Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We want Sam home please that's it from MM! Why the "please"? I feel this communication is intentional, pleading to someone who we know nothing about relating to her disappearance...only communication from MM ...IMO this simple request is not so simple...
IMO it means he's indicating that he's finished talking. "Please" is something you often end a sentence with.
Despite the headline which says he "breaks his silence" and makes it sound like he was the one who sought out the media to make a statement, if you actually read the details it seems much more like the media hounding him trying to get him to say something.
I think the "please" here is equivalent to "that's all"

We want Sam home please that's it from MM! Why the "please"? I feel this communication is intentional, pleading to someone who we know nothing about relating to her disappearance...only communication from MM ...IMO this simple request is not so simple...
I noticed the wording as well ….

Do you think he is talking to kidnappers?
I have wondered if they may be working on an extortion attempt in the background ???

IMO

IMO it means he's indicating that he's finished talking. "Please" is something you often end a sentence with.
Despite the headline which says he "breaks his silence" and makes it sound like he was the one who sought out the media to make a statement, if you actually read the details it seems much more like the media hounding him trying to get him to say something.
Agreed. I don't think it's a plea to anyone in particular, just his way of talking.

Last edited:
I disagree..."please" does not equate to "that's all" in any sentence... it's a plead, a direct and intentional request ...
Quite possibly...or directly to SM

I disagree..."please" does not equate to "that's all" in any sentence... it's a plead, a direct and intentional request ...

Probably a request for the media to please leave them alone.

It has to be incredibly hard. The kids mum is gone, his wife of many years is gone, his business partner is gone, the beloved pup is gone. With all the worry and fear and grief that goes along with all of that.

imo

Last edited:
Hmm...
Another theory...

Seems like a reasonable idea employing people to search the mineshafts, one less job for the police.But wouldn’t search dogs easily detect her if she’s been taken down a mineshaft?

I’m no dog tracking expert, in fact I’ve only just realised that Cadaver dogs are used for detecting deceased people‍♂️

Hmm...
Another theory...

A possibility, but I think a bit more of a remote possibility of falling into a mine shaft or running onto an "adit" dweller as she would have been sticking to the main trails, as her running was a routine.

Also particularly that she supposedly needed to cut her running to a shorter distance that morning due to the mysterious 9:00am appointment she needed to attend, she would not have the time that morning for exploring off-track.

I agree that due diligence should see that those mine shafts are checked out, with the help of an expert like Ray.

Another possibility is that she could have been dumped in one if she was killed in a vehicle accident on the trail through the park bushland.

Last edited:
A possibility, but I think a bit more of a remote possibility of falling into a mine shaft or running onto an "adit" dweller as she would have been sticking to the main trails, as her running was a routine.

Also particularly that she supposedly needed to cut her running to a shorter distance that morning due to the mysterious 9:00am appointment she needed to attend.

I agree that due diligence should see that those mine shafts should be checked out. Another possibility is that she could have been dumped in one if she was killed in a vehicle accident on the trail through the park bushland.

Well,
she is somewhere out there.
And still not found.

I am now wondering whether the grainy footage released by police initially thought to be of Samantha but surprisingly found to be of another woman was a ruse to try and flush out chatter and discussion amongst key suspect. My mind keeps changing but I am of the view SM never went for a run and will never be found.
[respectfully cropped by me]
I wish that the investigators had this level of foresight but I think it’s more likely it was a genuine mistake. They released that footage on Day 4 which feels about the right amount of time to have alerted all the nearby locations with cameras to check their footage, and for the various people/businesses to have done so and reported back, and then one presumes the police tried to get someone to ID her (? It’s poor visibility footage) and/or decided to release it anyway figuring it was better to do so than not and if it was someone else they would ID themselves and solve that query, which is what happened. I feel like if it was a tactic it was too early for tactics, and [wince] it was more likely to be a stuff up.

