Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I would love her to be alive I think unfortunately we have to be realistic here that this isn’t going to be a positive outcome.

If they thought that there was a possibility she was still alive and was being held somewhere wouldn’t they have just had the POI under constant surveillance to see where he goes to as that could lead them to her rather than arresting him at this stage

Seeing as he was arrested yesterday, they cannot hold him without charge, I imagine that is happening today and VicPol are keeping it quiet till press release or tomorrow post process.
Source- Law Society NSW
Wasn’t Gregory Lyn arrested then charged 4 days later? From a search it seems that the ‘reasonable time’ for being arrested and held before being charged isn’t defined in the Crimes Act. If anyone knows more I’m curious to know!

<modsnip - quoted post was not an approved source>
I think Efas does update daily though, we have seen past cases in which names have appeared same day.

Having a Quick Look at the list, can’t see anything that stands out just yet.

Should be under Ballarat CIU. Perhaps check every hour and see it a new name appears

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - not an approved source>

edit - slight differences in legislation (state based) in Vic - vic says "reasonable" time (how long is a piece of string) - my sense is that they would have some evidence in their pocket so this is leading to an arrest but the questioning process might involve the 22 yr old getting legal advice, medical review etc which can add time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shocking detail in police update on missing mum Samantha Murphy investigation​

Paraphrased

Article suggests that Sam could still be alive as police released a statement saying

“Anyone who sights Samantha is asked to call triple-0 (000) immediately,” the statement said.
Its been 5 weeks of being missing, unbelievable if it's true ! Her body still hasn't been found, there is always hope

I’m still thinking it was a hit and run, panicked, body taken and removed. The roads within these areas are prone to this happening. Roads are tight, dirt sides, people distracted on phones, nobody does the limit. I am no fan of the roads in the areas around where this has occurred. I generally cut through buninyong to avoid the Ballarat metro. I stopped doing it night due to near misses.

It was the first thing that came to mind when I heard of the area. That stupid bloody road and someone probably being hit.
IMO - But why would you cover up an accident?

@OptimusLime not refreshing this thread with us? priorities!!

edit - slight differences in legislation (state based) in Vic - vic says "reasonable" time (how long is a piece of string) - my sense is that they would have some evidence in their pocket so this is leading to an arrest but the questioning process might involve the 22 yr old getting legal advice, medical review etc which can add time.ody
As he has been arrested, I guess the right to remain silent applies. He could have been sitting there for over 24 hrs in custody and not respond to any questions (or with no comment answers).

The fact that he has been arrested, as opposed to being asked to come to the police station for a chat, there must be some evidence against him, particularly enough for a judge to issue the warrant for the arrest at his home. It could be for either a major or minor role in the disappearance of SM. If more people involved, it would make sense it would be for more minor role like accessory before/after the fact so the investigators could apply pressure on him, maybe even with incentives, to offer up info on the other person/parties involved. The indication if this is the case could be if he is eventually released without charge. He could always be re-arrested again later.

IMO - But why would you cover up an accident?
Could be driving unlicensed, drugs/alcohol in system, out on bail - I added an article earlier in this forum about an unlicensed man hitting an Aboriginal lady on highway, so the man and his mother moved the body etc. unfortunately for them they'd left part of her leg behind which someone then found so it unravelled from there

Missing Persons Squad detectives interviewed Greg Lynn for four days after his arrest.
This guy could be there for a while too!
IMO he'll decide against toughing it out for too long, once Vicpol have outlined what he can do/say in order to ensure that his foreseeable future is a little more bearable than it otherwise would be....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatGran