Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was someone on fb who reckon she saw her in Hawaii. This article won’t help.
Hey ThePrince, you strike me as someone who knows Ballarat. I have been studying maps to think through where I would take a van with the person I had just kidnapped ... to take them to some abandonned old farm house where there's nobody around. I keep coming back to Mt Clear to Sebastapol and then to around Cambrian Hill. Does that make sense to you? What is Cambrian Hill like? Would it fit that description? Is that a quick trip to lots of vacant land and few neighbours?

Hey ThePrince, you strike me as someone who knows Ballarat. I have been studying maps to think through where I would take a van with the person I had just kidnapped ... to take them to some abandonned old farm house where there's nobody around. I keep coming back to Mt Clear to Sebastapol and then to around Cambrian Hill. Does that make sense to you? What is Cambrian Hill like? Would it fit that description? Is that a quick trip to lots of vacant land and few neighbours?
Also I would have planned to minimise encounters with cctv. Does this route fit that?

Its an idiom

to take flight
by definition: to run away or leave a place
- The burglars took flight when the alarm sounded.
- Startled, the herd of deer took flight.
- In dangerous situations, many people freeze, fight, or take flight.
- The startled birds took flight.
None of the above actually mean to travel in a plane. It’s an expression whose meaning is more in line with: to run away, flee, make a run for it, be gone, to leave a place as quick as one can. This idiom probably originating, possibly from watching birds take flight [literally, with wings]

Maybe in 1915 but not a common turn of phrase in 2024.

I wonder if the police will be doing this. It is a speculation by "telecommunications expert Mark Gregory".

Mr Gregory suggested an automated program had likely been made to look at phone data from the two time periods, to see if the same person was nearby when Ms Austin was attacked, and when Ms Murphy went missing.

"You get a programmer to create a script to compare the data from the two occurrences – that's automated. That's what I'd be doing," he said.

<quoted post was removed>

Having watched the brief clip - the part with her friend seemed really tense & used the past tense to describe her - very sad. What did everyone else think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having watched the brief clip - the part with her friend seemed really tense & used the past tense to describe her - very sad. What did everyone else think?
Yes, very sad. So many people must be so distressed by this situation. Not knowing is the worst feeling. Imagine if her kids never know what happened to their Mum and have to spend the rest of their lives wondering. As hard as it is losing someone, it is better to know than to be in this limbo. We also must get justice for Sam if this is a crime which it obviously is. There is no way that she would choose to leave her kids and I don't think it was a health issue ... her body would have been found by now.

Hey yes I grew up there but tbh I had to google if Cambrian Hill was a "new suburb" like Winter Valley, but it isn't I was just on opposite side of town although familiar with Mt Clear and Sebas. As an outskirt type suburb, similar to others I know of, absolutely I can see Cambrian Hill as fitting that description. From a quick look on real-estate website (will attach pics of a current plus sold listings), there are plenty of acreage properties. Mt Clear and Sebas are more built up, but Napoleon's (near Cambrian Hill) etc was always "way out".

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_205222.jpg
    IMG_20240304_205222.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240304_205203.jpg
    IMG_20240304_205203.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240304_205147.jpg
    IMG_20240304_205147.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 12

"Detectives will now trawl through mobile data from the Ballarat area, with particular interest in phones that 'pinged' from towers covering the zone they believe Ms Murphy was in hours after her run".

So this is a bit different wording - data from other peoples phones that pinged in the zone hours after SM's run. IMO

The above bolded & underlined by me, grabbed my attention.

It was my understanding that police had no information on her, after the confirmation of her being at Mt Clear around 8 + am.

Now it seems they have data of her in a ‘particular area / zone’ some hours after that time. IMO

I'll be surprised if the suspect/s aren't caught very soon now that phone data is availabile.

If anyone has watched Hunted you'll know just how much information VicPol have access to, such as accessing car trackers.
I don't have GPS on my car..and I referred earlier here to a quote I saw on the cover of New Idea at the shops today, but I didn't attach a photo as I didn't have my phone with me when I went shopping. No apple watch, no airpods etc. and I'm not a crim.. so I imagine a crim would minimise their trackable devices if planning this sort of crime..

Not 100% sure with CCTV. If it's like the outskirts on the other side of town, I can't imagine there would be much. IMO
Thanks so much for that! I have a feeling about Sebastopol and Cambrian Hill ... every time I look at my map I always get drawn to them. I also reckon they used something like a Toyota Hiace to transport her ... quick slide of door throw her in and quick slide back and they're off. Perp 2 could have been in there waiting to have her put in. She may have come back to consciousness during trip so he would be making sure she can't move or scream with ties gag etc. Plenty of outbuildings on those properties to keep her or worst scenario, plenty of room to bury a body. I have nightmares every night about this scenario but in it she is never dead.

Thanks so much for that! I have a feeling about Sebastopol and Cambrian Hill ... every time I look at my map I always get drawn to them. I also reckon they used something like a Toyota Hiace to transport her ... quick slide of door throw her in and quick slide back and they're off. Perp 2 could have been in there waiting to have her put in. She may have come back to consciousness during trip so he would be making sure she can't move or scream with ties gag etc. Plenty of outbuildings on those properties to keep her or worst scenario, plenty of room to bury a body. I have nightmares every night about this scenario but in it she is never dead.
I was going to say I feel like you have an intuition about Cambrian Hill and from what I've looked up, definitely don't discount it! I just wish I'd driven that way a few days ago when I went for a funeral, I could have attached some real photos, however real-estate.com.au gives a good indication of the huge blocks...

Ok just realised my aunt lives at Napoleons and has a mine on her property. I didn't get around to visiting but my niece and nephew did recently and had photos down the mine. It's a 2min/3km drive from Cambrian Hill so I assume properties there may also have mines.

I don't have GPS on my car..and I referred earlier here to a quote I saw on the cover of New Idea at the shops today, but I didn't attach a photo as I didn't have my phone with me when I went shopping. No apple watch, no airpods etc. and I'm not a crim.. so I imagine a crim would minimise their trackable devices if planning this sort of crime..

Car tracker being one example out of many. They are able to piece together people's movements with the smallest amount of information. Have you watched the show? I recommend you do so that you can see the type of information and surveillance that's available for police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper