Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM. I still think Sam might be hidden in a mine. Mines are great hiding spots because they are remote and hard to search. It's a quick way to hide a body, and the deep, dark tunnels make it tough for search dogs to find any scent. Plus, tracking signals from devices like an Apple Watch is difficult in such locations. Mines are also dangerous and complex, making it hard for people to search them safely and quickly. This means that finding a body hidden in a mine can take a long time, giving whoever hid it a big advantage.
The vast majority of entrances to mines in Ballarat are likely to be from shafts, not drives. So unless he's got abseiling gear, it's a straight drop from the top to the level of the vein, when it would turn horizontal. Easy enough to push something down, but not a safe descent for a living person. The mine below could be collapsed, crumbling, filled with water. Any derelict mine is at extreme risk of collapse. Mines over a century old, it's not if, but when.

MOO

As far as I know, the Tomato War continues to this day, I know my brother is a sort of field marshall in his battalion. Won a few and lost a few !

At this moment, the body of Dr Mosley has been found, 10 metres from the beach at Symi, in Greece. Vid clips show the police reeling back a bit from the odour of decomposition, . Things happen to the human body in the heat, fast....

..to relate this to Mrs Murphy, it is summer in Greece and the day he disappeared it was 52 C , ( thats about 124 F ) apparently he had entered a sort of cave above the beach. A dog search missed his body, but apparently the dog was overheated and had to be evacuated back to Athens...

But the body was found after 5 days, ... above ground, in the summer heat, but , I think, in a sort of shaded area ( the cave) ... it underlines the idea that her body ( Mrs Murphy _ ) was not left out in the open, in the summer heat ( it was around 34 C the day she was murdered ) or even in a shaded area, but somewhere else.
If you read the latest CCTV report, from the resort, Dr Mosely was seen stumbling, then fell.
"CCTV footage which emerged tonight showed the 67-year-old gingerly picking his way down a slope then falling out of view at 3.44pm that afternoon."

Last edited:
If you read the latest CCV report, from the resort, Dr Mosely was seen stumbling, then fell.
Wrong thread @tmar. :)
Scratch that, I just read where he is referred to in the quoted post you are referring too. I think I've had too much internet-ing today.
So very sad that CCTV essentially caught him dying. If only someone saw him at the time.

Thanks to all websleuthers who’ve contributed to info on possibilities of cremation and septic tanks. Please bear with me as I attempt to summarise what I see as being the general consensus amongst websleuths thus far re method of disposal/concealment of body of SM…. :(

From the info provided it seems to me like the general consensus is: 1) burning/cremation is unlikely, 2) septic tank a possibility, but likely to be difficult to execute without an easy-to-access tank and most likely some “assistance” as well (so-to-speak….)

… Which takes us back to the original more endorsed possibilities of 3) water - pond, lake, dam (unlikely says Trooper based on some quite extensive facts he’s presented Re difficulty of submerging bodies in water), and 4) mineshaft and/or some kind of 5) hole/soil burial…

Do other WSs concur with this attempt to summarise current thinking, or do you have different views? (All ideas are welcome :))

JMO
I agree - thanks for summarising

No one takes their phone with them for a run if you have the watch, that’s the whole purpose for having the watch…….so you can run freely without having to carry a phone!.
Sorry, but this is a gross generalisation. Mrs Murphy took her phone while going for a run and she had the watch. Many active wear pants have a place for your phone. What about people who need reading glasses to see their watches.

Great and long overdue. As a former Bendigonian, I strongly recommend that any program focuses on local AFL football clubs. They are hotbeds of misogyny, toxic masculinity and substance abuse. Grown men (who never grew up themselves) worship the young talented players and drive their egos (buy them beers at the bar, hand them envelopes with cash). Instead they should be supporting them as positive role models. All country football teams seem to be like this, from my experience in Victoria. Oh, and if you’re a good player, there’s always someone to ‘cover’ for you if you do the wrong thing (drink driving, violent behaviour etc)…they are made to feel untouchable.
I have several friends who went on to play senior AFL and have heard many stories about big nights out where their managers have cleaned up after them (such as collecting CCTV) after they do something illegal that could damage either their reputation or the football club.
Touché….brilliant.

The vast majority of entrances to mines in Ballarat are likely to be from shafts, not drives. So unless he's got abseiling gear, it's a straight drop from the top to the level of the vein, when it would turn horizontal. Easy enough to push something down, but not a safe descent for a living person. The mine below could be collapsed, crumbling, filled with water. Any derelict mine is at extreme risk of collapse. Mines over a century old, it's not if, but when.

MOO
Correct. My father and his entire extended family of great uncles are gold-mining tragics. They go out every weekend with metal detectors searching for gold and there’s big-talk (unsubstantiated) of large gold nuggets found and held in family safes.
My point is that local people have intimate knowledge of the topography of local bush and know exactly where the old mine shafts are. They don’t want to accidentally fall in whilst trying to ‘make it rain’ from an improbable eureka moment.

Touché….brilliant.
Unfortunately, in my experience, people who are “enabled” (rather than forced to take appropriate responsibility for their actions) early on in life, tend to only become more and more emboldened over time, especially when they are repeatedly “rescued” and/or suffer little or no adverse consequences for their actions…

Although this is 100% conjecture, I suspect that in this particular case we are likely to see such a pattern in relation to the accused…

“A stitch in time saves nine” as the saying goes…
:rolleyes: :oops:

JMO

MOO
You’re right; most mines are vertical. However, there are exceptions. For instance, at Sovereign Hill, the mine replicas feature more accessible entrances. Also, around Ballarat, there are some old alluvial sites and adits that have gentler access points. It’s quite possible that PS is familiar with these locations. An old gold mining area, Poverty Gully Mine has remnants of adits and alluvial workings. It's not a tourist site. Then Specimen Hill -- located close to Buninyong, also has both old alluvial diggings and adits from the 19th-century. The site is actually largely forgotten and overgrown, with some accessible tunnels and shallow workings from the past. You just need to know where they are. Slaty Creek has numerous small diggings and shallow adits. Newington Mine has several shallow pits. All those places are kind of forgotten historical mining areas. JMO.

