SC - Cristina Pangalangan, 13, special needs, died in hot car, Colleton County, Aug 2019 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think extreme recklessness makes sense and the instructions say that malice can be inferred from that, thereby leading to murder.

So does Rita see this and go back in and tell him and they both chose to ignore the dying or dead child??? Or did they just not care?? Which would show malice for sure.
I would agree with your conclusion.

The fact that she went back, saw the child in the car and knew it was a hot day in South Carolina, and still did nothing to attempt to save the child moves the circumstances into the 'murder' category for me.

I could see an indifference case going "negligent homicide" if say:

Ok, we had care taker burn out and wanted some substance fueled "alone time". So... on a cool day in early fall in Iowa, we put the windows half down, buckled her in and locked the car.

Went back to check on her and she was very agitated, but physically ok. Went back in the house for more of, well, several things. Came back 4 hours later. The child had somehow strangled herself with the seat belt.

Last edited:
I would agree with your conclusion.

The fact that she went back, saw the child in the car and knew it was a hot day in South Carolina, and still did nothing to attempt to save the child moves the circumstances into the 'murder' category for me.

I could see an indifference case going "negligent homicide" if say:

Ok, we had care taker burn out and wanted some substance fueled "alone time". So... on a cool day in early fall in Iowa, we put the windows half down, buckled her in and locked the car.

Went back to check on her and she was agitated, but physically ok. Went back in the house in a foggy state for more of, well, "alot". Came back hours later. The child had somehow strangled herself with the seat belt.
Yes that’s a good scenario for negligence. From listening to the charge conference, my understanding is that in this instance state is not even arguing negligence. It’s malice inferred from extreme recklessness. Extreme disregard for human life due to hatred and ill-will for the child is my laywoman’s understanding of it. I’m no lawyer and I know the law is very nuanced so I can’t say the diff between negligence and recklessness despite many hours of trial watching and playing amateur lawyer.

I can’t imagine a scenario where Rita goes inside and just forgets to say anything about what she had to have seen in the car. If she did say something to Larry, there’s your conspiracy. And if she didn’t even bother to check on the child while in the car despite the extreme heat then 100% malice on her part. Was that due to the drugs or hatred and ill-will for Christina is hard to decipher for me. But in that latter scenario I don’t know where that leaves Larry. JMO

I really hope one or more jurors speak out! I would love to hear how they arrived at their decision. This is a very interesting and complex set of facts.

I think Larry King has been resigned to his fate from the beginning of the trial. If they didn’t buy the conspiracy charge that means they thought they each independently felt hatred/ill-will for the child.

Larry King seems to have owned his part in this. And showed remorse. Rita on the other hand! Wow. Judge reading letters from her friends and family now in a tone of mockery! These letters are a joke! They’re all about Rita and Christina is but a footnote. I love this judge too!

Rita’s lawyer tried to check the judge for reading these letters out loud the way he’s doing it. I’m guessing Attorney Phillips picked up on the hint of mockery that I’m also perceiving. Judge shut him down!

Larry King seems to have owned his part in this. And showed remorse. Rita on the other hand! Wow. Judge reading letters from her friends and family now in a tone of mockery! These letters are a joke! They’re all about Rita and Christina is but a footnote. I love this judge too!
I wonder if most (or all) of them were written before they saw all the video footage.

All these testimonial letters in favor of Rita and her character . . . a bit much. (IMO). One letter stated that although her fellow co-workers were young enough to be her children or grandchildren, she worked circles around them.

Is she still doing meth?

When Judge Neuman said what she did was worse I thought he was going to give her LWOP. Anyway I agree with the judge her actions were worse. I think Larry’s crime is not in equal footing with hers ESPECIALLY because SHE went back to the car an hour later and had to have seen the child. JMO

I wonder if most (or all) of them were written before they saw all the video footage.
I saw it as typical enabling behavior. Addicts and extremely self-centered types pull in people who regard them with no skepticism. I think even if they didn’t see the video they had to know the basic facts. I can’t imagine finding out someone left a helpless child to burn in their car for hours and feeling sympathy for the parent. Or perhaps as part of their enabling they didn’t ask any questions and supported her unconditionally because she’s so “nice”. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back