Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes of course the police would be looking at everything, and by now, they most likely have suspects and persons of interest
More CCTV, information, data, GPS, phone telecommunications, not to mention hopefully witnesses

Former Victorian detective Damian Marrett told Hayes he believes Murphy's disappearance is the result of foul play, as changes in her digital data could suggest it was a "targeted attack".

Superintendent Hatt suggested police believed whoever helped Ms Murphy disappear had specifically targeted her.
'We have no intelligence or evidence to suggest that there’s any risk to anyone else,' he said.
100%. The investigation is very well resourced and will be making progress each day. I believe it's just a matter of time before it is solved.

Yes Damian Marrett did say that however it is only a suggestion.

I guess what Hatt said in the presser is open to interpretation. His statement could be taken literally, as in they had no intelligence or evidence at the time to suggest risk to others, the police may genuinely not know what has happened to Samantha. An another alternative is that they believe it was some type of accident.

After the 2018 murder of Eurydice Dixon, the Vic police copped a lot of backlash about warning women with regard to their personal safety walking alone.
They don’t tend to warn people anymore.

But surely if they thought there was a murderer on the loose, they would be asking people to be on guard, jog in pairs etc. I'd be annoyed if they didn't warn me that there was a random murderer on the loose.

Last edited:
After the 2018 murder of Eurydice Dixon, the Vic police copped a lot of backlash about warning women with regard to their personal safety walking alone.
They don’t tend to warn people anymore.

That explains it I guess. I have now dusted off my personal alarm for early morning walks with my dogs in the bush. <modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that’s true.

I tend to notice it more when I as a woman am telling a man to do something or giving constructive criticism. It can cause real anger.

It can happen with women too of course but I don’t tend to see this anger in them. Because it’s not insulting to them. They might disagree, they might be annoyed but not enraged.

Of course this is just my personal observation based on my personal experiences.

And I’m not a very assertive person. And there’s a stigma of a middle aged woman giving feedback as being a *insert woman’s name here*.

I’m not talking about women who are really rude and complain about silly things.

But being a middle aged woman I find even when my requests are reasonable and polite some people really resent it.
There’s a fair bit of misogyny in general - women are ‘ bossy’ men are ‘assertive ‘ etc etc in my opinion some men don’t like taking instructions from a women and don’t like women in powerful position - but of course most positions of power or influence are held by men.

I think it is important to remember that stats - they don’t paint all of the picture but it’s important to remember how violence against women is at horrendous levels.

I don’t think it is usual for woman to commit murder , only about 10% of murderers are women - i think women mainly murder violent partners or other family members ,of course it could be a woman - but what would the motive be here ?

Overwhelming statistics show women are killed by a male partner - often a very dangerous time for women is when they are attempting to leave a partner or they have left.
Only about 14% of women are murdered by a stranger .

But surely if they thought there was a murderer on the loose, they would be asking people to be on guard, job in pairs etc. I'd be annoyed if they didn't warn me that there was a random murderer on the loose.
If they lock up this one, there are still murderers on the loose. We need to make our own safety assessments and plans regardless. And we do, every day.

They have said it is suspicious and more than one person involved and missing person most likely dead so it's gone beyond a missing person's case IMO.

But it's still a missing persons case, being run by the Missing Persons squad.

The police said one OR more parties

Detective Acting Superintendent Hatt said police were keeping an open mind, but believed "the most likely scenario is that her disappearance involves one or more parties".

Regarding the Victoria police helicopter/plane, wikipedia:

"The Air Wing undertake a wide variety of roles including:
  • Crime prevention and detection through regular patrols,
  • Traffic surveillance of major traffic thoroughfares,
  • Air-to-ground direction, guiding police on the ground to their targets,
  • Search and Rescue for missing people at sea and in remote places,
  • Fire duties utilising a fire bucket as an aerial fire bomber, and providing the Country Fire Authority (CFA) and the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) with aerial observation support,
  • Photographic tasks providing aerial photography for crime, traffic, planning and routine operations, as well as covert surveillance, observation and photography of criminal activities,
  • Tactical deployments."
We don't know if the 4th March footage relates to SM. I think the 17th Feb ones more clearly do. The 4th of March could be unrelated but included as it occurred on an update day (regarding increased data).

So that raises the question of how are ripples being managed/controlled??
We don't really know if any consequential ripples are being managed/controlled very well. They may have resulted in leads that the investigators are already chasing.

It just takes a lot of time probably before we are going to hear anything about it, probably not until charges are laid.

But it's still a missing persons case, being run by the Missing Persons squad.

The police said one OR more parties

Detective Acting Superintendent Hatt said police were keeping an open mind, but believed "the most likely scenario is that her disappearance involves one or more parties".

Thanks for that clarification.

If they lock up this one, there are still murderers on the loose. We need to make our own safety assessments and plans regardless. And we do, every day.
Yes I agree, women make frequent decisions about their safety , whereas men don’t even think of them, decisions that sometimes restrict their freedom - this is particularly evident in some countries

Which doesn't mean that Sam's disappearance doesn't fall into that 14%, of course.

These women were all killed by people they didn't know, in Victoria.

Jill Meagher
Yuk Ling (Renea) Lau
Tracey Connelly
Aiia Maasarwe
Masa Vukotic
Eurydice Dixon

From Jill Meagher to Aiia Maasarwe: The murders that changed Melbourne over the past decade
I quoted a few threads back that it was less than 10% if murders are random. 35% from domestic situations and 28% from known people. This could have been Australian stats, not Vic stats.

I quoted a few threads back that it was less than 10% if murders are random. 35% from domestic situations and 28% from known people. This could have been Australian stats, not Vic stats.

Whatever percentage it is, real victims fall into that smaller percentage. Like the victims I named, from Victoria.

We just don't know enough to align Sam's disappearance with any statistics at this point in time.

Who are the 27% of murdered women that are unaccounted in your statistics killed by?

imo

And experts say the “mega task” of sifting through data from phone towers in the sprawling bushland of the Woowookarung Regional Park where the mother-of-three was last seen could take weeks.

The telecomms expert in yesterday's ABC article said that it could take a team of 100 people to interrogate all that data and chase down any leads.

It is going to take big resources in people and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper