SC - 5 dead, inc. Dr Robert Lesslie & 2 children in shooting, Rock Hill, Apr 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How hooked was he? And if his ‘need’ was so desperate, then I must ask...where were his parents?

He must either have an addiction problem that was overwhelming and obvious, or anger issues that didn’t start yesterday.
I like your use of the "and" followed by the inclusion of overwhelming anger issues.

He could well have been a budding addict (the victim would not have facilitated addiction- thus he cut him off), but I doubt Adams would ever have been desperate.

Unethical doctors cranking out easy opiod prescriptions are easy to find via social media chat, or a little trial and error regarding "clinics". There is no need for desperation.

Just look for the clinic in the rough part of town that does not take insurance (pill mills are cash or maybe credit- they dont want their prescriptions being reviewed by an insurance company). Ten note addicted customers coming and going.

Finding an upscale and discrete pill mill doctor may take a little longer. But I dont think Adams would have insisted on an upscale source.

Last edited:
I like your use of the "and" followed by the inclusion of overwhelming anger issues.

He could well have been a budding addict (the victim would not have facilitated addiction- thus he cut him off), but I doubt Adams would ever have been desperate.

Unethical doctors cranking out easy opiod prescriptions are easy to find via social media chat, or a little trial and error regarding "clinics". There is no need for desperation.

Rather just look for the clinic providing a bare "examination" room and a cash register (cash or credit only- no insurance as we dont want our prescriptions questioned) and- addicted customers coming and going.

Finding an upscale pill mill doctor may take a little longer, but I dont think Adams would have insisted on an upscale source.
He had had a severe injury during his career that required screws and plates in his foot i believe. That would have been very painful and he would have undoubtedly been give pain med back then. Compound that with normal pain that former football players have, and he could have been taking opioids (legally or illegally) ever since. The last few years has seen real effort to cut opioid addiction and prescription, so it could be that he was increasingly finding it difficult to get his.

The last few years has seen real effort to cut opioid addiction and prescription, so it could be that he was increasingly finding it difficult to get his.

That is a good point. Now that I think of it, the documentaries I watched depicting numerous and blatant pill mills were not filmed that recently.

As you stated, there have been enforcement measures including arrests of doctors. Then again, my addicted friend has had access to a pill mill(s) for years. But... he is a long term customer. Perhaps that gives him trusted "seniority" of sorts?

Anybody have any insight as to the difficulty of an addict still being able to easily find a pill mill alternative after being cut off?

Last edited:

Just look for the clinic in the rough part of town with a no frills interior and that does not take insurance (pill mills are cash or maybe credit- they dont want prescriptions being reviewed by an insurance company) and- addicted customers coming and going.

Finding an upscale pill mill doctor may take a little longer, but I dont think Adams would have insisted on an upscale source.

You make a very good point about availability of lax “prescribers.”

But this killer was new to the area, having just returned to live with his parents. He may have been a new patient of the Doctor and, if he had previously been treated by a less ethical individual, suddenly found himself unable to acquire what he wanted,

This...and anger issues...and probably very low self esteem having gone from the NFL back to living in his parents modest home...and we have the makings of a horrific rage.

He wasn’t interested in finding a new source. He wasn’t focused just in the Doctor. Every one of those poor souls, from the little children to the work men...were systematically terrified then destroyed. It’s a nightmare scene to think who he shot first, who he hunted down, what the babies saw...or did they die first as their grandparents watched?

But this killer was new to the area, having just returned to live with his parents. He may have been a new patient of the Doctor and, if he had previously been treated by a less ethical individual, suddenly found himself unable to acquire what he wanted,

This...and anger issues...and probably very low self esteem having gone from the NFL back to living in his parents modest home...and we have the makings of a horrific rage. He wasn’t interested in finding a new source....

I think your assessment of a "perfect storm" of rage, entitlement, being cut off and unfamiliar with local alternative sources (Who, as Prairie Wind mentioned, might not be that blatant and numerous anymore) could well be horribly accurate.

What a nightmare combination of circumstances!

Adams, NFL veteran who killed 5, known as quiet, troubled

https://www.sacbee.com/news/article250535394.html
From this article...

‘Both Smith and Casterline said Adams opened a smoothie and juice store before the coronavirus pandemic hit.’

(I wonder if that failed as so many small businesses did with the pandemic and lockdown. And that failure caused him to move in with his parents.)

“Both emphasized how much Adams trained, even overworked. They said he didn’t drink or do drugs. Smith mentioned he liked fast cars and drove too fast.

“I used to have to tell him you don’t have to do so much,” Smith said. “I would tell him it’s about preserving your body because he’d want to work out three times a day.

“This is just shocking. Recently, our only communication was through Instagram and he was real short. He didn’t say a whole lot. That was just him. He was such a good kid. I didn’t see mental issues outside of the fact that his pride was a double-edged sword. What drove him, all the hard work, also worked against him.”

(That’s a lot of working out if he was in such pain to cause him to kill over denied prescription...if that’s even the story. Maybe he saw this family as life’s winners while he kept losing. )

The article mentions that he didn’t not want to leave SC because he had a son.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/article250535394.html#storylink=cpy

Phillip Adams football: Ex-NFL player's 'mental health degraded fast'

“The sister of a former NFL player suspected of gunning down five people Wednesday before killing himself with a self-inflicted gunshot wound said her brother’s behavior shifted dramatically over the past couple of years.

“His mental health degraded fast and terribly bad,’’ Lauren Adams told USA TODAY Sports of Phillip Adams, a cornerback who played in the NFL between 2010 and 2015. “There was usual behavior. I’m not going to get into all that (symptoms). We definitely did notice signs of mental illness that was extremely concerning, that was not like we had ever seen. …”

Degraded fast? Over the past couple of years? (I wouldn’t call that fast, a year, months, weeks maybe)

So he kills small innocent children? Was he addicted to pain medicine?

If he was severely mentally ill as his sister described and aggressive plus other very distressing signs - what was he doing with a gun? Where did he get it?
I’m having a hard time processing this tragedy.
Does a mental health issue prevent people from getting guns? I thought that that law had not been renewed.

“We wouldn’t hear from him for months,’’ she said. “It was totally unlike him. He’s always been a family person.’’

Linda Adams said she thinks her brother was seeing a therapist before he retired from football and subsequently saw other doctors for his mental health issues.

As things got progressively worse, she said, her brother neglected his hygiene and withdrew from people.

“He’s always been into looking nice,’’ she said. “Like he’s always been like a ladies man. He stopped dating. It was just a lot things that were part of his character that just disappeared.

“So many people come up to me or call me or text me and ask me, ’What’s going on with your brother?’ And I’m like, 'I don't know.' "

Two weeks ago and family gathered for a funeral and Lauren Adams said her brother talked about having applied for disability benefits with the NFL.

“I know he had been applying for disability and he said they were making it hard for him,’’ Lauren Adams said. “And towards the end he felt like they were trying to basically stiff him on money.

“He felt like they were just trying to nickel and dime him. I think he got upset about that and that’s kind of where it started, with him kind of feeling like the whole world was against him.’’

Possession of Firearms by People With Mental Illness

Sadly it appears that it does not. I’m guessing his family was not aware that he had a gun in his possession.

He may have had these guns for years. The signs of mental illness only manifested recently, according to his Sister. There would have been no reason to deny him permits. The problem is recognizing when someone you love has become a danger to himself or others, and stepping up to intervene. Not an easy...or even safe thing to do...in certain situations.

Who was Phillip Adams? Shocked friends of ex-NFL player speak after SC mass shooting

“He was charged with simple assault and battery in 2009, and was acquitted of the charge in a bench trial, according to S.C. court records. Adams was convicted of speeding in 2011.

He was also charged in Mecklenburg County in 2016 with carrying a concealed gun. That charge was dismissed.

And on Tuesday, Adams was convicted of several York County traffic charges, including driving under suspension and failure to maintain proof of insurance, S.C. records show.

Adams had one son. Casterline described Adams as not having a good relationship with his son’s mother.”

Who was Phillip Adams? Shocked friends of ex-NFL player speak after SC mass shooting

“He was charged with simple assault and battery in 2009, and was acquitted of the charge in a bench trial, according to S.C. court records. Adams was convicted of speeding in 2011.

He was also charged in Mecklenburg County in 2016 with carrying a concealed gun. That charge was dismissed.

And on Tuesday, Adams was convicted of several York County traffic charges, including driving under suspension and failure to maintain proof of insurance, S.C. records show.

Adams had one son. Casterline described Adams as not having a good relationship with his son’s mother.”
And that could be further evidence of a depressive illness. People stop operationg normally.

“We did recover evidence at the scene that linked Mr. Adams to the (Lesslie home) definitively,” Tolson said during a live-streamed news conference Thursday.

He said Adams used two firearms, a .45 and 9 mm, during the killings.

“We don’t have any indication they were illegally obtained,” Tolson said.

He also said that while investigators are still searching for a motive, including the possibility that Adams was upset at being denied medication, they “have no indication right now there was a doctor-patient relationship” between Adams and Dr. Lesslie.

“There’s nothing about this right now that makes sense to any of us,” Tolson said.
Former 49er Suspected of Murder-Suicide in South Carolina | San Jose Inside

*Sometimes I wish I lived in a bubble. This is one of them...

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?
Oh WHY? did he want to hurt the little ones?

Last edited:
The 911 operator repeatedly asks for more details but the man is understandably lacking about the particulars of the grisly incident.

“One’s down,” the man says when asked a general question about additional information.

“One is not moving; one is non-responsive,” when asked a specific question about the technicians’ health status. “The other is talking slurred. And I think he’s been shot in the face or the head or something because he can’t talk. He just keeps saying ‘I’ve been shot, I’ve been shot, call 911, please call 911’ and that’s all he’s been saying.”
“I think we’ve had some trouble at 4456 Marshall Road,” another man says on a separate call.

“What’s going on on Marshall Road?” a second 911 operator asks.

“I think there’s been a bad shooting, maybe four people,” the man replies. “I was cutting grass out in the yard when I heard the shots.”

“How many shots did you hear?” the operator inquires.

“About 20,” the man says. “It’s automatic. I think there’s two outside. Two workers outside. There’s Miss Leslie on the inside of the house.”

“I own the property but I’m away from the house because the guy walked out of the house. It was – I’m quite sure, I seen it from a distance – it looked like a black guy in black clothes carrying something red outside of the house.”

“Don’t go over to the house,” the operator implores when the second caller expresses his fear.

“It’s a large area and we began to assist the victims that we encountered,” Tolson said.
https://lawandcrime.com/crime/hes-b...y-details-about-phillip-adams-murder-suicide/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back