Ron Cummings Arrested 2009.08.06 RE: Battery involving brother-in-law

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but this behavior is VERY common in battered women. Battered women don't necessarily only change their mind about leaving their abusers because they are afraid too, they also don't leave because they are an integral part of the abuse cycle. There are very complex forces operating in the brain of your typical battered spouse.

Just because he was locked up doesn't mean suddenly she was going to go home with the family. Frankly if she is a battered spouse, I would guess that she blamed herself for him being locked up and will do anything she can to get him out.

Most battered woman have every chance to leave, but ironically they don't. :confused:

For the record: I am not stating that I think Misty is abused by Ron (nor am I stating she isn't.) I think they all thrive in the lifestyles they CHOOSE to have. I think they all stink of guilt in one way or the other.

I would have called my family to come get me too. Misty's family must be familiar with how Ron was going to act once they got there, ie., three of them came over to get Misty because she wanted to leave Ron. I also wonder why GMS didn't jump in and help Misty out when Ron was fighting with her?
(snipped)

wouldn't GGS have heard Misty screaming and got up to see what was wrong? I think in her statement she said she was sleeping at first.

Judging from MC's repeated attempts thruout the day to reach her family--described as distress calls during an argument w RC--her family's visit was not uninvited but prompted by those calls and the resulting concern for her wellbeing as they evidently believed it was her husband from whom MC needed protection.

As for, “she could just leave,” we really need to better understand the cycle of oppression, intimidation, fear and in some cases violence--in order to appreciate why the woman doesn’t always "just leave." I was not there nor can any of us on this board be sure as to whether this was the case. But I can attest from personal experience that not all MIL's (GMS in Misty's case) will respond to cries of help. And I am posting a link to address some of the myths and misconceptions represented here on this thread.

1.Women stay because they are afraid of the system. (Certainly MS would be reluctant to draw further attention to the dysfunction w/in the environment from which Haleigh disappeared, and to which RC hopes Jr will be allowed to return.)
2.The most dangerous time in a violent relationship is when the victim attempts to leave.
As stated by others, often by the time LE or others can respond or intervene, the woman has lost her "nerve.")
3.A lot of men “promise” that they are going to change and that “this” will be the last time.
4.Fear of losing the children.[/I] (Please see #1 above)
5.Economic Dependence: A lot of women are stay at home moms therefore they don’t have independent income.
6.They have gained low self-esteem and they are severely depressed.
7.Religious beliefs: “In sickness and in health.”
("To death do us part.")
8.She still loves him and believes that she could “save” him.
9.Believes that she doesn’t deserve to be loved.
10.Environmental: her mother may have been beaten by her father and accepts this behavior to be natural.
11.Investment: if she is married, she might own a home with her husband, cars, savings, and there might be children involved.
12.Cycle: she may have been abused as a child and accepts that this is normal.
13.Failure: a lot of women believe that an end to a relationship or marriage means that they failed. There are several things that victims need to hear: I believe you, your fear is real, what is happening to you is wrong, it was not your fault, you are not a failure, you deserve to be happy and healthy, I will help you, and I love you.
Leaving an abusive situation isn’t easy. It takes time and the victim first has to admit to herself that something is wrong. In time when she realizes that something is wrong, she will build strength and courage and she will leave.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/women_abuse/101590

(Have to leave now for medical appt, guess I'll have to let you all duke it out)
:seeya:

:parrot:

I just feel ashamed at this talk that Ron is right again. I am sure Misty called, I am sure they came because she was distraught, I'm sure Ron convinced Misty it was a bad idea under his manly voice.
I have been here all too many times. I remember calling my friends to come get me because I had just had the s**t beat out of me. I would leave then he would shoew up and start telling me how sorry he was, it would never happen again and beg me to come home. My self esteem was so low I would believe him and go back, things would be fine for a few weeks and he would be doing it again. Once when I tried to move out and was staying with friends he showed up at 12:00am banging on the door threating to hurt my friends for helping me I could never get away from him he always found me. I was Misty's age 16 when I got with him and finally got the nerve to leave 6 months before my 19th birthday.
People could never understand why I would go back or stay. When you are put down all the time to where you have no self esteem you do not feel like you deserve better or this is the best you'll get because they tell you that on a regular basis. He also would always tell me that he would hunt me down and kill me if I left.

