Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AZlawyer, please help me understand the process. If the judges rule in favor of a stay, when will they hear oral argument to open the courtroom to the public?

and, AZ, could they make a decision on the whole thing now - i.e. opening up the courtroom - or just the stay?

AZL....what exactly will the AC evaluate in order to reach a decision? For example, do they examine the factual basis for any of N's claims of death threats, etc? Do they need to know which witnesses and to hear their actual requests for closed court?

Or are they dealing in legal abstracts only.. rights vs harm, etc.? As a court are they institionally inclined to side with the presiding judge unless swayed otherwise?

Thanks...

Right now, they're only deciding whether to declare a halt to the secret testimony (the "stay" request) pending their decision on the actual question before them (the "please reopen the court" request). It's possible that they will say no to the stay request, because ultimately the public will get to see the transcript if they say yes to the "please reopen the court" request. So there is no permanent harm to the public's right to know to refuse the stay request.

I hope they issue the stay, though. ;)

There were other expert witnesses who testified for the defense who didn't get ridiculed and mocked on social media and HLN, iirc. The guy with the milk mustache who testified that the bullet couldn't have gone through TA's brain because of the typo in Dr. Horn's report? I can't remember his name, but he was not on the stand babbling nonsense for days on end and he wasn't evasive and argumentive when Juan Martinez questioned him. So not all expert defense witnesses are in mortal danger from internet people. Just the really, really awful ones.

Right. It's essentially punishing the State because JM destroyed their 3rd tier experts on the stand, and the DT asking for a consolation prize to not be ridiculed again in public.

@monicalindstrom: That was a good point. #nurmi said he gets threats often and media pointed out he’s still alive &working so r threats worrisome? #jodiarias

I haven't read all the posts, so this may have been answered, but I'll ask anyway. Can anyone tell me why KN said "we've already lost two jurors" ?
My guess is his argument was so weak, he HAD to say something.

I am wonderingif maybe he actually wanted to lose.

Thanks for the welcome, everybody :toast: Greetings from chilly London.

My opinion on this whole closed court nonsense: FREE press, PUBLIC justice, OPEN court. Even more so in a death penalty case. This is dangerous.
If Jodi doesn't want to testify: Diddums. She was quite happy to stick her face (and everything else) in front of every camera available before now.

If Nurmi doesn't want criticism: Diddums. It's your job. You're getting paid for it. Suck it up.

If an expert witness doesn't want to testify: Diddums. You get PAID for expert testimony. It should be open to public scrutiny.

YEP YEP all that. And WELCOME

Exactly, these two were exposed. They were horrible, argumentative, evasive, and after awhile I don't think they even knew what they were talking about, Alyce displayed such a clear adoration of Jodi -- I would not, and don't, trust one ounce of her testimony. And that was all her -Alyce- fault.
Too late now Alyce.

And their diagnosis/opinion/testimony was based on Jodi's lies.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the judges room right now lol. I always wonder how judges talk to each other whe deliberating. Are they formal with each other or do they start their discussions kind of informal.

I have that Monty Python "Judges" skit in my head now! Oh dear!

Thanks for the welcome, everybody :toast: Greetings from chilly London.

My opinion on this whole closed court nonsense: FREE press, PUBLIC justice, OPEN court. Even more so in a death penalty case. This is dangerous.
If Jodi doesn't want to testify: Diddums. She was quite happy to stick her face (and everything else) in front of every camera available before now.

If Nurmi doesn't want criticism: Diddums. It's your job. You're getting paid for it. Suck it up.

If an expert witness doesn't want to testify: Diddums. You get PAID for expert testimony. It should be open to public scrutiny.

You are cracking me up (and everything else). I finally found out what bullocks (sic?) meant (like in Nurmi's pleas to the court today) but you must tell us what "diddums" means (please).

Being a survivor of domestic violence, this woman had me foaming at the mouth. I wanted to crawl in through the tv to snatch her by her hair and say "Wake the Hell Up!!!"
She only had CMJA "word" on the violence.

Being a survivor of domestic violence myself, I can totally relate, Lyric.

She made me so angry I couldn't see straight. :mad: She really mocked the abuse Travis really went through with JA and trivializing it as if it was nothing when she saw what JA did to Travis. The very fact that she slaughtered him is proof he had every right to be fearful. It was Travis who fit the profile of a domestic violence victim to a tee but oh no, JA was/is a victim.

Right off the bat she let her biases be known and she is 100% a man hater. She wouldn't even admit that Travis had felt fearful when he knew JA was stalking him/slashing his tires but ohhhhhhhhhh if it had been in reverse she would have pounced with both feet to take up for the one being stalked. Well that is........as long as it was a female being stalked.

And her courtroom antics made me gag. She truly was one of the most immature, rude, snide witnesses, I have ever seen, and to call herself an expert witness was even worse. Imo, she was no expert. In fact any DV survivor could have done a better job. To this day I don't understand why JSS didn't call her on being non-responsive and rude. She should have done it each and every time but she didn't and ALV became more and more of a bully to JM. And then she wonders why she got so much backlash from TRUE DV survivors about her illogical opinions. I hope Juan eats her for lunch again. I know he is prepared to take her down a notch even lower than he took her last time.

And the things she found as abusive were plain stupid when it came to Travis.. If Travis batted his eyelashes wrong she would have said it was abuse. Uggggh.

Aren't the taxpayers, the public, of Arizona paying for JAs defense? Thus, paying any experts that KN can find to defend his client? And, paying the DT's salaries?

I haven't read all the posts, so this may have been answered, but I'll ask anyway. Can anyone tell me why KN said "we've already lost two jurors" ?

One juror was dismissed for personal reasons (iirc) and one was dismissed for approaching the reporter Beth Karas and asking her if she was Nancy Grace. :facepalm:

Not me, even pedophiles and child molesters deserve a fair trial. We cannot have justice, or democracy if the worst of the worst dont receive fair trials and attorneys to defend them. Defense attorneys while the most hated, are some of the most ardent supporters of our constitution, of our society. KN, well I think he just doesnt have the heart for this line of work. He received gastric bypass right after the trial probably because he was being ridiculed for his weight. So we know he takes ridicule to heart.

Sure, someone's gotta represent these kinds of people, but the way KN does it is sickening.

Aren't the taxpayers, the public, of Arizona paying for JAs defense? Thus, paying any experts that KN can find to defend his client? And, paying the DT's salaries?

-------
Yes they are! if I lived there I'd be having a fit!!!:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member