Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm outraged. More people should be outraged! Public justice & open courts were enforced to safeguard the right of ALL parties involved. You cannot conduct justice - "public' justice - behind closed doors! ESPECIALLY in a death penalty case! Fecking hell, it's the STATE vs Jodi Arias. Not JSS & the Select Few vs Jodi Arias. The State is the people - the taxpayers. This isn't Eastern Europe during the Cold War. BOLLOCKS!!

I'm outraged. More people should be outraged! Public justice & open courts were enforced to safeguard the right of ALL parties involved. You cannot conduct justice - "public' justice - behind closed doors! ESPECIALLY in a death penalty case! Fecking hell, it's the STATE vs Jodi Arias. Not JSS & the Select Few vs Jodi Arias. The State is the people - the taxpayers. This isn't Eastern Europe during the Cold War. BOLLOCKS!!

Exactly. The presence of the press and the public ensure that defendants receive fair trials. We haven't actually got torches and pitchforks, though some people may tweet as though we do.

Exactly. The presence of the press and the public ensure that defendants receive fair trials. We haven't actually got torches and pitchforks, though some people may tweet as though we do.

Oh, torches & pitchforks, my hiney. We're scrutinising the ultimate form of justice - the DP - as it SHOULD be scrutinised. You cannot hand down this kind of sentence upon someone behind closed doors. And if you murder someone - you should stand up in front of the public (and the FREE press), who are paying for your sorry *advertiser censored*, and explain yourself.

MOO....

There is no presumption of innocence anymore. She is a convicted Murderer.

Which is the main reason I don't get why she was able to win super-secret testimony and a pile of sealed orders and court rulings. Makes absolutely no sense to me. sigh

AZ (and others)

Do you think the message to JSS (and Nurmi) today from the COA will stop the antics of sealing everything up or just the secret testimony? Can the sealed sidebars be released once the trial is over?

I think JSS will be more careful about secrecy moving forward, but I doubt she'll go back and revisit her old rulings, and judging from today's post-appellate court ruling sidebar, the sidebars will stay secret at least until after trial is done.

I feel like I should know this, but what about if we run out of alternates, and there aren't enough jurors? Mistrial? Or do over?

Mistrial. But I think (I haven't researched this) that unless the mistrial is the prosecution's fault there could still be a do-over. Now the people of Arizona might not want to PAY for another do-over, and the Alexanders might be reluctant to torture themselves a third time, so it's possible at that point that the State would just drop the DP.

Could you IMAGINE if JM wanted I don't know, deanna to testify under a sealed testimony in complete secrecy to say whatever she wanted about CMJA regardless of whether it was true, was free to testify to it. I can't even imagine the temper tantrum CMJA would have.

KCL posted last week that she had word from an "insider" that HLN was pulling out of coverage of the trial... for good...

I find JSS's lack of confidence infuriating, so many strange decisions, so many delays ...

And what happened to Maria for her juvenile/?illegal? participation in secretly passing JA's ?artwork? to spectators in the courtroom, IIRC? TIA

I'm guessing that it's the DT thumbing their nose at the prosecution who will largely not ask for a mistrial.

KCL posted last week that she had word from an "insider" that HLN was pulling out of coverage of the trial... for good...

and not a single word about this trial all day that I have seen

I think this case will be used in Arizona for new judges on "how not to preside over criminal courts" LONG after CMJA goes off to"college" jmo

Well, I would probably be a bit frustrated. Being a juror is not always fun, especially all the red tape BS.
Not sure if being frustrated would sway their decision.

Well we know from the Casey Anthony trial the Pinellas 12 had major frustration regarding their "inconvenience" which led to them rushing the verdict so they could just go home (and swim in pretty swimming pools remember?? Eyeroll ...) so yes these sorts of things do affect juries. They shouldn't but sadly they do.

I wonder why they would stop coverage because i think the jodi arias show increases ratings

I think JSS will be more careful about secrecy moving forward, but I doubt she'll go back and revisit her old rulings, and judging from today's post-appellate court ruling sidebar, the sidebars will stay secret at least until after trial is done.

Mistrial. But I think (I haven't researched this) that unless the mistrial is the prosecution's fault there could still be a do-over. Now the people of Arizona might not want to PAY for another do-over, and the Alexanders might be reluctant to torture themselves a third time, so it's possible at that point that the State would just drop the DP.

If, indeed, that were to happen, it would be a pyrrhic victory for the defence. Big, sad, empty deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez