Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 27, Part 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The state should be ashamed for the sentencing process. If the jurors couldn't have agreed on death than it should have automatically been life without parole. I guess Juan and the judge have no other cases that need serious attention. Juan is probably stalling on other cases which leave defendants in limbo while he drains our money on this sentencing phase. Attn Juan and The Judge: We need you sending people to jail and not spend a year on one person sentencing phase. Even if she gets death then we will have to hear from her for the next 20 years. Just for some college kid (who will then be Governor) commute her sentence to life 20 years from now. Good grief.

WTHeck? Did you read the statutes of the Great State of Arizona?

All expenses for Prosecutions witnesses are paid by the state... if somebody needs to change the flights and etc, the state will pay for it..
And for the DEFENSE ... let's not leave that out

In her journals, JA goes on about how she wants to start a t-shirt business. TA, trying to be supportive and get her employed so she could pay him back might have said, hey sounds like a plan, maybe I'll get some made for my blog...

Sky Hughes and TA had a tee shirt business

I guess ja wanted one too and called it

Paste a letter!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about if they have to spend a week? If the Bishop shows up tomorrow and can't testify due to more delays, there won't be any court until next Monday. So who pays for that? No wonder this trial is so expensive.

MOO

State pays for all defense and state witnesses for their stay in AZ for court cases. AZL may know better than me.

Thanks everyone for the posts--informative, witty, even sarcastic, just what I need before calling it a night.

It's becoming clearer to me now that Jodi has amplified this relationship in her mind even more than I thought before. I thought they did have a long distance thing and then broke up. I am so convinced now, especially after reading her letter and hearing Abe's testimony, that they were never official. It's all coming together now.

Jodi and Travis met, engaged in a flirtation, dated a little, but he seems to have definitively decided she wasn't the one. When she was in Cali she tried hard to get him to commit to her. He liked her but didn't want to take it further. She rationalized in her mind that the only reason he wouldn't committ to her and make her his girl was just to keep crazy Deanna happy. She was in a battle for his attention and devotion and was never worthy. She complained to the Hughes' to make him commit and they played along because they liked her before realizing they'd been had.

The goal was to make him get her to move there. Eventually he tells her it's never gonna happen so she just takes the initiative and moves there anyway, with great resistance from him. The rest of it was her finding ways to insinuate herself into his life, knowing she could always take advantage of his good nature. Can I keep my stuff in your garage? Can I use your car? Can I get some money? Can I get a ride? Oh, is this your bed? Where'd my clothes go? And it always felt like she was so close, so close to winning him. But it just wasn't going to happen.

She convinced herself that they were just on the DL, they were really together but had to keep it underground. But why would Travis do that? When he was with someone, he was with them. He made it known, they were together, he called her his girlfriend. Jodi never got this from him. I never saw any evidence that he held her in the same regard as Deanna or Lisa or Linda or any other girl. She was just another girl he got his rocks off with. And so she had to convince herself in her mind that it's just because she's more special. They were star crossed lovers. Never got the timing right. Travis did love her the most but there were people in his life that we're keeping him from her. So she had to drive a wedge between them. Still didn't work.

Travis should really have put up better boundaries because every time he slept with her it gave her a glimmer of hope. Her obsession with him was deep. All she wrote about, talked about, thought about, wanted was Travis. She had to make this go away because she was finding it impossible to move on. There was a journal entry that I believe encapsulates her need to kill Travis. It basically said there was something that needed to be cut off at its source, shut off like a light. This was Travis. She would only have freedom when he was gone. When Flores was grilling her, just before she changed her story to the ninjas, she's crying and seems close to confessing. "I had to move on."

What's happening now isn't so much hatred of Travis (though that's part of it) as it is a need to convince the world of what the truth of them was, of what she knows she and Travis were. She knew more about him than anyone. Was treated differently than anyone else. Meant more to him than anyone. Make her fantasy a reality in his death. She's done a darn good job too. And Travis isn't here to tell full truth of it and what she put him through.

BBM

Steady on, MeeBee, I almost feel sorry for her! *slaps self*

I do have a relative who is an atty. in Arizona....handles civil cases....he can't answer most of my questions...:facepalm:

I want to know why.....Sherry allowed the killer to testify in secret. That was unconstitutional. COA and Supremes shut her down. So, the killer got a days worth of testimony, free from cross exam and now, the jury won't even be told what that was all about?? Will they be thinking everything she said must be true? How is that fair to the taxpayers of Arizona? The judge screws up so the defendant gets a free pass?? When a judge does something so egregious, there should be some remedy for it. Besides waiting for the next time she's up for election! How many other trials will she influence with her incompetence before then?