Totally agree. I also have 2 sons and my husband and I have done our best to raise respectful humans. It starts at home, continues in childcare, school, after school activities, uni, work and life in general. For what it's worth, my kids were never involved in AFL football and have turned out pretty awesome.

I'm not sure what this targeted campaign in Ballarat will achieve, if anything. I don't remember the specifics, but it's in several articles posted pages ago, that PS featured in some sort of anti drink driving campaign while at school. Fat lot of good that did. A case of do what I say, not what I do?

Those were awful days on the farm, for sure, BN. My father and brothers used to have terrific arguments about it, my brothers wanted to have headstones for the horses, my father would scream about the cost of it, ' marble, marble!!' my mother would be soothing everyone... days of drama. My sisters felt the same about the sheep, so went the days of our lives on the farm..

local vets really only cremate very small animals, your kitty, or your dachshund, or your budgerigar..... I don't think we need to go into what happens to the larger animals in this forum.. there may be minors reading it. . :(
I have my animals in silk pillowcases buried in the backyard.

…or anyone close to him…? :eek:

Great question Rocket333
I wouldn’t be surprised. I grew up in rural Victoria and my family were keen duck and rabbit hunters. My father gifted me my first rifle and motorbike (peewee 50) when I was about 10 years old. He taught me gun safety and we would go to the rifle range for practice. Annually, my family would excitedly prepare to go camping for duck season. We would eat any animals killed.
Nowadays, I’m ethically opposed to hunting and I would never take my own boys out hunting. Too many examples of people getting accidentally shot by a bullet skipping across the water.
Anyway, owning a gun is not uncommon in rural Victoria.

In Victoria, it is legal to own certain types of guns for either work or recreational purposes. As a kid, I obtained a junior licence which was applicable for eligibile 12-18 year olds. If I recall correctly, I needed to obtain a licence and abide by regulations such as keeping the weapon in a locked location that was separate from where I held the ammunition. My licence was for recreational purposes, which was for duck hunting. So, I also needed to sit an exam to demonstrate that I could identify types of ducks and ensure that I understood which ducks were endangered and illegal to shoot.

Just to add, for our international friends, gun ownership in Australia has been massively tightened up since the Port Arthur massacre in 1996, when a lone gunman killed 35 people in Tasmania and injured 23 others.
Leading up to this moment there had been significant public health lobbying to improve gun safety, but this incident was the catalyst that led to gun reform in Australia. It resulted in a government buy-back scheme of 650,000 longarm weapons and 70,000 handguns (focused on semi-automatic weapons capable of inflicting mass damage within short periods of time).

Thanks to all websleuthers who’ve contributed to info on possibilities of cremation and septic tanks. Please bear with me as I attempt to summarise what I see as being the general consensus amongst websleuths thus far re method of disposal/concealment of body of SM…. :(

From the info provided it seems to me like the general consensus is: 1) burning/cremation is unlikely, 2) septic tank a possibility, but likely to be difficult to execute without an easy-to-access tank and most likely some “assistance” as well (so-to-speak….)

… Which takes us back to the original more endorsed possibilities of 3) water - pond, lake, dam (unlikely says Trooper based on some quite extensive facts he’s presented Re difficulty of submerging bodies in water), and 4) mineshaft and/or some kind of 5) hole/soil burial…

Do other WSs concur with this attempt to summarise current thinking, or do you have different views? (All ideas are welcome :))

JMO
Most victims of opportunistic crimes on this site seem to be hastily disposed of in a remote area covered by brush or buried in a very shallow grave (My own impression only). It is exceptionally difficult to locate human remains even when the search area is very small (there is a whole thread on this site for this). There are dozens of cases where the missing was lying out in the open in areas previously searched by professionals multiple times.

That she has not been located should in no way lead people to think she must be cleverly concealed.

Sorry, but this is a gross generalisation. Mrs Murphy took her phone while going for a run and she had the watch. Many active wear pants have a place for your phone. What about people who need reading glasses to see their watches.
Yep - I run with my phone AND watch. My watch isn’t the cellular model so I can’t stream music from it or anything, I need my phone for that. It’s just for tracking my run.

Great and long overdue. As a former Bendigonian, I strongly recommend that any program focuses on local AFL football clubs. They are hotbeds of misogyny, toxic masculinity and substance abuse. Grown men (who never grew up themselves) worship the young talented players and drive their egos (buy them beers at the bar, hand them envelopes with cash). Instead they should be supporting them as positive role models. All country football teams seem to be like this, from my experience in Victoria. Oh, and if you’re a good player, there’s always someone to ‘cover’ for you if you do the wrong thing (drink driving, violent behaviour etc)…they are made to feel untouchable.
I have several friends who went on to play senior AFL and have heard many stories about big nights out where their managers have cleaned up after them (such as collecting CCTV) after they do something illegal that could damage either their reputation or the football club.
Very true. In fact, even at the elite level (VFL as it was known then but since renamed to AFL) it wasn't uncommon for problems to be just 'made to go away.' Some the media cottoned on to at the time. Others were done so discretely they only became known about when people released books decades later and hinted to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader