Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious, et al.:
Must admit, I am also a little sorry to hear the PT is resting. But JM did a masterful job of swatting down every one of the “mitigating factors” (+ prosecutorial misconduct) raised by the DT; and, as I understand it, that’s as far as JM needs to take it.

During the guilt phase, JM had to prove guilt and cruelty. During sentencing, LKN has to prove the DT’s list of mitigators, right? I may be blowing smoke out my a$$, but that’s the way my pea-brain understands it. IMO, JM did his job.

I think it was fine that Juan kept his portion short and sweet. Juan's main ammunition is the gruesome murder. He does not need to go off on too many tangents. He needed to combat the computer *advertiser censored* accusations and the bogus prosecutorial misconduct krap, so he is bringing in the 3 computer experts. But I don't think he needs to bring in all these extra witnesses to JA's evilness. I think his closing argument will be strong enough to hit that home.

Wasn't suggesting he bring in testimonies to JA's evil. Although that's fine. I wanted him to bring in friends who would attest to Travis's goodness. All this jury has heard is how Travis was two timing, a gigolo, a user, an abuser, and deviant sexual person. As if he deserved his death. Wrong on so many levels!! I would have liked to see Juan clean up Travis's name for heavens sake!!

I think it was fine that Juan kept his portion short and sweet. Juan's main ammunition is the gruesome murder. He does not need to go off on too many tangents. He needed to combat the computer *advertiser censored* accusations and the bogus prosecutorial misconduct krap, so he is bringing in the 3 computer experts. But I don't think he needs to bring in all these extra witnesses to JA's evilness. I think his closing argument will be strong enough to hit that home.

Absolutely. The DT's closing won't be about the murder because they can't go there. Their mitigation is all about the unsaid....that Travis deserved to die.

JM can and will focus on the murder. And her lack of remorse. Its a stronger narrative, not least because it has the power of truth.

Wasn't suggesting he bring in testimonies to JA's evil. Although that's fine. I wanted him to bring in friends who would attest to Travis's goodness. All this jury has heard is how Travis was two timing, a gigolo, a user, an abuser, and deviant sexual person. As if he deserved his death. Wrong on so many levels!! I would have liked to see Juan clean up Travis's name for heavens sake!!

Curious, I believe he already has. And will again, with great vehemence, in his closing.

I think she already has. I remember Nurmi objecting one day to some of her answers. I don't know if the jury has gotten them yet, though. Perhaps the judge had her write them answer them in chambers with a court reporter. Maybe they'll send the answers back with the evidence.

I don't think that's possible without JSKS violating the COA's clear order to unseal those proceedings.

I saw nothing about juror questions in the transcripts she ordered released after being slapped down.

Curious, I believe he already has. And will again, with great vehemence, in his closing.
Hope, I really do pray you are right about this. I didn't see the trial. Only read the tweets. The jury is a collective group of rational people. The crime was horrific. But the defense has battered them with horror stories of Travis. The defense got away with it. JSS did her part in assisting the defense in some strange ways. Juan seems tired. We will see. I know he has other cases to fight for. I think the jury needs to know who Travis was and how much he was loved. I disagree with someone who said Deanna brought that in. she was trashed too. The jury will remember all those things the defense said and no one has countered it in detail. IMO. If she gets life, this will be why.

I don't think that's possible without JSKS violating the COA's clear order to unseal those proceedings.

I saw nothing about juror questions in the transcripts she ordered released after being slapped down.

Part of me wants her forced back on the stand.
Part of me wants her to STFU forever.

Oh, thanks Shady.

Now wouldn't that be something if he located massive deletions of nudie photos on that phone?

Were they ever able to put her broken hard drive back together and access all of the data in it?

If I have it right from BK notes, don't expect anything new from Dworkin testimony. JSS asked JM the scope of his questions. JM replied that his questions of Dworkin would be limited to the same material covered in his original interview with Dworkin and/or brought out in the guilt phase .

Imo what JM is going for is to have the defense's own expert say on the record that he too never looked for viruses or *advertiser censored* url's etc.

Should they also be removing anyone that has said anything bad about Juan outside on court? Donovan??? And others.

The whole thing is ridiculous, IMO.

People have a right to express their opinions, whether we like them or not.

Nurmi wasn't trying to press any kind of charges that I could see...he just wanted to push his hefty weight around and have them removed from the courtroom. I loved that JSS said wait until after court, we aren't keeping the jury waiting for this.

IIRC, the judge said JA must answer the three questions and the SC upheld the COA. JA must answer them in court I believe.

IIRC, JSS ruled the questions for JA would not be answered and that they would be sealed. I thought she made that ruling in the last couple of weeks.

I remember Nurmi objecting to her answers in court one day on the day the questions for her from the jury was brought up. I'll try and find the tweet.

Since she won't be testifying again, I think the judge has chosen not to order her to get on the stand.

I agree, but he also looks as if he is trying not to burst out laughing. That is how ridiculous all this chit is, IMO.

Yah, both. I'm hoping the look was after he told Nurmi he was calling their man Dworkin to use against them.

The problem with that is that anyone he brings in gets exposed to the DT's slime highway. Anything they have ever said or done gets trotted out to the jury too. It can easily turn into a big muddy mess. Lots of his friends have their own skeletons in the closet. Or have done questionable media interviews. Or have made offhand comments about TA that could be misconstrued or twisted.

I don't think Juan wanted to take any chances. He just wants to finish this trial before the jurors start dropping out. JMO

IIRC, the judge said JA must answer the three questions and the SC upheld the COA. JA must answer them in court I believe.

Agreed; I don't see how JSKS seals them without violating the AZ constitution (yet again).

If it happens it's going to happen in open court.

Tryiing to follow tweets today but don't understand ... Is Nurmi going to call Geffner and Fonseca back to the stand.:tantrum:

She said she wouldn't but she still has
1) Juror questions (which should open the door for JM to cross her on those IIRC)
2) Allocution (sic?) where she will spew her (actual) mitigation factors which might include one sentence of how she wished his family and friends weren't feeling bad because she murdered Travis.

MOO

I think AZL has said that JM will have the right to cross her during allocution if she tries to bring in new "evidence."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper