Rosie O'Donnell and Kelly Ripa...

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For those who find reading difficult, let me try to explain it again: homophobic remarks can and ARE made about those thought to be gay, whether in fact they are gay or not. :banghead:

(If you want a prime and current example, check out Survivor Sucks' hundreds of pages on the singer they call "Gaykin.")

On another note, funny how we can all understand what Ripa most likely meant, but we can't imagine how, from O'Donnell's experience, the same words might mean something else. Implying that the touch of a gay (or thought to be gay) person is "disgusting" is not so uncommon that O'Donnell's interpretation is off-the-wall.

I think Rosie has become way over the top and looks for things to make an issue of. If anything, I think Rosie owes Clay Aiken an apology.

I have tons of gay friends and it would never occur to me that being touched by a gay is any different than being touched by a straight or an asexual, pre-sexual, or bi-sexual. Everyone is pretty equally germy! Only someone who is overly sensitive to homophobia would read that into that remark. I would say that to a 5 year old, mainly because of their frequently snotty noses and poor bathroom skills. I don't believe it had anything to do with *Clay* when she said it. It was simply (IMO) intended as a humorous way to say "get your hands out of my face".

Nova said:
For those who find reading difficult, let me try to explain it again: homophobic remarks can and ARE made about those thought to be gay, whether in fact they are gay or not. :banghead:

(If you want a prime and current example, check out Survivor Sucks' hundreds of pages on the singer they call "Gaykin.")

On another note, funny how we can all understand what Ripa most likely meant, but we can't imagine how, from O'Donnell's experience, the same words might mean something else. Implying that the touch of a gay (or thought to be gay) person is "disgusting" is not so uncommon that O'Donnell's interpretation is off-the-wall.
I agree with you. Nova. Sometimes those of us who have not experienced the type of prejudice that others experience on a routine basis have a hard time really "getting" it.

I don't understand how this is a homophobic remark, though. I wouldn't want ANYONE'S hands on my face. I mean, it's not like gay people have more germs than straight people.

Nova, I understand what you are saying, but I have to ask you....have you ever said to anyone "I don't know where your hand has been", for any reason? And, if so, were you referring IN ANY WAY to their sexuality???

Now, if were talking about someone saying "I don't know where your dick has been", or "I don't know where your vagina has been"....then I think THAT could be construed as referring to someones sexuality, whether it be gay or straight.

Everyone has hands. The signs in the bathrooms for restaurant employees say "Wash your hands"---they don't say that in case the person is gay, LOL, they say it because hands contain many germs, regardless of who someone chooses to love.

southcitymom said:
I agree with you. Nova. Sometimes those of us who have not experienced the type of prejudice that others experience on a routine basis have a hard time really "getting" it.
It all has to do with context.

And in the context of a daytime talk show, I don't think their was any sexual context. Maybe only in the eyes of those who are overly interested in other people's sex lives. I do understand that being a part of a minority of any nature does tend to make people hypersensitive to unintentionally offensive remarks. It doesn't mean that other people who weren't even there have to try and inject their hypersensitivity into a situation in which they weren't even involved. (Yea Rosie, I'm talking to you.)

TheShadow said:
And in the context of a daytime talk show, I don't think their was any sexual context. Maybe only in the eyes of those who are overly interested in other people's sex lives. I do understand that being a part of a minority of any nature does tend to make people hypersensitive to unintentionally offensive remarks. It doesn't mean that other people who weren't even there have to try and inject their hypersensitivity into a situation in which they weren't even involved. (Yea Rosie, I'm talking to you.)
Just a rhetorical question. When did a natural sensitivity given the context of a person's life circumstances and experience become hypersensitivity?

Okay maybe hypersensitive is not the appropriate word, "more sensitive than other persons not sharing the same life experience" just took a little too long to type. I'm just saying that most of the people of my acquaintance, gay or straight, would not have gotten any homophobic meaning from her comment.

TheShadow said:
Okay maybe hypersensitive is not the appropriate word, "more sensitive than other persons not sharing the same life experience" just took a little too long to type. I'm just saying that most of the people of my acquaintance, gay or straight, would not have gotten any homophobic meaning from her comment.
Did you see some of Nova's posts on this? He gives some interesting background.

Yes, I've read the whole thread as well as the link, and I think we are just of differing opinions on this topic. I don't find anything homophobic about the comment and don't think there was any intent to offend Clay. I don't think Clay has indicated that he was offended or took this remark as in any way referencing his sexuality. Since Rosie wasn't even there, she (just like us) was commenting on something taken out of context and which in no way required her input.

TheShadow said:
Yes, I've read the whole thread as well as the link, and I think we are just of differing opinions on this topic. I don't find anything homophobic about the comment and don't think there was any intent to offend Clay. I don't think Clay has indicated that he was offended or took this remark as in any way referencing his sexuality. Since Rosie wasn't even there, she (just like us) was commenting on something taken out of context and which in no way required her input.
I do not have an opinion of whether Rosie over reacted or not. Do not watch tv, missed the whole thing.

I just always have to put my two cents in when anyone has one of those "minorities are overly sensitive remarks". You'd have to read the Kramer thread to see where I'm coming from lol.

I've just been reading back and forth on those two and them seem to have some similar themes.

There is no comparison between Ripa's comment and Richards' insanely racist behavior. He was intentionally hurtful and offensive. That man has something seriously wrong with him. Kelly tried to humorously tell Clay to keep his hands to himself. No comparison. It is an interesting juxtaposition of stories though, isn't it?

IMO someone should tell Rosie it's not always about her,and it's not always about gays.

If Clay felt uncomfortable about something,it was up to him to handle it,not Rosie. Clay is a big boy,and can speak for himself.

In fact I have a feeling Clay is probably a bit perturbed with Rosie making a big issue,out of something he probably wishes would go away.

He probably realized the minute he covered Kelly's mouth,and saw how she reacted,that it was the wrong thing to do.But nooooo ... Rosie had to stir the pot ... and now it's being talked about on tv,radio, forums ....

Yeah ... I don't think Clay is very happy.
Thanks alot Rosie!

I'm sure Clay, who is sick and tired of people questioning his sexuality, really "loved" it when Rosie put her 2 cents in. I honestly feel bad for Clay sometimes. I think that Kathy Griffin should lay off him. It's really not funny. Seriously, just not funny. Comedy should be funny....:waitasec:

TheShadow said:
There is no comparison between Ripa's comment and Richards' insanely racist behavior. He was intentionally hurtful and offensive. That man has something seriously wrong with him. Kelly tried to humorously tell Clay to keep his hands to himself. No comparison. It is an interesting juxtaposition of stories though, isn't it?
No comparison with the comments, some natural comparison to the threads.

People are talking about racism and ignorance in general on both threads.
The claim that posters are overly sensitive about race is being bandied about in the Richards thread and the gay oversensitivity is the theme in this thread.

I meant that the comment by Ripa was an innocent request for him to keep his hands to himself. A reasonable request that was turned into something else by an uninvolved third party (Rosie) versus a psycho racist rant intended to hurt and shock. Two totally different things. But the sensitivity theme is definitely running through both threads.

julianne said:
I don't understand how this is a homophobic remark, though. I wouldn't want ANYONE'S hands on my face. I mean, it's not like gay people have more germs than straight people.

Nova, I understand what you are saying, but I have to ask you....have you ever said to anyone "I don't know where your hand has been", for any reason? And, if so, were you referring IN ANY WAY to their sexuality???

Now, if were talking about someone saying "I don't know where your dick has been", or "I don't know where your vagina has been"....then I think THAT could be construed as referring to someones sexuality, whether it be gay or straight.

Everyone has hands. The signs in the bathrooms for restaurant employees say "Wash your hands"---they don't say that in case the person is gay, LOL, they say it because hands contain many germs, regardless of who someone chooses to love.

julianne, I can't imagine saying that to anyone (unless to a very close friend and entirely in jest).

Frankly, I think Aiken was wrong to put his hands on Ripa's face, Ripa was wrong to respond with a rude remark, and O'Donnell was wrong to assume Ripa's response had anything to do with sexuality.

That being said, I also think Aiken is not a polished TV host and made an awkward gesture under the pressure of the moment; Ripa was caught off guard and though her remark was ungracious, I doubt she meant to be unkind; and O'Donnell reacted to a sort of remark she has heard before, without stopping to consider that the context here might be different. (There is the possibility that O'Donnell knows Ripa better than we do and had reason to conclude as she did, but since I don't know that's true, I think it best we ignore that possibility.)

But anyone who lived through the worst years of AIDS hysteria in the epicenters of the disease (NY, SF, LA) may well suspect someone who blurts out "Don't touch me" (or the equivalent) to gay (or suspected gay) people. Although on the whole, the American people behaved VERY well in response to AIDS sufferers, a lot of ignorant folk have made very stupid remarks.

I haven't seen it mentioned here.. but did anyone watch The View today? Kelly Ripa called in right after Rosie said all of that.. she adeptly defended herself and politely called Rosie on it. She was very professional about it, and all Rosie could do is look perturbed.

TheShadow said:

I think you're probably right, Shadow, that most people wouldn't have thought that was the meaning.

But though I don't read Ms. O'Donnell's mail, I'd be willing to bet that she has received literally thousands of pieces of hate mail and homophobic slurs. Maybe she has good reason to suspect people's motives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1000MoonsAgo
Back