JA testabaloney (for 1 1/2 days) should be covered in the jury instructions WHENever we get there. AND I agree JSS screwed up. Better question for the AZL thread.

JSS was not elected. She was appointed as far as I've read. She is UP for keeping her seat as a Superior Ct. Judge by the citizens of Maricopa County. Up to them to keep or reject her. I don't live there and have no say. I have enough to deal with with the wing nuts judges where I live in NM.

State pays for all defense and state witnesses for their stay in AZ for court cases. AZL may know better than me.

The only ones officially involved who don't get expenses paid are the victim's family I believe.

Ok, what is that DR is not comfortable in saying from an interview December 2011?

If she knew if TA was having sex with other women? What does that have to do with anything?

You may have seen an answer in your other reading since you posted this, but the gist of it is that JW is trying to say that Deanna lied in their interview with her about having had sex with Travis. She apparently replied "I don't know" to a question something like "Did you know Travis was having sex with women other than JA?"
ETA: I think my wording is poor here - The "other women" part seemed to be worded in such a way as to mean other than Deanna herself.

JW claims that makes Deanna a liar because she should have replied "Travis and I had sex."

Deanna claims she didn't lie and wants to hear the audio recording of the interview because she doesn't believe the transcript. Deanna wouldn't budge and JW got her panties all in a wad over it.

My gut feel is that it's going to boil down to semantics - the defense worded the question poorly/ambiguously and she answered honestly. I'm willing to bet that when all is said and done that the jury will see it Deanna's way.

Now JW is going to have to come back today and try to get only a snippet of the tape in while Deanna and Juan will argue that more is needed to establish context. In addition to having the exact wording of the question and answer, I'm willing to bet the tape shows that the DT was acting incredibly obnoxious and/or condescending to her.

At any rate, the stage is set for this to be all-out combat between Deanna and JW, whereas in the original trial Deanna more or less just answered KN's questions without ramping things up. I think she caught JW off-guard today.

BBM You know what, Steely. That may have been a blessing in disguise. At first I was angry it was kept out. But later on, after pondering the day in full, I think it might be a good thing.

If AA had said that comment, which was pretty over the top, then the DT could basically say 'any proof' of that? It sounds like you are trying to make her look bad. And it might be seen as him sliming her. So it was maybe better if he took a more moderate approach, in which it didn't look like he was show boating or trashing her. ---just telling the facts about their date.

In the big picture, it does not really matter. they still got that she was stepping out with guys and talking with guys, even while the DT tried to slime TA for doing the same thing.

And he also got it in the jurors minds that he never committed to her at all in 2007, and AA kept telling her that TA was not into her. LOL I loved hearing that.

Kind of pours cold water on all of her talk about him begging her to marry him. LOL

From what we could tell by tweet, I think Juan missed an opportunity here that may have helped the defense a little. (Shields up!)

I think what JW was trying to paint was:
- Abe was after JA bigtime.
- Abe practically tried to rape her once.
- Travis wanted to kick Abe's butt for doing that to his gf.

I don't think that worked because of timing among other things, but Juan could have cleared it up by asking Abe if when he put his hand down her pants whether that seemed to turn JA on and whether she was enticing him to continue. That would have given the effect of the "magic thong" line it seems to me. (Shields down.)

Those PPL events require RSVP's iirc, so there must be a record somewhere. My question is, who did she get the invite to sit in the executive row from if she didn't even know TA yet at that point? A grifter is an even more fitting title for JA than golddigger and I think that's what TA was finally figuring out when he wrote that article, it was a mere 8 days later when they had that nasty messaging fight and then only another 9 days before JA murdered him:

http://travisalexander.blogspot.com.au/
"Sunday, May 18, 2008
Why I want to marry a Gold Digger
"

More from TA's May 18, 2008 blog post (his last), reflecting on turning 30:

"Around then I realized it was time to adjust my priorities and date with marriage in mind. Not to ask some one on a date because I planned on marrying them, but to date someone to look for the possibility of marriage with them. This type of dating to me is like a very long job interview and can be exponentially more mentally taxing. Desperately trying to find out if my date has an axe murderer penned up inside of her and knowing she is wondering the same thing about me"

It's becoming clearer to me now that Jodi has amplified this relationship in her mind even more than I thought before. I thought they did have a long distance thing and then broke up. I am so convinced now, especially after reading her letter and hearing Abe's testimony, that they were never official. It's all coming together now.

