Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent work and comments by all.

Is there an in-between where a cell phone has "enough" service to send pings to a cell tower (looking for service?), but not "enough" service to receive a phone call?

I'm just pondering ways that the phone could still be emitting pings, but have an incoming call go straight to voice mail.

From personal experience I have had sound on my phone only to check my phone for the time or whatever other reason and have a voice mail waiting with no missed call. :twocents:

I know this is contrary to what so many people think, but from all the research I've done on this case (BD's case is part of my graduate thesis), I truly don't think the friends had anything to do with it. I think they are nothing more than a group of snobby excuses for "friends" but that's it. I think it's scarier to think that it was random, but it probably was. These upstate NY kids would have had to truly have planned something out in order to place BD and her phone (assuming the two were together) near the Santee River two hours after she was last heard from. That is south of MB, in the opposite direction they came from. To me, it appears it was someone more local, someone who knew exactly where they were going, and unfortunately, that the Santee is a prime spot for body disposal. I remember Dawn saying authorities had told her that if BD was in the river, she would have been eaten w/in six hours, thus leaving zero evidence of her ever being there. The phone pinging there at its last point of life indicates to me that that is at least where she ended up, if not further south. Someone saw a pretty, small, young girl walking down a busy road with no one around her, and, if you watch the tape of her on her way TO the guys' hotel, pretty engrossed in her phone...if she was just as distracted on her way back, it would have made her an easy target. Super busy street, just stop and grab her, or pleasantly offer her a ride...she was young and described as naive by those around her. I think she realized the danger as soon as she was in the car, b/c for someone who was on their phone with their BF every ten seconds, she immediately stopped writing him back. It's possible the abductor took the phone from her, but didn't turn it off. Maybe it kept ringing and ringing and annoyed him so he finally did turn it off, take out the battery, or it died, or he tossed it from the car somewhere around tower 332, hence the last ping before it was destroyed....so many ifs it is terrible. Any way you look at it, someone's been getting away with this for over three years now and that needs to change!!!

Thanks for stopping by rio. I appreciate your input. Although I can't rule anything out, I agree with a lot of what you have said here. :twocents:

The fact that they aren't talking about it is what makes me think there's involvement. I don't believe all of them are responsible for her disappearance, but I believe all of them know A LOT more than they're saying. I also think that one of the only things that would keep them all shut up is fear. I think someone in Rochester who was on that trip is holding them in fear of saying anything. JMO

I agree Steely Dan. Something is keeping them from talking. What's weird to me is the pics they took at MB but they never tag BD in them. It's like she was some random girl they met on SB?

Facebook has just started to blow up back then. Does brit even have one? I never found one. That's probably why they haven't tagged. Is there a reason her phone records aren't public? Is it possible there is a poi she had been communicating with?

Is there an in-between where a cell phone has "enough" service to send pings to a cell tower (looking for service?), but not "enough" service to receive a phone call?

I'm just pondering ways that the phone could still be emitting pings, but have an incoming call go straight to voice mail.

From personal experience I have had sound on my phone only to check my phone for the time or whatever other reason and have a voice mail waiting with no missed call. :twocents:

That is a good question. If it has happened to you intermittently it might just be that your phone isn't functioning properly, SIM card worn out, maybe your phone is a little older and is 2G or 3G versus 4G? The first part of your question though I do not know. We need a cell phone expert in here.

Facebook has just started to blow up back then. Does brit even have one? I never found one. That's probably why they haven't tagged. Is there a reason her phone records aren't public? Is it possible there is a poi she had been communicating with?

Not that I know of.. I believe she had a myspace at the time, but IIRC, I've heard she deleted it right before leaving for the trip. At that time, Myspace was still more popular for someone her age. Not as many kids had Facebook, mainly college kids. Since the girls/guys she traveled with were all older than her by 2+ years, they probably maintained a Myspace & Facebook page. I created a Facebook just to have one back in 2008/early 2009-ish, but just never really used it because I couldn't figure out how to operate it!! Sound crazy, I know. haha! Like I said, I think it's possible that maybe she had one at one point in time, maybe before leaving for vacation, but didn't use it often. If she did have one, I think someone may have deactivated it after her disappearance, which isn't considered to be uncommon in other cases like hers. A family member or close friend could have done it just to ensure that if Brittanee were to come back home safe that her inbox wouldn't be blown up with messages from strangers, or have a million friend requests from people she didn't know. Instead, she could just re-activate it without having to deal with the hassle of all that nonsense.

