Retrieving wreckage from AirAsia Flight To Singapore- no survivors recovered

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had it with this sinus junk - just ran to Lowes got a wet/vac, so if you never hear from me again you know my brains ended up in the wet vac conatainer!! Kidding kidding but it really is a drag !

HAHA! Do not try sucking out your sinus crap with the wet vac. I know you want to try it! LOL

OT - me too!! UGH! Never been so miserable with it in my life! Congested way up in my head....nose bleeding...but nothing else will come out. I am plugged! Miserable pain!

This info MAY help you out~~ Please read the whole page..as it goes into the do's and don't surrounding the use of decongestants..Sorry for OT but feel bad for those suffering from plugged up sinus' :(

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/decongestants

Unless 1A showed up, checked a bag, and THEN proceeded not to board, how is that meaningful?

What could have happened is the passenger in 1A my have checked in online and was a no show....therefore it would appear that 1A had been allocated. If a pax checks in with baggage and they are a no show at the boarding gate, ramp staff will have to go through all containers and retrieve the piece of baggage. I know with certain airlines you would have to physically show the Captain that piece of baggage. I wouldn't be casting any doubts about 1A. Just my thoughts only.

Thats actually good! That is the exact area the weather dude said the currents were going to be going (this was like 35 hours ago) so it fits perfect! We will see huh!

Has already been ruled out!

As a matter of fact around the end of January I am going to Singapore but will fly with ANA or United airlines
If you are going to Singapore take a visit to Marina Bay Sands and have a swim in their infinity pool AMAZING. I flew Air Asia to Singapore only in September.

thank you very much for posting this...I heard about the missing plane and am trying to catch up to the thread
Thank you to all who have been posting!

Not sure if this has been asked..but isn't the Java Sea part of the major shipping lanes in the area? Have there been reports of any sort of debris sighting yet?

There were 'objects' spotted earlier but they have been determined not to be from the plane. Nothing else was reported.

Yes it is a major shipping lane. Many ships, fishermen etc have joined the search, means are keeping their eyes peeled and lights on at night.

What a horror. I really don't think the passengers were conscious for as long as the reenactment portrays.

It always brings me comfort to think everyone is unconscious. But then there are some tales of people surviving long falls in airplane crashes. And perhaps worse still, even if the plane was depressurized at high altitude, a person may actually regain consciousness at lower altitude. It was thought that a few people were conscious all the way down on Pan Am 103. If you are interested in this sort of thing and do not have a fear of flying, the first few chapters of The Boy Who Fell Out Of The Sky describe 103 pretty well. Other good books are Why Planes Crash and Air Safety Investigators.

For high-altitude plane crash survivors there are these:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulović

I'm thinking if I wanted to drive to Europe from Australia I could sort of island hop then buy a car on mainland China or India and pretty much make it in a couple of weeks, as far as trips to the USA go, I wonder if cruise ships still do that route via Hawaii .. I bet they do.

What could have happened is the passenger in 1A my have checked in online and was a no show....therefore it would appear that 1A had been allocated. If a pax checks in with baggage and they are a no show at the boarding gate, ramp staff will have to go through all containers and retrieve the piece of baggage. I know with certain airlines you would have to physically show the Captain that piece of baggage. I wouldn't be casting any doubts about 1A. Just my thoughts only.
Indeed my bag was once sent to Mexico in error not long after 9/11. United told me they couldn't send it back without me being on the plane, so I suggested that they fly me to Cabo to retrieve it. Unsurprisingly they managed to get it to me without my free beach vacation, though it took 2 weeks.

I'm thinking if I wanted to drive to Europe from Australia I could sort of island hop then buy a car on mainland China or India and pretty much make it in a couple of weeks, as far as trips to the USA go, I wonder if cruise ships still do that route via Hawaii .. I bet they do.

O/T
Mr G Norris your avatar of Ron Moss is cracking me up every time I see your post...
Just out of curiosity have there been any Ron Moss sightings? I miss him on B&B

Good analogy. I've seen crows give up too trying to fly into a strong headwind.

I had watched a lot of Utube videos in the past of air disasters and have picked up some interesting things from them. One of them was something that goes against normal thinking when flying. They were talking about how to get more airspeed quickly if the plane is in trouble. If the plane is in trouble and someone needs to get more speed, a quick way is to point the nose down and basically puposely fly downwards. It makes perfect sense but goes against human intuition if your plane is in trouble. You by instinct dont want to point the nose of the plane down toward the ground when you are in trouble but that is precisely what you want to do in order to gain good airspeed in a flash.
Most all pilots know this, but it does make you wonder if they get in a panic, would all people be able to remember their training.

Going back to thunderstorm winds. The other thing that can also happen is the wind can change direction dramatically. Like you could be getting a good headwind and the next thing you know you may have a tailwind instead as you fly through the storm.

Here is another example of how winds can change direction in storms.
I felt the after affects as a hurricane was fizzleing out once and passing through. The wind was going in one direction and about 3 hours later the wind was in the completely opposite direction. I suppose a small storm could be similar in that if a plane flew through it, the winds could be completely different direction on the other side of it.

So was kind of thinking about that if the plane was going too slow to begin with and then if the wind changed to give a tailwind, it would basically be a negative wind. So lets say the pilot had 100 MHP groundspeed and normal 100 MPH wind passing over the wing. If a strong tailwind started to happen at lets say 100MPH coming up from the rear of plane towards the nose, it would negate all his wind going over the wing, and he would have a net of 0 MPH going over the wing. Result would be to fall out of sky in that condition. But you would hope he could go into a dive and regain control of course.

I hear what you are saying it goes against what you would feel to me a normal motion - pull the nose up instead of down. Regarding the training kicking in for Pilots - you would find that in the even of an emergency or inflight event their training would kick in and everything else would go out the window. Flight and cabin crew have drills and memory items in the event of hijack/bomb threats/fire/depressurisation and many others. Also for those websleuthers who have a fear of flying (I did in my early 20's) ......if you could get into a simulator and have an instructor take you through the motions and explain what happens in the take off/landing phase etc it might relieve some fear...easier said than done unfortunately.

A little off topic (but not so much since that youtube video was posted), the movie TWA: Flight 800 is a movie worth watching.

I guess I could say it's probably why I have had a fear of flying since I could do so on my own (predates 9/11).

It always brings me comfort to think everyone is unconscious. But then there are some tales of people surviving long falls in airplane crashes. And perhaps worse still, even if the plane was depressurized at high altitude, a person may actually regain consciousness at lower altitude. It was thought that a few people were conscious all the way down on Pan Am 103. If you are interested in this sort of thing and do not have a fear of flying, the first few chapters of The Boy Who Fell Out Of The Sky describe 103 pretty well. Other good books are Why Planes Crash and Air Safety Investigators.

For high-altitude plane crash survivors there are these:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulović

Had a quick read thank you for that - simply amazing.

O/T
Mr G Norris your avatar of Ron Moss is cracking me up every time I see your post...
Just out of curiosity have there been any Ron Moss sightings? I miss him on B&B

HAHA :D I love Ron Moss .. and no sightings unfortunately :(

Indeed my bag was once sent to Mexico in error not long after 9/11. United told me they couldn't send it back without me being on the plane, so I suggested that they fly me to Cabo to retrieve it. Unsurprisingly they managed to get it to me without my free beach vacation, though it took 2 weeks.
Wow...maybe that was something that was put in place after 9/11. If a pax had a missing piece of luggage the airlines I worked for at the time would normally put them on a "rush" tag and put them on the next flight and deliver them directly to the owner. The missing piece of baggage would be screened. Unfortunately the world changed after 9/11.

Almost daybreak in the Java Sea. Search soon to be continued.

Wow...maybe that was something that was put in place after 9/11. If a pax had a missing piece of luggage the airlines I worked for at the time would normally put them on a "rush" tag and put them on the next flight and deliver them directly to the owner. The missing piece of baggage would be screened. Unfortunately the world changed after 9/11.
It was very soon after 9/11 and I think they were really scrambling and very understandably confused about how to comply with new regulations. They told me that no bags without attached passengers were being put onto planes, and maybe it was especially scrutinized because it went on an international ramble. The plane to Cabo was at the gate next to mine and I'm guessing my suitcase just fell off the baggage cart and was tossed onto the other plane.

Since then my luggage has been lost twice and both times it arrived in a very timely manner on my doorstep with no drama. As a whole I am impressed that my luggage is lost very rarely!

What a horror. I really don't think the passengers were conscious for as long as the reenactment portrays.

The scenes used in the reenactment are from the movie 'Final Destination' which was really good btw, terrifying portrayal of a crash but very good.

That bothered me too when I heard they were denied permission. It has always amazed me that so many planes follow the same basic flight path. I suppose airlines do that because they are proven flight paths and they can time takeoffs and landings but I wonder why they cannot shift flight paths horizontally and keep planes away from each other and not on the same basic track line.
It probably comes down to money and certain airlines have certain tracks. Im not sure if spreading out track lines horizontally would make it any safer or make it more confusing and maybe worse.

It was upsetting though when I heard they were denied permission to deviate their course. That seemed unbelievable to me when I heard about that. When the news was first breaking I noticed they never mentioned that permission was denied. I only heard about the pilot asking for a deviation. Then many hours later I finally heard they were denied it. It was almost like that info was being hidden at first.

I was just talking to one of our Pilot's. No blame should be credited to ATC - apparently trying to climb out of a thunderstorm is almost impossible. He also mentioned that - skirting around the storm may have been an option. Also this aircraft was full of fuel which would enable them to return to their origin. Now they would have been heavy with fuel and their maximum landing weight would be exceeded which would mean that they could always dump fuel. This Pilot was saying he was in a similar situation one night flying over bass strait they made the decision to return. Pilot's will always carry enough fuel for contingencies and always have an alternate on their flight plan. A lot of our Pilot's said he shouldn't have been in that situation, whereby within in a minute or so after being told he can ascend to losing contact with ATC. Pilot's should be always thinking ahead. MH370 is always bantered around the old crew room. Majority of crew would have thought if it had landed in one piece then sunk to the lowest part of the indian ocean the fuesalage would have imploded immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenae