Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of an announcement by LEO of their intention to arrest someone -- only pressers after the fact. Certainly I have heard them say that they have a new POI or a sketch or something along those lines. If they have arrested someone already I do believe that 1.) We would see this info in the public arrest records and someone would have already caught on and 2.) They PC would have been more immediate (not nearly a week's notice!).

I also don't think they will announce that they have found remains. This too would have brought on an immediate presser AND her parents would already be informed.

Just to touch on a few subjects that have been brought up:

-I have not heard of any connection to Berkeley County and if I'm being honest I haven't yet pulled up a map to determine where it is in relation to MB, Georgetown, or McClellanville. Mlatta, was your new sheriff relocated from a nearby county?

-I know Brittanee has family in Florida, but I cannot determine why DD would retain an attorney based there. I find it interesting that CD has been asked to not speak to the media until the presser takes place.

I maintain that I do not believe they will announce any groundbreaking developments. What I do get the feeling of is that they're going to announce some sort of court proceedings that will take place. In certain cases I have seen suspects charged with murder without a body, but I have not seen any cases go to court without a body NOR a suspect. That said - I think we're looking at something along those lines. I think they're charging somebody with something but it's not going to be what anybody has thought of.

Does anyone think that it's possible someone came forward with information to turn this case in a different direction? It's odd that recent posts on this thread encouraged the Rochester friends to speak up even if they didn't think their info was useful and now, a month later, a presser is announced. :twocents:

The wording on that announcement says the FBI is taking the lead. I guess I assumed the FBI was involved at some level due to the possibility of kidnapping, but with the US attorney present as well it sounds like there must be federal as well as state charges involved.

IIRC, wasn't the FBI requested in the beginning because we were dealing with a minor being taken across state lines? If they are taking the lead in this case I wonder if they are heavily zeroing in on those who took her across those lines...

I find it odd that they are announcing a press conference so far in advance. My hunches tell me that they are simply going to give updates on where they stand in the case and that there aren't any truly groundbreaking developments. IMO, if the info was pressing then we would be having a much quicker PC.

Don't get me wrong though! This is an important move to keep her case at the forefront of minds and also probably a reminder to Myrtle Beach tourists now that it is after Memorial Day to be safe in their travels.

I could be wrong. As always, MOO.

BBM. Not to quote myself (nevermind that is exactly what I'm doing), but found in this link below I think they are basically telling us what they're doing this presser for:

The FBI says they are looking to keep people informed about the case and they are trying to develop additional leads.
More: http://www.whec.com/news/fbi-latest-developments-brittanee-drexel-case/4159070/?cat=565

Of note: they did mention in that same article that the FBI has been using age progression photos. I believe I've seen an age progression sketch, but has anyone seen one of those realistic artist renderings yet? You know the ones where you can't even tell that it's not a photo of an actual person? I don't know that one of those has been released yet and perhaps that is one thing they will be doing Wednesday.

IIRC, wasn't the FBI requested in the beginning because we were dealing with a minor being taken across state lines? If they are taking the lead in this case I wonder if they are heavily zeroing in on those who took her across those lines...

Yes, that could be the explanation, definitely. They tend to stay in the background and let the local/state people make the announcements, but not always.

I wonder if they have enough evidence to charge someone with kidnapping across state lines but not what happened after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM. Not to quote myself (nevermind that is exactly what I'm doing), but found in this link below I think they are basically telling us what they're doing this presser for:

More: http://www.whec.com/news/fbi-latest-developments-brittanee-drexel-case/4159070/?cat=565

Of note: they did mention in that same article that the FBI has been using age progression photos. I believe I've seen an age progression sketch, but has anyone seen one of those realistic artist renderings yet? You know the ones where you can't even tell that it's not a photo of an actual person? I don't know that one of those has been released yet and perhaps that is one thing they will be doing Wednesday.

Yes, but what about that would cause her mother to need a defense lawyer?

Yes, but what about that would cause her mother to need a defense lawyer?

That's a good question. Piggybacking off of your other recent post regarding potentially charging someone with kidnapping across state lines, could it be that her family has retained attorneys because they are the ones going after the kids for kidnapping Brittanee? I can see how that would be big news, reason for a delayed PC, and cause DD to retain legal representation.

I don't understand the portion where it says that her parents are unaware of the news and will be briefed on Tuesday (unless that is just their way of keeping media away from the parents pestering them with questions). Also, maybe they don't want to tip off those kids that they are coming for them.

In response to why DD would need such a high profile lawyer, if it's PB they're looking at then it seems he would also retain a big name.

My 2 cents fwiw.....I am thinking trafficking ring. The fact that 3 counties biggies are involved as well as fbi this is way bigger than a local poi. DD hiring attorney may have so with the fact that MB LE has refused to acknowledge or even contemplate from day one that any such thing exists there and maybe fbi is pointing it in that direction and DD going after MB LE for refusing to explore that angle for fear of hurting tourism. idk....just some thoughts.

My 2 cents fwiw.....I am thinking trafficking ring. The fact that 3 counties biggies are involved as well as fbi this is way bigger than a local poi. DD hiring attorney may have so with the fact that MB LE has refused to acknowledge or even contemplate from day one that any such thing exists there and maybe fbi is pointing it in that direction and DD going after MB LE for refusing to explore that angle for fear of hurting tourism. idk....just some thoughts.

Good to see you RocNYchick. Your theory is plausible...this could be related to trafficking in some way and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

I did find a blog post from Steph Watts via his Facebook page) where he says Nettles office preparing for a trial. This is the trial we will probably hear about on Wednesday. That said, I'm very confused as to why on one status post he mentions that it is terrible that the law enforcement has not briefed the family on what is to be announced and in the very next comment he says "stay tuned, big news." It sounds like the family knows what will be announced but has not heard it from the mouths of the LEOs yet.

I've never heard of an announcement by LEO of their intention to arrest someone -- only pressers after the fact. Certainly I have heard them say that they have a new POI or a sketch or something along those lines. If they have arrested someone already I do believe that 1.) We would see this info in the public arrest records and someone would have already caught on and 2.) They PC would have been more immediate (not nearly a week's notice!).

I also don't think they will announce that they have found remains. This too would have brought on an immediate presser AND her parents would already be informed.

Just to touch on a few subjects that have been brought up:

-I have not heard of any connection to Berkeley County and if I'm being honest I haven't yet pulled up a map to determine where it is in relation to MB, Georgetown, or McClellanville. Mlatta, was your new sheriff relocated from a nearby county?

-I know Brittanee has family in Florida, but I cannot determine why DD would retain an attorney based there. I find it interesting that CD has been asked to not speak to the media until the presser takes place.

I maintain that I do not believe they will announce any groundbreaking developments. What I do get the feeling of is that they're going to announce some sort of court proceedings that will take place. In certain cases I have seen suspects charged with murder without a body, but I have not seen any cases go to court without a body NOR a suspect. That said - I think we're looking at something along those lines. I think they're charging somebody with something but it's not going to be what anybody has thought of.

Does anyone think that it's possible someone came forward with information to turn this case in a different direction? It's odd that recent posts on this thread encouraged the Rochester friends to speak up even if they didn't think their info was useful and now, a month later, a presser is announced. :twocents:

They may announce they have plans to seek an indictment against someone if that person is incarcerated, thus unable to flee. That is what occurred in the Lyons sisters case in MD/VA.

As far as a murder charge without a body, think of Heather Elvis-another Myrtle Beach case that is supposedly going to trial this month. Granted, the murder charge was Nolle Prossed, but the kidnapping charges are going forward and she has never been located. Also, the Lyons sisters mentioned above is a murder case with no bodies.

It is certainly possible someone came forward with additional info. The right information could certainly be a game changer.

They may announce they have plans to seek an indictment against someone if that person is incarcerated, thus unable to flee. That is what occurred in the Lyons sisters case in MD/VA.

As far as a murder charge without a body, think of Heather Elvis-another Myrtle Beach case that is supposedly going to trial this month. Granted, the murder charge was Nolle Prossed, but the kidnapping charges are going forward and she has never been located. Also, the Lyons sisters mentioned above is a murder case with no bodies.

It is certainly possible someone came forward with additional info. The right information could certainly be a game changer.

Your first statement is true and something I hadn't thought of. They might be looking at someone who is already incarcerated and thus no sense of urgency.

What you mention next is what I was trying to describe. I have seen cases of charges pressed where the victim has not been located. What I haven't seen is charges with no body or suspect. With the aforementioned possibility, though, (already in jail) it could possibly be the case.

I have a theory and it is JMO.

Recently in MB/Horry County news there have been rumors and articles on internal police investigations and scandals and forced retirements. I'm wondering if FBI is involved due to police not doing their jobs, etc.etc. Maybe that is why DD hired an attorney. This is one possibility and might not be likely but it has been in the back of my mind since hearing the attorney involvement. DD might be suing the MB police department for failing to follow up on leads that were there maybe protecting some of their own or friends, politicians, wealthy prominent community members.

ETA: I don't believe they would have CD and DD travel to Myrtle Beach if something significant wasn't occurring I also wonder if they are bringing a perp across state lines for arrest/indictment and it will take until Wednesday to have Florida release this person to South Carolina. Maybe DD is hiring an attorney cause she is sick of being lied to and wants to make sure LE is doing everything to bring her daughter justice.

I thought about Dawn hiring the lawyer a lot last night and the conclusion I came to was that she hired a high profile one to act as a liaison between her and LE to get info about the press conference beforehand. I would be upset if I were in her shoes and they didn't even give me the heads up beforehand about the PC.

Also I agree that it's possible a suspect is incarcerated and that's why there is no sense of urgency here. Steph Watts is hinting this is big news so I think we're going to get more than just an update.

I thought about Dawn hiring the lawyer a lot last night and the conclusion I came to was that she hired a high profile one to act as a liaison between her and LE to get info about the press conference beforehand. I would be upset if I were in her shoes and they didn't even give me the heads up beforehand about the PC.

Also I agree that it's possible a suspect is incarcerated and that's why there is no sense of urgency here. Steph Watts is hinting this is big news so I think we're going to get more than just an update.

Who is Steph Watts?

Who is Steph Watts?

I'm not 100% on what role he plays here but I do know his Facebook page was linked to in earlier posts and it seems that he is an investigative journalist/reporter and he seems to have a bit of inside info here. His Facebook posts are public if you want to check them out.

http://wpde.com/news/crime/arrest-made-in-botched-boulevard-abduction

The brother was arrested for the murder of a St. Stephen's girl, but later released for lack of evidence. St. Stephens is in Berkeley County. Investigators from Horry, Berkeley, Charleston County along with FBI will be at the press conference. I think there's been a break in the case and those involved are already incarcerated. JMO

I'm not 100% on what role he plays here but I do know his Facebook page was linked to in earlier posts and it seems that he is an investigative journalist/reporter and he seems to have a bit of inside info here. His Facebook posts are public if you want to check them out.

I did check it out he is a CNN journalist. To paraphrase his words on a Brittanee missing article he shared he said answers are coming soon...justice is coming... He definately knows what is about to break. 7 years is too long to find out what has happened to your daughter.

http://wpde.com/news/crime/arrest-made-in-botched-boulevard-abduction

The brother was arrested for the murder of a St. Stephen's girl, but later released for lack of evidence. St. Stephens is in Berkeley County. Investigators from Horry, Berkeley, Charleston County along with FBI will be at the press conference. I think there's been a break in the case and those involved are already incarcerated. JMO

Looking at that article, I think you might be right.

I wonder if Mom got that lawyer because she is afraid of being sued by people she has been accusing?

I have a theory and it is JMO.

Recently in MB/Horry County news there have been rumors and articles on internal police investigations and scandals and forced retirements. I'm wondering if FBI is involved due to police not doing their jobs, etc.etc. Maybe that is why DD hired an attorney. This is one possibility and might not be likely but it has been in the back of my mind since hearing the attorney involvement. DD might be suing the MB police department for failing to follow up on leads that were there maybe protecting some of their own or friends, politicians, wealthy prominent community members.

ETA: I don't believe they would have CD and DD travel to Myrtle Beach if something significant wasn't occurring I also wonder if they are bringing a perp across state lines for arrest/indictment and it will take until Wednesday to have Florida release this person to South Carolina. Maybe DD is hiring an attorney cause she is sick of being lied to and wants to make sure LE is doing everything to bring her daughter justice.

This could certainly be possible, but the investigations into certain officers and the forced retirements have all involved the Horry County PD (their presence at the news update on Wed. wasn't mentioned in the FBI release). The MBPD has had jurisdiction over this case from the beginning. The Heather Elvis case, OTOH falls under HCPD jurisdiction (as her car was found outside of city limits).

Why would a US Attorney be attending the presser?

"Special Agent in Charge David A. Thomas, FBI; Chief Warren Gall, Myrtle Beach Police Department; Sheriff J. Al Cannon Jr., Charleston County; Sheriff S. Duane Lewis, Berkeley County; Chief Mark Keel, South Carolina Law Enforcement Division; and U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles will be attending the press conference." http://www.southstrandnews.com/20160603/160609935/fbi-to-hold-press-conference-about-disappearance-of-brittanee-drexel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slatchautoclinic