I recall DD saying on the program that at first, the boyfriend, other friends and family members were all calling her phone trying to find out what was going on or where she was. DD says that "at first, it would just ring and ring and ring.. and after so long, it just began to go straight to voicemail". LE says that this is how they were able to establish the timeline that they have. Every time someone calls her phone, or sends a text message to her, it will ping to the nearest tower in her area. LE says that is how they were able to verify the stories they had been given from the boyfriend, and also able to see where the other girls did contact BD and supposedly asked for the shorts. Any outbound activity from Brittanee's phone would also cause a ping to the nearest tower, but there was no outbound activity after that last text was sent to the boyfriend. I think judging from what we've been told, it's more than likely that BD was out and about for majority of April 25, 2009. We've been told that she spent time with PB earlier that day, so it's unlikely that she went back to the room to charge her phone. We know that Brittanee was constantly using her phone texting her boyfriend, so I believe it's safe to say that by 8:45pm that night, her phone battery was probably running low. I believe that when her family and boyfriend found out that she was missing, they most likely called and texted her phone so much that it probably died.. thus giving off that last signal around pole yard boat landing. Either that, or whoever was with her turned the phone off and continued traveling, or the phone/battery itself was destroyed (water, fire, etc). It would be a wonderful thing if there was a way to still track activity on these cell phones even if the phone is off, but even with all the technology we have at this day and time, it's impossible :( Many more cases than just Brittanee's would be solved, or at least be a lot closer to being solved.

I've always wondered if maybe the "friends" came and picked up Brittanee and did something with her. I'm friends with PB on facebook, and I've seen a few pictures (outdated pictures, of course) with PB and AL together. Maybe they were already angry that BD had been spending time with PB, and that's what sparked the argument about giving the shorts back? I think it's possible that they contacted her, told her they wanted the shorts back, and in the process of her going back to their hotel they came and picked her up like everything was okay when it really wasn't. I still think it's a long shot though.. Everyone has always been suspicious of their whereabouts when BD went missing, I can't imagine LE just overlooking their phone records or their alibis. It was their last night, it seems like they would have had plans to go to the club and drink or something.. No one has ever heard their alibis of where they were during the time of her disappearance, just that the last time they heard from Brittanee was when they said they needed the shorts back.

On the ID program, think back to when detective Dorio is talking about the cell phone activity- doesn't he say that when the boyfriend became worried, he contacted the group she traveled with to see if they knew where she was? They said no, and Dorio says "that's when they start making calls", and that's how they are able to see that Brittanee's phone is travelling at a significant amount of speed that the phone would have to be inside of a vehicle of some sort. If that group had anything to do with her disappearance, all of their phones would have been pinging at the same location(s) along with Brittanee's when the boyfriend contacted them.. that is, again, assuming he was able to contact them and that their phones were ON. Now, if all of their cell phones were off at that exact time, for those same few hours, and they didn't have a solid alibi to give LE for that night, I think Brittanee's case would have been solved, or one of those kids would have cracked by now. It's unfortunate and I hate to say it, but I don't think they're solely responsible for her disappearance. That doesn't mean I don't think they know more than what they've told LE, though..I think there is a lot more to their stories than what we've heard so far. When they told LE they didn't know anything, the first thing that would have been verified would have been the phone records (IMO).. and I'd like to believe that if LE saw or thought of anything on their records to be unusual, they would be questioning them way more and focusing on them much more instead of RM.

Thinking of Brittanee, I really do hope they find her, this is a solvable case.

Not that I know of.. I believe she had a myspace at the time, but IIRC, I've heard she deleted it right before leaving for the trip.

Respectfully snipped by me for space.

http://www.myspace.com/brittylush

It says it's private, but I have access to the content if you think there might be any info of value.

:twocents:

ETA: After Brittanee disappeared one of her best friends gained access to the page and made posts to inform others that she was missing. Some of the information has been changed, but most of it is still there.

19676_1213295014392_8040288_n.jpg

Come home beautiful Britt!

Two obvious ways it could ping but not receive a call:

- If the phone is on the move in a car, it could ping when it comes in range of a tower but then move out of tower range and miss calls. So the car is driving along, passes a tower, then continues on out of tower range.

- Pings take less power than calls, so a phone with a dying battery can have enough power to ping but not enough power to receive a call.

