SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a crime in SC for a student only...or for anyone? I mean, could a teacher be charged with a crime under that law?

I am not saying this teacher should or should not be...just wondering if that SC law applies to everyone in the classroom.

Wasn't the other kid charged with contributing to the chaos?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't hear the end of the PC, but that's not what he said in the beginning. I don't know at what point you tuned in.

He said she was being verbally disruptive, in an ongoing way, to the teacher and being disrespectful and disruptive to the classroom process. The teacher called the admin, which was what was expected and right in that situation, and when she refused to leave the room for admin, the RO was called and told by admin to remove her forcefully from the classroom. Up through that point, everything was done correctly and he was happy with it, it was as it should have been. The moment the RO went to actually remove her as told, he used the wrong technique, not one that they've trained with, and not one that's approved. And for that, he was fired.

Again, I don't know if he took some of those statements back at the very end of the PC.

Could you please post a transcript of the PC? No offense, but I would like to read for myself and you said yourself you did not listen to the whole thing, so, naturally you would not be well-informed before commenting. Thank you in advance for the link!

Anyone can be charged with this crime. Sadly I think it was meant to target students though and most LEO, DAs and school admin probably never even think to apply it to themselves.

Is it a crime in SC for a student only...or for anyone? I mean, could a teacher be charged with a crime under that law?

I am not saying this teacher should or should not be...just wondering if that SC law applies to everyone in the classroom.

Could you please post a transcript of the PC? No offense, but I would like to read for myself and you said yourself you did not listen to the whole thing, so, naturally you would not be well-informed before commenting. Thank you in advance for the link!

I don't have a transcript. I am only well-informed about the first nine minutes - I came in at the very beginning, and many in the conversation hadn't heard the first part, which was very interesting and apparently was in somewhat contradiction to the last.

In Texas, it applies to anyone. An adult who comes in and makes a scene or otherwise takes away from instructional classroom time can be charged. And it's not like a traffic ticket thing where you just pay your hundred bucks - it's a crime. I've been very surprised at how heavy handed they can be throwing the book at someone as if a public school is a hallowed temple or something.

P
If all she did as peek at a cell phone, that hardly qualifies as disruptive in my book. And definitely not criminal.

I think teacher should have said something to her once and then let it go. This seems to me as a situation where it took two to tango...meaning, I do not think student was disruptive but rather the disruption occurred as a result of poor handling of the situation. I say this based on information I have of the entire situation from start to end but will concede that I do not know all of what occurred prior to the officer being called in.

Honestly, had she been yakking away on her cell phone, getting a beat down was still not only inappropriate, but downright criminal.

If she pulled out a weapon and assaulted the officer, teacher or another student? Yes. Restrain her in any way necessary to insure the safety of the other children and teachers.

But this trend we are seeing where LE feels footloose and fancy free to shoot, beat, or otherwise assault citizens (and minors) "just because" is total BS.

“The object of terrorism is terrorism. The object of oppression is oppression. The object of torture is torture. The object of murder is murder. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?”
― George Orwell, 1984

“People get used to anything. The less you think about your oppression, the more your tolerance for it grows. After a while, people just think oppression is the normal state of things. But to become free, you have to be acutely aware of being a slave.”
― Assata Shakur, Assata: An Autobiography

And my favorite:

Anne Bradstreet
“Authority without wisdom is like a heavy axe without an edge, fitter to bruise than polish.”
― Anne Bradstreet

I don't have a transcript. I am only well-informed about the first nine minutes - I came in at the very beginning, and many in the conversation hadn't heard the first part, which was very interesting and apparently was in somewhat contradiction to the last.

I watched the entire press conference twice. I saw nothing contradictory from the first to the last including the part I transcribed.

No, he did not try to do that. He flipped her desk over (almost hitting another student with the desk in the process), then flung her across the floor, and handcuffed her inside the classroom. He arrested her inside the class room. He made no attempt to get her to the hall.

Actually, it appears he DID hit the child seated behind the victim, or at least her laptop, which appears to smack into the child.

SMDH.

I watched the entire press conference twice. I saw nothing contradictory from the first to the last including the part I transcribed.

My apologies. I am still catching up. I saw lots of opinion on the PC with no links. Thank you for transcribing! I will catch up shortly, I hope!

And only one student even stepped up to try to stop him and she got arrested too....

That'll teach her never to speak up against injustice again.

Well played, SC and Fields. Well done. :sarcasm:

My guess is, even though she's been charged, the charges will be dropped. I don't think anyone can fault her for that reaction.

After seeing her interviewed I think she learned the opposite lesson and was possibly even empowered by the experience.

My apologies. I am still catching up. I saw lots of opinion on the PC with no links. Thank you for transcribing! I will catch up shortly, I hope!

No apologies necessary. I only transcribed the post where the Sheriif answered what the student had been doing to disrupt the class.

But I don't think the Sheriff condoned what the officer did not in the beginning nor the end.

After seeing her interviewed I think she learned the opposite lesson and was possibly even empowered by the experience.

gosh I hope she learned never ever to allow police or anyone else stomp on your rights.

My guess is, even though she's been charged, the charges will be dropped. I don't think anyone can fault her for that reaction.

I hope all charges will be dropped. She certainly wasn't breaking a law by exercising her constitutional rights.

They were probably interviewed IMO.

He said at a news conference that the department looked at cellphone videos taken from the classroom and interviews with witnesses, and concluded that the maneuvers he used in the confrontation were "not acceptable."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/south-carolina-deputy-ben-fields-fired-job-sheriff-n452881

Lott said they're looking at the videos taken by students inside the class and conducting interviews with the witnesses to determine whether the officer should have escalated the situation with physical force.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...uth-carolina-student-punching-officer-n452481

But why value the opinions of teenagers who are obviously so reprehensible that they require violent physical assault in response to a non-violent infraction? I mean, these are animals, not children.(obviously) If they deserve brutal beatings, why would we poll them to garner "likes"?
:doh:

I haven't read every post on this thread.

Assume your child did something equally disrespectful in class. How many of you who think the officer did the right thing would be okay with an officer doing the same to your child in school?

I thought that is why we took corporal punishment OUT of schools.

I honestly cannot believe that anyone thinks this is okay.

And yet so many do. Heartbreaking.

But this is why we are such a violent, back-biting, vindictive society.
God help us, because we sure won't. :(

P

Honestly, had she been yakking away on her cell phone, getting a beat down was still not only inappropriate, but downright criminal.

If she pulled out a weapon and assaulted the officer, teacher or another student? Yes. Restrain her in any way necessary to insure the safety of the other children and teachers.

But this trend we are seeing where LE feels footloose and fancy free to shoot, beat, or otherwise assault citizens (and minors) "just because" is total BS.

“The object of terrorism is terrorism. The object of oppression is oppression. The object of torture is torture. The object of murder is murder. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?”
― George Orwell, 1984

“People get used to anything. The less you think about your oppression, the more your tolerance for it grows. After a while, people just think oppression is the normal state of things. But to become free, you have to be acutely aware of being a slave.”
― Assata Shakur, Assata: An Autobiography

And my favorite:

Anne Bradstreet
“Authority without wisdom is like a heavy axe without an edge, fitter to bruise than polish.”
― Anne Bradstreet

Wonderful quotes. I just want to be certain that we don't let educators off the hook. LE didn't come storming into our schools. Educators begged that they be there. Our schools bear a responsibility in criminalizing school dscipline and creating the school to prison pipeline. I am encouraged by the teachers posting who would never allow this in their classroom. Still it happens, down the hall, down the block, or across town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawk53