Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, I can't see that...because those folks should never have been impaneled.
I've had some private conversations with some jurors but don't feel comfortable disclosing the specifics. It's my impression that the split was not as clean as it seems at 8/4

I am sure he wanted her for the sex but I'm also sure she wanted him to need her for the sex. It was the one thing that only she could give him - kinky sex. And that, gave her more power over him than he ever had over her.

Which of course she exploited as we heard in some messages where she was talking about moving on to a new boyfriend but ya know, she'd miss the kink or whatever word she used (translation: you will miss it with me and never get it again...)

I have explained too many times on this thread. Concern or nosiness? Juan will make sure it's taken care of anyway.
People tweet, text, email, etc. but human decency in friendship would demand going to a friend in person and discussing such a private matter. Then if the person dies, you dont have some insane, sick defense attorney going through your emails and wreaking havoc of your life! That seems to be a concept lost on people today. No need trying to explain it anymore. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

I would be willing to bet that any person who dies whose death is subject to inquiry by a defense attorney at a trial would have things in their life history that could be used against them...rightfully or not. It is easy to twist and misconstrue and take things out of context. I really believe the Hughes stepped in trying to get Travis to change his ways not because they feared he was abusive or because they had seen him be abusive in the past, but because he was not a kid anymore and in their view playing the field was something that should come to an end by a certain age. Part of that was they knew he wanted to eventually marry and part was his religion wanting him to marry. Sky and Chris wanted TA to either commit to JA or cut loose because they felt it was not fair to lead her on if he had no intention of taking it seriously. But not long after, their concern became for his rather than her welfare, for obvious reasons. IOW, I do not think they were being nosy or butting in in the sense that is usually seen...I think it was out of concern for what they saw as inappropriate behavior for a Mormon male approaching age 30. IMO.

I hope we see them on the stand explaining their motives, though. I think the jury has a right to hear from the authors of the emails what they meant.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 30s31 seconds ago
Expert- This causes long term damage to ones self esteem when they are closeted and hide #jodiarias #3tvarias

To me this is typical pop psychology. Focussing on the supposed damage and reaction but never, ever, on the free agency of the responder. Bring out the violin.

Which of course she exploited as we heard in some messages where she was talking about moving on to a new boyfriend but ya know, she'd miss the kink or whatever word she used (translation: you will miss it with me and never get it again...)

...right, you know, because all those other Mormons aren't good in bed!! :floorlaugh:

To me this is typical pop psychology. Focussing on the supposed damage and reaction but never, ever, on the free agency of the responder. Bring out the violin.

My siblings and I suffered physical and emotional abuse at the hands (and words) of our stepmother. It set my sister up to be vulnerable to a sociopath. It had different impacts on all of us. But none of us three became violent, in fact we set out to heal ourselves which I suspect is a high percentage of the case and ironically keeps these fauxperts like ALV and this nitwit in business. Frauds. Betraying their own population who put food on their table. Unconscienable. (sp?)

Because her only reason for converting was to snag Travis. I don't think she practices Mormonism anymore. Pretty sure they would've ex-communicated her. Murder is worse than adultery.

Converting to get a young man or a young woman is not that uncommon. Mormons are very serious about premarital sex. If anybody is interested, they can look at these comments from their Prophets and Apostles. Not a Mormon friendly site but the quotes are true. Just a bit of perspective on Mormon chastity. Missionaries/ returned missionaries or members that have been endowed in the temple are held (usually, there are exceptions) to a higher standard than new converts who have not been to the temple yet. A person makes special covenants with God there. TA had already lost his temple recommend due to premarital sex with Deanna. I do not know if he was found worthy to be issued one again, but the pressure must have been enormous when he slipped up with JA. A member must keep a temple recommend in order to be admitted into the highest level of Heaven, the Celestial Kingdom. IMO, if there any Mormons on the jury, they might be more judgmental towards TA than persons not of their faith.

"Better Dead and Clean than Alive and Unclean

It may be hard for nonmembers to comprehend just how serious Mormons consider my sin [sex outside of marriage] to be. Former prophet Spencer W. Kimball said that “[e]ven mortal life itself, when placed upon the balance scales, weighs less than chastity.” In his 1969 book, Miracle of Forgiveness, President Kimball quoted two other Mormon prophets: David O. McKay said, “Your virtue is worth more than your life. Please, young folk, preserve your virtue even if you lose your lives” (not at all a pleasant thing to believe for rape victims who are overpowered but not killed); and Heber J. Grant said, “There is no true Latter-day Saint who would not rather bury a son or a daughter than to have him or her lose his or her chastity” (both quotes on p. 63). Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, in the 1966 version of his classic Mormon Doctrine, put it bluntly: “Better dead clean, than alive unclean. Many is the faithful Latter-day Saint parent who has sent a son or daughter on a mission or otherwise out into the world with the direction, ‘I would rather have you come back home in a pine box with your virtue than return alive without it.’” (p. 124)

Nicole Goodman Esq @msesquirette · 2m 2 minutes ago
#JodiArias Dr. F keeps droning on and on. Travis and Jodi wouldn't see the warning signs because they both came from abusive homes

Aaaah, babes in the woods. But one had a knife and a gun.

Just checking in but reading tweets throughout the day. All I have to say is I've been treated like **** when I was young & naive. An A-hole, heck yes, and it does not mean he was an "abuser". I walked away from it, I didn't butcher the guy.
3-hole wonder :giggle: Forgot about that!

Gotta love this JM-ism: "In their rush to sensationalize (deletion carp) they tripped over the truth . " (paraphrasing a tad since I can't cut and paste).

Ugh, I find her just obnoxious! Why do they pretend to be "friends" if his behavior is so morally repellent to them? And "not allowing" people to date each other- what a control freak. I am sorry- but this is not a healthy friendship. Travis probably only put up with it because it would damage his career otherwise.

This has always bothered me. :(

I'm starting to wonder now... But it couldn't be, could it? Could JA really have been that diabolical? Did she start planning the destruction of his life and reputation in may? As in - did she sent him a virus that would result in *advertiser censored* being found on his computer after death - and the police WOULD have checked - to destroy his reputation? But then after the police got to the deleted photos got scared that they might trace the *advertiser censored* back to her and had them deleted? But then - her attorneys wouldn't help her with that right? That'd be unethical!

I'm overthinking things again.. She couldn't have. THEY couldn't have. Could they?

I don’t think (I hope) the original DT had nothing to do with altering these files on purpose.

IMO, she planted the virus (as JM’s response implies). IMO, TA's "worst thing that ever happened to me" email (on May 26th) centered around far more than an email/text/FB hack. (She'd pulled that garbage plenty of times before.)

From TA’s response, she threatened to hurt him to the core. IMO, the sex-call recording was part of it, maybe the first step. When he blasted back, she had something far more diabolical up her sleeve: leave "proof" on his computer that he was into *advertiser censored*/kiddie *advertiser censored*. And before she left Yreka, she had already proven her power to do just that (planting the viruses).

I'm sure their last conversations were heated re: her planting of the viruses. Maybe THAT’s why he let her into his home … “I promise to bring a disc that will get rid of the viruses (resulting in the broken CD when TA found out that was BS). And … we’ll take pix/video PROVING you’re not into kids or *advertiser censored*, ‘cuz you can have ME anytime.”

I don’t know. I’m as confused as anyone else who has tried to figure out JA’s twisted mind.

Gotta love this JM-ism: "In their rush to sensationalize (deletion carp) they tripped over the truth . " (paraphrasing a tad since I can't cut and paste).

Troy Hayden @troyhaydenfox10 · 2h 2 hours ago

"In their haste to sensationalize the issue, counsel tripped over the truth." #JodiArias pros Juan Martinez on computer tampering charge.

then I replied this which I'm a bit proud of and Troy favorited:

@troyhaydenfox10 I just came here to tweet that quote. I wonder how many more hasty puddings the def will leak out via their fave reporter.

I would be willing to bet that any person who dies whose death is subject to inquiry by a defense attorney at a trial would have things in their life history that could be used against them...rightfully or not. It is easy to twist and misconstrue and take things out of context. I really believe the Hughes stepped in trying to get Travis to change his ways not because they feared he was abusive or because they had seen him be abusive in the past, but because he was not a kid anymore and in their view playing the field was something that should come to an end by a certain age. Part of that was they knew he wanted to eventually marry and part was his religion wanting him to marry. Sky and Chris wanted TA to either commit to JA or cut loose because they felt it was not fair to lead her on if he had no intention of taking it seriously. But not long after, their concern became for his rather than her welfare, for obvious reasons. IOW, I do not think they were being nosy or butting in in the sense that is usually seen...I think it was out of concern for what they saw as inappropriate behavior for a Mormon male approaching age 30. IMO.

I hope we see them on the stand explaining their motives, though. I think the jury has a right to hear from the authors of the emails what they meant.

Right. In context, his "victims" were simply the girls he dated but didn't marry after they'd been together a while and the girls had fallen for him. It sounds like he was conflicted between his religion telling him he needs to get married now and his desire to play the field a little. It's pretty sad that he was made to feel that this was bad behavior, but such is the religion he chose to partake in.

I'm sure the jury will see for themselves that CMJA doesn't suffer from a lack of self esteem. Haven't we been here before?

Sentencing someone to death is a very big deal. Many think it's a no-brainer, slam-dunk. I don't think that's the case in the vast majority of DP cases. It's easy to sit in a comfy recliner or behind a computer and be all, "yeah, I'll pull the switch no problem!" Quite a different thing to have to make that decision. And I believe in the DP and am not a softie. But even I realize the gravity of such a decision.

I think people need to stop seeing Arias getting the DP as the only 'win.' I think the 'win' was when she was convicted of first degree murder. The rest is really more of a show. Either way she will not be executed and will spend life in prison.

But it did work in the sentencing phase. Well, what was said in the guilt phase was still in the mind of the select few who wanted to vote for life.

I did think about that. I think this will be different. This jury does not need to decide her guilt as well as her sentence. I still think, given the jury knows
they are determining life or death for a convicted premeditated murderer, that they will see the defense as being too defensive and " out there ". Grappling, imaginings. I think Juan will be straight forward and bring the jury back down from Arias camp La-La land and show Jodi was a jealous psychopathic woman that wanted to exact revenge.

Dubious Behavior ???

Ok, if you say so.

What is not to get? The Hughes' perceived his behaviour and thought it dubious. Why is this an issue when most true, good friends would challenge a friend on something that concerns them? I am scratching my head, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout