Retrieving wreckage from AirAsia Flight To Singapore- no survivors recovered

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just talking to guys and they all think that it is feasible that would still be smoke in the area. They still had quite a few tonne of fuel on board.

Turbulence only scares me when i'm not in my seat. I smashed my head on the ceiling flying from KL - Brisbane, and had a cigarette in my hand as it was 1994.

I remember those days. I can remember going into the flight deck .....Captain...FO...Engineer and Chief Purser all smoking with the door closed. Boy have things changed.

That would be absolutely amazing! I hope this isn't a rumor.

This is the same as last time in terms of it boggling my mind with 548 satelittes up there why everyone has to wait for assets to "get" somewhere. Obsiously we control some of our sateliittes - why dont we just zip on over for a peek. They can tell if someone is picking their nose in 4 sec -- I do not get this angle !

So is there anyway smoke would be visible 2 days later ? I'm not following I guess. The plane just crashed and blew up ? OR the plane has been crashed and burning smoldering since it went missing? The giant thunderstorms did not put out the fire? No one saw the smoke until just now? Please direct me to the logic here because I don't understand. TIA

Kinda like MH370, some of the information may be coming in late if islanders/fishermen witnessed anything.

Maybe the news is just taking long to get out because of the lack of technology? :dunno:

So is there anyway smoke would be visible 2 days later ? I'm not following I guess. The plane just crashed and blew up ? OR the plane has been crashed and burning smoldering since it went missing? The giant thunderstorms did not put out the fire? No one saw the smoke until just now? Please direct me to the logic here because I don't understand. TIA

Yeh I dont really think this is gonna be much, what someone has a lighter that works to rub soaked trees togehter for a bonfire --I think it will be something stupid - we need a papercup or a seat tray or something. Or sadly a body that comes back up............

Is the purple circle severe thunderstorms as well?
According to the boys here purple is the centre of the cell with black being worse than red. They said they wouldn't go within 50 miles of something like that. Apparently higher the altitude the greater distance you would spare yourself.

I had not thought much about maybe ICING from the storm could have brought the plane down. That is definitely possible. If anyone has ever tried to scrape ice off their windshield, you know how tough ice can be. I know planes have de-icing capability during the flight but if it builds up faster than the de-icing capability, that would be a dangerous issue for sure.

Yes, planes in Canada during the winter get de-iced before take-off, otherwise the wings freeze up.

Belitung (or in English, Billiton) is an island on the east coast of Sumatra, Indonesia in the Java Sea. The island is known for its pepper and for its tin. It was in the possession of the British from 1812 until the British ceded control of the island to the Dutch in the Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1824. Its main town is Tanjung Pandan.

The population is centered in several small towns, populated by approximately 262,000 inhabitants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belitung

belitung4.jpg

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/05/29/the-beauty-belitung.html

Kinda like MH370, some of the information may be coming in late if islanders/fishermen witnessed anything.

Maybe the news is just taking long to get out because of the lack of technology? :dunno:

That is a good point. Maybe the islanders or witnesses did see the smoke yesterday and we are just now hearing about it. It probably takes awhile for Mr. Island Joe to get to a phone or 2-way radio to let anyone know, and then it would take at least another day before media picked up the report and it would probably take even a 3rd day to confirm if the smoke is the plane or not. So we would be right on schedule if tomorrow/today we find out the smoke is the smoldering plane.

I had not thought much about maybe ICING from the storm could have brought the plane down. That is definitely possible. If anyone has ever tried to scrape ice off their windshield, you know how tough ice can be. I know planes have de-icing capability during the flight but if it builds up faster than the de-icing capability, that would be a dangerous issue for sure.

IIRC, the Air France crash was also flying in stormy weather, when ice formed on some outside sensors that disengaged the autopilot.

Turbulence only scares me when i'm not in my seat. I smashed my head on the ceiling flying from KL - Brisbane, and had a cigarette in my hand as it was 1994.

Used to love flying (obviously a passion for it!)! I must preface this adventrure by saying that it happened after several nights of wonderful partying! It was SOuthwest, and I was so thrilled , that several of the backward facing seats were availiblile. How cool, to fly backwards! My excitment was short lived.

After many cocktails, the sensations of flying backwards is a very bad idea! As we climbed, we ran into some turblelance. Turbelance, flying backwards, after drinking, after already going backwards at 565 miles is an even worse idea.

I also want ya all to know today Deborah Hersman is dong news junkets today. IN red. She was terrific head of the NTSB. Really sharp. I emailed her to congratualte her on how on great she handled the pressors on Asiana crash. About 5 months later (her last day at NTSB) apparently clearing her emails she found it and responded - it was cool.

Black stight hair, in red today, but whatever she says goes! She will rarely speculate tho as NTSB never does it- but she knows her airplanes!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-qz8501-china-and-france-join-expanded-search

26m ago20:33

The Indonesian search team is investigating reports of smoke near Long Island in the Java Sea, according to CBS News. More on their latest report here:

The search has resumed for the missing AirAsia Flight 8501 plane that is believed to have crashed into Indonesia’s Java Sea, Sunday morning. Searchers continued looking for the aircraft Tuesday, with the search area widened in hopes of finding the airliner and its 162 passengers.

Dr Max Ruland, Director of Operations for the search and rescue mission, confirmed to CBS News that two Cessna jets have been dispatched to check on reports of smoke on an island in the search zone, which is larger than the state of California.

Any sighting of smoke in the search is not necessarily linked to the missing plane, and should be treated with caution at this stage. Aviation journalist John Walton offered an alternative explanation for the smoke sighting:

— John Walton (@thatjohn)
December 30, 2014

Multiple unconfirmed reports of smoke in #QZ8501 search area. Caveat: burning forests for paper production is common this time of year.

Just to get idea of diff between this week and MAL 370. A320 compared to 777-200ER

Fuel Volume

6,400 gal
31,000 gal

Baggage Volume
cu ft
cu ft

A320 new is about 93 million dollars

Triple 7 ER is around 320 million dollars

https://www.google.com/#q=cost+of++777+200+er+

Nine News Australia ‏@9NewsAUS 4m4 minutes ago
UPDATE: What appeared as an oil spill, has turned out to be coral, as the search for flight #QZ8501 continues. #9News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout