SC - 5 dead, inc. Dr Robert Lesslie & 2 children in shooting, Rock Hill, Apr 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Snippet from a link previously posted by @brazgal (thank you!)

"Whether he suffered long-lasting concussion-related injuries wasn’t immediately clear. Adams would not have been eligible for testing as part of a broad settlement between the league and its former players over such injuries, because he hadn’t retired by 2014. Adams’ father told a Charlotte television station that he blamed football for problems his son had, and which might have led him to commit Wednesday’s violence." (BBM)

So, I am assuming this means the league wouldn't pay for testing after the 2014 settlement, right? So, my question is... if Adams or his family suspected he had concussion-related injuries couldn't he (Adams) have "paid out of his own pocket" for medical testing as well as possibly obtaining treatment? Surely, he could have afforded such, or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

ETA link:
Former NFL player Phillip Adams killed 5, then himself, authorities say

Snippet from a link previously posted by @brazgal (thank you!)

"Whether he suffered long-lasting concussion-related injuries wasn’t immediately clear. Adams would not have been eligible for testing as part of a broad settlement between the league and its former players over such injuries, because he hadn’t retired by 2014. Adams’ father told a Charlotte television station that he blamed football for problems his son had, and which might have led him to commit Wednesday’s violence." (BBM)

So, I am assuming this means the league wouldn't pay for testing after the 2014 settlement, right? So, my question is... if Adams or his family suspected he had concussion-related injuries couldn't he (Adams) have "paid out of his own pocket" for medical testing as well as possibly obtaining treatment? Surely, he could have afforded such, or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

ETA link:
Former NFL player Phillip Adams killed 5, then himself, authorities say

“We encouraged him to explore all of his disability options and he wouldn’t do it,” Casterline added. “I knew he was hurting and missing football but he wouldn’t take health tips offered to him. He said he would but he wouldn’t.”

He opened a smoothie shop/juice bar - so he either had a good amount of money or dang good credit for a business loan. Sounds like people tried to help but he wouldn’t do anything.

It’s also possible there were subtle signs before the NFL.

JMO

Couldn't he (Adams) have "paid out of his own pocket" for medical testing as well as possibly obtaining treatment? Surely, he could have afforded such, or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Adams had earned the income to pay for such tests and treatments. Even accounting for the possibility of circumstances leading to Adams not being able to pocket his full contract amounts, it was very likely that he was earning 300K a year minimum.

As to whether Adams had the ability to pay for such tests and treatment after football ended for him is an entirely different story.

As another poster related, a good number of players come from backgrounds that yield little or no money management skills, spend wildly thinking that they will soon be earning NFL super star money, and are approached by alot of family, friends etc. with the expectation of favors.

Then factor in that living in alot of NFL team cities is expensive. NFL players are prime robbery / home invasion for jealous gangsters. As a result, players probably cannot scrimp on residence locations- even if they were inclined to to so.

"We feel really close right now. The whole family thing a lot of times is overused, but we're a lot stronger team today than we were three days ago," said Joel Long, CEO of the Gastonia based heating and air conditioning company, on Friday. "There's a lot of people holding each other, and helping each other, and praying with each other.

"We feel humbled and blessed. We're really hurting for the families, but we're also stronger because of all the outreach and frankly, the comfort and caring from the community."

We appreciate all the love and support we've felt in these last 36 hours," Long said.

And the community has also reached out to the co-workers of Lewis and Shook. Counselors from Gastonia's First United Methodist Church, where Long attends, were at the shop on Thursday, he said.

"As men, we think we're tough, and a lot of our people are pretty tough," Long said. "But we just know the grief counseling stuff is going to take a long time."
Prayers please: GSM responds after employee killed in SC mass shooting

Rock Hill Community Members React After Mass Shooting - WCCB Charlotte's CW

Last edited:
I don’t know if it’s bad reporting but there’s some conflicting information....or just information that’s being withheld, I suppose. Adam’s seemed very devoted to his Mother, calling her his inspiration, during his NFL years. She was badly disabled in a car accident but is still alive. The sister said they were a close family...but they hadn’t seen him in 1 1/2 years. It seems he was living with a 15 drive of home, with m0ney enough to start a juice business...or credit enough to get a loan...but he ghosted his family.

Having been close, how did they just let that happen? Was there a falling out that left both sides estranged? Then sudden;y, he is in such a bad place, that he comes home to live.

If the Dr was treating him, it had to have been of a very short duration. Hardly time enough to enrage a man to visit his home and slaughter everyone he sees. Even if he wouldn’t write a prescription. Seems off to me.

I wonder if this isn’t a man whose luck ran out...wanting someone to blame. Who better than this happy, wealthy family down the road.

The statement said:

“Members of the Lesslie Family and close friends have organized the community memorial for a public remembrance and celebration of the lives of Robert, Barbara, Adah and Noah. Members of the community who wish to attend are asked to dress in bright colors and come in a spirit of joy and hope in the grace and peace we have in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The outdoor service will include music, prayer and words of remembrance and hope. Candles and bubbles will be provided.

The family asked that balloons not be brought and released.

The memorial provides a single community event for family, friends and the public to share, the family said.
https://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/article250548434.html

I don’t know if it’s bad reporting but there’s some conflicting information....or just information that’s being withheld, I suppose. Adam’s seemed very devoted to his Mother, calling her his inspiration, during his NFL years. She was badly disabled in a car accident but is still alive. The sister said they were a close family...but they hadn’t seen him in 1 1/2 years. It seems he was living with a 15 drive of home, with m0ney enough to start a juice business...or credit enough to get a loan...but he ghosted his family.

Having been close, how did they just let that happen? Was there a falling out that left both sides estranged? Then sudden;y, he is in such a bad place, that he comes home to live.

If the Dr was treating him, it had to have been of a very short duration. Hardly time enough to enrage a man to visit his home and slaughter everyone he sees. Even if he wouldn’t write a prescription. Seems off to me.

I wonder if this isn’t a man whose luck ran out...wanting someone to blame. Who better than this happy, wealthy family down the road.

I'm still seeing conflicting information whether the doctor ever treated him or not.

Maybe he's just another angry injustice collector who targeted a beloved doctor, and family who he felt had a good life.

His father seem to know the murdered family. He said they were good people. Perhaps his son knew of them too, and how much they were admired by all in their community?

I tend to think he hadn't been treated by the murdered doctor.

Maybe in his enraged mind he had grown to have abnormal disdain for doctors in general so he murdered the closest one to where he lived.

Jonathan Sierre, a Fox reporter just reported the HVAC worker who Adam's also shot several times is still fighting for his life. :(

Jmho

Last edited:
Full statement from Shook family:

On behalf of the entire Shook family, we are completely devastated by the event that occurred on Wednesday in Rock Hill, South Carolina. Our deepest sympathies go out to the deceased and their loved ones. Senseless violence has claimed the souls of some wonderful loved ones, and we have little to no answers of why. Our eternal gratitude goes out to all of the emergency personnel that responded that day; the police, the deputies, the EMS, the doctors that have worked tirelessly. As for Rob, we just continue to ask for prayers and all of the prayers to keep flooding in. As far as his condition, the family has just asked that you continue to pray for him please. While we will try and move forward, we will never forget this day. We will not let hate win over love. We will not be defeated by this senseless violence. We will preserve and honor the souls that were lost that day because no matter what, their lives do matter.
Survivor of mass shooting from Cherryville still recovering

US-NEWS-SC-SHOOTING-2-GET.jpg

Jack Logan, founder of Put Down the Guns Young People, places stuffed animals and flowers outside of Riverview Family Medicine and Urgent Care after the fatal shooting of Dr. Robert Lesslie and four others the previous day, on Thursday in Rock Hill, South Carolina.
Photo by Sean Rayford / Getty Images / TNS
Police seek answers after former NFL player kills 5, himself - The Iola Register

The Boston University CTE Center defines the condition as "a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in people with a history of repetitive brain trauma (often athletes), including symptomatic concussions as well as asymptomatic subconcussive hits to the head that do not cause symptoms."
Phillip Adams, shooting suspect, will have brain tested for CTE

The Trust’s Brain & Body Assessment uses individually tailored assessments by such medical institutions as the Cleveland Clinic and Mass General to give retired players an in-depth evaluation of overall health. The assessments include internal, neurological, neuropsychological/behavioral, cardiovascular and musculoskeletal exams. Also featured is rehabilitation and evaluations of sleep habits, body composition and diet.

“All the areas they examined and assessed,” former NFL player Kendall Simmons said, “from nutrition to body composition, to orthopedics, to mental health examinations, to cognitive and general wellness assessments. I felt very secure having had such a thorough physical.”

Citing confidentially, the league and union would not say whether Adams took advantage of any of these programs.

“He was a good quiet kid. He overworked,” said former Dallas Cowboys defensive back Kevin Smith, who helped train Adams for the 2012 draft. “I used to have to tell him you don’t have to do so much. …

“Recently, our only communication was through Instagram and he was real short. He didn’t say a whole lot. That was just him. He was such a good kid. I didn’t see mental issues outside of the fact that his pride was a double-edged sword. What drove him, all the hard work, also worked against him.”
Adams said to have spurned NFL, union health programs

York County Coroner Sabrina Gast told McClatchy Newspapers on Friday that she had gotten approval from Adams' family for the procedure to be included as part of his autopsy, which will be performed at the Medical University of South Carolina. The hospital will be working with , whose chronic traumatic encephalopathy center conducts research on the long-term effects of repetitive brain trauma in athletes and military personnel, according to its website.
Report: Ex-NFL player's brain probed for trauma-related harm

Last edited:
“He was so gentle, so kind with each one of them,” said Dr. Brent Turner with Camp Joy. “We’re all really stunned right now. I think a lot of people are just trying to figure out what’s going to happen next. I know campers already, we’re seeing a few of them who have Facebook, they're responding and they’re trying to figure out reality and they’re hurt”.

Turner is talking about Dr. Robert Lesslie, his wife Barbara and two of their grandkids - Adah and Noah - who were killed Wednesday night in a mass shooting. All four were loved at Camp Joy, a Christian camp, where they spent time working with people with special needs.

“We needed a doctor for camp. As you can imagine with special needs we need doctors, we need nurses and Dr. Lesslie gave up a whole week of his practice,” said Turner.
Community remembers victims of Rock Hill mass shooting

With guns so prevalent in the United States, there may be a last line of defense when a person decides to use a gun for evil purposes. Arizona based company Defendry developed artificial intelligence technology that integrates with existing surveillance systems. The software recognizes a weapon then triggers actions like automatic door locks, cell phone alerts and calls to law enforcement.

Defendry has clients including schools, retail centers, businesses and amusement parks. CEO Pat Sullivan said the cost can be about as much as an security guard, but the impact is priceless.

“What is the emotional cost to the community, for it to happen, you can't put a number it,” said Sullivan.
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...ok-at-how-to-prevent-or-reduce-mass-shootings

Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., in an interview with WBTV, said Adams’ doctor, Robert Lesslie — one of the victims of the shootings — had stopped giving Adams medication.

Norman said he was close friends with the doctor.

“My understanding [is] he was treating him, and had, from my understanding, stopped giving him medicine, and that’s what triggered the killings,” Norman said. “I heard that from law enforcement.”
Ex-NFL Player’s Meds Were Reportedly Stopped Before Shootings

The Boston University CTE Center defines the condition as "a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in people with a history of repetitive brain trauma (often athletes), including symptomatic concussions as well as asymptomatic subconcussive hits to the head that do not cause symptoms."
Phillip Adams, shooting suspect, will have brain tested for CTE

The Trust’s Brain & Body Assessment uses individually tailored assessments by such medical institutions as the Cleveland Clinic and Mass General to give retired players an in-depth evaluation of overall health. The assessments include internal, neurological, neuropsychological/behavioral, cardiovascular and musculoskeletal exams. Also featured is rehabilitation and evaluations of sleep habits, body composition and diet.

“All the areas they examined and assessed,” former NFL player Kendall Simmons said, “from nutrition to body composition, to orthopedics, to mental health examinations, to cognitive and general wellness assessments. I felt very secure having had such a thorough physical.”

Citing confidentially, the league and union would not say whether Adams took advantage of any of these programs.

“He was a good quiet kid. He overworked,” said former Dallas Cowboys defensive back Kevin Smith, who helped train Adams for the 2012 draft. “I used to have to tell him you don’t have to do so much. …

“Recently, our only communication was through Instagram and he was real short. He didn’t say a whole lot. That was just him. He was such a good kid. I didn’t see mental issues outside of the fact that his pride was a double-edged sword. What drove him, all the hard work, also worked against him.”
Adams said to have spurned NFL, union health programs

York County Coroner Sabrina Gast told McClatchy Newspapers on Friday that she had gotten approval from Adams' family for the procedure to be included as part of his autopsy, which will be performed at the Medical University of South Carolina. The hospital will be working with , whose chronic traumatic encephalopathy center conducts research on the long-term effects of repetitive brain trauma in athletes and military personnel, according to its website.
Report: Ex-NFL player's brain probed for trauma-related harm
Has anyone found his IG page?

Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., in an interview with WBTV, said Adams’ doctor, Robert Lesslie — one of the victims of the shootings — had stopped giving Adams medication.

“My understanding [is] he was treating him, and had, from my understanding, stopped giving him medicine, and that’s what triggered the killings,” Norman said. “I heard that from law enforcement.”
I am not sure, if, close friend or not, the doctor would have told the Rep that and HIPPA laws would prevent him from knowing it any other way. It sounds like an assumption to me.

The Mystery of Why a Foundering Football Player Killed a Family
A small city that bills itself as Football City U.S.A. is grappling with the shooting deaths of members of a prominent local family by Phillip Adams who, many say, had been adrift after his N.F.L. career ended.

The Mystery of Why a Foundering Football Player Killed a Family

The NY Times article I posted above is right on regarding how much despair and feeling lost and depressed so many football players can feel once their careers come to an end without the legacy careers and contracts that had perhaps once envisioned. And it is very sad, but it's also very, very common.

Even just numbers wise, you have 90 players on a training camp roster - then at the start of the season, each team has to cut their roster to 53 players. So that's 37 players a team and there are 32 NFL teams - that's at least 1,184 players a year who lose their jobs. Every single year. It's obviously more complex and nuanced than those numbers, but my point is while sad, it's happening every day in professional football. And yet, we aren't reading of these players committing mass murders, including strangers and children. So what is different in this case?

And yea, I read the part about how he came from a football town that produced stars, etc and held himself to high expectations. But guess what? EVERY player on an NFL roster was the star of his high school, the star of his hometown, the star of his college. Do you know how hard it is to make an NFL roster? Every player at that level was the best. And then they get to the NFL and now everyone is that good, the game is faster, the players bigger, and they aren't the best one anymore and there's always the next man up competing for your job.

And yes, the fallout is real, the injuries, head traumas, bankruptcies, the fact that many leave college early to go pro and never got the college degree to fall back on, etc, etc etc. The average NFL career is about 3 years. But again, we don't see instances where they are committing a mass shooting.

It has to be some kind of mental illness or CTE. Maybe how the career ended triggered some kind of depression or started a spiral, but it would have to be something much bigger than that. Especially because we aren't hearing a lot come out like, "Oh THAT guy. I always thought he was off or am not surprised that he did this."

Or maybe he was just a violent, sociopath. No idea. But I think it has to be something beyond just upset and stewing that his football career ended.

Last edited:

I am not sure, if, close friend or not, the doctor would have told the Rep that and HIPPA laws would prevent him from knowing it any other way. It sounds like an assumption to me.
Well it sounds like the rep said that law enforcement told him that, not that the doctor had told him that. But in the press conference, law enforcement said they had no indication that the doctor had been treating him? So it is very confusing!

With guns so prevalent in the United States, there may be a last line of defense when a person decides to use a gun for evil purposes. Arizona based company Defendry developed artificial intelligence technology that integrates with existing surveillance systems. The software recognizes a weapon then triggers actions like automatic door locks, cell phone alerts and calls to law enforcement.

Defendry has clients including schools, retail centers, businesses and amusement parks. CEO Pat Sullivan said the cost can be about as much as an security guard, but the impact is priceless.

“What is the emotional cost to the community, for it to happen, you can't put a number it,” said Sullivan.
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...ok-at-how-to-prevent-or-reduce-mass-shootings
I find it sad, that it has come to this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back