the DV angle. There are 3 fairly young women, one Travis-like guy, one good looking goatee guy, most are middle aged. I thought their questions were brilliant!!! They sometimes looked like they were taking notes, but they could have been doodling for all I know. Their attention waned at times; heads down, but so did everyones, even mine - sheesh I'm good at paying attention but I zoned out twice.

At other times they were really listening, a few leaning in a bit. They did not seem overly impressed with Dr. Geff today. He was Mr. Social and happy and chatty and personable when not testifying. But I don't think the jury liked him. I do not think they trust him. And after many of their questions, Geffner was uncomfortably silent before figuring out "how" to answer the question. It was obvious. I had to practice my game face HARD. I caught myself smiling when twice he seemed stunned that he had no answer and had to scramble. It was so obvious. So obvious. Great job jury.

* Texts: My 18 year old stepdaughter just said the other day she didn't want to tell a guy a certain something via text and she explained to me it's too easy to misinterpret and read something more into a text as opposed to in person!!! BINGO!!! Travis did text several women at the same time, same day, same period of time as well and it was flirty and sexual but also teasing. "When are we going to make a baby?" Could be a running joke between them who knows? Could be his way of wanting a relationship if she was LDS too - can't make a baby til married right?

Too many variables for ANYONE to put them on a big screen and try to interpret what a dead man meant in a text. It was just WRONG. Seemed like Travis liked to talk about marriage and babies. Did he do so to manipulate these women or were those things he was looking for while he was navigating "dating" as a 30 year old Mormon. Geff's interpretation as an old geezer means nothing. No amount of psych ed. can educate you on how to interpret texts. There are some pretty young ladies on the jury and I bet they get what I'm saying.

* Juan: powerful. There was a long stretch where he just sat there and let Wilmott and Geff go on and on with the same molestation, young boys, child *advertiser censored*, abuse of women story. His objections had been overruled but he doesn't give up. I think he did it to just let them hang themselves a bit. The more they went over it, the more desperate it started to sound - the more rehearsed and contrived - and the LESS it made sense. Maybe Juan is a jury whisperer, because the questions they asked made me think he was right. THEN - he broke 10 tackles, ran into the end zone and spiked the ball…by elaborating on the jurors' curiosity of why the only evidence of these nasty things is from Jodi only. He drove that point home with his final questions of Geff.

I'd say JW is a good attorney too. They sure have been dogged about this case - unrelenting. I saw her do her best with what she has to work with. She stays sharp on dates, times, names…

*Judge - WTF? OK listen. I was pretty shocked at what went on today. First, there is a lot of gum chewing and eating in court! Where I'm from, no way. I was a juror and knew many of the judges from school and they are strict on protocol. Next: the inability to cross examine these affidavit witnesses concerns me. Not NECESSARY. We have the technology to not show a person's face (remember the Kennedy rape blue dot?) and they can testify by video feed from anywhere or call in. Somehow everyone knows who "Witness 1" is anyway. Even Geff called him by name twice by accident.

What JSS set out to accomplish has been blown apart and in the process, so has justice. No doubt it felt like Travis was on trial. Character evidence cannot be used against a defendant, however the victim is fair game here. And letting Jodi testify in private?? WHAT? The reason for private witness testimony was because the witness was intimidated and afraid of harassment and death threats. None of that applies to Jodi so what is the real reason? That bothers me. Seriously.

OK, I need rest. Going to try and make it back tomorrow.

Does anyone know if I can get wifi in courtroom? iPad would be easier than phone!!! I'll bring it just in case.

Last thing my daughter asked: "Is she creepy in person?" Yes in the way she moved her arms and fingers all creature-like. No as to her looks. She is not tall, short legs and does look rather plain. If she was shopping next to me at Safeway I wouldn't notice her. It's just the freakish long fingers and arms and how she uses them. Then think about what she did to another human being and it's hard to wrap your head around. I prefer to focus on what next for her?

Hi there. Thank you for your diligent work. Were you tweeting live, also? One thing you said was news to me. Dr. Geffner named Marc McGee twice. That is fantastic. Do you recall at what point in questioning that was? That made my day as that takes the sting out of Juan doing it three or four times.

Great job!!!

:seeya: Good Morning, Y'all !

It's going to be an interesting day !

I know the majority here was happy about the jurors' Questions yesterday for Geffner.

So ... late last night, I took a look over at Lala Land and they did NOT like the jurors' Questions !

And there you have it ... lol !

Anyway ... cannot wait to see what :drama: there will be today !

:seeya:

Zippy....I second the thanks! Great description of her. Plain with creepy long arms and big hands that move creature-like....

Was particularly interested in hearing about Geff's telling pauses before answering questions, and your take that jurors were done with him before he was done with them. They must be so relieved he won't be back.

Thanks again.

Agree. Especially if there was a cut on that hand.

And with a struggle of any sort there would be multiple ways she could injure either hand. For example if he grabbed her dominant hand with the knife then she could have reached and took the knife with the other hand to begin stabbing him with the free hand. And knife could have cut either hand in the transfer.

Just so many variables I dont think a dominant hand indicates where an injury could occur during a violent attack.

It was mentioned that the jury would not know about her being left handed. That would be one of those "common knowledge" type things that even a person who is just basically familiar with this case could have picked up in the news. And I am not so sure it was or wasnt mentioned during this phase either.

And if she's scribbling away, per norm, they see for themselves that she's left-handed.

And I would counter "alleged" relationship. I don't believe, if there ever was an official relationship, that it lasted even 5 months.

I agree, plus if it weren't for the fact Travis talked to his friends about having sex with the murderer I would not believe that either.

Today I guess we find out who won the battle of (t)wits.
- JA probably wants to testify because she knows she can straighten everything out since it's all so clear to her.
- KN is begging her not to, saying better if she doesn't so she can't argue on appeal that she wasn't 'allowed' to by the judge.

I've been back and forth on this one, but I think she'll save it for allocution and the defense will rest this morning. It will probably be accompanied by final pleas/whining/motions to allow a secret trial so they can fully realize her mitigation or whatever the weird legalese is.

Overnight I posted a question and only got one addition to it. If they rest now, that means the defense case in the witness chair consisted only of the following:
- JA's partial testimony, which probably doesn't count much since she never got far and never got crossed.
- Dr F trashing Travis and making excuses for JA for endless hours.
- The secret witness with the visible face, who had a short stint in front of the jury and doesn't seem to factor into their thinking much if you can judge by jury questions.
- Dr G trashing Travis and making excuses for JA for endless hours.
- Flores mixed in there somewhere, though he certainly wasn't there to help the defense's case.

That's it - no one to corroborate all the second-hand testimony/hearsay that came in through F and G. It seemed from the jury questions that at least some of them are DYING for some sort of proof that anything F & G said is true. (FWIW the 13th juror said they want something tangible.) The whole defense case really comes down to believing JA, since about 95% in the weeks and weeks of F & G blabbering boils down to what JA told them through one means or another.

We always knew DP would be tough, since 11/12 isn't good enough. But because there's really no credible evidence to back up anything JA claims, the defense had little choice but to proceed as they did, which in 2+ months did little but waste jurors' time and taxpayers' money. Juan will kill it from here on out. Is it all good enough to get to 12/12? If not, then there was someone in there who was not going to vote for death even if JA got up and said "I planned it and carried it out because I was jealous as hell. And I enjoyed it too."

I honestly can't decide what I want more: Juan to start rebuttal case or JA to take stand. On one hand, Juan is so good, even at trial by tweet.

On the other, she was so bad at testifying last time.

Thoughts?

:seeya:

BBM: I agree ... she was horrible.

I think that she will testify again because this is her show and she runs the show :gaah:

JA knows this is her last chance to bash Travis :gaah: and I just don't see her missing that opportunity !

Juan will eat her alive and she knows this ... but she does not give a darn ... any chance to bash Travis is her goal :gaah:

:moo:

i have a question thats probably already been asked but..

if saint arias doesn't take the stand again to complete her testiphony will her previous testiphony be striken from being considered by the jury?

i said this last night,i'd love her to take the stand again for juan to rip her to shreds but could we all really put up with another 18days of it? :facepalm:

I just can't read him anymore.

What with the dubious post I was referring to earlier and then his post saying mummum was in her funeral veil when reading Jodi's card (when the evidence was a letter written on Travis' birthday over a month after his funeral), just....no.

I did notice he works at Mimi's Cafe. Is it the same one CMJA got fired from?

I agree. What's helpful about his posts is that they're a fuller account of what's happening than are tweets or BK's notes, and that they provide an unjaded perspective of a "regular' person.

But he's not the go-to for accuracy. He misses a lot of nuance in exchanges, and gets important details flat out wrong. I get that his slant is reporting as if he is a juror in this trial. Wish he would stick to that rather than to presume he speaks for this whole jury.

Zippy's reporting yesterday captured what most interested me....observations about how the jury was actually responding, and her own responses to what she was hearing and seeing in court.

Not sure what you read in Sanders' last that specifically bothered you. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kudo-magician179