Jodi and Travis met, engaged in a flirtation, dated a little, but he seems to have definitively decided she wasn't the one. When she was in Cali she tried hard to get him to commit to her. He liked her but didn't want to take it further. She rationalized in her mind that the only reason he wouldn't committ to her and make her his girl was just to keep crazy Deanna happy. She was in a battle for his attention and devotion and was never worthy. She complained to the Hughes' to make him commit and they played along because they liked her before realizing they'd been had.

The goal was to make him get her to move there. Eventually he tells her it's never gonna happen so she just takes the initiative and moves there anyway, with great resistance from him. The rest of it was her finding ways to insinuate herself into his life, knowing she could always take advantage of his good nature. Can I keep my stuff in your garage? Can I use your car? Can I get some money? Can I get a ride? Oh, is this your bed? Where'd my clothes go? And it always felt like she was so close, so close to winning him. But it just wasn't going to happen.

She convinced herself that they were just on the DL, they were really together but had to keep it underground. But why would Travis do that? When he was with someone, he was with them. He made it known, they were together, he called her his girlfriend. Jodi never got this from him. I never saw any evidence that he held her in the same regard as Deanna or Lisa or Linda or any other girl. She was just another girl he got his rocks off with. And so she had to convince herself in her mind that it's just because she's more special. They were star crossed lovers. Never got the timing right. Travis did love her the most but there were people in his life that we're keeping him from her. So she had to drive a wedge between them. Still didn't work.

Travis should really have put up better boundaries because every time he slept with her it gave her a glimmer of hope. Her obsession with him was deep. All she wrote about, talked about, thought about, wanted was Travis. She had to make this go away because she was finding it impossible to move on. There was a journal entry that I believe encapsulates her need to kill Travis. It basically said there was something that needed to be cut off at its source, shut off like a light. This was Travis. She would only have freedom when he was gone. When Flores was grilling her, just before she changed her story to the ninjas, she's crying and seems close to confessing. "I had to move on."

What's happening now isn't so much hatred of Travis (though that's part of it) as it is a need to convince the world of what the truth of them was, of what she knows she and Travis were. She knew more about him than anyone. Was treated differently than anyone else. Meant more to him than anyone. Make her fantasy a reality in his death. She's done a darn good job too. And Travis isn't here to tell full truth of it and what she put him through.

WOW. FANTASTIC post.

Even though today is a half day of trial, I think we will here from the Pastor after they are done with Deanna. Juan will be quick and to the point with her. On the other hand <modsnip> Wilmont will try to drag this on and try to mislead the court. Epic mistake. When the Pastor finally gets his turn, if Wilmont tries dirty tactics with him, the jury will certainly be disgusted with her. If she attacks a Pastor they will be outraged. The defense and their witnesses have already shown their true, filthy colors. Not gonna be pretty for them. I think the jury knows that the defense team is trying to deceive them about any truth that Juan and his witness brings forth and in my opinion the jury is insulted and ready to finish this out until the very end. Nothing will stop them from continuing on. They are fully vested in getting the truth and there is no truth in this dispicable defense.
Their worst nightmare of being scrutinized is already coming to light. How the defense thinks their dirty tactics are going to win with lies and deceit is purely mind boggling, but they continue on the same path. Stupid is as stupid does.

Added Marc Mcgees lying affidavit did them much harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re Abe's testimony imo: JW didn't refute Abe's contention that JA initiated most their email/phone conversations. JW didn't contest their 10-15 make-out session occured during a time when JA testified she was having sex with TA. JW didn't refute AA's contention that he repeatedly cautioned JA, based on her continued complaints about TA's failure to commit (at a time JA testified they were "official"), that Travis didn't seem to be as into her as she was with him. JW didn't challenge AA's testimony that JA sought and received PPL advice from AA for an extended period of time. Despite the no-strings advice AA helpfully offered JA, she repaid him by lying about him to TA and creating enmity where none was due.

Michael K. Jeanes, Clerk of Court
*** Electronically Filed ***
01/28/2015 8:00 AM

01/26/2015

TRIAL MINUTE ENTRY
DAY THIRTY-TWO

LET THE RECORD REFLECT that on 1/22/15 Exhibits 391-395, 397, 399-406, 408-
410, 420, 431-440, 463, 481, 506, 507, 559-561, 563, 568, 600, 623, 624, 633, 645, 646, 648-
652, 655, 680, 687-704, 706-709, 731-733, 738, 740, 741, 758, 761-786, 786.001, 787-801, 242,
242.001, 242.002 and 233 were temporarily released to Defense and returned this date.
LET THE RECORD REFLECT that on 1/22/15 Exhibits 238, 438, 534, 547, 550, 540,
245, 572, 466, 468, 465, 485, 631, 736, 815-821, 824, 826, 827, 832, 833, 834, 828, 829 and 831
were temporarily released to the State and returned this date....

Dr. Robert Geffner, having previously been sworn, testifies further.
State’s Exhibit 835 is marked for identification.
The State offers State’s Exhibit 835 and it is admitted in evidence.
State’s Exhibits 836-838 are marked for identification.
The State offers State’s Exhibit 836 and it is admitted in evidence.
The State offers State’s Exhibit 837 and it is admitted in evidence.
The State offers State’s Exhibit 838 and it is admitted in evidence....

State’s Exhibit 839 is marked for identification...

Defense Exhibits 840-844 are marked for identification.
Defense offers Defense Exhibit 840 but it is not admitted in evidence....

The Defense offers Defense Exhibit 843.
LET THE RECORD REFLECT Exhibit 843 is split into 843, 843.001, 843.002 and
IT IS ORDERED Defense Exhibits 843, 843.001 and 843.002 are admitted in evidence...

The Defense offers Defense Exhibit 843.003 and it is admitted in evidence.
The Defense offers Defense Exhibit 800 and it is admitted in evidence...

The Defense offers Defense Exhibit 841 and it is admitted in evidence.
The Defense offers Defense Exhibit 842 and it is admitted in evidence.
The Defense offers Defense Exhibit 844 and it is admitted in evidence..
LET THE RECORD REFLECT the Court has received questions from the Jury. Same is
discussed by Court and counsel and some will be asked of the witness...

The juror questions are asked of the witness.
Filed: Juror Questions (25)
Dr. Robert Geffner testifies further.
The witness steps down...

7:01 p.m. Court stands at recess until 1/27/15 at 9:30 a.m. in this division.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/012015/m6670266.pdf

Re Abe's testimony imo: JW didn't refute Abe's contention that JA initiated most their email conversations. JW didn't contest their 10-15 make-out session occured during a time when JA testified she was having sex with TA. JW didn't refute AA's contention that he repeatedly cautioned JA, based on her continued complaints about TA's failure to commit (at a time JA testified they were "official"), that Travis didn't seem to be as into her as she was with him. JW didn't challenge AA's testimony that JA sought and received PPL advice from AA for an extended period of time. Despite the no-strings advice AA helpfully offered JA, she repaid him by lying about him to TA and creating enmity where none was due.

I agree with you, but I bet what JW would argue through her rose-colored glasses is that she showed Abe was the one who: initiated all the phone calls, got overly active with JA sexually, kept telling her to drop Travis (either because he wanted her for himself or because he knew she was Travis's dirty little secret), and knew Travis could be violent (yeah I know he wanted to kick my butt).

I don't know that it amounted to much, but in this case I thought she actually did about as good a job as could have been done. With Deanna on the other hand....

IMO, the DT didn't put up this big of a fight during the GUILT phase.

I don't think he was allowed to say, the DT and JSS disallowed his testimony about her saying she had "magic" in her panties when he commented on her thong, her manipulation of TA, and he wasn't allowed to talk about her "dabbling" in Mormonism either iirc.

What he did get out according to the tweets, was that he was able to just slide his hands down inside her pants and that they carried on passionately for 10-15 minutes before he pulled back(they were in a parking lot...).

Hi! Yes I realise that, but the jury didn't know. It still surprised me nobody on the jury wondered about her reaction, though. Like I said, the question wouldn't have been asked and then (if I were on the jury), I would wonder why not.

They just made him sound like a dirty old codger with not allowing the "magic" in. All right to make him look bad but we can't diss the sanctity of CMJA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79