100% agree with you Christina...this is why I have myself convinced about the "friends" not being involved. If they were all together in vehicle moving south, all of their phones would have pinged in the same places BD's did...plus why would she have all of a sudden stopped texting her BF if she got in the car with these girls who she knew as friends? She was either snatched or got in a vehicle with someone willingly, and very quickly realized she was in trouble. Again either the phone dies from all the activity it begins receiving after it's been on and used all day long, or the suspect destroys it. But for those kids to have been involved would turn up SOMETHING that would place them in or around where she was last known to be. Yeah they have acted nothing like real friends would, and are pretty shady characters...but I think it was pretty obvious from the get go that she had made a mistake going down there with them, and she knew it. Her bf says she was very unhappy, and that home video that surfaced of her in her hotel just 24 hours before she disappeared also shows a very sad looking BD on her phone...she was clearly unhappy there and wanted to get home. Possibly this led her to making a decision that wasn't in her best interest...regardless, I think the friends in general knew they hadn't been acting like friends during the trip, leaving her out, doing drugs, drinking heavily, and that it wasn't going to look good for them that she subsequently disappeared...definitely not friends I would want to surround myself with, but I think the disappearance is a whole other angle altogether. Again, JMHO :)

Also, if your phone is roaming, but not in an area where the phone service is strong, you can get a ping and a voicemail.

If you have phone service, the tower nearest your home is called the HLR, or Home Location Reception. Any towers other than that area called VLR, or Visitor Locator Reception.

Cell phones will hit the HLR first, then bounce to last known location and try to find the phone. If the last known location is a tower for a company that they don't have an agreement with, it will ping (because you have to have 911 service wherever you are) but will go to voicemail for a regular call.

Hope this helps

Also, if your phone is roaming, but not in an area where the phone service is strong, you can get a ping and a voicemail.

If you have phone service, the tower nearest your home is called the HLR, or Home Location Reception. Any towers other than that area called VLR, or Visitor Locator Reception.

Cell phones will hit the HLR first, then bounce to last known location and try to find the phone. If the last known location is a tower for a company that they don't have an agreement with, it will ping (because you have to have 911 service wherever you are) but will go to voicemail for a regular call.

Hope this helps

Does each cell phone company have their own set of cell phone towers or do they borrow each others towers to provide service in certain areas? Does AT&T have their own towers, Verizon has theirs, Sprint the same etc.. I would think they would borrow and then charge you otherwise we would have cell towers all over the landscape. I think someone stated here that BD had cell phone service through AT&T.

Im pretty sure gacebook was well in use way before brit went missing ..Ill have to check the dates but im almost positive it was well up and widely used by everyone..

Ya i just looked and by the end of 2006 facebook was world wide with 77 million users so chances are she would of had a account.

Does each cell phone company have their own set of cell phone towers or do they borrow each others towers to provide service in certain areas? Does AT&T have their own towers, Verizon has theirs, Sprint the same etc.. I would think they would borrow and then charge you otherwise we would have cell towers all over the landscape. I think someone stated here that BD had cell phone service through AT&T.

Each cell phone company has their own towers and "roaming" agreements with other towers. These roaming agreements are signed between companies and allow their customers to use the other companies towers, normally without charge. If you look at your phone, sometimes the name on the phone is different, this is when you are roaming. Some companies have "roaming" agreements that charge.

When you are hitting a tower that does not have a "roaming" agreement with your company, you will still have emergency service (911 calls only) as that is the law. You will ping the tower, but will not be able to make or receive calls other then emergency calls.

Britt, I have been following another case here on WS. The case of Ivy Merck. She was found alive yesterday a few hundred miles from home. Now it's your turn :)

Thanks for stopping by rio. I appreciate your input. Although I can't rule anything out, I agree with a lot of what you have said here. :twocents:

I'm curious if the finding of her phone looked like it were perhaps placed there, rather than say "tossed" there. If someone were disposing of a body in the river, why not toss the phone in as well? Did LE recover fingerprints from the phone? My first reaction is that someone wanted it to be found. If so, why?

I'm curious if the finding of her phone looked like it were perhaps placed there, rather than say "tossed" there. If someone were disposing of a body in the river, why not toss the phone in as well? Did LE recover fingerprints from the phone? My first reaction is that someone wanted it to be found. If so, why?

Welcome to the thread! So happy to have you here!

Brittanee's phone has not been located. Are you talking about the glasses?

yes, the phone has never been located and the glasses were never positively ID'd as being hers either. I think what she means is the fact that the phone last pinged closest to tower 332, which was close enough to the Santee, giving LE good enough reason to search the river, which proved fruitless as well. The phone could be in the river...or it could not. All we know is it last pinged near that tower before it stopped pinging altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95