I know exactly where you are coming from. My ex threatened to kill my brother if he showed up to get me. To protect my brother I would tell him everything is ok, don't come over. I have a feeling that Ron had not apologized to Misty. I feel that he threatened to harm her family if they showed up, therefore Misty called and told them not to come. Ron did exactly as he threatened he would. He came out swinging and started beating on her brother. I'm definitely not a fan of either family here and never will be, just to clear this up with anyone who will post otherwise. I do feel that Misty has severed ties with her family by supporting Ron in this case and making the statement that she made including being hit by her family and not Ron. Don't really know who hit her but I do believe that she asked for help from her family. Down the road, when she desperately needs help again, I'm afraid that they will not come and she will not get the chance to call LE.

PS: Why on earth would she be wearing a black long sleeved shirt in the Florida heat to go bail Ron out?

Since when is a shove or push considered an assault when you are trying to defend yourself? I sure hope Ronald gets a good attorney for this.

When you read the police report it's the Croslins who are trying to get away from Ron, he's the one who keeps pursuing them, coming out of the home and right to their vehicle, reaching in and trying to do whatever????.... thus the burglary charge.

I don't see Ron defending anyone in this report.

The way this thread is titled wonder how many people are gonna click on it thinking it has something to do with what happened to Haleigh.

Perhaps it could be re-titled: Ron Cummings Arrested for Battery on In-Law.

Otherwise most of the threads would need to be re-named "Unrelated to Haleigh's Disappearance" because thus far, imo, none have any relation to Haleigh's Disappearance, at least as far as we can tell: TN, Haleigh's Paternal G'mother; Crystal S...; Ron C...; etc, et al.

I just feel ashamed at this talk that Ron is right again. I am sure Misty called, I am sure they came because she was distraught, I'm sure Ron convinced Misty it was a bad idea under his manly voice.
I have been here all too many times. I remember calling my friends to come get me because I had just had the s**t beat out of me. I would leave then he would shoew up and start telling me how sorry he was, it would never happen again and beg me to come home. My self esteem was so low I would believe him and go back, things would be fine for a few weeks and he would be doing it again. Once when I tried to move out and was staying with friends he showed up at 12:00am banging on the door threating to hurt my friends for helping me I could never get away from him he always found me. I was Misty's age 16 when I got with him and finally got the nerve to leave 6 months before my 19th birthday.
People could never understand why I would go back or stay. When you are put down all the time to where you have no self esteem you do not feel like you deserve better or this is the best you'll get because they tell you that on a regular basis. He also would always tell me that he would hunt me down and kill me if I left.
To me this is such as sad turn of affairs. It shows the incredible strain this family is under. What jumps out at me is the statement in the police report from Lisa Croslin: "She said that up until now she never knew him as being violent." Certainly, if he were a violent, abusive individual, she would have been aware of it. This really contradicts the many rumors and accusations that Ron is such a violent person.

I agree with you in that, if he is abusive, then he doesn't deserve our sympathy. But I just can't jump to that conclusion because there has been such a clear effort to discredit him and give that impression, that I'm really suspicious of it. I just can't separate fact from fiction.

With the stress levels he has (as well as all the Cummings and Sheffield family members) he desperately needs counselling. I'm surprised that something like this hasn't occurred before now. I can't imagine the hell all these folks are going through. And, I bet there will be other flare-ups.

I'm sorry for what you went through. But you're right, this happens every day, and is probably happening to someone as I type this. This is the pattern of spousal abuse.

Since when is a shove or push considered an assault when you are trying to defend yourself?

Based on this particular situation, all that was happening was Misty's brother was approaching in an aggressive manner.

Perhaps we need a little more description of the "aggressive" manner. IMO, perhaps Hank was yelling. No harm in yelling/screaming/shouting etc.

If someone pushes you, it is an assault. No one is allowed to put their hands on another individual.

When you read the police report it's the Croslins who are trying to get away from Ron, he's the one who keeps pursuing them, coming out of the home and right to their vehicle, reaching in and trying to do whatever????.... thus the burglary charge.

In the police report (first link in this thread) in the statement by Hank Jr. Ron actually got into the passenger seat and continued to beat Hank Jr. He had also reached into the window to beat him.

I have a question with regards to the bail. Since Misty is under the age of 18, can she legally sign a contract to bail someone out of jail?

Misty had GMS with her, and I would assume that GMS signed the paperwork.

I don't recall that being stated in the police report. If he was trespassing then he would be charged.

Many pages behind because I have just now heard of this arrest on HLN.

That's right. Nothing was mentioned about trespassing onto private property.
IF there were 'No Trespassing' signs in Ms. Sykes yard, driveway, or property, then the other party (Croslins) could be charged with trespassing. Otherwise, no one can be charged with that. Purchasing 'No Trespassing' signs and posting them in a visible place would take care of this. That way, future problems could be avoided.

IF Ms. Sykes had called the police and told the police she did not want these people (Croslins) on her property, the police could make them leave. THEN, IF the Croslins were to come back onto her property, (even before 'no trespassing' signs were placed out) they could be arrested for it. The police, IMO, would advise Ms. Sykes to purchase 'no trespassing' signs.

I have encountered this myself.

That is how I interpreted the article as well. I find it sad and disturbing that here is Ron creating this while Jr. was probably inside and again nothing is being done. This is just a pattern of behavior for Ron "IMO" that many spoke up about and nothing was done. Misty called for help, and if anyone knows what it's like to be in an abusive relationship they know that most of the time we say nothing and let the abuser keep on abusing out of fear. It takes a lot of courage to get out of that environment and I don't think Misty has that in her. Remember, Crystal made claims that Ron was abusive, used drugs, and some said she was just blowing hot air. What is it going to take for the State of Florida to see that this man is dangerous. What about Jr.? What about Haleigh? It sickens me that people like Ron get away with everything...it happens all over the U.S. and nothing is being done and I blame DFS 50% for all of these children that go missing or show up dead and the other 50% is the abuser themselves. :truce:

:clap::clap::clap:

Very well stated, MADJGNLAW.

They came to his residence, they got out of their vehicle, and aggressively came after him. They were asked to leave the property by everyone who resides there. They refused to leave which is one reason he did come back outside. It appears Misty remained outside during that time and one or all of them were trying to force her to leave against her will which is another reason he came back outside. Hank Jr started the physical altercation, imo. Ronald had every right to defend himself and Misty, imo. He should not have been charged with anything, imo. The Croslins should be charged with Trespassing and the Assault and Battery charges instead.

A man can finish a fight he didn't start.

A lot has jumped out at me about this incident report. Why would LE fear for his own safety?

After speaking with all three of those subjects, I located Ronald Cummings at *advertiser censored* 4th Avenue. Upon initial contact, I detained Ronald Cummings for my safety and the safety of all others at the scene.It should be noted that Ronald Cummings is usually in possession of some sort of hand gun and it was mentioned that he may have been in possession of it at the current time. (I am assuming that there is a lot more that are in the actual incident reports and maybe a gun was pointed at someone at one point during the altercation? Just speculating here.)
Upon initial assessment of the situation I gathered that Hank Croslin Jr had been battered by Ronald Cummings. (From the pictures of Ron being released today and his booking photo he did not seem to be bruised up much. However, LE did assess the situation and it seemed that Hank Jr. had been battered. I have not seen those photos yet, but to me it means he was hit hard enough for LE to state it in his report and fear for his safety and arrest Ron.)

Sykes said the Croslins were trying to get Misty Cummings into their van to come with them but she refused. (So, this tells me that they did come to pick Misty up and that is what the altercation was about, it was not just that the Croslins had nothing better to do and just showed up at the home.)
Sykes said that she attempted to break up the fight and told Ronald to go into the residence and everyone else to leave. She said that she separated Ronald and Hank Jr and sent Ronald in the house. She said she pushed Hank Jr, Sr and Lisa into their van and told them to leave. She said that Hank Jr continued to yell at Ronald. She said that Ronald came back out and they went to fighting again. She said that Hank Jr was in the van and Ronald reached in again after him to continue the altercation. She said that again she sent Ronald into the residence and slammed the van door shut so that Hank, Hank and Lisa would leave. She said that Hank Jr was going to the handy way to call the sheriffs office. Annette completed a sworn written statement in reference to the incident. (GMA Sykes pushed Hank Jr, Sr and Lisa into their van?)

During the fight, Croslin went into the van and Cummings swung at him in the vehicle, according to Sykes and the Croslin's account to Quintiere. Sgt. Stacey Dowling of the Putnam County Sheriff's Office said Cummings was charged with burglary because he went into the vehicle without permission. (Again, it seems as if the Croslins were leaving and Ron felt he had to jump in the van and assault Croslin Jr. For what reason? He was in the van and from what GMA stated they were going up to the handy way to call 911.)

"snip" http://www.jacksonville.com/news/me...ted_for_burglary_battery_involving_brother_in

I have a question with regards to the bail. Since Misty is under the age of 18, can she legally sign a contract to bail someone out of jail?

I don't know whether this is one of those times when being an emancipated minor allows one to do legal things like this, but GGMS was with her, and so it's possible that GGMS signed.

Let's face it, there are two sides to this story. One thing seems clear - the Croslins show up at GGM's house close to 11pm. Two males. A fight happened. Those are FACTS.

Is there some reason Misty's dad could not pick up Misty by himself (if it is even TRUE that Misty called him "hysterical and crying" earlier in the day?) AND, if Misty REALLY called hysterical earlier in the day, why wait until 11pm to pick her up? Why bring the whole family to get her? Seemed like the "whole gang" arrived.

There are conflicting stories at this point.

We do not know which story is correct, however BOTH sides of the family has now filed complaints.

If it is true that the Croslins were asked to leave by the property owner, GGM, the Croslins were trespassing, IMO. They should have left immediately.

It will be interesting to see what the SA's office does when ALL the information is received from ALL the parties.

Again, and it defies logic why everyone wants to miss the point when they make posts such as this, but Atherella......GGMS was pushing two of them into the car while Misty's brother was fending of Ronald who was punching him while Hank Jr was IN the car attempting to leave.

Uh, they were attempting to comply with the order to leave the premises.

December, and that legal adult thing is limited. She still can not legally purchase cigarettes, or alcohol, or enter over 21 bars or clubs....no matter who signed what. Some laws are age specific for everyone, no exceptions for emancipation.

Unless Misty has been legally emancipated, the legal age is 18 in most states to sign contract agreements. Ie., a bond agreement is a contract.

Many pages behind because I have just now heard of this arrest on HLN.

That's right. Nothing was mentioned about trespassing onto private property.
IF there were 'No Trespassing' signs in Ms. Sykes yard, driveway, or property, then the other party (Croslins) could be charged with trespassing. Otherwise, no one can be charged with that. Purchasing 'No Trespassing' signs and posting them in a visible place would take care of this. That way, future problems could be avoided.

IF Ms. Sykes had called the police and told the police she did not want these people (Croslins) on her property, the police could make them leave. THEN, IF the Croslins were to come back onto her property, (even before 'no trespassing' signs were placed out) they could be arrested for it. The police, IMO, would advise Ms. Sykes to purchase 'no trespassing' signs.

I have encountered this myself.
That is so ridiculous! For a person to be able to trespass legally because there are no signs up...I don't understand especially if they are demanded to leave.

I am so glad we have the "Stand My Ground" law in place here. I can take out my gun and defend myself and my property properly when someone is coming at me with intent to do bodily harm...such as Hank Jr did to Ronald...no matter if I am standing in my own yard or not. I have the legal right to use lethal force if neccesary.

Well...I have to disagree. If someone were coming at me in an aggressive manner, threatening me or my family, and got in my face...I would react the same way. I would attempt to push them away from me to prevent them from harming me. I would not turn my back on them! It would be foolish at that point to "walk away" and not expect to get sucker punched from behind. Ronald did not hit him first. Hank Jr took the first swing.

If the Croslins did receive calls from Misty...why didn't THEY call 911?! Why did they show up after Misty told them not to come? Calling 911 to rescue her would have been the right thing to do in the situation especially since she did not want them there. They did it because they were intent on starting a fight, imo. They knew exactly what was going to happen and provoked it. I will give you that Ronald should have called 911 immediately instead of going outside, but we don't know if Misty went outside first yet. None of the reports mention when she came outside.

I have to take a look at WHY they did this. Maybe we really are looking at the wrong families for Haleigh's disappearance. Maybe the brother Croslin is the one we should be checking out instead.

While you're at it, take a look at Ronald's statement. HE PUT HIS HANDS ON HANK JR FIRST.

Based on this particular situation, all that was happening was Misty's brother was approaching in an aggressive manner.

Perhaps we need a little more description of the "aggressive" manner. IMO, perhaps Hank was yelling. No harm in yelling/screaming/shouting etc.

If someone pushes you, it is an assault. No one is allowed to put their hands on another individual.

Imo/ime it would depend on what someone was possibly yelling/screaming/shouting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member