Rosie O'Donnell and Kelly Ripa...

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
capps said:
IMO someone should tell Rosie it's not always about her,and it's not always about gays.

Really? Could have fooled me. There's an entire political party and the leading cable news network currently dedicated to the premise that EVERYthing is about gays and our relationships.

Nova said:
julianne, I can't imagine saying that to anyone (unless to a very close friend and entirely in jest).

Frankly, I think Aiken was wrong to put his hands on Ripa's face, Ripa was wrong to respond with a rude remark, and O'Donnell was wrong to assume Ripa's response had anything to do with sexuality.

That being said, I also think Aiken is not a polished TV host and made an awkward gesture under the pressure of the moment; Ripa was caught off guard and though her remark was ungracious, I doubt she meant to be unkind; and O'Donnell reacted to a sort of remark she has heard before, without stopping to consider that the context here might be different. (There is the possibility that O'Donnell knows Ripa better than we do and had reason to conclude as she did, but since I don't know that's true, I think it best we ignore that possibility.)

But anyone who lived through the worst years of AIDS hysteria in the epicenters of the disease (NY, SF, LA) may well suspect someone who blurts out "Don't touch me" (or the equivalent) to gay (or suspected gay) people. Although on the whole, the American people behaved VERY well in response to AIDS sufferers, a lot of ignorant folk have made very stupid remarks.
Wow--

Now that's analysis!

Nova said:
Really? Could have fooled me. There's an entire political party and the leading cable news network currently dedicated to the premise that EVERYthing is about gays and our relationships.
"Isn't there ANYONE left in Hollywood who isn't gay?"

google "Fox News gay" and you get a story EVERY day. Why is that?

I went just now and watched the clips on youtube and Kelly was hogging the interview. I think that Clay's reaction by putting his hand over her mouth was done in jest, for a good laugh. Although I think her reaction to it was a bit childish, I think her tirade on Monday's show was extremely unprofessional. She is a talk show host and should know that criticizing a guest host who is not used to doing this type of work was uncalled for.

If you watch the show alot, you will see that she often interrupts Regis and is somewhat disrespectful to him. She should have just let it go.

As for Rosie, she was trying to defend Clay but probable caused him more trouble by bringing it up again.

TheShadow said:
Yes, I've read the whole thread as well as the link, and I think we are just of differing opinions on this topic. I don't find anything homophobic about the comment and don't think there was any intent to offend Clay. I don't think Clay has indicated that he was offended or took this remark as in any way referencing his sexuality. Since Rosie wasn't even there, she (just like us) was commenting on something taken out of context and which in no way required her input.

Shadow, I don't think we disagree all that much, actually. All some of us are saying is that there are reasons why O'Donnell's interpretation may be perfectly reasonable.

On the whole, however, I think this is all much ado about nothing. I accept Ripa's explanation of what she was thinking.

Mabel said:
Since when is "I don't know where that hand has been," a homophobic remark? I'd say that to anyone who put their hand on my mouth. Even straight people scratch their own butts now and then.
Exactly I would say it too. Its nasty. I dont know where their hands have been, could have been digging up their nose for Gold or their butt.

I've not seen the clip so I can't speak as to what she said, but I do have to say, as a mother of children, boys esp, they are gross!

I've said that phrase a hundred times cause I seriously don't know where their hands have been! And some places I do know but don't want to think about esp if they are touching my face or I might gag. Boogers anyone?

Maybe it came from that mother thing with small kids?

:laugh:
BhamMama said:
I've not seen the clip so I can't speak as to what she said, but I do have to say, as a mother of children, boys esp, they are gross!

I've said that phrase a hundred times cause I seriously don't know where their hands have been! And some places I do know but don't want to think about esp if they are touching my face or I might gag. Boogers anyone?

Maybe it came from that mother thing with small kids?
As a mom of a young boy who put his hand over my mouth the other day, all I thought about was "Where has that hand been scratching"!!! :eek:

This is absurd... Mel Gibson, Michael Richards, Clay, Kelli and Rosie, The Dixie Chicks, Elizabeth Hurley ('If I were the size of Marilyn Monroe, I'd kill myself.' statement), Tom Cruise... The list goes on and on...and the bottom line is that these "stars" are just like us... HUMANS. None are perfect. All make mistakes. Why is is it so HARD for humanbeings to JUST get along!?!

If we screw up, say we are sorry and mean it, correct our mistake as best we can, and try not to make te same mistake again...

I seriously do not comprehend why there must be such anger, verbal combat, physical violence, crime and hatred in our World. Quite frankly, it is all insane in my opinion. :confused:

angelwngs said:
This is absurd... Mel Gibson, Michael Richards, Clay, Kelli and Rosie, The Dixie Chicks, Elizabeth Hurley ('If I were the size of Marilyn Monroe, I'd kill myself.' statement), Tom Cruise... The list goes on and on...and the bottom line is that these "stars" are just like us... HUMANS. None are perfect. All make mistakes. Why is is it so HARD for humanbeings to JUST get along!?!

If we screw up, say we are sorry and mean it, correct our mistake as best we can, and try not to make te same mistake again...

I seriously do not comprehend why there must be such anger, verbal combat, physical violence, crime and hatred in our World. Quite frankly, it is all insane in my opinion. :confused:
Who said that? Elizabeth Hurley? I have not heard that one.

Nova said:

Nova,

I appreciate what you are referring to,but this is a perfect example of taking a quote out of context.

We are not discussing a political party,or cable news. We are discussing the Rosie/Clay/Kelly situation,and my statement stands in this situation: This is not about Rosie (she had no business in it,it was not about her),and it's not always about gays (imo this had nothing at all to do about being gay,and everything to do about Rosie assuming what she thought Kelly was thinking),which in my opinion,clearly,was about Kelly feeling uncomfortable about Clay wrapping his hand around her mouth.

Now ... if you want to discuss the climate in the media and government parties concerning gays,I would suggest another thread be started.

I watched the Rippa v Akin and I was stunned when he slammed his hand against her face. It was really RUDE behavior and he is the one that should be slammed!I would FLIP if anyone ever did that to me. You know how many people I have seen exit a public bathroom and NOT wash their hands....

EWWWWWWWWW That's where my mind was........

Linda7NJ said:
I watched the Rippa v Akin and I was stunned when he slammed his hand against her face. It was really RUDE behavior and he is the one that should be slammed!I would FLIP if anyone ever did that to me. You know how many people I have seen exit a public bathroom and NOT wash their hands....

EWWWWWWWWW That's where my mind was........
Mine too.

jilly said:
Here is Kelly telling Regis about what happened with her and Clay last Friday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmQPV4L8VdM
Ahhh, see? It wasn't a "homophobic" thing going on there at all...it was a "man condescending a woman" kind of thing...sexual harrassment...:cool:

geesh! I don't think there was any shady undertones to it at all. The woman just doesn't want someone's sweaty hand over her face/mouth when she's conducting an interview with Emmitt Smith! I don't blame her a bit! :snooty: I was watching...and it was extremely rude of him...she handled it well considering she hadn't really met him until that day... :slap: It is kind of gross...but then again, I Lysol the phones after someone uses them in my office or even in my home at times...a little anal, I know, but ...YUCK!...ya just don't know what's out there... :p

Ok, after checking the whole thing out again..several times to see all the reactions...it seems to me that Clay was out of line...he was kind of arrogant right before that when he wanted his turn to question...may be an attempt to be funny, but still very inappropriate. He pretty much reaches out and crams her face back...kind of awkward...just my imo...see what you think...

The whole incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1r6Wh4NasY

capps said:
Nova,

I appreciate what you are referring to,but this is a perfect example of taking a quote out of context.

We are not discussing a political party,or cable news. We are discussing the Rosie/Clay/Kelly situation,and my statement stands in this situation: This is not about Rosie (she had no business in it,it was not about her),and it's not always about gays (imo this had nothing at all to do about being gay,and everything to do about Rosie assuming what she thought Kelly was thinking),which in my opinion,clearly,was about Kelly feeling uncomfortable about Clay wrapping his hand around her mouth.

Now ... if you want to discuss the climate in the media and government parties concerning gays,I would suggest another thread be started.
But doesn't the Rosie/Clay/Kelly situation exist in a larger context? Obviously, from the responses here, people had varied reactions to the incident. So the discussion goes where it goes - I don't see the need for another thread or even understand that suggestion.

ember said:
Ahhh, see? It wasn't a "homophobic" thing going on there at all...it was a "man condescending a woman" kind of thing...sexual harrassment...:cool:

I agree. She even went so far to say that if Clay had been co-hosting with a man he wouldn't even have thought about doing that. She's probably right, imo.

After watching the video where he puts his hand over her mouth, I think she was pretty disgusted and my impression was that she was inferring that it could have been his wiping hand. You could tell that she was sickened and rightly so, imo.

With Regis she tries to pass it off as sexist and bad manners on Clay's part.

In any case, what she actually said has been a saying for decades.

After all that I'm just wondering why they ever invited Clay to co-host. The guy has never had any social skills.

angelwngs said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: Excellent post.

Kelly Ripa has been in show business for 20 years! Anyone remember Dance Party USA? I seriously doubt Clay Aiken is the first real or imagined gay person she has come in contact with. Hell, she works with Gelman everyday! (I know he's not but I always loved on SNL when Chris Kattan would play Gelman really really gay!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1000MoonsAgo
Back