Gut instinct only here, but I feel like the police mucking this up was possibly a much more problematic (for the investigation) mistake than has been publicly admitted. I don’t know anything about police procedures so I don’t know how common or acceptable it is considered to release footage saying “it’s her” vs footage saying “it might be her, pls identify yourself if it’s you instead” but in terms of public consciousness and forming public opinion about the case, this misidentified footage hit the news right as people were really catching on to the situation. It must have fueled a lot of the volunteer searchers and hype/discussion about all that, resulted in tips and drama and taken up a lot of investigative time and energy. I am still consistently seeing ppl on social media and even on WS thinking it was her and being corrected by others, and some news stories took a long time To correct themselves. Could this have resulted in lost time that has affected the subsequent direction and effectiveness of the investigation… did that day or 2 barking up the wrong tree set them back? I don’t know, like I said, but it felt like quite the fumble.

So the general public were and are still led astray by that footage. How much police themselves were confused by it is a different story. I’d really hope that they weren’t putting too much stock in it from too early on, but we’ve all seen the first 72 hours of an investigation get bungled before, it happens despite the best of intentions, especially in cases where the original narrative seems logical and reasonable ie. it’s australia, it’s the bush, people do get lost or get injured and need finding and rescuing quite a bit etc etc

Would welcome other opinions on this.
In my Opinion it was probably quite a bad moment for investigators when the news came thru that she’d been misidentified.

In my Opinion it was probably quite a bad moment for investigators when the news came thru that she’d been misidentified.
Agree with your full assumption …. And it likely put the investigation back at square one, when the error was discovered … (as far as determining which way Sam headed on the jog)

IMO

I wish that the investigators had this level of foresight but I think it’s more likely it was a genuine mistake. They released that footage on Day 4 which feels about the right amount of time to have alerted all the nearby locations with cameras to check their footage, and for the various people/businesses to have done so and reported back, and then one presumes the police tried to get someone to ID her (? It’s poor visibility footage) and/or decided to release it anyway figuring it was better to do so than not and if it was someone else they would ID themselves and solve that query, which is what happened. I feel like if it was a tactic it was too early for tactics, and [wince] it was more likely to be a stuff up.

Gut instinct only here, but I feel like the police mucking this up was possibly a much more problematic (for the investigation) mistake than has been publicly admitted. I don’t know anything about police procedures so I don’t know how common or acceptable it is considered to release footage saying “it’s her” vs footage saying “it might be her, pls identify yourself if it’s you instead” but in terms of public consciousness and forming public opinion about the case, this misidentified footage hit the news right as people were really catching on to the situation. It must have fueled a lot of the volunteer searchers and hype/discussion about all that, resulted in tips and drama and taken up a lot of investigative time and energy. I am still consistently seeing ppl on social media and even on WS thinking it was her and being corrected by others, and some news stories took a long time To correct themselves. Could this have resulted in lost time that has affected the subsequent direction and effectiveness of the investigation… did that day or 2 barking up the wrong tree set them back? I don’t know, like I said, but it felt like quite the fumble.

So the general public were and are still led astray by that footage. How much police themselves were confused by it is a different story. I’d really hope that they weren’t putting too much stock in it from too early on, but we’ve all seen the first 72 hours of an investigation get bungled before, it happens despite the best of intentions, especially in cases where the original narrative seems logical and reasonable ie. it’s australia, it’s the bush, people do get lost or get injured and need finding and rescuing quite a bit etc etc

Maybe biggest impact was lost time and wasted resources on having to field calls from the public that they have seen the same woman.

I don't think it has affected the direction of the investigation (which is unknown to us), as they have confimed publicly that SM had left the property that morning (supposedly for a routine run). I think it would have a lot more impact to the investigation if it was not confirmed that she had left the property.

I agree with this. So well explained!

Probably a request for the media to please leave them alone.
It would probably be a very delicate balance of how to treat the media, at this point in the investigation…. No one wants intrusion…

However, the family may need the media’s help, going forward if the case goes cold? Or if Sam is not found soon…..

They will need to keep name Sam’s out there, forefront in people’s minds until she is found…

IMO

Agree with your full assumption …. And it likely put the investigation back at square one, when the error was discovered … (as far as determining which way Sam headed on the jog)

IMO
I am not sure about that, as the investigators would have probably been working on the assumption of this direction heading of her run anyway (which turned out to be probably wrong), regardless of whether they had made it public or not.

Last edited:
Hmm...
Another theory...

The dangers of these mine shafts have been muted since day 1, and here we have a guy who presents himself as some sort of authority in the field - who says the mine shafts haven’t even been searched. Like WTF !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly